• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pervis Eagle prayers PLEASE

Started by InYoGrill, August 26, 2015, 10:25:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

InYoGrill

All,

For those of you posters who know or have seen Pervis Eagle post on here for years, please keep him in your prayers as well as everyone else who reads this thread.  He has been in and out of the hospital a lot lately and is in poor condition right now. He has been battling cancer for quite a while. I'll let it out but Pervis has been the Vilonia School Board President for many many years. He is highly respected in the V community and outside of it as well. His name is Jerry Roberts. A kind swell man that puts God, his family and school system first in his life. He loves supporting his Vilonia Eagles in every sport and every Friday night he tries his best to make the games. This year might be his hardest year to attend.

Thanks!

PA Dad

Quote from: InYoGrill on August 26, 2015, 10:25:30 pm

All,

For those of you posters who know or have seen Pervis Eagle post on here for years, please keep him in your prayers as well as everyone else who reads this thread.  He has been in and out of the hospital a lot lately and is in poor condition right now. He has been battling cancer for quite a while. I'll let it out but Pervis has been the Vilonia School Board President for many many years. He is highly respected in the V community and outside of it as well. His name is Jerry Roberts. A kind swell man that puts God, his family and school system first in his life. He loves supporting his Vilonia Eagles in every sport and every Friday night he tries his best to make the games. This year might be his hardest year to attend.

Thanks!

He sounds like a great guy.  My best wishes to him.

PrivateLesson

pantherblue

Pervis is a great guy that I enjoyed meeting....  My prayers are with him and his family..

Chief_Osceola™

Thoughts and prayers from Maumelle.

mlt

tmycjy

Hate to hear that in poor shape prayers from tmycjy

Overdahill

Yes, prayers here and I hope he can make some of those Friday nights

27 Trap

All,

Thanks!
Jerry is a very close personal friend of mine,  we having been going to same Doctor here in Conway for several years, he is in Conway Rehab Hospital and needs your "Prayers"....

Jimmymack

tmycjy

Quote from: 27 Trap on August 29, 2015, 05:53:02 pm

All,

Thanks!
Jerry is a very close personal friend of mine,  we having been going to same Doctor here in Conway for several years, he is in Conway Rehab Hospital and needs your "Prayers"....

Sorry to here that about your friend hope he get better for u

PWDad

Jerry is one of the finest men in Vilonia. He has touched so many children over the years. His daughter updated yesterday, he seems to be doing a little better. He is a true testament of how far a positive attitude will carry you through anything
Go Jerry and Go Eagles!!!

Jayepea

The Eagles are doing a good job Pervis Eagle!  :D

VHSCoach2

Just received the heartbreaking news that Mr. Roberts passed away this afternoon.

Please continue to keep his family in your thoughts and prayers through this very difficult time.

WPWells

Prayers from Charleston. This must be tough

Jayepea

DEVIL DOG HOG

InYoGrill

Jerry Roberts (Pervis Eagle)  passed away last Friday after a heroic battle against leukemia. The article below came from the Vilonia Eagle. I copy and pasted it.

Jerry Roberts of Vilonia, Friday, lost his battle with cancer. However, his friends said he will be remembered more for how he lived than rather how he died.
"He was one who showed everyone kindness, encouragement, humor and grace," said Steve Goode of Vilonia. The two have been friends, Goode said, for about 15 years. "Our loss is heaven's gain. He had an incredible wit. You hear that everyone is replaceable but I'm not sure about that with Jerry. He was a true hero — not a glamorized hero."
Roberts has been fighting idiopathic myelofibrosis, an uncommon type of chronic leukemia — a cancer that affects the blood-forming tissues in the body, since May 2007. He has seen several doctors and undergone numerous transfusions and more than 300 chemo treatments. Yet, he seldom mentioned his pain or suffering. Instead, he was a practical jokester to the end. His friends said they loved and will miss his quick wit and the "silly grin" that he always had on his face.
Roberts, president of the Vilonia Board of Education, began serving on the board about 25 years ago.
Dr. Frank Mitchell, former superintendent of the school district, said he and Roberts had been friends for about 28 years. There was seldom a day they didn't visit either in person or by phone. Sometimes, they talked on the phone for hours. They not only shared a love for the school district but a love for sports. They didn't always agree on things, especially politics, but it never matter regarding their feeling for each other.
Mitchell said that his friend Jerry was an inspiration to others.
"He made everyone feel better," Mitchell said. "The mood was always better if he was around. I really liked his spirit."
Mitchell also liked his wit. The two spent a majority of their friendship playing jokes on each other. When the newly built Frank Mitchell Intermediate School in Vilonia was downed by the tornado, Mitchell recalls that Roberts jokingly told him that he needed to go up to the site and get some of the bricks before they were done away with because the school board wasn't going to name another school after him.
"The bottom line about Jerry is that he cared about every kid. He loved athletics. He devoted his life to young people," Mitchell said. "He just couldn't stand to see a kid do without anything if he could help them. That held true in his job on the school board also."
Roberts was dubbed as Vilonia's "hometown hero" by the school district a couple of years ago — a title he reluctantly accepted. He was strong in his faith.
Roberts' friends said he was full of life and he loved living every day. He loved being with his wife Judy and his daughter, Kayla, as well as his many friends.
His greetings to most everyone, his friends said, was a loving slap on the back generally followed with a joke.
He loved laughing and did it with his whole body, one friend said. He was good at giving pep talks and shared many Skittles at ballgames. He had a way with words that would make you laugh and "smile big," another friend said.
"He was a cheerleader for the whole school athletic program," said Ed Sellers, assistant superintendent/athletic director. "He had a good heart and he was certainly one of a kind."
Sellers said he enjoyed Jerry's poetry. He often wrote "witty" poems and shared them with coaches and the team. "The kids loved them and him," Sellers said.
A 2014 Vilonia graduate, Jessica Stanley said, "I remember the first time I met Mr. Jerry. I was in the first grade at a basketball game and I started throwing a fit because my parents wouldn't let me get candy from the concession stand.
"Then out of nowhere this man shows up with a huge smile on his face and hands me a package of sour punch straws. This was the first of many times Mr. Jerry made me smile. He was such an amazing representation of how a life should be lived — laughing, smiling, and most of all loving God and his family. I was blessed beyond words to have had the opportunity to have known such an amazing role model."
Dr. David Stephens, school superintendent, said the school district is in mourning. "He leaves an empty spot here. It will definitely not be the same without him."

Jerry Wayne Roberts, 57, "Vilonia Hometown Hero" went to be with the Lord on Friday, September 4, 2015 after a hard fought battle with leukemia. Jerry was born on Thursday, November 14, 1957 to James and the late Syble Roberts of Conway. Jerry was a strong Christian and member of Friendship Baptist Church. He was currently serving his 26th year on the Vilonia Public School Board. Jerry has been described as "Vilonia's Biggest Fan" which he proudly displayed at most all sporting and school events. This past year, Jerry was unable to attend many of the functions at Vilonia, but would listen on the radio when he could or receive texts from one of his many friends. Jerry is survived by his loving wife of 33 years, Judy Milam Roberts and his greatest accomplishment his precious daughter Kayla. He is also survived by his siblings Jimmy Don (Freda) Roberts of Damascus, Jeff (Sarah) Roberts of Conway, Judy (Dennis) Haney of Conway and Vicky Allen of Colorado; brother-in-law Billy Milam of Little Rock, Arkansas and a host of nieces, nephews and cousins. Visitation will be Sunday, September 6, 2015, 1:00-3:00pm, at Friendship Baptist Church in Vilonia. Funeral service will be 11:00am, Monday, September 7, 2015 at the church with Bro. Ken Jordan and Bro. Chris "Taco" Franco officiating. Interment will follow in Crestlawn Memorial Gardens. Pallbearers will be Randy Sanders, Mark Samuelson, Mike West, Dennis Riggins, Heath Riggins and Josh Riggins. Honorary pallbearers will be Dr. Frank Mitchell, Gary Lambert, Don Campbell, Cliff Garrison and the Coaching Staff of Vilonia Public Schools.

Jayepea

OlGuyWicker

He was a truly great guy.  Always fun to talk to. 

urban legend2

Terrible to hear. Prayers going up.

WPWells

Sounds like a great man. I didn't ever have any interaction with him, but from what I'm hearing in this thread that would have been a real blessing for me. Prayers for all the people touched by this man

pantherblue

September 08, 2015, 08:28:37 am #22 Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:36:09 pm by pantherblue
RIP Pervis Eagle...  I am glad I got to meet this man and talk with him for a short time.  I could tell he was a special person to all that knew him... Prayers for his family and friends and all the Vilonia Eagles....

Lions84

Prayers sent for his family , friends and the community.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas