• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New structure for football classifications, 2016 cycle?

Started by ricepig, May 02, 2014, 07:30:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 29, 2014, 11:58:33 am
Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 08:13:13 am
Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 28, 2014, 07:43:44 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on July 28, 2014, 07:04:12 pm
This East-West split might work better:

WEST                                     EAST

Siloam Springs                         Marion
Russellville                              West Memphis
Mountain Home                        Jonesboro
Alma                                      Searcy
El Dorado                               Pine Bluff
Sheridan                                LR Parkview
Lake Hamilton                         LR Hall
Benton                                  Texarkana
Why not switch Texarkana and El Dorado?  Seems like it would make more sense for everybody, though its going to be ugly any way you slice it.

Because the Texarkana to Mountain Home bus ride would be ridiculous. It's 284 miles with half of it being Mountain roads making it more than a 5 hour drive.
Ok, switch AHS and MH.  Texarkana to Jonesboro or West Memphis is just as nonsensical.

This might be even better

WEST                                     EAST

Siloam Springs                         Marion
Russellville                              West Memphis
Mountain Home                        Jonesboro
Alma                                      El Dorado
Searcy                                  Pine Bluff
Sheridan                                LR Parkview
Lake Hamilton                         LR Hall
Benton                                  Texarkana

Texarkana to Jonesboro and to West Memphis are all expressway and both trips are a little over 4 hours each.

Using this scenerio no school will have more than a 4 1/2 hour drive.

wildcat_x-mgr

The bottom line is, you can't have the best of both worlds. Either you're going to have ridiculously long-distance away games, or you're going to be playing the giants next door. Which one is it going to be?

I always wondered why the 16-32-32-48-48 didn't even get looked at years ago, when it would have worked perfectly. I remember running the numbers, seeing what would go where, and it was beautiful. Still wouldn't be so bad, but oh well. Here's an idea, since a 16-team 6A looks so ugly, what if we did something like a 16-24-something? Everyone seems to like 24-team 7A, but what about a 24-team 6A? Anyone?

ricepig

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on July 29, 2014, 02:14:05 pm
The bottom line is, you can't have the best of both worlds. Either you're going to have ridiculously long-distance away games, or you're going to be playing the giants next door. Which one is it going to be?

I always wondered why the 16-32-32-48-48 didn't even get looked at years ago, when it would have worked perfectly. I remember running the numbers, seeing what would go where, and it was beautiful. Still wouldn't be so bad, but oh well. Here's an idea, since a 16-team 6A looks so ugly, what if we did something like a 16-24-something? Everyone seems to like 24-team 7A, but what about a 24-team 6A? Anyone?

The ones liking the 24 team 7A don't like the 24 team 6A because their team would be in it.

Lionheart88

If we did it that way, here's who'd be in it:

Russellville
Jonesboro
Benton
El Dorado
Lake Hamilton
Pine Bluff
LR Hall
Marion
Sheridan
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Searcy
Texarkana
LR Parkview
Alma
Greenwood
LR McClellan
Watson Chapel
Greene County Tech
J.A. Fair
Forrest City
Lakeside
White Hall
Beebe

Best guess at conferences:
SOUTH
Texarkana
Lakeside
Lake Hamilton
El Dorado
Sheridan
Pine Bluff
Watson Chapel
White Hall

EAST
Jonesboro
Marion
Searcy
Beebe
Forrest City
Greene County Tech
Mountain Home
LR Hall

WEST
Alma
Greenwood
Siloam Springs
Russellville
Benton
LR Parkview
JA Fair
LR McClellan

Assuming 8-team conferences, of course.  4 conferences of 6 would be better in a lot of ways, but I doubt the AAA would go for it.

Rulesman

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 02:08:53 pm

Texarkana to Jonesboro and to West Memphis are all expressway and both trips are a little over 4 hours each.

Obviously you haven't traveled I-40 between LR and West Memphis recently.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Rulesman on July 29, 2014, 10:04:55 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2014, 02:08:53 pm

Obviously you haven't traveled I-40 between LR and West Memphis recently.

Heck it takes me 15 minutes to get for exit 83 to exit 84 in russellville some mornings...and I bet the area around Brinkley(Ithink??) is still a major bummer..

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Lionheart88 on July 29, 2014, 04:24:42 pm
If we did it that way, here's who'd be in it:

Russellville
Jonesboro
Benton
El Dorado
Lake Hamilton
Pine Bluff
LR Hall
Marion
Sheridan
Mountain Home
Siloam Springs
Searcy
Texarkana
LR Parkview
Alma
Greenwood
LR McClellan
Watson Chapel
Greene County Tech
J.A. Fair
Forrest City
Lakeside
White Hall
Beebe

Best guess at conferences:
SOUTH
Texarkana
Lakeside
Lake Hamilton
El Dorado
Sheridan
Pine Bluff
Watson Chapel
White Hall

EAST
Jonesboro
Marion
Searcy
Beebe
Forrest City
Greene County Tech
Mountain Home
LR Hall

WEST
Alma
Greenwood
Siloam Springs
Russellville
Benton
LR Parkview
JA Fair
LR McClellan

Assuming 8-team conferences, of course.  4 conferences of 6 would be better in a lot of ways, but I doubt the AAA would go for it.

This wouldn't be so bad. All three of the "big" Jefferson Co. schools in one conference would be interesting, especially with Pine Bluff and White Hall finally getting a shot at each other. Anyone know if they've EVER even played each other?

Lionheart88

Not in football, AFAIK.  They play in baseball all the time, but that's about it.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hoghead on July 27, 2014, 12:15:49 pm
Okay, Youngsta 71701. Thats the point, its Friday Night. The average Joe worked Friday. Let's say he woke up at 6am and got off at 2pm. Then drives the 3 hours to Any place Arkansas. You get there at 5-5:30pm, Pregame meal, ball game, drive back 3 more hours after a loss. You're beat ! Arrive back safely and thank the AAA for that ride to Genoa Central from Drew Central  !

Point taken, I guess everybody can't leave work early on friday's huh...

Youngsta71701

August 01, 2014, 10:11:13 am #209 Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:09:49 am by Youngsta71701
No matter how they set it up it's going to be unfair to somebody and somebody's gonna have a complaint rather it's travel or enrollment. You can't make everybody happy. So they might as well keep it as simple as possible. Combine the 7A/6A and make it one 32 team classification, THE 6A! Like it used to be.

tmycjy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 01, 2014, 10:11:13 am
No matter how they set it up it's going to be unfair to somebody and somebodies gonna have a complaint rather it's travel or enrollment. You can't make everybody happy. So they might as well keep it as simple as possible. Combine the 7A/6A and make it one 32 team classification, THE 6A! Like it used to be.

NOW YOUR TALKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That the it should be

GuvHog

Quote from: tmycjy on August 01, 2014, 05:09:37 pm
No matter how they set it up it's going to be unfair to somebody and somebodies gonna have a complaint rather it's travel or enrollment. You can't make everybody happy. So they might as well keep it as simple as possible. Combine the 7A/6A and make it one 32 team classification, THE 6A! Like it used to be.

I agree but because of the size disparity between the #1 school and the #32 school, it will never happen.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on August 02, 2014, 08:32:20 am

I agree but because of the size disparity between the #1 school and the #32 school, it will never happen.

According to this Greenwood is the #32 school. They can play with anybody right?
http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/CLASSIFICATION_REPORT_14-16.pdf

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 02, 2014, 11:15:33 am

According to this Greenwood is the #32 school. They can play with anybody right?

No comment?

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 06, 2014, 11:07:22 am

No comment?

Makes me wonder... How would Greenwood feel about competing in the playoffs with the likes of Bentonville, Har-Ber, Conway, NLR, etc?

GuvHog

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on August 06, 2014, 08:20:25 pm

No comment?

Makes me wonder... How would Greenwood feel about competing in the playoffs with the likes of Bentonville, Har-Ber, Conway, NLR, etc?

Looks like it's gonna stay the same with the top 2 Classifications totally separated. Gonna make for some long drives during football season beginning in 2016.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2014, 08:30:57 pm

No comment?

Looks like it's gonna stay the same with the top 2 Classifications totally separated. Gonna make for some long drives during football season beginning in 2016.
It stays the same for football, but the other sports will change .

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2014, 08:30:57 pm

No comment?

For 6A, perhaps, but for 7A, not so much. Longest trip is from Van Buren/Fort Smith to Bryant. That's not too bad compared to other ones.

muleshoe_forever

I posted this in another thread but figured I would add to the discussion here since someone has already suggested the idea.  I like the 16-24-24-48-48-rest split also for a host of reasons if we could go to 6 team conferences in 6A and below.  The biggest reason are a decrease in travel for conference play and it gives 6A four stable conferences following traditional areas for conferences
  There will be some bickering by the smaller teams but the size disparity in 6A would be on par with that of 4A and 3A according to the latest numbers. The 6A and 5A could both have a 16 team state bracket and play their championships on the same weekend.  With most of the states population growth being in central, river valley, nwa, and the Jonesboro-Paragould areas, I see 7A remaining confined to the traditional central and west areas plus both 6A and 5A having teams evenly scattered across traditional conference areas for years to come.  7A teams like to fill their noncon schedules with out of state teams so I don't see a problem with them sticking to 3 noncon games. The other classes would have more chances to play out of division games which I think would strengthen sports in the state. Football schools would also have better chances at keeping old rivalries going when those teams move to a different classification after years or decades in the same class such as DeQueen, Fordyce, Forrest City, and others have done. It would also give teams (like Ozark and Dollarway) that get pushed out of their usual conference for one cycle the chance to essentially remain in their conference since they would have enough games to play against all teams in both conferences. I don't think

muleshoe_forever

I don't think the 6 team conferences would affect the other sports much other than giving 4A four regions.

GuvHog

August 15, 2014, 12:04:18 pm #220 Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:13:11 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: muleshoe_forever on August 14, 2014, 07:32:22 pm
I posted this in another thread but figured I would add to the discussion here since someone has already suggested the idea.  I like the 16-24-24-48-48-rest split also for a host of reasons if we could go to 6 team conferences in 6A and below.  The biggest reason are a decrease in travel for conference play and it gives 6A four stable conferences following traditional areas for conferences
  There will be some bickering by the smaller teams but the size disparity in 6A would be on par with that of 4A and 3A according to the latest numbers. The 6A and 5A could both have a 16 team state bracket and play their championships on the same weekend.  With most of the states population growth being in central, river valley, nwa, and the Jonesboro-Paragould areas, I see 7A remaining confined to the traditional central and west areas plus both 6A and 5A having teams evenly scattered across traditional conference areas for years to come.  7A teams like to fill their noncon schedules with out of state teams so I don't see a problem with them sticking to 3 noncon games. The other classes would have more chances to play out of division games which I think would strengthen sports in the state. Football schools would also have better chances at keeping old rivalries going when those teams move to a different classification after years or decades in the same class such as DeQueen, Fordyce, Forrest City, and others have done. It would also give teams (like Ozark and Dollarway) that get pushed out of their usual conference for one cycle the chance to essentially remain in their conference since they would have enough games to play against all teams in both conferences. I don't think

I still like 8 teams per conference better and using your 16-24-24-48-48 concept, the top 2 classes would look similar to this:

7A

NORTH                                  SOUTH
Bentonville                            Conway
Bentonville West                    North Little Rock
Springdale                            FS Southside
Fayetteville                          FS Northside
Har-Ber                                Bryant
Rogers                                 Cabot
Heritage                               LR Central
Van Buren                            LR Catholic

6A

SOUTH                                            WEST
Sheridan                                     Siloam Springs
Texarkana                                        Alma
Watson Chapel                              Greenwood
H.S. Lakeside                                 LR Parkview
White Hall                                      J.A. Fair
Benton                                     Mountain Home
Lake Hamilton                                Maumelle
El Dorado                                     Russellville

EAST                                           
Marion                                         
Jonesboro                                                   
Greene County Tech                         
Forrest City                                   
Searcy   
Pine Bluff
LR Hall 
West Memphis                             

ricepig

Guv, Catholic is going to be 7A and West Memphis 6A, why you continue the farce is mind boggling.

Lionheart88

Quote from: GuvHog on August 15, 2014, 12:04:18 pm
Quote from: muleshoe_forever on August 14, 2014, 07:32:22 pm

I still like 8 teams per conference better and using your 16-24-24-48-48 concept, the top 2 classes would look similar to this:

7A

NORTH                                  SOUTH
Bentonville                            Conway
Bentonville West                    North Little Rock
Springdale                            FS Southside
Fayetteville                          FS Northside
Har-Ber                                Bryant
Rogers                                 Cabot
Heritage                               LR Central
Van Buren                            West Memphis

6A

SOUTH                                            WEST
Sheridan                                     Siloam Springs
Texarkana                                        Alma
Watson Chapel                              Greenwood
H.S. Lakeside                                 LR Parkview
White Hall                                      J.A. Fair
Benton                                     Mountain Home
Lake Hamilton                                Maumelle
El Dorado                                     Russellville

EAST                                           
Marion                                         
Jonesboro                                                   
Greene County Tech                         
Forrest City                                   
Searcy   
Pine Bluff
LR Hall 
LR Catholic                             

I'd send Benton to the East, and PB to the South.  Makes more sense to me that way than for PB to be driving past the LR schools to get to their East opponents when they're less than 10 miles to get to two South schools, and Benton is 20 miles closer to Jonesboro, for example.  Should decrease travel all around.  Then again, I'd prefer 6-team conferences, drawn up like this:

South: Pine Bluff, White Hall, Watson Chapel, Sheridan, El Dorado, Texarkana
Central: Lake Hamilton, HS Lakeside, Benton, LR Fair, LR Parkview, LR Hall
Northwest: Siloam Springs, Alma, Greenwood, Mountain Home, Maumelle, Russellville
Northeast: Marion, Jonesboro, Greene County Tech, Forrest City, Searcy, West Memphis

GuvHog

August 15, 2014, 03:15:48 pm #223 Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:18:43 pm by GuvHog
I don't know where you got your info but according to Mapquest:

Benton to Jonesboro - 152.26

Pine Bluff to Jonesboro - 155.36 (79N to Stuttgart, 63N to Hazen, I-40E to Brinkley, 49N to Jonesboro)

About the same.

Benton to Marion - 148.74

Pine Bluff to Marion - 142.32

Pine Bluff is 6 miles closer to Marion than Benton is.

Try again.

ricepig

Jonesboro to PB, two lane, while Jonesboro to Benton is four lane.

Lionheart88

According to Google Maps:

Benton High to Jonesboro High-152 miles

PB High to Jonesboro High- 171 miles by the fastest route (which they assume and I was therefore looking at.  There is a shorter route, 155 miles, they have as an alternate because it takes longer and isn't over the same quality of roads)

I didn't really want to crunch the numbers for every single possibility, but now my curiosity's piqued.  Let's do this:

East:
Jonesboro: Benton 152/PB 155
Marion: Benton 153/PB 146
GCT: Benton 171/PB 169
Forrest City: Benton 114/PB 102
Searcy: Benton 75/PB 93
LR Hall: Benton 23/PB 48
West Memphis: Benton 151/PB 139
LR Catholic: Benton 23/PB 48

So that a total of 711 or 839 for Benton, depending on whether it's Catholic or WM rounding out the conference.
For PB the total is 761 or 852 depending on the same.  Less for Benton by 13-50 miles.

Now let's crunch the numbers for the South.
Sheridan: Benton 22/PB 26
Texarkana: Benton 119/153
Watson Chapel: Benton 47/PB 5
HS Lakeside: Benton 29/PB 66
White Hall: Benton 41/PB 9
Lake Hamilton: Benton 43/PB 80
El Dorado: Benton 111/PB 95

Totals: Benton 412/PB 434

Less for Benton by 22 miles, but both schools would obviously rather be in the South.

So, basically it depends on whether it's Catholic or WM in the East.  If it's Catholic, Benton drives less than PB would by 50 miles.  If it's WM, PB drives 13 fewer.

At any rate, I think that without a major difference in mileage you should try to keep groups of schools together.  I don't think the savings for PB (if it's WM) is worth breaking up the 3 Pine Bluff Area schools (as much as I as a White Hall fan wouldn't look forward to playing PB in most sports).  Is a savings of 13 miles overall worth taking trips of 5 and 9 miles away from PB?

Yes, I realize that argument sounds a little odd since Pulaski County schools always seem to end up getting sent multiple directions, but that's why I favor 6-team conferences.  With 8 team conferences you have to break up the central Arkansas schools 3 different ways, with 6-team conferences you can keep them (mostly) together.

GuvHog

Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 15, 2014, 03:58:26 pm

PB High to Jonesboro High- 171 miles by the fastest route (which they assume and I was therefore looking at.  There is a shorter route, 155 miles, they have as an alternate because it takes longer and isn't over the same quality of roads)

I didn't really want to crunch the numbers for every single possibility, but now my curiosity's piqued.  Let's do this:

East:
Jonesboro: Benton 152/PB 155
Marion: Benton 153/PB 146
GCT: Benton 171/PB 169
Forrest City: Benton 114/PB 102
Searcy: Benton 75/PB 93
LR Hall: Benton 23/PB 48
West Memphis: Benton 151/PB 139
LR Catholic: Benton 23/PB 48

So that a total of 711 or 839 for Benton, depending on whether it's Catholic or WM rounding out the conference.
For PB the total is 761 or 852 depending on the same.  Less for Benton by 13-50 miles.

Now let's crunch the numbers for the South.
Sheridan: Benton 22/PB 26
Texarkana: Benton 119/153
Watson Chapel: Benton 47/PB 5
HS Lakeside: Benton 29/PB 66
White Hall: Benton 41/PB 9
Lake Hamilton: Benton 43/PB 80
El Dorado: Benton 111/PB 95

Totals: Benton 412/PB 434

Less for Benton by 22 miles, but both schools would obviously rather be in the South.

So, basically it depends on whether it's Catholic or WM in the East.  If it's Catholic, Benton drives less than PB would by 50 miles.  If it's WM, PB drives 13 fewer.

At any rate, I think that without a major difference in mileage you should try to keep groups of schools together.  I don't think the savings for PB (if it's WM) is worth breaking up the 3 Pine Bluff Area schools (as much as I as a White Hall fan wouldn't look forward to playing PB in most sports).  Is a savings of 13 miles overall worth taking trips of 5 and 9 miles away from PB?

Yes, I realize that argument sounds a little odd since Pulaski County schools always seem to end up getting sent multiple directions, but that's why I favor 6-team conferences.  With 8 team conferences you have to break up the central Arkansas schools 3 different ways, with 6-team conferences you can keep them (mostly) together.

Going by the 2014-2016 numbers when Bentonville splits, West Memphis will be the #16 team in 7A unless their enrollment drops below Catholic's enrollment.

Lionheart88

But by rule, Catholic has to play up a level.  As they're the size of a 6A school, they have to play in 7A, don't they?  After all, without the private school modifier they're #24 and playing in 6A.

GuvHog

Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 15, 2014, 07:05:28 pm
But by rule, Catholic has to play up a level.  As they're the size of a 6A school, they have to play in 7A, don't they?  After all, without the private school modifier they're #24 and playing in 6A.

I had forgotten about the Private school qualifier. You are correct WM would be in the 6A and Catholic in 7A. I'll change my earlier post to reflect that.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 15, 2014, 12:22:43 pm
Guv, Catholic is going to be 7A and West Memphis 6A, why you continue the farce is mind boggling.

See reply #228 in this thread.

Big Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on August 15, 2014, 07:11:17 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 15, 2014, 07:05:28 pm

I had forgotten about the Private school qualifier. You are correct WM would be in the 6A and Catholic in 7A. I'll change my earlier post to reflect that.

Quote from: GuvHog on August 15, 2014, 07:14:47 pm
Quote from: ricepig on August 15, 2014, 12:22:43 pm

See reply #228 in this thread.
This is your brain on drugs.......

GuvHog

My wife and I are both originally from NEA so having driven it multiple times through the years, I can tell you from experience that it actually takes 3 hours by way of Brinkley. I have driven the expressway route from the on ramp at WC to the off ramp at Cash/Swifton in 2 hours flat doing 72 MPH (my preferred route these days).

phdefense

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2014, 10:24:07 am

My wife and I are both originally from NEA so having driven it multiple times through the years, I can tell you from experience that it actually takes 3 hours by way of Brinkley. I have driven the expressway route from the on ramp at WC to the off ramp at Cash/Swifton in 2 hours flat doing 72 MPH (my preferred route these days).
So you are not a law abiding citizen?

GuvHog

August 23, 2014, 09:45:33 am #233 Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:49:09 am by GuvHog
Quote from: phdefense on August 23, 2014, 08:59:57 am

My speedometer is wrong so when it's shows that I'm doing 72 MPH, I'm actually doing 70. As long as a driver is doing below 75, the troopers will very rarely bother with pulling him/her over.

phdefense

Quote from: GuvHog on August 23, 2014, 09:45:33 am
Quote from: phdefense on August 23, 2014, 08:59:57 am

My speedometer is wrong so when it's shows that I'm doing 72 MPH, I'm actually doing 70. As long as a driver is doing below 75, the troopers will very rarely bother with pulling him/her over.
Ah fudging the line. So you only respect things that are enforced then?

SouthpawSensation

Yeah, but was that done in a school bus full of football players, coaches and equipment?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas