• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

11th Annual Xtra innings Summer Classic Rosters

Started by jewell, June 23, 2014, 12:33:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

July 11, 2014, 04:56:06 pm #50 Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:58:37 pm by ricepig
Quote from: Bulldog92 on July 11, 2014, 03:27:27 pm
It sounds like this issue needs to be taken somewhere else other than FF.  If some schools aren't getting kids on here because of room and they DESERVE to be on one then they might need to make this event a little larger.  If schools are getting shunned that have talented kids that DESERVE to be on a team then AAA needs to look into it.  If schools are perpously not putting kids up that DESERVE to be on one of these teams then AAA needs to check into it.    If those 9 kids from that one school are better than the best kid from another school then they need to be there and that one kid doesn't.  This is about showcasing the talent across the state not handing out participation trophies because someone is a good high school player that is what all-district and all-state is for.  This showcase is about College/Pro talent.

Who's the best is always subjective, I don't remember reading where anyone said anything different. The deal was the one's deciding who was the best. I know you have to even up teams with catchers, pitchers, and position players. I've attended this event almost every year, I've never seen 9 players from one team. Of course, having your high school coach pick you helps.

Bulldog92

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 04:56:06 pm
It sounds like this issue needs to be taken somewhere else other than FF.  If some schools aren't getting kids on here because of room and they DESERVE to be on one then they might need to make this event a little larger.  If schools are getting shunned that have talented kids that DESERVE to be on a team then AAA needs to look into it.  If schools are perpously not putting kids up that DESERVE to be on one of these teams then AAA needs to check into it.    If those 9 kids from that one school are better than the best kid from another school then they need to be there and that one kid doesn't.  This is about showcasing the talent across the state not handing out participation trophies because someone is a good high school player that is what all-district and all-state is for.  This showcase is about College/Pro talent.

Who's the best is always subjective, I don't remember reading where anyone said anything different. The deal was the one's deciding who was the best. I know you have to even up teams with catchers, pitchers, and position players. I've attended this event almost every year, I've never seen 9 players from one team. Of course, having your high school coach pick you helps.
Don't take this as sarcasm because this isn't how it is intended.  Since you have seen it every year, how many times have you sat there and asked yourself how this kid or that kid got picked for this event?  That in my mind would answer the questions about the coaches showing favortism.
And you are correct the BEST is always subjective.  These coaches know each other and they probably scratch each others back from time to time, and there are some that their opinions are more respected than others are.  So there won't be anything changed unless AAA puts a manditory number per conference, but then you get back to the participation award type issue instead of the best talent.

ricepig

Quote from: Bulldog92 on July 11, 2014, 05:35:39 pm
Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 04:56:06 pm

Don't take this as sarcasm because this isn't how it is intended.  Since you have seen it every year, how many times have you sat there and asked yourself how this kid or that kid got picked for this event?  That in my mind would answer the questions about the coaches showing favortism.
And you are correct the BEST is always subjective.  These coaches know each other and they probably scratch each others back from time to time, and there are some that their opinions are more respected than others are.  So there won't be anything changed unless AAA puts a manditory number per conference, but then you get back to the participation award type issue instead of the best talent.

Well, this deal was first started for high school SRs to be, they then added a few "top" Jrs. I don't know the number of kids that turned them down this year, I know of a few, but I bet there was still an adequate number without taking a whole team. And to be truthful, there is just about a team in college/Jr college for any high school Sr that is somewhat athletic enough to play. It may be D-II, NAIA, or JUCO, but our local paper is full of kids in NEA signing with someone, so don't make this out like it's some premier showcase.

As far as scratching each other's back, well, some may not get many scratches moving forward.

cuckoobird

WoodenBat

9 Kids from one school and their coach being on staff for this just doesn't look good. But Pete and the chastains do a great job every yr hands down the best showcase in ark.

Bulldog92

ricepig

Quote from: WoodenBat on July 11, 2014, 11:33:48 pm
9 Kids from one school and their coach being on staff for this just doesn't look good. But Pete and the chastains do a great job every yr hands down the best showcase in ark.

Is Pete even involved anymore? Anyway, it's a great opportunity for kids across the state to be seen by scouts, a needed opportunity for those who can't afford showcase, or choose not to do it.

Oldbadger

A hot day but some good baseball.  39 scouts including 1 from the Padre organization.  Looking forward to tomorrow.  Very nice event and helpful to those young men who are attending.  Hope it is cooler tomorrow.

WoodenBat

ricepig

Quote from: WoodenBat on July 13, 2014, 08:23:54 am
any standouts? highlights?

The Sun only talked about NEA kids in their article.

NEA Razorback olfan

Oldbadger

Quote from: WoodenBat on July 13, 2014, 08:23:54 am
any standouts? highlights?
A couple of short stops and a couple of pitchers.  Only one hitter.  No pitcher, that I saw threw 90, most were mid 80's to high 80's.  The two pitchers had great control and wicked sliders.  One a lefty and the other a righty.  The SS were next level quality.  I don't want to embarrass the kids in front of their team mates so won't mention names.  Any one who has an interest in my opinion can PM me.  Otherwise most of the kids there were good and were an asset to their team.  Other than being to hot, it was an enjoyable day.

WhosOnFirst

Next level shortstop had to be Genoa's SS. He was the best infielder I saw there.

Oldbadger

Quote from: WhosOnFirst on July 14, 2014, 04:45:13 pm
Next level shortstop had to be Genoa's SS. He was the best infielder I saw there.
He must have escaped my attention, which is easy to do.  If you weren't watching for a specific kid that could happen.  Arkadelphia's and Lincoln's were the one's I was talking about.  Both had great throwing speed across the diamond and were smooth in their fielding.  As I said there were many good athletes there but I missed a game or two so could have missed him. 

Pantherdaddy

Any results that can be posted from the Xi people?

Oldbadger

Pantherdaddy

Like top 60 times, pop times, pitchers velo, .. I guess measured stats. Thought they usually posted everyone's results.

Oldbadger

Quote from: Pantherdaddy on July 22, 2014, 04:39:52 pm
Like top 60 times, pop times, pitchers velo, .. I guess measured stats. Thought they usually posted everyone's results.
The only stats made available are:  60 yard dash, broad jump, and bat speed.  If you have a specific individual, I will give it to you.  There were 84 kids there.  The best 60 time was by Ben Madison with a time of 6.5 seconds.  The best broad jump was Ben Hampton with a jump of 10 ft 2".  The best bat speed was 92 by Jaylen Jackson, Ben Madison and Joshua Smeltzer.  They didn't list their schools so I don't know that.  I do know that Ben Madison threw 91 mph on Saturday.  They gave no others. I found that out from another poster.

blue4hire

Ben Madison is Bauxite. For the USSSA people, he was the stud for the CA Lions.

jazdill

Not surprised to hear that at all. The kid was always impressive to watch with the ca lions. Is he going to be a junior this coming season or is he a young senior?

rwh2295

Quote from: jazdill on July 23, 2014, 10:41:05 am
Not surprised to hear that at all. The kid was always impressive to watch with the ca lions. Is he going to be a junior this coming season or is he a young senior?
He is a young Senior...Interesting note on the CA Lions. The first player to sign with a D1 School off of that team was Heather Hill . She signed with Mississippi State to play softball a few weeks ago.  Congrats Heather.

blue4hire

Quote from: rwh2295 on July 23, 2014, 11:00:47 am
Quote from: jazdill on July 23, 2014, 10:41:05 am
He is a young Senior...Interesting note on the CA Lions. The first player to sign with a D1 School off of that team was Heather Hill . She signed with Mississippi State to play softball a few weeks ago.  Congrats Heather.
Congrats to her. I worked with her dad for a few years at Sylvan Hills. She was a heck of a baseball player.

jr17

Saw Ben play during the season. Has he always played SS? Is that his natural.position?

rwh2295

Quote from: jr17 on July 23, 2014, 04:47:26 pm
Saw Ben play during the season. Has he always played SS? Is that his natural.position?
With his Speed and arm He is a better Centerfielder. On a beter team that is where I would see him playing. He played there most of time when we played with him as a 13 & 14 year old. Of course that is when he wasn't pitching.

jr17

Diamonds Baseball Club

July 29, 2014, 09:20:14 am #76 Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:41:30 pm by Diamonds Baseball Club
I think that the Xtra Innings Classic does a fantastic job of getting a huge number of Arkansas' top prospects  in front of a large number of coaches.  Due to many factors there are certainly players that have conflicts, get overlooked, or are unable to participate in the XI event.  Please see the post below about an opportunity players in our state have this fall hosted by the Diamonds Baseball Club. 

The Diamonds Baseball Club is excited to announce the finalized date for this Fall's DBC Prospect Day.  This year the one day pro style workout will be held Sunday, September 14 at University of Arkansas-Little Rock beginning at 10:00 AM.  The cost for the workout will be $79 and include a numbered dry-fit t-shirt for all players in attendance.*Free to members of our DBC Fall Program* 

We are happy to accept any players that are members of the graduating classes of 2015-2017. 

This Prospect Day will also serve as a tryout for the DBC team that has been invited to participate in the Perfect Game WWBA Championship event to be held in Ft. Myers, Florida October 9-13.  (THE PG EVENT IS ONLY FOR 2016-2017 GRADS)

This event will be open to the first 100 players that sign up through our website at www.dbcprospects.com.  Please follow that link to find out much more about our program and to register for the Prospect Day/PG Tryout.

As of this July 29, the following schools have committed to attending the Prospect Day:

Arkansas State University Red Wolves (NCAA Division I)
Harding University Bisons (NCAA Division II)
Henderson State University Reddies (NCAA Division II)
Hendrix College (NCAA Division III)
Seminole State College Trjoans (NJCAA Division I, Oklahoma)
University of Arkansas Razorbacks (NCAA Division I)
University of Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans (NCAA Division I)

This list will continue to grow as we gather commitments. 

Please visit the website for information about the DBC's Fall Ball Program as well to find out how you can work on your game through our 6-7 week fall baseball program. 

Diamonds Baseball Club

Add another in state program to the list of coaches:

Arkansas State University (NCAA Div I)
Harding University (NCAA Div II)
Henderson State University (NCAA Div II)
Hendrix College (NCAA Div III)
Seminole State College (Okla, NJCAA Div I)
Southern Arkansas University (NCAA Div II)
University of Arkansas (NCAA Div I)
University of Arkansas-Little Rock (NCAA Div I)

Diamonds Baseball Club

August 01, 2014, 02:41:00 pm #78 Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:26:25 pm by Diamonds Baseball Club
Adding another program to the list of coaches, this puts us at 11 programs at the DBC Prospect Day.  More to come and the event is only $79 for a player to attend.  Please visits www.DBCProspects.com for more information and registration...

Prospect Day will be Sunday, September 14 at UALR's Gary Hogan Field.

Arkansas Baptist College (NJCAA Div I)
Arkansas State University (NCAA Div I)
Harding University (NCAA Div II)
Henderson State University (NCAA Div II)
Hendrix College (NCAA Div III)
Seminole State College (Okla, NJCAA Div I)
Southern Arkansas University (NCAA Div II)
University of Arkansas (NCAA Div I)
University of Arkansas-Little Rock (NCAA Div I)
University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff (NCAA Div I)
University of the Ozarks (NCAA Div III)

WhosOnFirst

Don't take this wrong way, but no cares about playing for the Diamonds or the showcase. Quit spamming the XI thread with this stuff, especially when you have your own thread, that has no comments by the way. Edit your original post and add the new schools if anything.

A lot of programs to play for better than the Diamonds and none of them blow up FF with all these post.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas