• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

who here thinks that cabots coach malham has reached his final few seasons

Started by c_pantherz6, February 16, 2006, 11:09:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

c_pantherz6

i think he has reached his final couple of seasons as the cabot panther football coach...atleast i hope that is the case because the panthers need to change theyre offense up alil bit...malhams ways are growin old and teams are finding ways to stop it....and his record has been steadly going down everysince the 2000 panthers

Walter

not ray

When the talent level is down is does not make any difference what offense you are running. 

voiceofthepanthers

Malham is not going anywhere because he does not need/have to. Our offense has and always will be a run oriented offense, even pre-Malham with Buzz Bolding. He has one bad year when one play from 6 or 7 of the losses made the difference in the outcome.  Our '01 and '02 teams were pretty salty, lost in the playoffs to the ultimate champs Bentonville and Southside. That 2000 team was special, we/no one can simply field that team every year. I guess Bernie Cox should go as well. He has been running the same offense for years too.

c_pantherz6

the talent level isnt even down well it wasnt....this is one of the fastest and strongest cabot teams weve had...they are breaking all the speed and strenghth records...noone  just dont like playing for him

7AFball

Amazing how everyone thinks up something about the coaches when there is a losing season rather than look at the talent they have to work with..   :P
If a running or passing game is what is called for, then the coaches decide what to do offensively in a game. Some may go from pass to run, depending on the defense. I do not know of ANY head coach who is stopped repeatedly with constant running that would not try passing to counter it.. The General at Wynne passes 2 times a game, one in each half, to "keep defense honest" he says. ;D  Well, the defenses can not stop his run plays, so why not run? Yes it is more boring but he wins games. You go with "what got you there"..  Cabot - the run has served them well and I would imagine IF they had a change in player talent with a good QB and receivers and pass blocking good OL, then Malham would pass more..  Hey, it is their job on line and they are not TRYING to lose you know! :-*
So, players and their talent determines what the coaches run, defense AND offense.. They see the players for preseason and know better than the "Monday Morning QB" does.
I am a student at Conway and have a physical problem with playing football but I have kept up with the old 5A since I was in 7th grade, wanting to play so badly... I follow the coaches, players and statistics etc.. Malham still has a LOT to offer the Cabot fans and sorry to see that they passed out fliers last year DURING the game to get rid of him.. Usually those fans who do that have a son or grandson playing and do not agree with lack of playing time or play calling that involves their relative! ;)

c_pantherz6

i they have had talent to pass the ball at times....but i dont care who you are no matter how much talent u have its gonna be hard to pass out of the only formation u run...the t

not ray

I think before anyone calls out the coach they should at least understand the use of capital letters and punctuation.

sportsfan

Just because a coach has been at a school for many years does not mean he needs to move on. Schools can not win a state championship every year. Central and Pine Bluff teams of yesteryear were able to win many consecutive championships, but they were a freak of nature.

Malzahn is the "greatest coach of all time" and he was only able to win one state championship in AAAAA.

I believe that coaches should produce a winning record each year and make the playoffs, everyone will have a down year occasionally. No one is going to win the state title every year! It's hard to do.

Malham is a great coach, he knows what he is doing. Let him coach. Old timers like him, Kenny Smith, Bernie Cox, the General and others know how to teach the game of football. They have proven to be successfull and a 25 year old can not replace them and immediately be successfull. There is no substitute for experience.

Lions84

Malham and the DEAD T will be at Cabot for many Falls to come. He too good of a coach to just let go.

powerlifter90

YOU have GOT to be kidding.  Malham, gone, yeah right.   If you have paid any attention to "Cabot football" over the years you have seen the same offensive and defensive alignments and strategies over and over again.  It doesn't matter who is wearing #15, 24, 99, etc, they just keep doing the same thing year after year, and being successful doing it.  You see Cabot try to get on top first, control the clock with the O, and hurt you with the D, which is why allot of the best athletes at Cabot play primarily on D.  What you don't or haven't seen is BIG turnover numbers and stupid drive killing penalties, this year you did.   Cabot football is today always has been and always will be the same, it's just that this year their record didn't reflect the tradition they have had.  Just b/c MM had one sub-par season is no reason for all the "haters" to wish for the spread.

Cabotfan

Quote from: c_pantherz6 on February 17, 2006, 08:50:41 am
noone just dont like playing for him

Well, let me see if I can help out here....

then DON"T PLAY!!!!

I would rather have no talent kids giving 110% on the field, than to listen to some whining teenager that doesn't like the way he's being treated!

Quote from: c_pantherz6 on February 17, 2006, 09:12:48 am
i they have had talent to pass the ball at times....but i dont care who you are no matter how much talent u have its gonna be hard to pass out of the only formation u run...the t

Is this English? It's really hard to understand what your are trying to say here, but if you think that Cabot only lines up in the T formation then you haven't watched much Cabot football. As a matter of fact he used more formations last year than usual.

Cabotfan

Quote from: 7A on February 17, 2006, 08:50:52 am
sorry to see that they passed out fliers last year DURING the game to get rid of him..

I  have heard NOTHING about this! Where did this come from?

Bogey

Quote from: Cabotfan on February 17, 2006, 01:12:43 pm
Quote from: 7A on February 17, 2006, 08:50:52 am
sorry to see that they passed out fliers last year DURING the game to get rid of him..

I  have heard NOTHING about this! Where did this come from?

This would be news to me as well.   

Every once in a while, a disgruntled parent that lives vicariously through their child gets a little pi$$y, but

Bogey

Quote from: BUGEATERS on February 17, 2006, 01:05:51 pm
YOU have GOT to be kidding. Malham, gone, yeah right. If you have paid any attention to "Cabot football" over the years you have seen the same offensive and defensive alignments and strategies over and over again. It doesn't matter who is wearing #15, 24, 99, etc, they just keep doing the same thing year after year, and being successful doing it. You see Cabot try to get on top first, control the clock with the O, and hurt you with the D, which is why allot of the best athletes at Cabot play primarily on D. What you don't or haven't seen is BIG turnover numbers and stupid drive killing penalties, this year you did. Cabot football is today always has been and always will be the same, it's just that this year their record didn't reflect the tradition they have had. Just b/c MM had one sub-par season is no reason for all the "haters" to wish for the spread.

Very well said, Buggeaters, and pretty much right on the money.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Bogey on February 17, 2006, 01:40:46 pm
Quote from: BUGEATERS on February 17, 2006, 01:05:51 pm
YOU have GOT to be kidding. Malham, gone, yeah right. If you have paid any attention to "Cabot football" over the years you have seen the same offensive and defensive alignments and strategies over and over again. It doesn't matter who is wearing #15, 24, 99, etc, they just keep doing the same thing year after year, and being successful doing it. You see Cabot try to get on top first, control the clock with the O, and hurt you with the D, which is why allot of the best athletes at Cabot play primarily on D. What you don't or haven't seen is BIG turnover numbers and stupid drive killing penalties, this year you did. Cabot football is today always has been and always will be the same, it's just that this year their record didn't reflect the tradition they have had. Just b/c MM had one sub-par season is no reason for all the "haters" to wish for the spread.

Very well said, Buggeaters, and pretty much right on the money.

Hey just b/c I live and Jax, and my son plays for them doesn't mean I don't know "Cabot football"    ;)

Bogey

OldPanther

WOW....where do I begin?  Let me first say that I graduated from Cabot, played for Bolding and Smith (along with Bogey) and have seen at least 90% of all the Cabot games in the last 15 years.  My son is a junior on the team and I've coached most of the other players in peewee football.

After saying all of that, I can honestly tell you what the "BIGGEST" problem with Cabot football is.....the kids are too lazy.  I'm not talking about the ones that are lifting weights at this very moment, but the ones that have played and quit over the past couple of years.  There is Division I talent all over the campus, but they lack the discipline and desire to play football. 

People keep comparing the teams of 5, 10 and 15 years ago but there's no comparison because those kids wanted to be a part of something special and didn't mind working hard to achieve it.  The coaches couldn't get the class of 2000 off the practice field most days because they wanted to keep practicing and practicing until they were perfect.  What's changed since then?....same coaches, same offense, same defense.....could it be the players?...or the dedication?

Last year's team was better than their record showed.  If you could take away half of their turnovers, they make the playoffs.  If they hadn't lost 6 to 8 starters out with injuries, they could have finished 2nd or 3rd in the conference easily.

The sega continues this year with already about 5 or 6 of last year's returning starters quiting.  Why did they quit?  I asked them, and they said that the off-season was too hard and they don't like getting up at 5:30 and lifting weghts.  I understand that because it's hard work to be a champion and they obviously don't want it bad enough.

I say let's keep the coaches and just find some kids that want to play some football....like they used to.

7AFball

What I heard last season was that a "petition" was circulated at least at one game to try and get rid of MM.  Think it was near the season's end after losing a close one the preceeding week.  So maybe not a flier (bad wording) but a list to sign...  I am sure a Cabot fan would have heard about or seen this in person..  Maybe it just slipped thru the cracks but got this from a friend at the game who saw the paperwork, whatever it was... Anyway, the 1-2% obviously did NOT win out... ;)

voiceofthepanthers

There is some truth to this, don't know the specifics, but it obviously did not go very far. Disgruntled parent I think, so don't quote me, was the perp. One of those whose kid can do no wrong and is the best athlete the town has produced type players. In reality, did more negative things than positive ones.

Bogey

Quote from: OldPanther on February 17, 2006, 03:10:57 pm
WOW....where do I begin?  Let me first say that I graduated from Cabot, played for Bolding and Smith (along with Bogey) and have seen at least 90% of all the Cabot games in the last 15 years. 

WAIT A MINUTE!!!  I am not QUITE as old as you are, Oldpanther!  ; )

(lol)

powerlifter90

Quote from: OldPanther on February 17, 2006, 03:10:57 pm
WOW....where do I begin?  Let me first say that I graduated from Cabot, played for Bolding and Smith (along with Bogey) and have seen at least 90% of all the Cabot games in the last 15 years.  My son is a junior on the team and I've coached most of the other players in peewee football.

After saying all of that, I can honestly tell you what the "BIGGEST" problem with Cabot football is.....the kids are too lazy.  I'm not talking about the ones that are lifting weights at this very moment, but the ones that have played and quit over the past couple of years.  There is Division I talent all over the campus, but they lack the discipline and desire to play football. 

People keep comparing the teams of 5, 10 and 15 years ago but there's no comparison because those kids wanted to be a part of something special and didn't mind working hard to achieve it.  The coaches couldn't get the class of 2000 off the practice field most days because they wanted to keep practicing and practicing until they were perfect.  What's changed since then?....same coaches, same offense, same defense.....could it be the players?...or the dedication?

Last year's team was better than their record showed.  If you could take away half of their turnovers, they make the playoffs.  If they hadn't lost 6 to 8 starters out with injuries, they could have finished 2nd or 3rd in the conference easily.

The sega continues this year with already about 5 or 6 of last year's returning starters quiting.  Why did they quit?  I asked them, and they said that the off-season was too hard and they don't like getting up at 5:30 and lifting weghts.  I understand that because it's hard work to be a champion and they obviously don't want it bad enough.

I say let's keep the coaches and just find some kids that want to play some football....like they used to.

As an outsider looking in I'll have to agree with the above post.  It's not just in Cabot but in most every area you look.  If you want to be successful at ANYTHING you have to work your rear off to achieve it and if you are not accomplishing your goals the first place you need to look is in the mirror.   If Cabot football wants to return to what it once was they don't need a different offense, defense, coach, etc they need to get the kids in the weight room and on the practice field to out work and over achieve like the teams of the past and the parents are the first place that needs to start.  Cabot parents band together get behind your kids and if "little johnny's" mom or dad is complaining tell them they are welcome to take their kid and play for a different school or not play at all.  All it takes is one person running their mouth to screw things up for everyone else.

OldPanther

Thanks BUGEATERS.....and yes Bogey, YOU ARE THAT OLD!!!

I was thinking about this over the weekend and have decided that it's not the kids fault.  It's the parent's fault.  I can only speak for myself, but my son has had a pampered life.  He's grown up with playstations, Xboxes, 500 cable channels, computers, cell phones, internet...etc.  He'll never feel the satisfaction of working and saving the money to buy his first car because when he turned 16 I'd already bought it for him. 

My point is I have given my kid so much in the idea of being a great parent that I've taken away any chances of him knowing what it feels like to actually achieve something through hard work and sacrifice.  If he doesn't know what it feels like, why would he want it?

7AFball

Malham will leave when he decides to do something else, go to administration, etc.  He still have a desire to coach.

Bogey

Quote from: OldPanther on February 21, 2006, 03:03:28 pm
Thanks BUGEATERS.....and yes Bogey, YOU ARE THAT OLD!!!

I was thinking about this over the weekend and have decided that it's not the kids fault.  It's the parent's fault.  I can only speak for myself, but my son has had a pampered life.  He's grown up with playstations, Xboxes, 500 cable channels, computers, cell phones, internet...etc.  He'll never feel the satisfaction of working and saving the money to buy his first car because when he turned 16 I'd already bought it for him. 

My point is I have given my kid so much in the idea of being a great parent that I've taken away any chances of him knowing what it feels like to actually achieve something through hard work and sacrifice.  If he doesn't know what it feels like, why would he want it?

With the exception of saying that I am "that old", this post is EXACTLY
correct.

I think we all want our kids to have it better than we did, and for the most part they do.  I mean if we had some of these things, we would have probably had the same attitude, work ethic, etc.

Your point is right on the money.  I, too, have tried to give my children EVERYTHING they wanted, and it seems that in doing that, they don't
to appreciate the hard work and sacrifice it takes.  Not necessarily by parents, but like you point out, by themselves. 

Clap for you, TT

Bogey

PS - It's true, I played in Bolding & Smith's last year, but I was also privileged
       enough to go through the Malham experience too!   :'(

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas