• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6-2A Offseason

Started by Da Truff, April 20, 2017, 08:35:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

playmaker04

Heard Augusta cancelled season due to low numbers. Anybody else hearing this?

Sonofasonofasailor

MomaLion

I did notice that we have several of the basketball kids that didn't play football last year playing this year so speed should be good.

da greatest bigbaby

June 16, 2017, 02:19:03 am #53 Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:53:43 pm by da greatest bigbaby
That's good moma their talent'd enough to help out in football  since were win'n the basketball an track conference title's every year they  might as well  win 1 in football if they all suit up this fall they can run  jump an catch  they would make good wideouts an corners an return men  an do you know if our new gym will be ready this season in Clarendon  go lions

MomaLion

Quote from: da greatest bigbaby on June 16, 2017, 02:19:03 am
That's good moma their talent'd enough to help out in football  since were win'n the basketball an track conference title's every year they  might as well  win 1 in football if they all suit up this fall they can run  jump an catch  they would make good wideouts an corners an return men  an do you know if our new gym will be ready this season in Clarendon  go lions
The new gym will be ready for the 2018/19 basketball season...it's supposed to be a big one.

da greatest bigbaby

Thx moma we're gonna need it for nxt year especially when Marianna lee an Earle join the 2a-6 conference an regional an state play an  it will be Malik senior year  their only loss was kip/Helena his freshman year in conference  but kip sr has fold'd since then they go south soo quickly   soo were definitely gonna need some new good teams their moma or thats gonna be to easy im sure then  you guys will be asking for Earle them an we will beat em good @ home lol   an hopefully it will motivate  our young football team to do better as well I think the jr high got 3rd behind Des arc an hazen   an don't get me wrong I like augusta an mccrory also but I don't think Augusta is even gonna field a team this year are they an mccrory is pick'd like  5th in the 2a-6  football conference Des arc  carlisle or clarendon hazen  mccrory Brinkley palestine marvell

BigLion10

Clarendon has the talent to make the top 4 for sure just depends on how the team gels and staying healthy. Last year it was basically cross running with it should be more balanced this season

jbtiger73

Guess who's back on FF 😉

BigLion10

Jb where in Hades u been man lol

jbtiger73

It's definitely a long story behind it. But I'm back. Just hoping my Tigers play well this season. Had a disappointing ending to the season last year. Have speed from what I understand, but need to get stronger and be more committed to the weight room like they were a few years ago with Greene and company. Don't know about the depth, or any transfers in or out. I'll try to find out more soon

MomaLion

Quote from: BigLion10 on June 19, 2017, 03:04:44 pm
Clarendon has the talent to make the top 4 for sure just depends on how the team gels and staying healthy. Last year it was basically cross running with it should be more balanced this season
For sure...i'm not looking for great things just yet but I think they are moving in the right direction.

BisonFan1

Just picked up my Hootens Magazine today and it looks like my predictions are pretty much in line with what they have listed for the 6-2A.

Hootens rankings:

DA
McCrory
Carlisle
Hazen
P/W
Clarendon
Augusta
Brinkley
Marvell

A few thoughts (somewhat lengthy, I apologize):

-As I stated in my breakdown earlier in the thread, DA (until someone knocks them off) deserves to be at the top.

-I was a little surprised to see McCrory ahead of both Hazen and Carlisle.  But then again, I am not as informed about their team as I am some of the others.  I do think they will be solid, as usual.     

-Having said that, I am really buying the Hazen potential right now and think they are going to have a tremendous year.  I can see/understand some of the skepticism based on the fact that a lot of their talent is going to be sophomores.  As good as those young guys are, you just don't know how long it will take them to get acclimated to the high school game.  Still high on these guys, though.

-Carlisle is right about where they ought to be (3rd in conference/14th in state).  I think the potential is there for us to have a really good season.  A lot of it, as with many other 2A schools, will depend on health throughout the season.  I think one of our biggest advantages is our schedule.  Aside from a trip to McCrory, we get our "tough" games at home.  Definitely would not rule out a conference championship for the Bison, but time will tell. 

-The remaining rankings are pretty much what I had, the only exception being Clarendon at 5th instead of 6th.   

-I also think, for the first time in a few years, Des Arc is going to be more vulnerable to conference loss(es).  They will still be a very, very good football team, but I don't think they will be the caliber that we have seen the last couple of years.  Then again, they may go 10-0.  Regardless, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

What's des arcs overall ranking?

BisonFan1

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on June 27, 2017, 06:14:51 am
What's des arcs overall ranking?

1st in conference/7th in state...I believe the conference rankings are voted on by the coaches and the state rankings are done by Hootens, but I could be wrong. 

Lions84

Hope those Lion's have been working this past month as we ease on through Summer.

RiverEagle079

i know that they have a two or three week break in des arc

big E

Dead period is up after next week.

RiverEagle079

Yeah DA starts a week from Monday inching closer to that opening day

cav2012

Very surprised of Hazen being at 4. Granted I know absolutely nothing about the teams ahead of them, except that I hate them.

Ventman

I think Hazen has the opportunity to be very good but they are also young. They should be very athletic.

RiverEagle079

Don't worry the hate is mutual!   ;D

Lions84

Enjoy the rest of your summer cause Friday night Lights will be on real soon!

Pick_DA_EAGLES

With Brinkley, Augusta and Marvell on the verge of not having a team this coming up season, des arc could very possibly only have 2 home games, (E.P.C. and Hazen).

Cheek

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 14, 2017, 10:18:35 pm
With Brinkley, Augusta and Marvell on the verge of not having a team this coming up season, des arc could very possibly only have 2 home games, (E.P.C. and Hazen).

It is not  fair for the other schools in the conference.  These schools numbers are dropping and will never get larger.  I know this is the trend in most delta schools.  Once these schools start to creep into Class A numbers, they need to accept reality and drop football.   

jbtiger73

Brinkley is not on the verge of dropping anything. We have 24 players. I know that may not be a lot, but we've played with less before. the talent level may have dropped as well, but those guys play extremely hard. For most schools, it just seems like it's never gonna get better anytime soon. And admittedly, we're one of those schools. You can blame it on a lot of things. Like school choice, people up and moving, or the millennials not wanting to do anything but play video games or hang out. But just like back then, it's up to the parents to take a stance, and have some community pride. We have so so many kids that live within mere blocks of the school, and send their kids 35 or 40 minutes away for school. I just sit here sometime and say, it can't be that bad here, can it? But I actually found out that parents are follower's. Wherever their friend or church member's kids are going, they hype it up real though, and the ultimately send their kids there. And I've actually talked to some of the kids about it. And asked them what is the difference. And the majority of them said that it wasn't one. Just new people of course. I hope you guys and gals on here can excuse my post for being too long. Haven't been on here for a while, ya know. Lol

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 15, 2017, 09:18:58 am
Brinkley is not on the verge of dropping anything. We have 24 players. I know that may not be a lot, but we've played with less before. the talent level may have dropped as well, but those guys play extremely hard. For most schools, it just seems like it's never gonna get better anytime soon. And admittedly, we're one of those schools. You can blame it on a lot of things. Like school choice, people up and moving, or the millennials not wanting to do anything but play video games or hang out. But just like back then, it's up to the parents to take a stance, and have some community pride. We have so so many kids that live within mere blocks of the school, and send their kids 35 or 40 minutes away for school. I just sit here sometime and say, it can't be that bad here, can it? But I actually found out that parents are follower's. Wherever their friend or church member's kids are going, they hype it up real though, and the ultimately send their kids there. And I've actually talked to some of the kids about it. And asked them what is the difference. And the majority of them said that it wasn't one. Just new people of course. I hope you guys and gals on here can excuse my post for being too long. Haven't been on here for a while, ya know. Lol

Well if Brinkley has 24, that's 10 more than I had heard they had.

jbtiger73

We finished last season with 14. Trust me. I know what we have

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 15, 2017, 02:29:01 pm
We finished last season with 14. Trust me. I know what we have

I hope they do play. 2 home games will stink.

jbtiger73

Yeah. That definitely will

jbtiger73

Also seen in hootens that Augusta's QB transferred to Searcy. Is supposed to play DB for them. Wonder is that gonna change anything for them

purpleswag

Quote from: Cheek on July 15, 2017, 08:11:30 am
It is not  fair for the other schools in the conference.  These schools numbers are dropping and will never get larger.  I know this is the trend in most delta schools.  Once these schools start to creep into Class A numbers, they need to accept reality and drop football.

Been saying for years that Arkansas needs 8 man football. There are enough schools who could field an 8 man team.

jbtiger73

I definitely agree on that. Then I also believe with that, you could also possibly start football at a lot of the basketball only schools. I know it wouldn't have the power to open back up a already closed school. But you never know

playmaker04

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 15, 2017, 04:23:36 pm
I hope they do play. 2 home games will stink.
pick you didn't lose Dillon Conway did you? Didn't see him on 2017 Roster

HorseFeathers

Quote from: purpleswag on July 15, 2017, 04:50:12 pm
Been saying for years that Arkansas needs 8 man football. There are enough schools who could field an 8 man team.

Do the schools want to though?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: playmaker04 on July 17, 2017, 07:55:08 am
pick you didn't lose Dillon Conway did you? Didn't see him on 2017 Roster

Not that I know of. As far as I know he's still playing.

RiverEagle079

According to him he is playing and he has been at the workouts and practices as far as I know

Pick_DA_EAGLES

He most definitely IS still playing AND if he keeps his head on straight, he will be the best offensive player in 2A. And will be the third straight year one of the Conway boys earns an athletic scholarship.

RiverEagle079

He can be good really good he just has to want to do it his discipline is not on point as it should be

playmaker04

Is Augusta Fielding a team or not? I've heard they are,they ain't. Kitchens claims they are but not going to play a scrimmage game because of low numbers. Will the real Augusta Red Devil's please stand up,please stand up!

big E

What I was told is they are week to week told us to have a backup plan.  How do you have a backup plan ? You either play or you don't. Sounds like some off weeks in the 6.

Ric Flair

It is really sad that some teams have such low numbers. My son's senior year Marvell cancelled at 5:30. Carlisle's team was at the field house already had a pregame meal and boom "no game". Would have been a chance for second team kids to get 3 quarters of playing time. I saw on FOX 16 last night Carlisle only has 22. Sad to see the numbers so low.

Ric Flair

Carlisle had 30 to 40 players every year my kid played. 2011,2012 and 2013 had a 35-5 record also. Hopefully the numbers will get better for the 6-2A. I am more of a GAC fan now but Des Arc seems to have the top program in 6-2A by far. Coach Wiedner is a great young Coach. Hazen has some very good young talent coming up also.

jbtiger73

My high school years at Brinkley, 1998-2000 seasons, we averaged around 75 players to start August practice. By the end the heat eventually got to some, and we usually finished with around 64. That's still a lot. Even for a 3A team, which we were at the time. And that was when the small schools were open still. So these were all Brinkley kids. No school choice

Ventman

Hard to play football with just 22 kids. I think it's just going to get worse unfortunately for these small schools. I hope I'm wrong.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Ventman on July 21, 2017, 07:04:04 am
Hard to play football with just 22 kids. I think it's just going to get worse unfortunately for these small schools. I hope I'm wrong.
[/quote

Coaches have to adjust.  One  problem in my  opinion is that too many coaches are locked in to the idea that they'll have 30 or more players and refuse to make any adjustments.    Then suddenly they are facing actual games with 16 or 17 players on the team and they bemoan "todays kids".

Ventman

They will need to adjust for sure. Hopefully the numbers will get higher at Carlisle and the other small schools in the state. I sure would hate to see some of these 2A schools lose their football programs.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Ventman on July 21, 2017, 07:04:04 am

Des Arc has done it the last 2 or 3 years.

Ventman

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 21, 2017, 11:29:30 am
Des Arc has done it the last 2 or 3 years.
It can be done with the right 22.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Ric Flair

You can win plenty of games with "THE RIGHT" 22 players. Barton won 3 or 4 state titles in the 80's with that or less. But they were all football players. No "country club boys" for the Barton Bears of the 80's.................lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas