• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-2A predictions

Started by KREWSAWHEWSKI, August 11, 2016, 11:16:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Anyone care to make predictions based upon anything that's happened over the summer or 7-on-7 or reports from fall practices so far?

stuck in between

Due to my lazy ways I went back to an older post of mine and copied and pasted. I really didn't see much need in moving anyone, however due to the coaching change at Dierks I did move them into the 3-7 spots rather than having them sitting at #3 alone. I think the transition might give them trouble. Quite honestly after Mt. Ida the 2nd seed could be anyone's to loose.

1. Mt. Ida- Although they lost a lot to graduation last year it is still their conference to loose. Especially with Gurdon moving up to 3-A. Coming off their best season since their 2007 state championship run I think there will be a little bit of a let down, but with a very talented Jr. high moving up and the overall weakness of the conference they should still be the King of the jungle.

2.  Lafayette County - Loosing their stud back will hurt. I'm not sure if they have someone ready to fill the shoes that Mr. Burks has left empty, but one thing they always have an abundance of in Lower Arkansas is speed and speed will kill a lot of other teams chances of competing for the top spots in the conference. They will have to rely heavily on Williams, but the #2 spot should be theirs.

3-7. - You could put these four team's names in a cup shake it around and would be just as likely to pour them out in the correct order as picking them. So here is my opinion in how it will go.

3. Dierks - The Outlaws are to the 7-2A what South Carolina is to the SEC. They are always a good team, but have a hard time competing with the top guns in the conference. Along with a new coach and a different offense comes growing pains. If they can work thru these obstacles and they do not shoot themselves in the foot.   They should give the rest of the conference listed below fits

4. Murfreesboro - Is coming off from a 4-7 season in which 0 of those wins were against an above .500 team. Having the largest student enrollment of all the members of the 7-2A I'm not too sure why the Rattlers cannot put together a successful football program year in and year out. However I do think they will bite a couple of teams and should secure a playoff spot.

5. Foreman - Yes, that is correct I have Foreman in the top 5. They started last year off with a win (which turned out to be the only one of the season) before loosing their Quarterback and leader to a season ending knee injury. With him being back along with a very successful Freshman class moving up I think some teams will be caught off guard and will become gatorbait as they will make a move upwards and finish well above their normal last spot, but having 4 coaches in 4 years is a hard obstacle to overcome.

6. Mineral Springs - A program that saw moderate success the first three years of this decade has fallen on hard times as of late. As us Arkansan's commonly say "thank God for Mississippi" when it comes to National rankings the Hornets have relied on Foreman to keep them from being on the bottom. They should finish the season with at least  two conference victories and could possibly sting a 3rd or even a 4th opponent if things go their way.

7. Spring Hill - The Bears started out last season as hot as anyone clawing out 4 straight wins, but when the competition stiffened they broke and finished the season showing very little fight with a lopsided loss to a less talented Mineral Spring team. Their star running back graduating this Spring isn't gonna help matters at all. As much as L.C. has speed S.H. needs it. I'm afraid it's going to be a long year for the Bears. When will the Askew boys that led them to several play off appearances start reproducing?

8. Mt. Pine - The Red Devils are riding a crippled mule into another conference just to get it handed to them every Friday night. When the mill packed up and left town a few years ago it took the football program with it. I'm sorry Red Devil fans but look to be every team's whipping boy for Homecoming this year.

Sweet-n-Sassy

Well that's an interesting synopsis and has some very valid points!  I can see your reasoning for SH Bears placement (just one spot above the "whipping boy" team) however, I believe anyone expecting SH to limp onto the field will be in for a VERY big surprise.  Last year, Bears didn't fall apart because competition got stiffer.  PC was no lame duck team.  Lack of options on offense is what killed the Bears. We didn't require much scouting to shut down.  Thinking with new head coach and new bag of tricks, along with a few other surprises, we may leave a lot of fields riding out on our pumpkin--like all great Cinderella teams!  We shall see soon enough! 

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: Sweet-n-Sassy on August 11, 2016, 11:24:13 pm
Well that's an interesting synopsis and has some very valid points!  I can see your reasoning for SH Bears placement (just one spot above the "whipping boy" team) however, I believe anyone expecting SH to limp onto the field will be in for a VERY big surprise.  Last year, Bears didn't fall apart because competition got stiffer.  PC was no lame duck team.  Lack of options on offense is what killed the Bears. We didn't require much scouting to shut down.  Thinking with new head coach and new bag of tricks, along with a few other surprises, we may leave a lot of fields riding out on our pumpkin--like all great Cinderella teams!  We shall see soon enough!

I can see the rationale as well.  SH had one offensive threat last season and he graduated.  The new coach will take some time, just as Dierks' situation.  This conference is as wide open as it's been in a while.  Mt Ida may very well win it, but I personally can't see a clear-cut favorite.  Laf Co also has to replace a huge offensive weapon and if it works, it could be really good.  But the flip-side of that could have them down in the 4,5,6 category this season.

stuck in between

Several new coaches in the conference. Spring Hill, Mineral Springs, Dierks, Foreman, and Mt. Pine. I still think it is Ida's to lose and playing Lafayette at home definitely helps. Truth is with as much change as what the conference has saw it is purely speculation by all of us, but that is what keeps us going this time of year, right? Wish all of the teams the best luck and an injury free season. Go Gators !!!

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: stuck in between on August 12, 2016, 11:13:31 am
Several new coaches in the conference. Spring Hill, Mineral Springs, Dierks, Foreman, and Mt. Pine. I still think it is Ida's to lose and playing Lafayette at home definitely helps. Truth is with as much change as what the conference has saw it is purely speculation by all of us, but that is what keeps us going this time of year, right? Wish all of the teams the best luck and an injury free season. Go Gators !!!

I think MS still has same coach, but I could be wrong.

stuck in between

Quote from: KREWSAWHEWSKI on August 12, 2016, 01:06:52 pm
I think MS still has same coach, but I could be wrong.
You are correct. I let my fingers get ahead of myself.  Thanks for the insight.

fleaflicker24

Quote from: Sweet-n-Sassy on August 11, 2016, 11:24:13 pm
[/quote

Definitely gonna be a welcome change! Hope it translates into victories! We shall see.

hog_wild7777777

This conference is very weak this year. I think Mt. Ida will make a good run in the playoffs. Very talented O-line, and very good but young skill players. Should have a defense that will come out, and hit you in the mouth just like all Mt. Ida football teams. Coach White will have these boys ready every Friday night. This will be a fun season. 

Bearden_Bear72

Quote from: unbiased_fan on August 28, 2016, 10:26:09 pm
My week 1 picks are

MT Ida over Centerpoint
Gurdon over Lafayette County
Jessieville over Mt Pine
Spring Hill over Bismarck
Foreman over Genoa Central
Dierks over Horatio
Fouke over Mineral Springs

I agree in all except one.  I think Horatio might pull a win out at Dierks

stuck in between

Quote from: unbiased_fan on August 28, 2016, 10:26:09 pm
My week 1 picks are

MT Ida over Centerpoint
Gurdon over Lafayette County
Jessieville over Mt Pine
Spring Hill over Bismarck
Foreman over Genoa Central
Dierks over Horatio
Fouke over Mineral Springs

Agree with all, but the LC/ Gurdon game. I think both teams are down a little this year with both loosing last year's play makers. Gurdon is hurting this year, Lafayette has the upper hand playing at home.

Pat Swilling

How are the Mule Shoe boys this season?

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Any updates here since scrimmage games are complete?  Or do you guys not put much stock in what you saw in scrimmage games?

I guess Ida will play a pretty good 3A Centerpoint team tonight in Arkadelphia.  Probably won't knock them off the top of the 7-2A hill unless they get blown out......which is highly unlikely.  The others will get seasons kicked off on Friday.

stuck in between

Quote from: KREWSAWHEWSKI on August 29, 2016, 12:01:13 pm
Any updates here since scrimmage games are complete?  Or do you guys not put much stock in what you saw in scrimmage games?

I guess Ida will play a pretty good 3A Centerpoint team tonight in Arkadelphia.  Probably won't knock them off the top of the 7-2A hill unless they get blown out......which is highly unlikely.  The others will get seasons kicked off on Friday.

Foreman played Centerpoint at Centerpoint last Tuesday. Granted it was just a scrimmage which consisted of both teams running 25 offensive plays each and then playing 1-1/2 quarters in a real game situation, but Foreman led up until about 1/2 way through the 4th quarter and the game ended at 28-20 Centerpoint with Foreman driving the ball inside of CP 35 as time expired. I really didn't know what to take from that performance. Either Foreman is better than what I thought they were or CP isn't as good as many think they are. CP did drop a few and at least one of them would've been a TD, and Foreman put the ball on the ground a few times. All and all I thought it was a pretty evenly matched contest. as far as a scrimmage goes.

couch-coach06

I do think foreman will be much improved this year and will shock some teams in conference ... good size and speed in the backfield

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas