• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Team Camps

Started by Catfish, July 10, 2014, 10:14:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Catfish

How's everybody's team calm going? Bay?

Bayhoopfan13

July 10, 2014, 04:08:21 pm #1 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:12:09 pm by Bayhoopfan13
I havnt  got to watch them  but i heard they have beat BIC 30 Brookland 30 Valley View 10-15 and beat GCT Today in a close one.

Oldref

Been to several games the past two weeks at Bay. Saw several teams that should do very well this year in their conference and state. Schools from 1A to 6A in camp both boys and girls.  Best game I saw so far was Bay and GCT  Sr Boys with Bay winning on a 3 at buzzer. Nettleton is also really athletic and physical. Bay has won all their games so far. Playing teams like GCT, Nettleton, Valley View, Brookland, Cave City, Highland, Tuckerman, BIC, Riverside, Manila should make any team better.  There are some really good coaches in this area and it is evident to those attending the games at camp they are working hard to make their teams better. Same goes for the girls........lots of hard work going on to get better. Still several days left and lots of games this week.

Hogfan167

A friend of mine from Brookland who saw Bay play at camp said Bay looked very good. He didnt think any 1A teams would be able to hang with them. Guess we'll find out starting in October.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Hogfan167 on July 19, 2014, 08:28:46 pm
A friend of mine from Brookland who saw Bay play at camp said Bay looked very good. He didnt think any 1A teams would be able to hang with them. Guess we'll find out starting in October.

Heck the ought to win it. The have the best plays and the best coach.

Oldref

Having basketball withdrawals this week since the team camps are over at Bay. Saw lots of good basketball teams the past two weeks from 1A thru 6A boys and girls at camp. NEA is once again going to have lots of good teams. Should be a fun year......cant wait for it to start!!

bscinar

July 22, 2014, 10:08:47 pm #6 Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:11:24 pm by bscinar
4A is going to be interesting. Westside, Brookland, and Pokey are very talented again. Valley View moving to 5a is probably a blessing in disguise for them.
Bay Sr boys are loaded this year. Bay jr high girls will be a force for the next few years.
Bring on October.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: bscinar on July 22, 2014, 10:08:47 pm
4A is going to be interesting. Westside, Brookland, and Pokey are very talented again. Valley View moving to 5a is probably a blessing in disguise for them.
Bay Sr boys are loaded this year. Bay jr high girls will be a force for the next few years.
Bring on October.

Did bay get any other players in ither than the Watson kid?

bscinar

Quote from: fann07 on July 22, 2014, 11:20:07 pm
Bring on October.
no - he was the only move in. Last years team started two freshman, two sophs and 1 senior.  Still a young team, but with some experience.

Oldref

Quote from: bscinar on July 22, 2014, 11:27:46 pm
Bring on October.
no - he was the only move in. Last years team started two freshman, two sophs and 1 senior.  Still a young team, but with some experience.

Jr Girls had a player school choice to Bay from Trumann that is a really good player and a 9th grader......she may play in Sr high since they need the numbers and she can help them. If she plays Jr high  they could be the class of NEA in Jr Girls........might be even if she moves to Sr High.  Jr boys had a 9th grade player come back from Nettleton that will help them. He lived in the Bay district all along but went to Nettleton for the past couple of years......good player about 6'2 who will only get better playing for Coach Brannen. Jr boys lost 4 starters who moved to Sr high from last year team. They are rebuilding but have one really good player coming back.

J.D.

Quote from: Oldref on July 23, 2014, 12:52:49 pm
Bring on October.

Jr Girls had a player school choice to Bay from Trumann that is a really good player and a 9th grader......she may play in Sr high since they need the numbers and she can help them. If she plays Jr high  they could be the class of NEA in Jr Girls........might be even if she moves to Sr High.  Jr boys had a 9th grade player come back from Nettleton that will help them. He lived in the Bay district all along but went to Nettleton for the past couple of years......good player about 6'2 who will only get better playing for Coach Brannen. Jr boys lost 4 starters who moved to Sr high from last year team. They are rebuilding but have one really good player coming back.

Will Bay be able to challenge Nemo in a few years?

Oldref

Quote from: J.D. on July 23, 2014, 12:59:26 pm
Quote from: Oldref on July 23, 2014, 12:52:49 pm
Bring on October.

Will Bay be able to challenge Nemo in a few years?
Not sure what Nemo has or what grade they are in.....let me give you Bays info and you tell me what you think.  Bay has a good group of now 8th graders that won their conference as 7th graders without two good 9th graders that played Sr high last year. All of those 8th graders played last week against sr high players in team camp and more than held their own.  They have two good players that are now 11th graders and two that are now tenth graders. They also have the new player that is now a 9th grader. If all those 8th graders move up next year as 9th graders to go with what players are coming back they could be a pretty good team with a lot coming back for the next three or four years.  Lots of if's but they could really be good in a year or two if all of them stay and keep working hard to get better. Coach Watson worked their tails off the last two weeks.

Hogfan167

Doesn't that make three original Trumann players on that jr girls team? Think I read on here somewhere that they got two a couple of years ago. I don't think these girls are moving in because of the strength of Bay's girls program. I don't think Bay will have to worry about challenging Nemo in the future. Good chance they will be 2A in two year.

Oldref

You are correct about kids coming to Bay from Trumann.......doesn't  have anything to do with sports in most cases. Schools are only about 6 miles apart across the county line from each other. Two of the girls on that team did come from Trumann back in grade school and I believe both of them have now moved into bay's district. Hard to say but it is possible Bay will be AA the next cycle........just depends on where the cutoff is and class size in 9-12. It will be interesting to see if the AAA adjust the cutoff because all the schools that are going away are in class A. That classification is shrinking in size every year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hogfan167 on July 23, 2014, 07:15:35 pm
Doesn't that make three original Trumann players on that jr girls team? Think I read on here somewhere that they got two a couple of years ago. I don't think these girls are moving in because of the strength of Bay's girls program. I don't think Bay will have to worry about challenging Nemo in the future. Good chance they will be 2A in two year.

Come again? Nemo's AAA enrollment shows that their average was 116...they're funding numbers shows 111 for last Year, so could infer that they are shrinking not growing....Unless you know something the state doesn't..

Quote from: Oldref on July 23, 2014, 07:35:04 pm
You are correct about kids coming to Bay from Trumann.......doesn't  have anything to do with sports in most cases. Schools are only about 6 miles apart across the county line from each other. Two of the girls on that team did come from Trumann back in grade school and I believe both of them have now moved into bay's district. Hard to say but it is possible Bay will be AA the next cycle........just depends on where the cutoff is and class size in 9-12. It will be interesting to see if the AAA adjust the cutoff because all the schools that are going away are in class A. That classification is shrinking in size every year.

Oldref...it's 9-11 :D....I'm curious to, could see them adding some of teh football schools back to 1A before to much longer as it seems they try to keep them balanced..

Oldref

Quote from: HF on July 23, 2014, 07:48:02 pm
Quote from: Hogfan167 on July 23, 2014, 07:15:35 pm

Come again? Nemo's AAA enrollment shows that their average was 116...they're funding numbers shows 111 for last Year, so could infer that they are shrinking not growing....Unless you know something the state doesn't..

Quote from: Oldref on July 23, 2014, 07:35:04 pm

Oldref...it's 9-11 :D....I'm curious to, could see them adding some of teh football schools back to 1A before to much longer as it seems they try to keep them balanced..
Thinks HF my bad about the classes used for the size ranking. I agree no telling how it may end up and there are several schools that would be in Class A if not for football requiring them to be in AA. I  have said for years there is very little difference in the top teams from A, AA & AAA in most years. Just my opinion:-)

HorseFeathers

Bringing the football schools back into 1A would add 19 schools...including the 2A runner up last year in Clarendon..

Basketballfan13

They will add the football schools back to 1A really soon, that will change a lot of things.

MomaLion

Quote from: HF on July 23, 2014, 08:13:41 pm
Bringing the football schools back into 1A would add 19 schools...including the 2A runner up last year in Clarendon..
Would we still be 1A even after merging with Holly Grove?

Hogfan167

Hey HF. I wasn't talking about Nemo. I was saying Bay might be 2A next cycle. Seems reasonable to me since they are the second largest 1A school this cycle. Maybe you know something about numbers I don't know.

BoxNOne

I count 56 teams in 1A and and 56 in 2A for the current cycle. The 56 in 1A included Black Rock, Stephens and the Arkansas School for the Blind so there is really only 53 left. I can remember not too long ago they had 64 each. These numbers will continue to drop each year (sadly IMO).

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BoxNOne on July 24, 2014, 08:17:45 am
I count 56 teams in 1A and and 56 in 2A for the current cycle. The 56 in 1A included Black Rock, Stephens and the Arkansas School for the Blind so there is really only 53 left. I can remember not too long ago they had 64 each. These numbers will continue to drop each year (sadly IMO).

I can remember 2A having 70 football schools....

HorseFeathers

Quote from: MomaLion on July 24, 2014, 02:18:25 am

Yes Ma'am...still one of the smallest football playing schools in 2A..

Quote from: Hogfan167 on July 24, 2014, 07:34:50 am
Hey HF. I wasn't talking about Nemo. I was saying Bay might be 2A next cycle. Seems reasonable to me since they are the second largest 1A school this cycle. Maybe you know something about numbers I don't know.

Wouldn't suprise me about Bay...they have a few classes coming through in the 50+ range. That's larger than Hector who is mid-pack 2A. But they do have a class of 37 in there to drag down the average a bit..

Bay's Enrollment

Oldref

Quote from: HF on July 24, 2014, 10:19:15 am
Quote from: MomaLion on July 24, 2014, 02:18:25 am

Yes Ma'am...still one of the smallest football playing schools in 2A..

Quote from: Hogfan167 on July 24, 2014, 07:34:50 am

Wouldn't suprise me about Bay...they have a few classes coming through in the 50+ range. That's larger than Hector who is mid-pack 2A. But they do have a class of 37 in there to drag down the average a bit..

Bay's Enrollment
Good info HF.......from what I saw on the numbers to be considered during the next cycle Bay will be in the 140 range give or take a few. Their biggest classes are in elementary right now so unless the AAA changes the criteria some way and eliminates some classifications Bay very possibly will be back in AA again next cycle. As Arkansas continues to lose schools it seems we have too many classifications.......Should find a way to go back to about 5 classifications and have each classification have a few more schools. I remember back when we had only 4 but I am old:-)

HorseFeathers

Here. An idea. . . . Leave football alone for classification. And combine 7a and 6a . . . Leave 5a combine 4a and 3a. . . And 1a and 2a for the other sports?

Oldref

Quote from: HF on July 24, 2014, 05:26:38 pm
Here. An idea. . . . Leave football alone for classification. And combine 7a and 6a . . . Leave 5a combine 4a and 3a. . . And 1a and 2a for the other sports?
pretty much what I had in mind also.........5A would have the smallest number of schools doing what you described so they might even adjust the cut off numbers to make each classification have close to the same number of schools. I agree let football have its own classification system separate from all other sports.

Hogfan167

These ideas make way too much sense to ever be considered IMO.

jacketman

At least all of you politicians are getting along!......lol. Now if you can balance the budget........lol!

Hogfan167

I believe if this new AAA proposal passes in a couple of weeks 1A-2A, 3A-4A and 5A-6A are gonna play each other anyway. The way I understand it they will play like a conference but it really isn't a conference. At the end 1A and 2A go back to district play in their own classification. I don't know if there will still be xonference champions or not. If AAA is gonna get this screwy, they just as well leave together for post season and cut the number of classification down at same time.

Shady

July 24, 2014, 09:32:33 pm #29 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:03:47 pm by Shady
Bay is going to thrash through the weak 1A competition.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Shady on July 24, 2014, 09:32:33 pm
Bay is going to thrash through the weak 1A competition.

WEll yeah...those of us that know have already accepted it as inevitable...

BigMan15

County line looks decent in camps but Scranton looks real good

BoxNOne

Oldref, did ICC girls play any at the Bay camp. I have heard they are loaded in both jr high and sr high.

Oldref

Quote from: BoxNOne on July 25, 2014, 07:28:43 pm
Oldref, did ICC girls play any at the Bay camp. I have heard they are loaded in both jr high and sr high.
Box & 1.......ICC girls didn't come either week to the Bay camp. I have heard the same thing about them being really good........had at least one good player come from Melbourne and their 9th grade is really good from what I have seen on this board. Seems like I may have read they had a good player come from Calico Rock also in Sr high.

Basketballfan13

I watched ICC play a couple of games at Harding team camp and they looked like they will compete in 1a really well. Pretty sure they went 12-0, one of those wins being against Paragould....Paragould is obviously not as good this year but still a solid 5a team. The 6' post move in from melourne to go with the one they already had plus pretty good play made them a tough match up for most

BoxNOne

Thanks for the information. Sounds like ICC could be a contender for a while in girls.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas