• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wynne HC opening (filled - Van Paschal)

Started by Razorbacks48, January 09, 2017, 11:08:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Ok oldjacketman let's go real slow. You might want to get someone to read this to you, so it makes sense. Now I'll try and not use any big or confusing words, consider this the internet equivalent to using crayons and funny pictures. Ready ? you said "we all know no significant player missed that game". Let's lay out some proof in basic 3rd grade terms. What I'm going to prove today Yellowcake, PA Dad, ST Bruin, MDX or any other poster here could verify in 15 minutes, I'll give you 3 day's. First, go to YouTube and find the Batesville vs. Jonesboro game. It was the first game of the year. On Batesville's first defensive series you'll see 4 linebackers, #41, #23, #47 and #24. Also Google the Arkansas Democrat Gazette 2016 Football Preview issue. In that issue you'll find a nice story about Garrett Bernard, #41 a senior linebacker for the Batesville Pioneers. The article named him the pre-season defensive player of the year. A 3 year starter with many D1 scholarship offers. I would consider 'The Defensive player of the year" kinda significant. Now go to the Hootens article about the Top 50 recruits for 2017. You'll find Trey Ford, #23 linebacker Batesville Pioneers. He played 1/2 against Jonesboro then missed the entire year due to shoulder surgery. Yet he is still listed as a Top 50 recruit in the State this year, kinda significant. Number 47, Seth Salter was a Sophomore who finished in the Top 10 in the State 200 and 400 meter track finals, kinda significant. Number 24, Kyler Epperson, a 2 year starter and team co-captain, Kinda significant. You still following me ? now go to YouTube and pull up the Batesville vs. Wynne game. You'll see that number's 41, 23, 24 and 47 not only didn't play, they didn't suit up. You see oldjacketman, many people, who aren't you, people who can read and write would consider the defensive player of the year and a Top 50 recruit pretty significant.

Now I am not accusing you of lying. Birds of a feather tend to flock together. It's more then obvious you don't head up the Wynne chapter of MENSA. So when you say "everyone knows" I take that to mean everyone in your circle, again not exactly Harvard grads. To everyone else, people who can complete an arduous task, like walking and chewing gum, would say "Batesville was missing a lot of pretty significant players". At full strength, the Wynne game turns out like 7 of the last 10, Batesville wins. Against PA we were at 80 or 85%, at full strength we lose by a little less. Batesville was far inferior to the PA juggernaut, but so was Wynne.

Maybe tomorrow, after you've taken a few aspirin and recovered from getting PROVEN ignorant, I'll show you without question how Batesville was also missing their starting guard, tackle, tight end and number 2 receiver. Any questions Cleatus ?   

RZback

Quote from: JessieP on February 20, 2017, 06:10:50 pm
Ok oldjacketman let's go real slow. You might want to get someone to read this to you, so it makes sense. Now I'll try and not use any big or confusing words, consider this the internet equivalent to using crayons and funny pictures. Ready ? you said "we all know no significant player missed that game". Let's lay out some proof in basic 3rd grade terms. What I'm going to prove today Yellowcake, PA Dad, ST Bruin, MDX or any other poster here could verify in 15 minutes, I'll give you 3 day's. First, go to YouTube and find the Batesville vs. Jonesboro game. It was the first game of the year. On Batesville's first defensive series you'll see 4 linebackers, #41, #23, #47 and #24. Also Google the Arkansas Democrat Gazette 2016 Football Preview issue. In that issue you'll find a nice story about Garrett Bernard, #41 a senior linebacker for the Batesville Pioneers. The article named him the pre-season defensive player of the year. A 3 year starter with many D1 scholarship offers. I would consider 'The Defensive player of the year" kinda significant. Now go to the Hootens article about the Top 50 recruits for 2017. You'll find Trey Ford, #23 linebacker Batesville Pioneers. He played 1/2 against Jonesboro then missed the entire year due to shoulder surgery. Yet he is still listed as a Top 50 recruit in the State this year, kinda significant. Number 47, Seth Salter was a Sophomore who finished in the Top 10 in the State 200 and 400 meter track finals, kinda significant. Number 24, Kyler Epperson, a 2 year starter and team co-captain, Kinda significant. You still following me ? now go to YouTube and pull up the Batesville vs. Wynne game. You'll see that number's 41, 23, 24 and 47 not only didn't play, they didn't suit up. You see oldjacketman, many people, who aren't you, people who can read and write would consider the defensive player of the year and a Top 50 recruit pretty significant.

Now I am not accusing you of lying. Birds of a feather tend to flock together. It's more then obvious you don't head up the Wynne chapter of MENSA. So when you say "everyone knows" I take that to mean everyone in your circle, again not exactly Harvard grads. To everyone else, people who can complete an arduous task, like walking and chewing gum, would say "Batesville was missing a lot of pretty significant players". At full strength, the Wynne game turns out like 7 of the last 10, Batesville wins. Against PA we were at 80 or 85%, at full strength we lose by a little less. Batesville was far inferior to the PA juggernaut, but so was Wynne.

Maybe tomorrow, after you've taken a few aspirin and recovered from getting PROVEN ignorant, I'll show you without question how Batesville was also missing their starting guard, tackle, tight end and number 2 receiver. Any questions Cleatus ?

Just one thought.  According to your post you were missing 7 starters out of 22?  So roughly 30% of your starting lineup.  I would wonder what was happening or not happening that caused the loss of that many starting athletes.

Rulesman

A mod needs to put this thread out of it's misery. Talk about off topic...  ::)

JessieP

Did you see my post from yesterday ? I was curious about your views on Brett ? is it time to make a change or are the Hogs on the verge of being a playoff team ?

Your point is correct, when I said 70% I was referring to the strength of the missing players. They were without major playmakers. 30% is mathematically correct but it was 7 very important starters. The injuries were varied, Garrett, Trey and the O-line players were fluke broken bones, Shoulders and arms. The rest were the all too common acl/mcl's. Everyone gets them it's just this years team was cursed. Coach Kelly at PA told the Gazette he had never seen a rash like that in his life. It's easy to whine about it but in actuality it was just dumb luck. I have all the respect in the world for Wynne and the season they had, but for a pea brain fan to say "no one significant missed the game" is moronic, it's sub-moronic.

oldjacketman

February 20, 2017, 07:30:49 pm #304 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:46:31 pm by oldjacketman
EXCUSE ALERT! EXCUSE ALERT! At full strength batesville still loses by 50. Go back into your hole, son!!! You're just a little whipping boy like your Pioneers. You talk history, you were nothing until recently. I guess the butt-kicking we gave you jh was because of injuries also. And next year, when we come into your yard and beat your brakes off again you'll have another excuse. It was 42-0 with 11:00 left in the HALF and you say an injury or two cost you the game. Silly boy. Wynne was without it's entire starting 22 for the 2nd quarter the entire second half and still won that half as well, Peewee.

JessieP

A fluke win. Still standing by your "no significant players" statement trailer park ? run along little boy. Tell us again about the top coaches in the state clamoring for the Wynne job ? and why don't you go into detail about the 800lb elephant in the room over there ? we all know about it, come on, bring it up. How long do you think the new coach can keep his fingers in that darn ? do you honestly think that no one outside Wynne doesn't know what really going on there ? hey, enough of this nonsense. PA needs their equipment room swept out, get on it low rent.

oldjacketman

February 20, 2017, 09:17:08 pm #306 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:29:01 pm by oldjacketman
Despite all your injuries, you were/are still the 2nd best team in......................Batesville. And I do not know any of your larger relatives that live in Wynne.

JessieP

I'm betting your one of those 'fans' that won't pay the whopping $6 entry fee to watch the games. The Wynne alley drinkers as the rest of the east refers to them. Standing on the street behind the visitors bleachers drinking from a brown paper sack. Accosting opposing fans trying to get to their cars, that's where you'll find oldjacketman for sure. Enough of this, you're beneath me. I got to go to my 'teams that have actually beat PA' meeting. It's a very small group granted, but it sure is nice. Know this, Wynne will never ever join. But keep sprouting your tall tales about paid players, we enjoy the laughs.

oldjacketman

JessieP

Calm down oldjacketman, February is a short month. Your Government check will be there in only 8 day's, your Obama phone will reload and you can load up on the Sam's Choice beer. Just hang in there.

FD4

OJM comes up with straight right, JP deflects it, OOOHHhhh, what a combination out of JP, there's a triple left jab, MAN what a right, OJM is hurt, OJM is hurt, he's in the corner and in trouble. HOLY COW what an upper cut JP is now staggered!  Both men just hanging on to what ever they can grab. The ref steps in and separates the two, and now their back center ring.  JP is back on his bike again, OJM just waived him in ala Ali, there they go again, it's like Ray Leonard vs Ray Leonard! No way could you count the punches in that flurry.  Straight right from OJM found the mark followed by a vicious left hook from JP, Both men are down, both men are down. Unbelievable, the ref has stopped the fight, both men are declared knocked out!  I never heard of such..........

JessieP

FD4, hysterical. Good job, it's so rare that someone is actually clever on here. If I may appeal to you (the de facto ref), I'd like a ruling please.

Here's my case, I have never disparaged the season Wynne had, they were incredible right up to the point PA sissy slapped them all over War Memorial. I also never disputed that they clobbered Batesville, a hard fact to dispute. I have only said that Batesville was decimated by injuries for the Wynne game. 8 of the 22 starters including the 4 starting linebackers, one of which was the Democrat Gazette Defensive player of the year another was All-State as a sophomore and a Hootens Top 50 recruit. Against an offense like the one Wynne runs linebacker play is the single biggest factor in stopping them. What the root of the dispute was is that OJM said "everyone knows no significant players missed the game". Here's my question to you, a 3rd party observer. Would you consider 4 starting linebackers, 2 of which were all-state, not playing, significant ? I'm saying not only did many significant players miss that game an argument could be made that Batesville was severely short handed, almost crippled.

Oh wise FD4, what say you ?   

FD4

The FD Clears his throat, gets another good dip of skoal, now, here is my ruling.  We is what we is...........

JessieP

Lol, and I do realize that by arguing with oldjacketman I am kicking a puppy. I mean the man follows Jr. High football, quite a life you've carved out for yourself OJM. I'm guessing he passed the GED on his 4th or 5th try.

lizard1989

Just want to clarify that last statement. If you follow Jr. High football, the inference is that you are not very smart? Being a college graduate, and a fan of all levels of football, to include Jr. high, it makes it difficult to understand the reference that you made to someone needing 4 or 5 tries to pass the GED.  Are you saying that fans of Jr. high football are dumb?

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: lizard1989 on February 21, 2017, 03:46:35 pm
Just want to clarify that last statement. If you follow Jr. High football, the inference is that you are not very smart? Being a college graduate, and a fan of all levels of football, to include Jr. high, it makes it difficult to understand the reference that you made to someone needing 4 or 5 tries to pass the GED.  Are you saying that fans of Jr. high football are dumb?

In a related note, I question anyone's intelligence who follows the WNBA, but that's just me.

JessieP

Lizard, not at all. I was referring to one particular person, not fans as a whole. This person insults, trolls and taunts anyone who is not on board with the 'Wynne is the greatest program in the history of football' mindset. Now anyone who spends that much time on a message board and is that versed in Jr. High football I would say has some priorities out of whack. I also was not insinuating that all Wynne fans are like the "Wynne alley drinkers". That is just a few, 6 or 7 tops, that stand on the street drinking and watching the games through the fence. The vast majority of Wynne fans are just good decent people rooting for their team. I do wonder why the local police or campus resource officers allow it to happen. When you leave a game at Batesville, PA, Greenwood, LRCA, Valley View or about 90% of Arkansas high schools you don't have to walk back to your car through an inebriated gauntlet of vocal die hard fans. I was wondering if OJM was one of those WAD, his mannerisms online match the profile.

JessieP

oldjacketman

February 21, 2017, 10:18:05 pm #318 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:37:58 am by oldjacketman
JessicaP, you little wannabe football "purist", are you aware of how incredibly stupid you actually are? First, I have 74 posts total. You have 71. Yet you claim I'm on this message board all the time. Second, you claim I troll fans of other schools. Find me one posts of any other school I've posted on. You can't. You wandered your Pioneer loving self to a Wynne posts and started talking trash. I do realize that it bothers you to the core to realize that Batesville football will for here on out be wynne's whipping boy. I get it. If I were you I'd be upset too. Third, as a "purist" you claim that following JH football is somehow beneath you. Why? Does your PO not allow you off your block on week nights? Those kids deserve fans to support them as well. Of course, now that we know you don't follow JH we know you aren't a fan. You're a troll. Nothing more.

63-21

JessieP

Oldjackassman, proof that the trailer park residents get angry the last 10 day's of the month. Poor old cranky Hillbilly. I guess he never got over Saban not taking the Wynne job. Hang in there buddy, the check will be there in 7 day's, you can pay the late fee's at the library and check out some more Hee Haw video's. Try and keep busy until then, maybe you can write some relatives in the pen ? just run by the bank and steal some pens.

stinger1

Quote from: JessieP on February 20, 2017, 09:03:29 pm
A fluke win. Still standing by your "no significant players" statement trailer park ? run along little boy. Tell us again about the top coaches in the state clamoring for the Wynne job ? and why don't you go into detail about the 800lb elephant in the room over there ? we all know about it, come on, bring it up. How long do you think the new coach can keep his fingers in that darn ? do you honestly think that no one outside Wynne doesn't know what really going on there ? hey, enough of this nonsense. PA needs their equipment room swept out, get on it low rent.
I would like to know more about this 800lb elephant you think you know so much about. Not to be a fan of Wynne it sure seems like you know a lot about what Wynne is doing. As far as the alley drinkers as you call them you should not judge us all by a few. What if we judged all of your fans by your actions.

Sporty

JessieP

Stinger, I specified that the Alley drinkers were a VERY FEW and in no way indicative of the vast majority of Wynne fans. I did say that in my post. The fans that fill the stands are enthusiastic respectful supportive fans. In fact the majority of Wynne fans on this message board are the same, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I was saying that if you look at Oldjackass's post's (insulting, name calling and generally low brow) it puts you in the mind of the small minority of "Alley drinkers" that give the stand up fans a bad name. Yes, every school has them. 

As far as the '800lb elephant' comment. I am only reacting to the rumors that have dogged the program for a few years now. I do not know, maybe it's all BS. Me bringing it up was simply OJM dragging me down to his level, he won. I will say this, even a few Wynne fans have eluded to it. There have been cryptic comments about 'only 50 players' and other such back handed comments. Some have speculated that a Coach leaving a very successful program for an obscure college to take a demotion (Asst. Coach) and for much less money, was not a career advancement move, it may have been leaving a bad situation. But until someone with actual first hand knowledge produces actual facts, it's all just message board rumor.

Rick Swines

Jessie P do you have a breakdown for Batesville this upcoming year?  How many players are returning and will the win the East?  Thanks

stinger1

I will kill the rumors of why he left. He left for about the same salary but what is not included is he will have two children attending Harding that will get huge tuition breaks along with him always wanting to coach at his former team where he played at along with also being closer to his parents who are not getting younger. Yes he had some conflicts with a few but what head coach doesn't. Even Campbell did not make everybody happy all the time. As far as numbers being down there boys are outnumbered by girls in this junior and sophomore class along with a lower attendance record through the whole system due to lack of economic growth in the area and now there are more programs to divide the kids more. Plus just a overall lazier generation and if you were lazy you did not want to be in hills system or you were one of those kids who always wanted someone to tell you how great you are you did not want to play for hill. So he kept the ones were wanted to work their tails off and were satisfied with a win on Friday nights being enough of a reward.

oldjacketman

"Now that the dust has settled, let us recap. As soon as it was announced that Wynne's head coach was leaving the most entertaining thread, on possibly the entire internet, was born. It started with stories from people "in the know" stating the top coaches in the state were interested. They were flying the Lear Jets into Wynne for a chance to take the controls. The names thrown around were laughable to anyone who wasn't one of the 5 or 6 die hard's that were posting. I mean, who wouldn't want to leave a 7A position in a larger city to come to Wynne ? the fan base and talent pool was the best ever, St. Johns Bosco, Mater Dei, Bishop Gorman, Long Beach Poly and other National Powerhouses were small time compared to the earth moving juggernaut that is Wynne football. It's funny, when a coach was named it wasn't any of the big time names being thrown around early on by those "in the know". Someone actually posted that the new coaches resume included Monticello, which in 2009 was widely considered the best team in the state. By who ? the Monticello PTA ? and to top it off we learned that the previous Wynne coach, who walked on water in November, was physically abusing the players. A claim that NO ONE believed.

Do you see how unrealistic this thread became ? some posters have taken what is basically an open teaching position and turned it into the greatest job in football. Is Wynne talented ? without question. Were they an unstoppable force last year ? ask PA. Over the past 10 years have they been a unstoppable force in the East ? ask Batesville. The fact of the matter is that Wynne did get a very good coach, they should do very well. Trust me on this, no successful coach from an existing state powerhouse program applied for the job. Will Wynne be in the chase for a title next year ? yes. Are they as a team and as an overall program as good as their fans think ? no. No one on any level is as good as Wynne thinks they are. So the next time people start listing the New England Patriots, Clemson Tigers and other Champions don't throw Wynne on that list. They, like most other Arkansas schools are still way behind PA."

This was the first post by JessieP on this thread. This is the post that I responded to, but I'm the one causing him to stoop to a level. This guy hates Wynne. He hates us more now that we curb stomped them and refuse to buy into the injury excuse. I didn't wander over to a Batesville post and talk trash, nor will I. Poking the troll is fun, I'll have to admit. But don't be fooled, his agenda is to smear all things Wynne. He hates us. Jealousy is powerful. 63-21.

JessieP

Oldjackassman, you really need to lay off the glue. It's long term damage done to the brain is well documented. Let's look at some facts, you know those pesky little annoyances that upset you so. A fact is something that is easily proven and not subject to debate. For instance the restraining order you live under is a fact, you are prohibited from contacting Richard Simmons and must cease and desist claiming you have a relationship with him. Here's some more facts, I have never disparaged Wynne's football team. I have always said they had an exceptional season and are a legitimate number 2 in the 5A. I have only had issue some Wynne fans, you don't see PA or Batesville fans making such bombastic claims or posting inflated stat's. I posted on this thread to point out how unrealistic the claims were regarding the interest in the Wynne opening. Like I said, the eventual hire was never a name mentioned early on by those "In the know". Finally, jealous ? are you kidding ? jealous ?  last years one sided victory was an injury aided aberration. A fluke, what am I basing that on ? a 15 year average in the games, Batesville holds a very clear advantage. Jealous ? Batesville spends more on it's athletic program then even PA, the town support is second to none. Every Razorback head football Coach comes to Batesville to speak every year. The Batesville school district is the top ranked public district among schools in it's size range (5A). In 2016 US News and World report listed Batesville Arkansas in it's list of Top 20 small towns in America for quality of life. Finally, the mutual respect between Batesville and PA is one we are most proud of. PA is without question the Gold Standard when it comes to High School Football in the State. The coaches, fans and players have a mutual respect for each other. Maybe because both sides have won the game, you should try it. I have all the respect in the world for the Wynne Football program and 90% of their fans. It's the uneducated blow holes like yourself that I take issue with.

oldjacketman

State championships:
4 to 1
Conference championships:
23 to 17
Playoff appearances:
33 to 22
Higher paid staff
63-21

JessieP

Are you 115 ? why don't you re-post those stats since King took over. Go back to 2000. No argument, if you go back to the 40's and 50's Wynne has a huge advantage. Let's try and keep the discussion to apply to when football players wore helmits, ok. And the higher paid staff, nice try. A little early in the day to start drinking isn't it very very oldjackassman.

Wonderdog

Quote from: JessieP on February 22, 2017, 01:06:07 pm
Are you 115 ? why don't you re-post those stats since King took over. Go back to 2000. No argument, if you go back to the 40's and 50's Wynne has a huge advantage. Let's try and keep the discussion to apply to when football players wore helmits, ok. And the higher paid staff, nice try. A little early in the day to start drinking isn't it very very oldjackassman.
Wynne certainly pays better. No question there. Check the salary schedules on each of the school websites.

JessieP

That may be true Wonderdog. But you also need to look at other factors. Schools like Batesville, LRCA, Greenwood and PA have quite generous checkbooks. Someone posted recently that Batesville's athletic budget is more then even PA. Batesville is building an indoor practice facility that is pretty state of the art for a high school, granted it's not a full 100 yards but it has a football field that is regulation width and is 80 yards long. It will feature the new weight room and training facilities. It is almost done and will be operational by spring practice. It will be used all by students and will tie in nicely with the new 25 million dollar Rec. Center about 1/2 mile from the high school. You can see pictures of the new Rec. Center at Batesville Daily Guard online. It is massive, Indoor/outdoor Olympic size pool's, water park, 10 Basketball courts, racquetball courts, meeting rooms and fully stocked modern weight room. What does all this have to do with anything ? Batesville is a sports crazed City, the town's support and willingness to spend money is unmatched. Maybe I over react but it gets tiring always hearing and reading crap like "Batesville pays refs" or "Rich White Boy school", "Batesville is soft", "Spoiled Cheaters". Maybe that is why myself and so many other people feel a competitive kinship with PA. We haven't had nearly the success but we can match them tit for tat when it comes to the way we are perceived. Believe it or not I have all the respect in the world for Wynne's football program, I do not think a few morons are indicative of the general fan base. Wynne is a hard nosed school that works hard. The City itself loses about 2.9% of it population every census period (5 years).  Batesville's population is up 4.1% in 2010 and 4.9% in 2015. Wynne's school enrollment is down and participation in sports is down. A lot of other Schools/Cities would fold. Wynne reloads and gets after it, they keep coming at you. Newport is very similar to Wynne as far as population/demographics. They keep dropping in classification and a once powerful program is now mediocre. After over 100 years Newport dropped out of the White River Rivalry (Batesville/Newport) because over the past 20 years the games became so one sided. Wynne has had zero drop-off in talent or results. Even more impressive about what Wynne has accomplished is when you look at one of their biggest rivals, Batesville. Last year Batesville suited up 85 players on the Varsity. 90 on the Jr. Pioneers and 79 on the 7th grade team. Go to the local Wal-Mart, you'll see 5x's more Orange and Black attire then Razorback Red. Being an athletic Coach in Batesville is almost celebrity status.

Wonderdog

Glad to hear the community is highly supportive. It does not surprise me to be honest. I ended my high school football career in Batesville. The community has a lot to be proud of in the football program. I also will add that I was in attendance for all 3 of Batesville's consecutive title game losses. Maybe I am yall's bad luck charm. I thought your kicker was going to send it to overtime vs Morrilton in 2013. Camden Fairview played lights out in the 2nd half of 2012. Greenwood was simply head and shoulders better in 2011.

HowBoutThemJackets

Quote from: JessieP on February 22, 2017, 10:05:56 pm
That may be true Wonderdog. But you also need to look at other factors. Schools like Batesville, LRCA, Greenwood and PA have quite generous checkbooks. Someone posted recently that Batesville's athletic budget is more then even PA. Batesville is building an indoor practice facility that is pretty state of the art for a high school, granted it's not a full 100 yards but it has a football field that is regulation width and is 80 yards long. It will feature the new weight room and training facilities. It is almost done and will be operational by spring practice. It will be used all by students and will tie in nicely with the new 25 million dollar Rec. Center about 1/2 mile from the high school. You can see pictures of the new Rec. Center at Batesville Daily Guard online. It is massive, Indoor/outdoor Olympic size pool's, water park, 10 Basketball courts, racquetball courts, meeting rooms and fully stocked modern weight room. What does all this have to do with anything ? Batesville is a sports crazed City, the town's support and willingness to spend money is unmatched. Maybe I over react but it gets tiring always hearing and reading crap like "Batesville pays refs" or "Rich White Boy school", "Batesville is soft", "Spoiled Cheaters". Maybe that is why myself and so many other people feel a competitive kinship with PA. We haven't had nearly the success but we can match them tit for tat when it comes to the way we are perceived. Believe it or not I have all the respect in the world for Wynne's football program, I do not think a few morons are indicative of the general fan base. Wynne is a hard nosed school that works hard. The City itself loses about 2.9% of it population every census period (5 years).  Batesville's population is up 4.1% in 2010 and 4.9% in 2015. Wynne's school enrollment is down and participation in sports is down. A lot of other Schools/Cities would fold. Wynne reloads and gets after it, they keep coming at you. Newport is very similar to Wynne as far as population/demographics. They keep dropping in classification and a once powerful program is now mediocre. After over 100 years Newport dropped out of the White River Rivalry (Batesville/Newport) because over the past 20 years the games became so one sided. Wynne has had zero drop-off in talent or results. Even more impressive about what Wynne has accomplished is when you look at one of their biggest rivals, Batesville. Last year Batesville suited up 85 players on the Varsity. 90 on the Jr. Pioneers and 79 on the 7th grade team. Go to the local Wal-Mart, you'll see 5x's more Orange and Black attire then Razorback Red. Being an athletic Coach in Batesville is almost celebrity status.
Wynne is the exact same but I'm going to that the fan support is a lot more than Batesville(I say that because I played for Wynne and know what its like to be in the spotlight of Wynne Football).  Football is the cities safe haven the town really dosen't haven't much going for itself besides Friday nights at YellowJacket Stadium, and the players know that they are the glue that holds the town together.  You look at those 4 or 5 years between Coach Campbell and Coach Hill the community started to have problems with all sorts of stuff. But then we started winning again when Coach Hill got here and the town started to get its act together.  And we can be real proud of our guys after a big win sometimes maybe a little to proud but we can't help it because if Wynne didn't have football it wouldn't be much of city with a smile.   

JessieP

HowBoutThemJackets, I agree. I may be partial to Batesville's fans though. Wynne is going through some tough times and I think it's great the way the town rallies behind them. That is why I drew the comparison to Newport, similar circumstances, lost jobs, bad economy, dwindling population, dwindling enrollment and not much upbeat going on. Newport shrunk in the face of adversity and the team followed the City. Wynne seems to fight through it and rally around the team. Now I may get some flak for this but I feel the 5A East is by far the toughest conference in the entire State. You look at Wynne's sidelines and see maybe 60 players, usually that signals a patsy team. With Wynne your in for the fight of your life. I may get into it with a couple moron fans here but there is no denying Wynne fights through adversity, they do not buckle under it. You look at schools like PA, Greenwood, LRCA and Batesville who have blank checks behind their program, Wynne proves that you don't need money to dominate. I have much respect for Wynne.

Intelligentsia

I don't know about the East being the best, but it certainly has a few schools where students face hardship not imagined in the vast majority of other 5-A schools.  The poverty, dysfunction, and risks faced by so many in places like Forrest City, Blytheville, and to a slightly lesser degree, Wynne, make their success so much greater than that realized by P.A., and greater to a somewhat lesser degree by most other 5-A schools.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on February 23, 2017, 09:32:41 pm
I don't know about the East being the best, but it certainly has a few schools where students face hardship not imagined in the vast majority of other 5-A schools.  The poverty, dysfunction, and risks faced by so many in places like Forrest City, Blytheville, and to a slightly lesser degree, Wynne, make their success so much greater than that realized by P.A., and greater to a somewhat lesser degree by most other 5-A schools.

I agree with you regarding PA.  It is a school of privileged kids for the most part.  But, you ignore schools like Fair and Mills in the central conference.  The kids in those schools are, in general
, as underprivileged as schools in the East.

JessieP

I don't feel that economic standing enhances or belittles any success on the field. Traditionally inner city schools produce more athletic teams. I myself think that because PA is a school of generally privileged kids it makes their success more impressive. The kids at PA may not be as athletic or as 'hard nosed' as kids at tougher schools. That means they need to work a little harder. Again, why are we here at a point where people are trying to diminish what PA has accomplished. Why is it so hard for people to just say "Their good, they work hard and they win". I can tell you from personal experience that when I played High School Football growing up in Texas, when you had a wealthy school on the schedule you knew it would be an easy night. The poorer inner city schools were dogfights. PA has prospered in spite of it's wealth.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on February 23, 2017, 10:23:51 pm
I don't feel that economic standing enhances or belittles any success on the field. Traditionally inner city schools produce more athletic teams. I myself think that because PA is a school of generally privileged kids it makes their success more impressive. The kids at PA may not be as athletic or as 'hard nosed' as kids at tougher schools. That means they need to work a little harder. Again, why are we here at a point where people are trying to diminish what PA has accomplished. Why is it so hard for people to just say "Their good, they work hard and they win". I can tell you from personal experience that when I played High School Football growing up in Texas, when you had a wealthy school on the schedule you knew it would be an easy night. The poorer inner city schools were dogfights. PA has prospered in spite of it's wealth.

Hahahahahaha. Jessie, thanks for the laugh man. May not be as athletic. I mean, they've only produced 30+ D-1 football players the last 13 years.

CoachTaylorPA

February 23, 2017, 11:09:16 pm #338 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:11:45 pm by CoachTaylorPA
Jessie P, I think saying we have an open check book behind our program is an overstatement.  Several schools have far nicer facilities than we do.  Also i think facilities are overrated.  As coaches at PA we are glad we don't have an indoor.  My opinion is you need to practice in the rain if your going to play in the rain.  We workout from 1:30 -3:30 in the summer.  Coach Kelley wants our kids out at the hottest time of the day getting acclimated to the heat.  When August rolls around we are ready.   The end of the playoffs are going to be cold so teams need to prepare in the cold.. I believe turf is vital for obvious reasons.  A lot of schools have first rate facilities but don't get desired results on the field. Also I think PA , Batesville, Wynne, Morrilton and Greenwood train their players very similar which is why they are very good.  I have friends who coach on those teams and know their philosophy. Whatever program your examining many of the same philosophies will manifest themselves in different ways.  No magic bullet exists.

Quote from: JessieP on February 23, 2017, 08:30:21 pm
HowBoutThemJackets, I agree. I may be partial to Batesville's fans though. Wynne is going through some tough times and I think it's great the way the town rallies behind them. That is why I drew the comparison to Newport, similar circumstances, lost jobs, bad economy, dwindling population, dwindling enrollment and not much upbeat going on. Newport shrunk in the face of adversity and the team followed the City. Wynne seems to fight through it and rally around the team. Now I may get some flak for this but I feel the 5A East is by far the toughest conference in the entire State. You look at Wynne's sidelines and see maybe 60 players, usually that signals a patsy team. With Wynne your in for the fight of your life. I may get into it with a couple moron fans here but there is no denying Wynne fights through adversity, they do not buckle under it. You look at schools like PA, Greenwood, LRCA and Batesville who have blank checks behind their program, Wynne proves that you don't need money to dominate. I have much respect for Wynne.

CoachTaylorPA

MDXPHD, this is completely false. We've had some very good players move onto college.  The official total is 20 players have signed D-1 in 20 years in football.

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 23, 2017, 11:04:44 pm
Hahahahahaha. Jessie, thanks for the laugh man. May not be as athletic. I mean, they've only produced 30+ D-1 football players the last 13 years.

MDXPHD

Quote from: CoachTaylorPA on February 23, 2017, 11:16:23 pm
MDXPHD, this is completely false. We've had some very good players move onto college.  The official total is 20 players have signed D-1 in 20 years in football.

I didn't say they all signed. I don't know how many have signed. But 30+ have been offered since 2002 or so.

Next you're going to tell me that PA didn't award 148k In financial aid to football players alone In grades 10-12 this year. And that there wasn't  a huge difference in the percentage of financial aid offered to football players compared to other fall sports this season.  ::)

MDXPHD

No need to discuss this in this thread. Go read through the 17 page private vs public. Lots of good stuff on there, including a list of the players. Some numbers from CAC compared to PA and also PA football compared to other PA Fall sports. It should entertain you.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: JessieP on February 23, 2017, 10:23:51 pm
While I respect your opinion, I heartily disagree.  How many of the kids from average to "privileged" schools have to worry about where their next meal is coming from, wonder all day if their mother survived the savage beating given by her most recent live in, or live in fear that they will be separated from a younger sibling if police raid the meth lab set up in their garage.  How many have to miss practice consistently because they have to work, miss a practice or a game because their trying to get a parent or sibling bailed out of jail, or simply live miles away with no ride to get to school for summer practices.  These are but a FEW issues with which these children contend.  Hard nose?  You obviously have not dealt with or witnessed the situations I've seen throughout a long career in education.  Wow, I could write a book.  Tougher for those of privilege?  While I don't mean to sound condecensing, I'm afraid you haven't a clue, Jessie.

MDXPHD

February 24, 2017, 08:34:12 am #343 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:35:44 am by MDXPHD
I'm also confused Jessie. You said that PA's success is more impressive because they are privileged. You're essentially saying that when a school is surrounded by poverty and has success, it's not as impressive as PA?

I also noticed that somebody mentioned how PA practices in the middle of the day during the summers. While that's a great strategy, most of the kids from other towns who struggle financially must work during these hours in the summer to help feed their families. So it doesn't work everywhere. Or these kids can't get a ride in the middle of the day because their one family car is being used by their mother at work. Or they have to babysit. Or they don't have a car and a bus is their only chance to get to football practice.

You see, PA doesn't face these challenges. CAC doesn't face them. LRCA doesn't face them. You see where I'm going with this. What about kids having the money to pay for extra training? What about having the money to get the proper nutrition to enhance your body? What about coaches not having to explain plays over and over again because their are 0 (absolute fact, not an exaggeration) kids in special education classes?

So please, don't say PA's success is that much more impressive.

JessieP

I've always been somewhat of a defender of PA but CoachTaylor's post blew a lot of my defense out of the water. Against indoor practice facility ? Kelly wants them to handle the elements ? OK Coach, why did you change uniforms at halftime in the rain ?

JessieP

MDX, by all means keep bashing PA, it seems to be the thrust of the majority of your post. Try to understand this, your never ending onslaught doesn't belittle or cheapen their accomplishments, not one bit. All is does is puff up PA's chest a little. By constantly trying to explain away what they have won does nothing but feed their ego. As an admitted Pioneer fan I chose to take the stance "we beat their rear before, we'll beat it again". As a Pioneer we are not worried about financial aid or how many camps they pay for, It didn't seem to bother East Salt Lake much either.

And CoachTaylor, you are kidding aren't you ? I mean that post was meant as a joke, right ? we don't care about facilities ? that's the story your sticking with ? PA built a multi million dollar training facility. They weren't content with posting the video celebrating it on the school website. No no no, they sent a copy of the video to every news outlet in Arkansas, Texas and Missouri. You don't care about facilities ? why do you spend so much time and money promoting them ?

OverPrivileged

This is not to bash private schools or wealthy schools or successful schools.  But you have to know the differences in the type of student athlete you deal with and certain advantages or disadvantages some programs naturally have, no matter who coaches there. 
Most coaches at less advantaged schools will schedule summer work outs around the athletes work schedules or try to get kids jobs that will work with summer football.  Early morning and afternoon practices/weightlifting in the summer.  often times they will do 2 workouts per day to get as many kids a chance to show up as possible.  These coaches pick kids up for practices, take them home and have little brothers/sisters at the facilities watching big brother work out bc they are responsible for their siblings during the summer. 
Sometimes there is no way for kids to make it and coaches just have to deal with that.  Kids leave town to live with daddy in oklahoma for the summer.  Kids don't have parents at all and live with a friend BC a parent is an addict or in jail.  Being able to hold actual practices in the summer is impossible bc the entire team will almost never be able to make it at the same time in the middle of the day like they do at PA. 
Inner city schools often struggle.  See Memphis and LR and Tulsa.  The private schools do well.  The suburbs do well.  But usually only few actual inner city schools in a given city are ever very good, often due to recruiting to that one school i.e. Melrose in Memphis.
You sometimes have the same problem in rural areas, jobs leave people are poor, drug and alcohol abuse, no one at home pushing kids to be better at school, at sports, at life.  Kids depend on meals provided at school to eat and go hungry in the summer.  These are issues poor schools face.  And that doesn't even touch on the facilities, uniforms, equipment, and all the fancy toys like sleds, chutes, pop up dummies and decent practice balls. Coaches aren't paid well and want to leave, coaches get beat and ruin their reputations with 1-9 seasons (even if they have done wonderful things for kids outside the lines). Coaches leave BC they want their own kid to go to a better school.
Most of the time private schools do not deal with these situations.   I think its great that some kids have ample opportunity to succeed at life and sports.  I just also know that some kids and some places struggle and athletics are not the most important thing they have going on at 17 years old.  Its not necessarily anyone's fault, but it is what it is. 

wynnefootballfan

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 24, 2017, 08:34:12 am
I'm also confused Jessie. You said that PA's success is more impressive because they are privileged. You're essentially saying that when a school is surrounded by poverty and has success, it's not as impressive as PA?

I also noticed that somebody mentioned how PA practices in the middle of the day during the summers. While that's a great strategy, most of the kids from other towns who struggle financially must work during these hours in the summer to help feed their families. So it doesn't work everywhere. Or these kids can't get a ride in the middle of the day because their one family car is being used by their mother at work. Or they have to babysit. Or they don't have a car and a bus is their only chance to get to football practice.

You see, PA doesn't face these challenges. CAC doesn't face them. LRCA doesn't face them. You see where I'm going with this. What about kids having the money to pay for extra training? What about having the money to get the proper nutrition to enhance your body? What about coaches not having to explain plays over and over again because their are 0 (absolute fact, not an exaggeration) kids in special education classes?

So please, don't say PA's success is that much more impressive.

MD, this is very true. We have a few coaching friends that are in lets say depressed areas. In all of these areas they have no shortage of athletes or kids that really want to play, that's not the problem. The biggest problem they face is zero support from home for a large number of the kids. Most of the kids are on there own to get to practice. If they get to go to a couple of camps in the summer is not a priority to most of there families. A lot of them get maybe one halfway decent meal a day, the rest is chips and soda. This creates a negative mindset in a young person over time. That mindset makes it hard to have consistant success on Friday nights. When a player has family behind them helping to make sure they get good food, go to a number of camps, extra practices and workouts, talk to them about there plays and show lots of interest. This makes a huge difference and over time creates a winning mindset. PA's players have had a ton of this all there lives and good for them. I'm sure a lot of those families work hard and sacrifice to do so. Most of the players in Wynne, Batesville and other like schools have it. It is much easier to produce winning athletes from a financially, emotionally and supportive home.

wynnefootballfan

Quote from: vegasbobcat on February 24, 2017, 09:29:23 am
This is not to bash private schools or wealthy schools or successful schools.  But you have to know the differences in the type of student athlete you deal with and certain advantages or disadvantages some programs naturally have, no matter who coaches there. 
Most coaches at less advantaged schools will schedule summer work outs around the athletes work schedules or try to get kids jobs that will work with summer football.  Early morning and afternoon practices/weightlifting in the summer.  often times they will do 2 workouts per day to get as many kids a chance to show up as possible.  These coaches pick kids up for practices, take them home and have little brothers/sisters at the facilities watching big brother work out bc they are responsible for their siblings during the summer. 
Sometimes there is no way for kids to make it and coaches just have to deal with that.  Kids leave town to live with daddy in oklahoma for the summer.  Kids don't have parents at all and live with a friend BC a parent is an addict or in jail.  Being able to hold actual practices in the summer is impossible bc the entire team will almost never be able to make it at the same time in the middle of the day like they do at PA. 
Inner city schools often struggle.  See Memphis and LR and Tulsa.  The private schools do well.  The suburbs do well.  But usually only few actual inner city schools in a given city are ever very good, often due to recruiting to that one school i.e. Melrose in Memphis.
You sometimes have the same problem in rural areas, jobs leave people are poor, drug and alcohol abuse, no one at home pushing kids to be better at school, at sports, at life.  Kids depend on meals provided at school to eat and go hungry in the summer.  These are issues poor schools face.  And that doesn't even touch on the facilities, uniforms, equipment, and all the fancy toys like sleds, chutes, pop up dummies and decent practice balls. Coaches aren't paid well and want to leave, coaches get beat and ruin their reputations with 1-9 seasons (even if they have done wonderful things for kids outside the lines). Coaches leave BC they want their own kid to go to a better school.
Most of the time private schools do not deal with these situations.   I think its great that some kids have ample opportunity to succeed at life and sports.  I just also know that some kids and some places struggle and athletics are not the most important thing they have going on at 17 years old.  Its not necessarily anyone's fault, but it is what it is.

OK, I like your post better than mine..lol..

OverPrivileged

I just think its a shame that a coach from PA would talk a bout how "several" schools have nicer facilities.  Most don't have your facilities.  Most don't have your athletes. Most don't have your parents.  Most don't have the ability to compete with you.  Just look at your conference and tell me That mills and McClellan and parkview and fair have the resources to compete.  Just stop.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas