• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running During Summer

Started by MHSGrad, July 13, 2014, 09:57:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MHSGrad

Anyone working out during the summer? What goals do you have set to hopefully reach? Anyone running in any 5ks or other road races?

I just started running again, and it is nearly impossible in this muggy Arkansas weather. I can't wait until I get over the first 2 weeks, which always seem to be the worst.

Softball Dave

I have started running again with Cody, as he trains to go run for SAU this fall. But I can tell that I am getting older, at age 44. The muscles just don't respond like they use to. But I am trying to stick with it. We've been running on a 6/10 of a mile grass course, & it's definitely different from running on the roads. I just yesterday got to where I could run 3 miles, without stopping, on the course. I almost finished the 3 miles before Cody lapped me. So was excited about that, but I am feeling it today. I hope to run a few 5Ks later in the year to see where I am at. But right now just building a base. And it will help get me in shape for officiating football in a little over a month. Even though you're tired after a run, it always makes you feel good knowing you're doing something to stay in shape & it makes you want to keeping going.

DogsWin7

I've logged almost 200 miles for this month.   I try to run early but the heat doesn't really bother me.   My goals have been endurance.   Increasing my long runs.  I wanted speed but find at almost 40 it's a little hard to do after not running for the past several yrs.   

Do you use apps to record your mileage, pace etc.?     I about have to have music to listen too, but only on the track.

Softball Dave

I have an app called RunnerKeeper on my phone. It tracks your mileage, has GPS, allows you to play music, you can set it for running or biking, it tells your time & pace each mile, & tells you when you set a new "record" for yourself. Then after your run, you can save the activity & go back to look at your splits for each mile. I have used this with Cody's runs, while I bike behind him to let him know where he is at pace wise. It's a free app & we have really enjoyed using it.

Jack1990

Quote from: Softball Dave on July 25, 2014, 06:41:04 am
I have an app called RunnerKeeper on my phone. It tracks your mileage, has GPS, allows you to play music, you can set it for running or biking, it tells your time & pace each mile, & tells you when you set a new "record" for yourself. Then after your run, you can save the activity & go back to look at your splits for each mile. I have used this with Cody's runs, while I bike behind him to let him know where he is at pace wise. It's a free app & we have really enjoyed using it.
Its RunKeeper isn't it?  I have RunKeeper, but never heard of RunnerKeeper.

DogsWin7

They have MapMyRun, Nike Pro, a lot of free apps anymore to help with tracking physical activity.   

Softball Dave

I'm sorry! You are right it is RunKeeper. I need to learn to proof read my stuff.

MHSGrad

Welp.. I have lost nearly 20 lbs this past month.. I can definitely feel it in my joints, but running is getting a little easier.. Right now, I am run/walking 30-40 mins to build back up my lungs. Once I hit my target weight, a sub 20 5k should be possible again. I'm enjoying this weather, though. With my move to Fayetteville next week, I cannot wait to get back on the trails and hills!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas