• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnet Cove Open?

Started by Dr. Defense, March 28, 2017, 01:20:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Defense

Saw the MC Head Football/AD job posted. Did Coach Efird resign/retire? He's a good man and has done well at MC over the years

mrknowitall

Resigned. Going to continue to teach still.

mriderpride84

This should be interesting who they hire.

nomorewhining

OB11

It's on SchoolSpring I'm pretty sure.

AirItOut21

The head basketball job has come open as well

southarkdaddy

head fb and bball the same day?  Whats going on at magnet, both of those coaches had been there a while. 

nomorewhining

The basketball job is on SchoolSpring, but not football

southarkdaddy

Quote from: nomorewhining on March 29, 2017, 01:10:08 pm
The basketball job is on SchoolSpring, but not football

Both on school spring 1 after the other

mriderpride84

2 alumni and 1 current coach will more than likely be in the running.

panther_forever

I really hope coach Golden will get the job

Beaver Fever

Yea, and maybe he will have loyal assistants too!

mriderpride84

What exactly would be Golden's selling point for getting the job? Not trying to be negative just curious what he has done since being at magnet as the offensive coordinator?

mriderpride84

Not sure how big of a hurry they are in but was told Barrett, Amerson, Golden were some names being thrown around.

Beaver Fever

Why did you bring him up when I was talking about loyal assistants?

mriderpride84

southarkdaddy

Quote from: mriderpride84 on March 30, 2017, 07:13:11 pm
Not sure how big of a hurry they are in but was told Barrett, Amerson, Golden were some names being thrown around.

Seems like Barrett would be a no brainer.  He was a very good player for them a while back and has been 2a COY... Who is Amerson?

mriderpride84

Barrett has done well at Poyen rough last couple years but tough in a traditional basketball school. Amerson was a former good player as well no HC experience but has been around the state with success. Currently at Sheridan don't even know if he would take the pay cut.

panther_forever

coach golden said that he wants the best coach possible for us, and i know poyen dont work like we do and i want a coach that will make us work. Coach golden is the best coach for the job

Dr. Defense

Coach Barrett is a good coach and good person....He would be a great fit for the job. Amerson wouldn't be bad either. He has been around and has a lot of experience in a lot of different programs

Str8thug

Quote from: panther_forever on March 31, 2017, 08:39:57 am
coach golden said that he wants the best coach possible for us, and i know poyen dont work like we do and i want a coach that will make us work. Coach golden is the best coach for the job

I wouldn't talk too much noise there bud.  Poyen has beat yall 2 out of the last 3 years. 
I just don't understand how magnet can believe that an assistant with no HC experience, (really no winning experience) is the savior of the program when they just ran off a HC that just a few short years ago won back to back to back conference championships.  What has golden done? other than divide the players and parents against Efird, have rumored personal life issues, and be a part of two bad seasons at the cove?  Must be the parents think they can manipulate him..
I just hope my England lions can hire someone to fill the big shoes coach Farmer left!

Str8thug

Kinda surprised Englands Coach Garrick isnt named in this list.  He is as good a coach as golden is and has been a part of a successful team.  He is a magnet boy as well.

mriderpride84

I know Barrett and Amerson, and they are both great guys. Barrett is a solid coach who has helped make Poyen competitive. He is a pretty calm guy that gets along with kids, and parents well. He was the OC at hot springs, which their record didn't tell the story of the issues hot springs had going on. Amerson had a great defense at Strong as the DC, and took a terrible 0-10 Marshall team to the playoffs as the OC in 1 year. He was at McGeehe for the last few years with a lot of success. He has a lot of fire, and kids love him. I saw his son play in a pee wee game, and that boy may be better than his dad. Both would be great hires. These 2 are friends but polar opposites when it comes to personalities. Barrett is calm and politically correct guy, while Amerson is more tempo and sometimes not so politically correct.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: Str8thug on March 31, 2017, 09:30:04 am
Kinda surprised Englands Coach Garrick isnt named in this list.  He is as good a coach as golden is and has been a part of a successful team.  He is a magnet boy as well.

I thought Garrick was from Warren?

mriderpride84

Garrick good guy, but only has a few years in on a team loaded with athletes. Other 2 guys are proven winners with lack of athletes.

BigLion10

Garrett is the one from Warren, Garrick is from MC

nomorewhining

March 31, 2017, 10:59:02 am #26 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:00:36 am by nomorewhining
What if a highly qualified coach with no ties to MC applied?

mriderpride84

Depends if he is looking to use Magnet as a stepping stone or not I would imagine.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: mriderpride84 on March 31, 2017, 09:58:39 am
Garrick good guy, but only has a few years in on a team loaded with athletes.

How many is a few? 3 to 5 is generally good enough for small schools

mriderpride84

They had 3-5 studs filling up the water bottles lol

panther_forever

well if the players had any say of who we want then coach golden to be our head coach, we dont want anyone else and coach golden was very limited on what he was able to do the last 2 years he was only allowed to run 6 plays the hole year.

mriderpride84

Easy to put blame on the head man. How long has golden been there? If i'm not mistaken didn't Magnet start losing when Golden started calling plays? Looking at Efird's record it was pretty good up until about 3 years ago.

panther_forever

Quote from: mriderpride84 on March 31, 2017, 12:04:44 pm
Easy to put blame on the head man. How long has golden been there? If i'm not mistaken didn't Magnet start losing when Golden started calling plays? Looking at Efird's record it was pretty good up until about 3 years ago.
coach efird stopped caring the last 2 years i know bc i was on the senior high team he was good when we had athletes and when he knew he good make something out of the team and let coach golden get head coach for next season and we will see what happens ill be a senior next year and we will be in the top 10 next year even though every one is counting us out

nomorewhining

I'm sure the players want the guy they already know and like.....and even though I don't know Coach Golden, I'm sure he would do a good job. But don't rule out everyone else. There may be another coach out there that you will get to know and like, who may take you to the next level. Just sayin'.

mriderpride84

March 31, 2017, 12:21:21 pm #34 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:22:58 pm by mriderpride84
coach efird stopped caring the last 2 years i know bc i was on the senior high team he was good when we had athletes and when he knew he good make something out of the team and let coach golden get head coach for next season and we will see what happens ill be a senior next year and we will be in the top 10 next year even though every one is counting us out.
[/b]
I watched yall play last year, and Magnet should always be in the top 10, and can be for sure. Change isn't always a bad thing. Imagine a former Magnet Alumni would be easier to except then somebody else.

Str8thug

Dont forget Caleb Garrick has also won a state championship with Billy Elmore at Stuttgart, before his winning continued at England.  How many rings do the others mentioned have? btw didnt billy elmore kick yalls tail when he was at glen rose?might be good to bring someone who worked under elmore in to instill a different culture at the cove.  Them boys seemed pretty soft from what i can tell.  sure they are "good kids" tho;D

Magneto

Heard there were close to 100 applicants already.  Not sure of any names.  I figured the ones that have been mentioned on here are some of them.  What about Finley at Bauxite?  Another MC Alum.  Played in college has some good experience.  Just a thought.

Magneto

Also saw Coach Kehner down at the store this morning in Magnet so maybe...... Lol 

mriderpride84

Once again Garrick is a good guy but how much coordinator experience does he have? Has he ever coached without athletes etc. I would be drawn more to Amerson because he has won with terrible athletes actually being the person calling the plays. Plus his understanding of those delta teams who out athlete us deep in the playoffs. Barrett has also shown he can win with no athletes.

mriderpride84

Wonder how soon they plan to start interviewing?

BigLion10

Garrick ran our defense most of the time

MagicMike

How many alumni coaches does this place have

mriderpride84

Just heard from a good source Barrett and Amerson were both contacted not sure if they were interested or not.

SR30

Kehner lives in MC and is at the store all the time. Trust me he is happy right where he is. Spent about 3 hours with him this morning as a matter of fact. Still can't get MC to sign that contract... SMH

Magneto

Is Amerson related to the other Amerson that use to coach at Magnet?

mriderpride84

N2DEEP

Well I played for the old Amerson and I know Magnet does not want a repeat of that mess. That was someone who did not know how to run a program.

As a father of a Jr. High Panther, I want someone to put in the time and be dedicated. The lack of dedication in the senior high last spring was disheartening.

I know my son loves coach Golden and his attitude and I know he pushes them right now in off season to get better. My son's bench has went up 60 lbs and his power clean up 40 lbs, and they start some new crossfit power training this coming week ( like flipping tires etc...). he also loves to play for coach Webb, who is a great defensive mind.

Also the coach will have to be strong enough to withstand the clique's at Magnet. He/ She will have to put the best players in the correct spots and not give in to pressure and/ or previous hype.

As for BBall I do not know the whole story, but with having an average year and head butting with our best player who left, and compounded with the Jr. Boys having a horrible season it may have been too much for the board to overlook.

mriderpride84

The thing is Golden has been there for the last few years since Magnet has went down hill. Loyalty is a good thing but I imagine a few parents who have kids who got to start last year don't want to rock the boat. Efird had a great overall record there but sometimes change is needed and the boat needs to be rocked. And as far as Amerson goes I wouldn't worry about running a program he is an intense dude who absolutely loves the weight room. I would be more worried about what he would say to the parents. If you ever met the guy he comes off a little rough and don't think the little clicks around here would like that much.

SR30

April 01, 2017, 08:30:49 pm #48 Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:43:01 am by SR30
Couldn't agree more with n2Deep.. when the coach can run his program the way he wants without interference the cove will do great things

mriderpride84

Parents have to know up front what to expect. Nothing wrong trying to be supportive of the program but playing time should never be discussed with a parent. Sometimes parents think little jr is better than he is. I know some don't like Kehner but a friend was telling me parents know better than to approach him in a certain way. Sometimes that bulldog mentality is good.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas