• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT CROSS COUNTY?

Started by mrkingark, August 13, 2016, 12:28:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

birddawg1986

I imagine after last seasons disappointing Sr season the fan base might not be happy or coach just doesn't have the energy/drive to rebuild. Folks in CC last season excepted nothing less than a championship game/final four appearance. He still has 3 good years left with what he has then it will get real bleek for CC unless the kids from Wynne come over. Williams is a good coach, but maybe its time for Greenwell to guide the ship. Hope if works out for CC & Coach Williams.

mtindian42

playmaker04

All Jr high games have been moved back to Thursday

Okieback

Quote from: FD4 on August 14, 2016, 01:33:26 pm
There was an article in the local paper about the move, had to do with getting older and travel on back to back nights, keeping focused. I read it and it all made good sense to me.

Thursday , games
Then Friday next night, suck
Especially if it is a long haul on Thursday.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Okieback on August 18, 2016, 01:59:47 pm
Thursday , games

But everyone does it, and in most cases, teams are only on the road one of the nights.

mtindian42

August 18, 2016, 03:07:33 pm #55 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:09:41 pm by mtindian42
Quote from: Okieback on August 18, 2016, 01:59:47 pm
Thursday , games
hold up... What? Lol he is coaching football... Not working on a chain gang...I may be out of line here if so by all means correct me...but, he is coaching football... A great job i would say he has. Yeah you got armchair quarterbacks to give you a hard time... At the end of the day you got the job most guys dream about... long trips are part of it...Jr. and senior high.

I've never been a coach at this level. I could be wrong about coaching being a great job. I'm assuming it's and awesome job...

Hornet guy

So did they fire Wiliams ? Have heard other reasons why he was let go .

switch hitting tackle

Hornet guy

Yes he is gone talked to Greenwell last night and he said he was the head coach now .

mtindian42

He shouldn't be out of work long. Guy can coach some football!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: mtindian42 on August 24, 2016, 07:57:38 pm

Maybe he can get a job where his boy is going to school at

mtindian42

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 24, 2016, 08:01:40 pm
Maybe he can get a job where his boy is going to school at
wynne would be smart to add him to there staff.

playmaker04

Him and Chris hill don't care for each other. A CC player was talking to Hill about transferring last year and Williams told AAA. Considered recruiting. Wynne got in a little trouble not much.

mtindian42

Quote from: playmaker04 on August 25, 2016, 08:36:38 am
Him and Chris hill don't care for each other. A CC player was talking to Hill about transferring last year and Williams told AAA. Considered recruiting. Wynne got in a little trouble not much.
so much for that then. Wynne is not and option. He will land somewhere tho. I hear Harrisburg is not to happy with dAvis.

Hornet guy

Davis is no longer the coach at Harrisburg . Also I could not see Harrisburg hiring any coach from CC .

mtindian42

Quote from: Hornet guy on August 25, 2016, 09:22:19 am
Davis is no longer the coach at Harrisburg . Also I could not see Harrisburg hiring any coach from CC .
I heard that last year some folks was rumbling about him...didn't know he was gone. Wow. So much for that thought lol Williams is just stuck it looks like...

2aball

Quote from: mtindian42 on August 24, 2016, 07:57:38 pm

He had told me that he was about ready to retire from coaching all together before any of this happened. So I'm not sure he will look for another coaching job.

Williams7475

As you can see, I'm not a regular to this site, but was told I needed to see this thread.  I'm Coach Williams' brother and feel like a reply is necessary.  The main thing for now (as I will update more later) is that he is being recommended for termination by the administration for insubordination for changing the junior high football games (as the Athletic Director) to a Tuesday night so he could go watch his son play football at Wynne.  His son has attended Wynne since Kindergarten.  If you are familiar with the Arkansas Teacher Fair Dismissal Act, then you know it is very specific on how this procedure is handled.  We will be appealing to the Cross County School Board this recommendation and once that has happened and a date is set, I will make sure to update this thread.  We look forward to defending his stance on this vigorously and I am utterly embarrassed by the school district that I once was proud to call my alma mater.  I will hold more comments until this is over.  Thanks to all for your supportive comments for Coach Williams.

MomaLion

LineStepper

playmaker04

Quote from: Williams7475 on September 07, 2016, 08:14:27 am
As you can see, I'm not a regular to this site, but was told I needed to see this thread.  I'm Coach Williams' brother and feel like a reply is necessary.  The main thing for now (as I will update more later) is that he is being recommended for termination by the administration for insubordination for changing the junior high football games (as the Athletic Director) to a Tuesday night so he could go watch his son play football at Wynne.  His son has attended Wynne since Kindergarten.  If you are familiar with the Arkansas Teacher Fair Dismissal Act, then you know it is very specific on how this procedure is handled.  We will be appealing to the Cross County School Board this recommendation and once that has happened and a date is set, I will make sure to update this thread.  We look forward to defending his stance on this vigorously and I am utterly embarrassed by the school district that I once was proud to call my alma mater.  I will hold more comments until this is over.  Thanks to all for your supportive comments for Coach Williams.
zthsnks for updating us. Nobody from the school has said one thing to the parents,players or fans. This whole thing was handled poorly.

Hornet guy

This was a choice made be the school admin . They would not have to or need to say anything to the parents or the students . The parents or students have no say in what the school admin does .

big E

Sounds like the administration had it in for him .

Head Lion

As most know, I am a school board member. I have a good deal of knowledge & experience with the school law. If he is AD, he has the authority to schedule games, one of basic responsibilities of an AD. This legally will not hold mustard in the court of law as being insubordination. My take on the info presented, CC better get ready to pay up. Most cases on Fair Dismissal requires multiple documented offenses. Easier to hit the Powerball than dismiss a teacher, unless they have had inappropriate contact with a student. My take on a sad situation.

Williams7475

Head Lion, I am a school board member in Cabot.  Finishing up my 7th year.  While I will wait until after this passes to offer my personal opinion, I tend to agree with your insight on this.  I've been through several termination hearings while on the board, and as I said in my first post, the Arkansas Teacher Fair Dismissal Act is very expressive in its meaning and the procedures to follow.  I've stepped back and looked at this as a board member and I'm actually amazed we are at this point.  We look forward to our time to state our case and the facts of the case.  While I understand what Hornet Guy was trying to say about the administration not having to answer to parents and students, the school board is elected by the patrons to do two things:  1. Hire and fire the Supt (meaning hold that position accountable to carry out the principles, policies and procedures the board establishes) and 2. Create a budget for the district.  So the patrons can hold the school board accountable, thus requiring them to hold the Supt accountable to ensure a decision of this magnitude is not made lightly.  This is the career of a man who has put 26 years of his life to a generation of students.  I will keep this thread updated to the timeline of our steps as they progress.  Once again, thanks for all the support for Coach Williams.

playmaker04

Quote from: Williams7475 on September 07, 2016, 11:58:45 pm
Head Lion, I am a school board member in Cabot.  Finishing up my 7th year.  While I will wait until after this passes to offer my personal opinion, I tend to agree with your insight on this.  I've been through several termination hearings while on the board, and as I said in my first post, the Arkansas Teacher Fair Dismissal Act is very expressive in its meaning and the procedures to follow.  I've stepped back and looked at this as a board member and I'm actually amazed we are at this point.  We look forward to our time to state our case and the facts of the case.  While I understand what Hornet Guy was trying to say about the administration not having to answer to parents and students, the school board is elected by the patrons to do two things:  1. Hire and fire the Supt (meaning hold that position accountable to carry out the principles, policies and procedures the board establishes) and 2. Create a budget for the district.  So the patrons can hold the school board accountable, thus requiring them to hold the Supt accountable to ensure a decision of this magnitude is not made lightly.  This is the career of a man who has put 26 years of his life to a generation of students.  I will keep this thread updated to the timeline of our steps as they progress.  Once again, thanks for all the support for Coach Williams.
thanks.keep us updated

Dayton Kitchens

Who cares if the games are on Tuesday night or Thursday night anyway?

They're both school nights.

playmaker04

You never hear a word during basketball when you have 4 games a week.

Hornet guy

I know nothing of what is happening there but there seems to be more to the story than just moving games .

FD4

And here comes the monkey wrench! Williams7475 and Head Lion, powder for the cannon.  I would say that more than half of all the 2A, 3A and 4A schools in the DELTA switch the Friday night game, the last game of the season to Thursday for one reason and one reason alone, Deer Season!  Not one time have I ever heard of, and that is over the last 25 years, has a single head coach or AD been ostracized, chastised, demoted, suspended or terminated for that, now, have they?  No.  I for one am somewhat of a friend of coach W, and in his early days of coaching at CC, had even gone to the stadium and did repairs to bleachers and the press box out of my own pocket.  So if you don't think I am not ticked off by this, you have your head in the sand.  What I think is wrong up there is the stupidity of a charter school system in the first place.  I am against it and always will be.  You said it right Lion, the school board has not only the obligation but the duty to act on this or turn in a resignation.  Now, I said that! For those that disagree, you want some, come get some!

dragondad

Just makes more sense all around to me, to play Jr games on Tuesday.  That's how we did it back in the day.  Coaches that Coach both Jr and Sr need to be preparing for Sr games on Thursday.

stuck in between

A lot of things have changed since I was in Jr. High School, but we always played on Tuesdays. As far as our practice schedule we only practiced during our 6th period athletic period so there would have been no significant difference either way it went. How many 2-A Jr. High programs practice after school now days? Especially the ones that share the same head coach with the Sr. High. Looks to me that if anyone would lose practice time it would be the Sr. High losing it on the Tuesdays the Jr. High had a longer road game.   

dragondad#1

This is my thing as a parent...if I have a child in Jr high and all games are set up for Thursdays, wit us working folk its hard to get schedule changes like that on short notice...I know with what I do for a living a change like that would be brutal...jmo

dragondad

No one loses practice time,  and it's still a week between JR games.

bleudog

September 08, 2016, 04:30:37 pm #84 Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:33:33 pm by bleudog
Quote from: dragondad#1 on September 08, 2016, 03:57:59 pm
This is my thing as a parent...if I have a child in Jr high and all games are set up for Thursdays, wit us working folk its hard to get schedule changes like that on short notice...I know with what I do for a living a change like that would be brutal...jmo

Good point dd1.

Just a couple of what-ifs:

1)   What if the parent of a junior high player comes to the football coach, AD, principal or superintendent and informs that school employee the parent has to work on Thursday nights.  Because of this work conflict, the parent won't be able to watch their child play football.  This parent asks the football coach, AD, principal or superintendent to move the junior high football games to Tuesdays, the parent's night off, to accommodate the parent.  What response does the parent likely receive from the football coach, AD, principal or superintendent?

2)   What if the Thursday to Tuesday shift of junior high games was approved and it's two years from now.  Would it be reasonable to guess the football coach would then need to have Friday nights off for the same reason the junior high games were moved?  At that time, do the junior high games get moved back to Thursdays and the senior high get moved to Tuesdays to accommodate the coach?

dragondad#1

Head Lion

Valid points from all, move games or keep on same night. Scheduling is up to AD & Head Coach. Changes happen all the time in all sports, not insubordination. Better get ready to pay the man, Period.

mtindian42

Quote from: Head Lion on September 08, 2016, 10:30:51 pm
Valid points from all, move games or keep on same night. Scheduling is up to AD & Head Coach. Changes happen all the time in all sports, not insubordination. Better get ready to pay the man, Period.
YEP.

big E

mtindian42

yeah there is for sure some bad blood here somewhere... Some one is got it in for mr. Williams...

FD4

Well, in short, all of us have to be careful on this issue for sure.  Especially if you know the people involved, ergo, the AD, Coach, Super, Board Members and so on.  I really don't have a dog in that fight up there but I do have a deep and loyal interest in CCHS.  My wife is an old Bird and we keep up.  But you can rest assured, my opinion of course, there were some procedures that have been overlooked by the Super.  So looking at it from my perspective and relating it to my job as a professional, if a similar instance happened to me, and suspension and termination were not in accordance to policy, I'm suing.  And I mean I am coming after all parties involved.  Now me being me, I would probably simply sue for an apology and my job back unless punitive damages and attorney fees necessitate compensation.  I expect to see this unravel like an old rope gone bad.

playmaker04

Greenwell is having it rough because he has the responsibility of trying to get the Jr and sr high prepared to play each week with coach Jones who is in his 5th year I believe and a new assistant Matt Birkhead. Only 3 coaches.

Hornet guy

Greenwell will do a fine job as the new Thunderbirds coach .

Williams7475

As I said I would update this thread, Coach Williams has filed his appeal to the Cross County School Board.  The hearing, which will be an open hearing, is scheduled for Tuesday, October 4 at 7:00 PM.  An open hearing means anyone can attend and I encourage all Cross County School District parents, staff, and taxpayers to attend.  You will be able to determine if those school board members, which you elect, make a fair and factual decision based on what everyone will hear in that room on that night.  We look forward to the public disclosure of those factual events in order for all to see whether what happened is really justified as a terminating offense.  Once again, I will hold my subjective opinion until later.  Finally, thanks again for all the support that Coach Williams has been offered during this troubling ordeal.

FD4

Your Welcome, and if I had the $$$$$$, I would open up a private Christian Academy here in Cross County and hire Coach Williams as my AD and give him the latitude to do what ever would be necessary to start an athletic program.  I would hire the best teachers money could buy and my goal would be to provide the best education possible at the same time teaching the Doctrine of Jesus Christ.  All graduate students would be eligible for college, either through academic or scholastic scholarship or a GPA that would qualify them for state funded institutions of higher education or private. 

littleman

Trust me if they fire him for this, he will own that place.

Hornet guy

Seen on kait 8 news app that it is official Williams has been fired from Cross County .

playmaker04

I was at the meeting. He was allowed to resign,be paid through the rest of the school year with the stipulation that he take no other action toward the school district.

OB11

Quote from: playmaker04 on October 05, 2016, 09:51:18 am
I was at the meeting. He was allowed to resign,be paid through the rest of the school year with the stipulation that he take no other action toward the school district.

Is that what he did?  Or did he decline that and the school terminated him?

FD4

That is what I would like to know also.  In my opinion, the school has overstepped its bounds.  Having said that, you wonder if SW even wants to go back to that place.  There are other opportunities out there should he want to stay in education.  But if not, there are a lot of things here at stake other than a job as a coach or teacher.  Your talking about his pension, insurance, time invested, and not to mention where the athletic program was prior to his hiring.  I mean, after all, CC owned the longest losing streak in the history of high school football in Arkansas having gone through 5 head coach's in 5 years.  Remember this, after all the dust has settled, it aint the NCAA, and it aint the NFL, are those kids getting the best education available, or not? I wonder.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas