• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attention 7A Soccer Fans / post scores here

Started by sevenof400, February 22, 2011, 10:42:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

centralsoccawatcha

Quote from: futbolfollower on May 04, 2011, 09:37:11 am
Bryant faked injuries to score? Really? Hmmmmm. Something just doesn't feel right about that.

I heard about this and from what I understand it wasn't a minor collision. Parents have told me that you could hear the boys's bodies smack into one another. To me this is just plain wrong...I know some will argue that it was "funny" or "clever", but to me it takes away from the purity of the game. It mocks the idea of players being injured, and what should the refs think if later on in the game two players collide and it looks like an injury? Ignore it? Just a class-less, cheap trick to me. I think the players they have are too good for something like that. Their coach should be ashamed...

Soccer84

In my opinion, I think the referees called a good game and kept things level headed with Conway and Bryant.  As for the free kick incident, I have to agree with the referee not calling anything.  Simulating/Faking a foul is the closest thing to call in that situation BUT two teammates running into each other is not a foul.  You can look at it from a couple different angles:

a) Not blow the whistle (what the referee did)
b) Blow the whistle at the moment of the collision to check on the players for injury.  (I think the referees will have full support of coaches/AAA for insuring the safety of the players)

I agree in the "spirit of the game" that the play was in the wrong context of the sport.  I think Bryant is a better team than resorting to that type of play.  It clearly showed with a 3-0 at Conway.  However, players are taught to play until you hear the whistle.  In this case, Conway was caught off guard and didn't defend properly on a setpiece that resulted in a goal.

I would like to know what AAA's ruling would be on this.  I think the last thing you want is a State Championship game being remembered as a 1-0 win in favor of a team that scored on a play like this.  I think other teams will take note of this on Bryant's sake and be better prepared going forward.

futbolfollower

Can someone describe the sequence of the the play in the Bryant v Conway game? I don't quite get what exactly happened when there's talk about no whistle but also about a       
free kick/set piece

United11

Im interested to hear more about it too.  The issue for me is less about what the ref did and more about a coach allowing (or god-forbid, teaching) his players to do something like this.  Misdirection is one thing, but feigned injury is not ok for me.

Arbitro

May 04, 2011, 10:47:26 am #204 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:13:23 pm by Arbitro
Quote from: Soccer84 on May 04, 2011, 10:16:05 am
In my opinion, I think the referees called a good game and kept things level headed with Conway and Bryant.  As for the free kick incident, I have to agree with the referee not calling anything.  Simulating/Faking a foul is the closest thing to call in that situation BUT two teammates running into each other is not a foul. 
Trying to judge whether a player is injured sufficiently to whistle the play dead is often tricky for the referee.  I wasn't at this game so I can't offer an opinion on whether the referee acted correctly.  Since the players weren't injured, perhaps he did.  How long after the collision before the kick was taken?  A couple of seconds, or longer?  It makes little sense to second guess a decision made if the time period was very short.

Did the players collide and just fall to the ground, or did they make exaggerated actions to pretend to be injured?  If they pretended to be hurt and then jumped up high fiving after the goal was scored, the referee would have been justified in Cautioning (yellow card) one or both of them.  Simulating or exaggerating an injury is a cautionable offense, but it takes a very confident and thick-skinned referee to make that call in any but the most blatant situations.

futbolfollower

Maybe an aha moment...
So I'm guessing that Bryant was in the process of taking a free kick (from where I wonder), had two guys intentionally run into each other and go down faking injury (sounds as if that's the case according to at least one Bryant fan/player posting that it was a "trick play") and were loud and demonstrative  enough about it to draw Conway players attention to them and away from play out of concern and respect for the "injured" players, and Bryant took a lightly defended or undefended shot on goal for the free kick score. Is that about right?

centralsoccawatcha

Quote from: futbolfollower on May 04, 2011, 11:07:33 am
Maybe an aha moment...
So I'm guessing that Bryant was in the process of taking a free kick (from where I wonder), had two guys intentionally run into each other and go down faking injury (sounds as if that's the case according to at least one Bryant fan/player posting that it was a "trick play") and were loud and demonstrative  enough about it to draw Conway players attention to them and away from play out of concern and respect for the "injured" players, and Bryant took a lightly defended or undefended shot on goal for the free kick score. Is that about right?

That's what I have heard...like I said...parents said you could hear the collision from the stands. And it was obvious the boys had been 'coached' to do this...I use that term loosely.

Soccer84

PressBox-81

Bryant was lined up for a free kick just outside the right corner of the goal box (20 yds) and Conway had their wall set.  3 players for Bryant were around the ball.  Two players broke on the ball at the same time and ran into each other and made sure they sold it like they had ran over each other and went to ground as if in pain.  The entire wall for Conway looked at the players down to include the goalie.  At this moment #10 for Bryant ripped a shot to the backside of the goal and it went in.  The intent of the play was to make Conway look at the players down at the supposed injured players and that is exactly what they did.

Whether it was clever coaching or playing on kids emotions it worked and caught Conway looking.  Conway lost its primary center back right before this to a back injury so they were a little gun shy on players being injured.  In the game the trainer had to go on the field and help Conway players off at least 3 times in the game so yes it was the usual physical game you get with Bryant.

United11

That's pretty ridiculous.  I'd be curious to know if they warned the ref about that ahead of time, and if so, how people would feel about that as justification.  Either way, pretty cheap.

arkansas_traveller

Quote from: United11 on May 04, 2011, 01:03:04 pm
That's pretty ridiculous.  I'd be curious to know if they warned the ref about that ahead of time, and if so, how people would feel about that as justification.  Either way, pretty cheap.
If the ref was warned beforehand then the "ruse" could and should have been considered unsporting behavior.   I believe the laws of the game would call for a foul to be called and the kick awarded to the defending team before the goal was made.

I've noticed that any game with Bryant HS girls, they show up wearing black and blue and the other teams leave black and blue.  I suspect the boys games are the same.

Arbitro

May 04, 2011, 02:50:43 pm #211 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:01:45 pm by Arbitro
Quote from: arkansas_traveller on May 04, 2011, 01:16:59 pm
If the ref was warned beforehand then the "ruse" could and should have been considered unsporting behavior.   I believe the laws of the game would call for a foul to be called and the kick awarded to the defending team before the goal was made.
This is actually more complicated than you might think.  First, this is not a foul situation because it involves two players from the same team.  Second, the restart would depend upon when the referee intervened.  If the players collided, feigned injury, and the referee stopped the action before the ball was kicked, then the restart would be a free kick for the team in possession (Bryant) whether the referee wanted to check them for injury or caution them for USB.  If the kick had been taken but the goal was not yet scored when the referee blew the play dead, the restart would be determined by the reason the referee stopped play.  If he stopped it due to injury the restart would likely be a dropped ball (no one in possession), but if he stopped play solely to caution the "injured" players then the restart would be a IFK for the defense (Conway).  If the ball had already entered the goal before the referee intervened, the goal might stand if he decided that the misconduct occurred after the ball crossed the line.  Under FIFA rules there is some maneuvering room because play is stopped when the referee makes the decision to stop it, not when he blows the whistle.  I am not sure if NFHS makes this distinction.
I personally don't like the strategy, but if the players collided and fell down without obviously faking an injury, it may fit within the bounds of the law.  Beyond that it ends up being a judgment call by the referee.

futbolfollower

This is not the first conversation on this board about Bryant players', fans', and team conduct. Faking injuries to take advantage of the concern of opposing players to distract from play and score is, if not against the rules, clearly unethical. Bryant relied on the ethical concern inherent in each one of us to complete an unethical play. This was and is classless. Just as ripping off shirts and celebrating midfield, constant mouthing, play that blatantly disregards the safety of others, taunting an opposing keeper after winning a PK shootout, and on and on is classless. But this may go even beyond all of that.
  Who coaches this team? Allowing all of that to go on with those boys, and especially coaching to do these things, is a shame. If it is true that a team is often a reflection of the coach and his attitude....well... someone needs to get a handle on these kids. A high school coach's responsibility goes well beyond W's and L's and should be at least partially teaching kids respect for others and themselves, about right and wrong.  C'mon Bryant. You're working on a rep and it's not a good one.

arkansas_traveller

Quote from: Arbitro on May 04, 2011, 02:50:43 pm
This is actually more complicated than you might think.  First, this is not a foul situation because it involves two players from the same team.  Second, the restart would depend upon when the referee intervened.  If the players collided, feigned injury, and the referee stopped the action before the ball was kicked, then the restart would be a free kick for the team in possession (Bryant) whether the referee wanted to check them for injury or caution them for USB.  If the kick had been taken but the goal was not yet scored when the referee blew the play dead, the restart would be determined by the reason the referee stopped play.  If he stopped it due to injury the restart would likely be a dropped ball (no one in possession), but if he stopped play solely to caution the "injured" players then the restart would be a IFK for the defense (Conway).  If the ball had already entered the goal before the referee intervened, the goal might stand if he decided that the misconduct occurred after the ball crossed the line.  Under FIFA rules there is some maneuvering room because play is stopped when the referee makes the decision to stop it, not when he blows the whistle.  I am not sure if NFHS makes this distinction.
I personally don't like the strategy, but if the players collided and fell down without obviously faking an injury, it may fit within the bounds of the law.  Beyond that it ends up being a judgment call by the referee.

That's much more in-depth but right along the same lines.  I was going on the assumption that the ref would have known beforehand that Bryant was going to do this and that his judgment call margin would be very narrow.  I also know I can't impose my sensibilities on the refs. :)

BTW, I knew I was going to get a slap from someone.  I hope it was because of the "black and blue" TRUTH!

arksoc

I haven't seen Bryant play much this year. But if they are, in fact, guilty of all they are being accused of both in this game and in general, then the referees are clearly not enforcing the rules. There are provisions in the rules for all this sort of thing...stiffer than USSF. There should be yellow (and some red) cards all around for this kind of nonsense. It is, indeed, both classless and outside the rules and should be dealt with. That being said, I would probably be a chicken, too, if I was the ref who was faced with dealing with it! I have seen Bryant parents/fans in action and it's too often not been pretty.

PressBox-81

They tried the same play on Monday night against Van Buren on a free kick but missed the shot.  So they took another try with the play against Conway and it worked.  Doubt they get to use that anymore since everyone is aware of the play.

trevster10

I heard it wasn't so much as the Conway players were concerned, but that they were doubled over with laughter?

I wasn't there, so who knows what really happened. That's just what I read in the newspaper.

PressBox-81

Quote from: trevster10 on May 05, 2011, 07:38:32 am
I heard it wasn't so much as the Conway players were concerned, but that they were doubled over with laughter?

I wasn't there, so who knows what really happened. That's just what I read in the newspaper.

Trev he really wrote that they "doubled over in laughter".  I just went back watched the video again and I missed an important step of the play here.  The player lined up on the ball merely slid a ball into the box about the 11 meter and a Bryant player ran to it and finished the shot.  The entire Conway team was looking at the players on the ground and might add they were NOT laughing but merely turned their heads but it was enough to allow the player to get the shot off.

In the end it is a nice trick play but not sure it will work any more this year.

futbolfollower

Quote from: trevster10 on May 05, 2011, 07:38:32 am

Quote directly from the article in the Bryant paper. First line of the article in fact:

"At first, the Conway Wampus Cat soccer fans were laughing. But in a flash, they were stunned into silence."

Nowhere in the article does it say the Conway players were laughing. The only other mention of any player or fan reaction:

"...No one moved but Rowlan who drilled the ball into the net to the game's first goal.
It was all choreographed by Hay and executed to a tee by his players. And it left the Conway fans and players dazed and confused. Conway coach Robert Irons was incensed..."

Don't try to gloss over the play by misquoting your local paper.

If the two involved in colliding just ran into each other, flopped, and got up kudos to the Bryant coach for the play and Conway just didn't stay focused on the game. If they kids in any way played it as if they were injured on the play then  they and their coach crossed a boundary that someone should get a harsh talking to about at the very least.

Arowly10

Do you have a link that we could access the video from.. I'm interested to see it!

SirSoccer

Please do post video..
This is not a NICE TRICK PLAY, it is complete trash, coaches and players should be suspended.  Ref should have stopped play before kick and checked on kids, or straight booked them if the ref could tell it was fake.

If this is really played out how it seems on the board, that is one of the trashiest things i've seen in the sport.   

trevster10

Hey, whoa whoa whoa.

I wasn't even there, I was just talking about what I read on bryantdaily. Sorry for misunderstanding, I'll let y'all duke this out. ;)

PressBox-81

The quickest and best way to overcome a bad game is to go out and win your next game convincingly.

VB Conway 6 Van Buren 1

futbolfollower

Quote from: trevster10 on May 05, 2011, 05:12:08 pm
Hey, whoa whoa whoa.

I wasn't even there, I was just talking about what I read on bryantdaily. Sorry for misunderstanding, I'll let y'all duke this out. ;)

No problem. I was just pointing out that what you said you read in The Bryant Daily was nowhere in the Bryant daily!

trevster10

Quote from: futbolfollower on May 05, 2011, 07:51:54 pm
Quote from: trevster10 on May 05, 2011, 05:12:08 pm
Hey, whoa whoa whoa.

No problem. I was just pointing out that what you said you read in The Bryant Daily was nowhere in the Bryant daily!

I only skimmed it, thanks for clarification!

futboliac

Central VB over NLR.    8-0 I believe

trevster10

Bryant VB 3
Cabot VB 2

Heard the Bryant girls won as well.

LRfan

5/5/11

VG

Mount St Mary 3  Russelville 1

VB

Catholic 3  Russelville 0

futboliac

trevster10

I honestly have no idea.

I wasn't there, just going off what a friend told me.

But I'm not sure if I would have known regardless. I apologize.

sirgiggs

SirSoccer

soccer33

NLR girls beat Central in PK... 3-3 at end of regulation 4-3 in pks

CatsBack

Hornet-Hawg

futboliac

huntsleepsoccer

I've noticed that any game with Bryant HS girls, they show up wearing black and blue and the other teams leave black and blue.  I suspect the boys games are the same.

A couple of things about the girls showing up in black and blue and other teams leaving black and blue:

1.Blue and white are the school colors.
2.Their warm-ups are black.
3.They can't do anything about their warm-ups being black.
4.Another thing if you cant handle a bruise maybe soccer isn't your sport!

huntsleepsoccer

Quote from: arksoc on May 04, 2011, 05:45:47 pm
I haven't seen Bryant play much this year. But if they are, in fact, guilty of all they are being accused of both in this game and in general, then the referees are clearly not enforcing the rules. There are provisions in the rules for all this sort of thing...stiffer than USSF. There should be yellow (and some red) cards all around for this kind of nonsense. It is, indeed, both classless and outside the rules and should be dealt with. That being said, I would probably be a chicken, too, if I was the ref who was faced with dealing with it! I have seen Bryant parents/fans in action and it's too often not been pretty.

Bryant parents/fans aren't as bad as a Benton parent that punched one of the Bryant kids in the face at a game!

SirSoccer

Quote from: futboliac on May 06, 2011, 09:24:12 am
Quote from: SirSoccer on May 06, 2011, 07:12:41 am
he isn't that good anyways.

Haa! Do I detect a bit of sarcasm?

no, I mean, he is good in comparison to arkansas players, but he isn't that great overall.  Just self promotes a lot and people here are quick to follow any hype.

futboliac

Quote from: SirSoccer on May 06, 2011, 05:37:37 pm
Quote from: futboliac on May 06, 2011, 09:24:12 am
Quote from: SirSoccer on May 06, 2011, 07:12:41 am
he isn't that good anyways.

Haa! Do I detect a bit of sarcasm?

no, I mean, he is good in comparison to arkansas players, but he isn't that great overall.  Just self promotes a lot and people here are quick to follow any hype.

He definitely promotes himself and seems to be full of himself in a way that goes beyond confidence well into cockiness. But he is also a very talented kid who for better or worse gets much attention from other teams.
I was just curious whether Bryant beat Cabot with Cabot's best player in, at partial strength, or sitting. Sounds like he was sitting. Thanks

Cp14

Cabot was without hidalgo all game and they had to sit a starting center mid the second half due to injury.  Cabot had probably 20 shots on goal and just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

arkansas_traveller

Quote from: huntsleepsoccer on May 06, 2011, 05:13:29 pm

A couple of things about the girls showing up in black and blue and other teams leaving black and blue:

1.Blue and white are the school colors.
2.Their warm-ups are black.
3.They can't do anything about their warm-ups being black.
4.Another thing if you cant handle a bruise maybe soccer isn't your sport!

Distinction of the classical concept of soccer vs. the  Bryant concept of soccer:
Beat your opponent to the ball vs. beat your opponent off the ball.

softred

Quote from: huntsleepsoccer on May 06, 2011, 05:15:44 pm

Bryant parents/fans aren't as bad as a Benton parent that punched one of the Bryant kids in the face at a game!
This a soccer thread not a thread about getting caught stealing hubcaps.

LRfan

May 07, 2011, 07:14:23 am #243 Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:16:43 am by LRfan
Quote from: softred on May 06, 2011, 11:32:07 pm

This a soccer thread not a thread about getting caught stealing hubcaps.

If a team is stealing hubcaps during the game, maybe it should be.

Hornets Soccer

Bryant parents/fans aren't as bad as a Benton parent that punched one of the Bryant kids in the face
at a game!

Bryant parents are not any worse than any others, (with exception of the students section, their terrible) I'm sure we sound louder but that could be because there's generally more there supporting our team than others. And as far as the black and blue comment, that's silly, out of all the schools playing I'd think the Conway bs Bryant games would be the most intense. These girls have played against each other since they we're 7 or 8 years old and the two games this year was the best two games I've seen. As far as I know they were pretty clean, and the Conway fans were very good winners both games. I doubt we play any team any harder than We do Conway but hey, the Lady Hoenets play their best against the best. St. Mary's beat us up there, the game was clean, Bryant fans did get upset due to a hand ball in the box on their second goal that the young lady from St. Marys even knew happen, but during that game a fan from there side called one of our girls a f-ing B word. The St. Mary's AD had to address their behavior. We all get into this school bashing more than nessary, I'll admit I do, but Bryant does have as much class and soccer ethics as any other school out there.

State stats this week, I'm pulling for a all 7A Cental Championship and will be pulling for a
Ny school here over the west.
Go HORNETS

SirSoccer

May 07, 2011, 12:22:19 pm #245 Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:01:04 pm by SirSoccer
Quote from: Hornets Soccer on May 07, 2011, 11:44:17 am

We all get into this school bashing more than nessary, I'll admit I do, but Bryant does have as much class and soccer ethics as any other school out there.

State stats this week, I'm pulling for a all 7A Cental Championship and will be pulling for a
Go HORNETS

If Bryant faked the injury for the free kick... they have no class.

PressBox-81

VB Catholic 4 Conway 0

makeup due to called game because of rain earlier.

futbolfollower

Quote from: Hornets Soccer on May 07, 2011, 11:44:17 am

Bryant parents/fans aren't as bad as a Benton parent that punched one of the Bryant kids in the face
at a game!

Bryant parents are not any worse than any others, (with exception of the students section, their terrible) I'm sure we sound louder but that could be because there's generally more there supporting our team than others. And as far as the black and blue comment, that's silly, out of all the schools playing I'd think the Conway bs Bryant games would be the most intense. These girls have played against each other since they we're 7 or 8 years old and the two games this year was the best two games I've seen. As far as I know they were pretty clean, and the Conway fans were very good winners both games. I doubt we play any team any harder than We do Conway but hey, the Lady Hoenets play their best against the best. St. Mary's beat us up there, the game was clean, Bryant fans did get upset due to a hand ball in the box on their second goal that the young lady from St. Marys even knew happen, but during that game a fan from there side called one of our girls a f-ing B word. The St. Mary's AD had to address their behavior. We all get into this school bashing more than nessary, I'll admit I do, but Bryant does have as much class and soccer ethics as any other school out there.

Go HORNETS

Constant mouthing and disregard for opposing players, taunting opposing keepers after PK shootouts, ripping off shirts and celebrating midfield, faking injury to get opposing teams attention in order to score.........
Nope. Your definitely exceptional. No other team can match Bryant. Go  Hornets

Hornets Soccer

Evidently none of you who replied to my post can read! So I'm assuming that's whoever read my comment to you left out the part that shows I'm speaking about the girls. I have no idea what anyone is talking about, ripping off shirts, bashing players, constant mouthing. If the boys fans do that I guess all you perfect people have the right to get on here, mouth, bash, put down and criticize Bryant. Some day Bryant will have good sports fans like yaw! They won't say anything at the game, in fear someone will hear and notice who they are, they will just quietly go home, get one their computer behind a screen name and bow up!!! Until then bear with the mean ole loud Bryant fans until they grow up like you.  >:(

futbolfollower

Quote from: Hornets Soccer on May 07, 2011, 06:20:37 pm
Evidently none of you who replied to my post can read! So I'm assuming that's whoever read my comment to you left out the part that shows I'm speaking about the girls. I have no idea what anyone is talking about, ripping off shirts, bashing players, constant mouthing. If the boys fans do that I guess all you perfect people have the right to get on here, mouth, bash, put down and criticize Bryant. Some day Bryant will have good sports fans like yaw! They won't say anything at the game, in fear someone will hear and notice who they are, they will just quietly go home, get one their computer behind a screen name and bow up!!! Until then bear with the mean ole loud Bryant fans until they grow up like you.  >:(

Ahhhh. There it is. A true Bryant fan shows up with the sarcastic lashing out.
Apply your sarcastic comment to yourself about reading. This entire thread has been about the boys team, their classless acts, and their coach's responsibility to change that. There have been very few if any mention of fans, although you held true to your rep, and NO mention of the girls team.. Want to talk about the girls start a new line of discussion and don't creep on this one.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas