• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Twist in things

Started by flawlessthoughts, August 09, 2016, 10:31:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flawlessthoughts

With the addition of Monta Thomas and the rest of the Hermitage transfers who has Hampton as a dark horse to win it all? How will the 8 2A play out and what are their chances?

Randy

Well a good friend of mine whom I know really well, a former coach of many years said that Dixon did it, so can he.

flawlessthoughts

I feel the moves are good for football. It gives the league another competitive team which should make for some great football come playoff time. It sure beats seeing a one man show in Hermitage that's almost guaranteed to end in the first round or a decent Hampton team that's a sure first round exit team without the transfers.

BrianfromCarlisle

Maybe Carlisle, Des Arc, and Hazen can combine players and make a team. Surely no one would cry foul. Lol

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on August 09, 2016, 10:45:29 pm
Maybe Carlisle, Des Arc, and Hazen can combine players and make a team. Surely no one would cry foul. Lol

That wouldn't cause any fuss at all...

flawlessthoughts

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on August 09, 2016, 10:45:29 pm
Hampton, Bearden, Rison & Junction would make a great combo.

Headhunter15

Quote from: flawlessthoughts on August 09, 2016, 11:12:29 pm
Hampton, Bearden, Rison & Junction would make a great combo.

You can't just all of a sudden put Hampton into the same sentence as the other 3 lol hamton better win it all this year while they have a chance because it's back to reality after this season whether folks wanna acknowledge it or not. I think they can and I'll be at some bulldog games but let's not compare SAU to Alabama lol

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Headhunter15 on August 10, 2016, 02:00:40 am
You can't just all of a sudden put Hampton into the same sentence as the other 3 lol hamton better win it all this year while they have a chance because it's back to reality after this season whether folks wanna acknowledge it or not. I think they can and I'll be at some bulldog games but let's not compare SAU to Alabama lol

Can't add j.c. either, they are 3A now.  ;D

If, and that's a HUGE IF, Hampton some how won the state title, they would also be looking for a coach after that too.

stuck in between

There is no doubt the addition of Thomas and others from Hermitage increases Hampton's odds tremendously, but it seems to me that most everyone is jumping the gun to base Hampton's 2016 success on the success that Dixon had at Strong in 2011 without taking into consideration a few other factors.
     Granted, Hampton's Jr. high has achieved a lot recently, but one has to go back to 2003 before you can find a Sr. high season that ends above .500. For Hermitage you have to go back one year further to 2002. So in essence they have combined 2 teams that have been sub .500 for the last decade. I know excitement is high in Calhoun County, but in all honesty like in a lot of other towns loosing has become acceptable. I am not sure if that mentality can be changed in just one season. Success is built upon, one season at a time. The four years leading up to Strong's championship run they compiled 35 wins. It has taken both Hermitage and Hampton combined the past nine season to total that amount of wins.
     As well as trying to overcome the hurdles of jelling as one team rather than playing as two there is still some pretty stiff competition in the 2A-8. With Rison, the state runner-up and CHG, fresh from 3A who feels as though they have one of their better teams in quite sometime and is looking forward to making the best of their two year stint in 2A.
     I agree that Hampton will definitely take a step in the right direction this year. I see a second or third spot in their conference and a play off win, possibly two,  but expecting a championship run this soon after not fielding a team could be a little naïve.
     Indeed it definitely adds a twist and they are team that has to be accounted for rather than the typical W on everyone's schedule this year.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: stuck in between on August 10, 2016, 08:02:49 am
     There is no doubt the addition of Thomas and others from Hermitage increases Hampton's odds tremendously, but it seems to me that most everyone is jumping the gun to base Hampton's 2016 success on the success that Dixon had at Strong in 2011 without taking into consideration a few other factors.
     Granted, Hampton's Jr. high has achieved a lot recently, but one has to go back to 2003 before you can find a Sr. high season that ends above .500. For Hermitage you have to go back one year further to 2002. So in essence they have combined 2 teams that have been sub .500 for the last decade. I know excitement is high in Calhoun County, but in all honesty like in a lot of other towns loosing has become acceptable. I am not sure if that mentality can be changed in just one season. Success is built upon, one season at a time. The four years leading up to Strong's championship run they compiled 35 wins. It has taken both Hermitage and Hampton combined the past nine season to total that amount of wins.
     As well as trying to overcome the hurdles of jelling as one team rather than playing as two there is still some pretty stiff competition in the 2A-8. With Rison, the state runner-up and CHG, fresh from 3A who feels as though they have one of their better teams in quite sometime and is looking forward to making the best of their two year stint in 2A.
     I agree that Hampton will definitely take a step in the right direction this year. I see a second or third spot in their conference and a play off win, possibly two,  but expecting a championship run this soon after not fielding a team could be a little naïve.
     Indeed it definitely adds a twist and they are team that has to be accounted for rather than the typical W on everyone's schedule this year.

Very true post  +1

flawlessthoughts

You pointed out a lot of facts but I don't think the past records of both teams has anything to do with this team. Hamptons Jr High went undefeated last season so they were the best team in 8 2A last year. Their high school failed to field a team last season but there was a few kids walking the halls with good high school talent. Adding Monta who's "the best offensive player in 2A ball" and the rest of the transfers to a grity, talented & physically strong team run by Wes Ables should bring about something special. Keep in mind we are talking about 2A ball. In this league a decent team with the addition of a great player usually equals championship. Sure we all know how good Monta has been but what we don't know is how good he can be. We've yet to see him play with players that are coached and want to win. Defense wins championships and I'm sure this team will be a good defensive team. I'm also positive Monta & the Hampton offense will score a lot of points.

stuck in between

Quote from: flawlessthoughts on August 10, 2016, 10:53:33 am
You pointed out a lot of facts but I don't think the past records of both teams has anything to do with this team. Hamptons Jr High went undefeated last season so they were the best team in 8 2A last year. Their high school failed to field a team last season but there was a few kids walking the halls with good high school talent. Adding Monta who's "the best offensive player in 2A ball" and the rest of the transfers to a grity, talented & physically strong team run by Wes Ables should bring about something special. Keep in mind we are talking about 2A ball. In this league a decent team with the addition of a great player usually equals championship. Sure we all know how good Monta has been but what we don't know is how good he can be. We've yet to see him play with players that are coached and want to win. Defense wins championships and I'm sure this team will be a good defensive team. I'm also positive Monta & the Hampton offense will score a lot of points.

There is no doubt that Hampton will be a better team than in years past and in no way was I trying to down play that. The point I was trying to make is seldom does a team go from near the bottom to sitting on the top in one season. In 2-A ball tradition plays a huge part in winning ball games. Rison beats 80% of their opponents before taking the field because the other team has already accepted the fact that they are supposed to loose. That mentality normally does not change over night, perhaps in Hampton's case it will. We will not know until they get hit in the mouth a couple of times and we see how they react.
    One thing to keep in mind, that although the Jr. high did go undefeated last year and won conference. Another team did the same thing in Sr. high and if I'm not mistaken Harmony Grove won their 3-A conference in Jr. high as well.
    There are two proven teams in conference play this year that Hampton will have to get by and very well could, but in my opinion beating both isn't likely. Good luck to you guys. It's always good to see fans that are passionate towards their program especially one that has been down a little while and has an opportunity to revive itself.

Randy

I can understand that, but when you have a player like a Dixon, or Monta they are infectious to others on the team...I could not believe Dixon would have taken Strong to the top. But, the mediocre players will be motivated to do more. Just my take.

flawlessthoughts

Quote from: Randy on August 10, 2016, 11:41:43 am
I can understand that, but when you have a player like a Dixon, or Monta they are infectious to others on the team...I could not believe Dixon would have taken Strong to the top. But, the mediocre players will be motivated to do more. Just my take.
My point

Lionbro20

I respect monta and speak highly of him all the time.. But to say he's equal or can do what Dixon did.. That's a very big shoes to fill and I don't think it's possible IMO

flawlessthoughts

Quote from: Lionbro20 on August 10, 2016, 01:26:40 pm
I respect monta and speak highly of him all the time.. But to say he's equal or can do what Dixon did.. That's a very big shoes to fill and I don't think it's possible IMO
Tune in.. Don't be surprised when he does.

Dr. Defense

The addition will obviously make Hampton better but I think to say they will win state is ridiculous.....They won a JR HIGH conference title and remember this they practiced Jr. High like everyone else practices Sr. High which gave them a huge advantage. I do not think they will be able to beat Rison but time will tell.

Headhunter15

8 2A might be like the sec west this year lol Bearden CHG rison And Hampton. Yep I said it. Them dogs on a mission. When your 1-4 can play with anybody then that's something not to take lightly.

BrianfromCarlisle

I don't think he has near the strength of KD.  He can burn and has moves for sure.  But until he manhandles a team like KD did Carlisle at War Memorial, comparisons are unfair at best.  And that Carlisle team was VERY good. 

STUNNA

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on August 10, 2016, 03:44:55 pm
I don't think he has near the strength of KD.  He can burn and has moves for sure.  But until he manhandles a team like KD did Carlisle at War Memorial, comparisons are unfair at best.  And that Carlisle team was VERY good.

for what he has had as a team through his high school career... he has done a pretty good job at man handling everyone he has played against...lol

BrianfromCarlisle

Not even remotely close to KD.  And that shouldn't be considered a knock on him. I mean you are trying to compare him to Kenneth Dixon. You should let him play this year and then you have something to compare.  I just don't see him running over and through at least 10 tackles  on one play because he absolutely has to. Dixon did. I saw it. I stood and applauded what may have been the single greatest run I have ever witnessed in high school.
And I promise you they weren't all bad attempts. He ran flat over some guys.
Thomas is fantastic no doubt. But you are unfairly comparing him to a different style of back.

Lionbro20

He has done great but you can't compare him to a train, you could barely one on one KD head up not having to account for his quick jukes monta isn't one that can run thru a I'm a racist! defender at will

Dr. Defense

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on August 10, 2016, 06:00:09 pm
Not even remotely close to KD.  And that shouldn't be considered a knock on him. I mean you are trying to compare him to Kenneth Dixon. You should let him play this year and then you have something to compare.  I just don't see him running over and through at least 10 tackles  on one play because he absolutely has to. Dixon did. I saw it. I stood and applauded what may have been the single greatest run I have ever witnessed in high school.
And I promise you they weren't all bad attempts. He ran flat over some guys.
Thomas is fantastic no doubt. But you are unfairly comparing him to a different style of back.
i will say this about Monta....he didnt exactly have the pieces around him at Hermitage that Dixon did at Strong.....people always say Dixon was a one man show but remember this, the sophomores that were on the team when Dixon was a senior went to the quarterfinals when they were seniors they were a good team....all that to say Monta's production should rise this year given that he will be surrounded by more talent at hampton

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Dr. Defense on August 10, 2016, 06:15:47 pm
i will say this about Monta....he didnt exactly have the pieces around him at Hermitage that Dixon did at Strong.....people always say Dixon was a one man show but remember this, the sophomores that were on the team when Dixon was a senior went to the quarterfinals when they were seniors they were a good team....all that to say Monta's production should rise this year given that he will be surrounded by more talent at hampton

Dont crucify me for that Dixon was a stud and I am not saying Monta is on his level....only saying we will see how he compares this season

Cheek

Monte is on his level with size speed and strength.  If you will recall, the year Strong win,  Dicon had some help with a big offensive and defensive line.  They also had some other quality skilled players.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Cheek on August 10, 2016, 06:19:57 pm
Monte is on his level with size speed and strength.  If you will recall, the year Strong win,  Dicon had some help with a big offensive and defensive line.  They also had some other quality skilled players.

Their lines were absolute monsters.....at least one of them is playing D-1 ball now that I know of.....Thomas is a very special talent no doubt

BrianfromCarlisle

Carlisle was blowing that line up. But it didn't matter.  He just ran over everybody. Lol.

http://youtu.be/VmjWF_3jYT0

Dr. Defense

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on August 10, 2016, 06:23:21 pm
Carlisle was blowing that line up. But it didn't matter.  He just ran over everybody. Lol.

http://youtu.be/VmjWF_3jYT0

I watched it....he ran over EVERYONE during that playoff run

BrianfromCarlisle

Lionbro20

If I remember Dixon and strong came out in the shotgun with the back to the left of Dixon and I told Brian sweep left TD for Dixon and Brian was like no way and I said watch as he scampered for 70 yards on the first play from scrimmage

Lions84

Dixon was a Man amongst boys  He just too the game over like Michael Jordan did at times

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Lions84 on August 10, 2016, 07:06:48 pm
Dixon was a Man amongst boys  He just too the game over like Michael Jordan did at times

A rare talent indeed

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Dr. Defense on August 10, 2016, 06:15:47 pm

That team you say was good that went to the quarterfinals,  was not good. They lost to every good team they played that year. Des arc was the team that beat them and it was a mercy rule.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 10, 2016, 08:32:55 pm
That team you say was good that went to the quarterfinals,  was not good. They lost to every good team they played that year. Des arc was the team that beat them and it was a mercy rule.

That doesn't stop them from being good Pick....just because the unstoppable Eagles beat them doesn't make them bad.....just means you guys had a salty team that year

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Dr. Defense on August 10, 2016, 08:36:26 pm
That doesn't stop them from being good Pick....just because the unstoppable Eagles beat them doesn't make them bad.....just means you guys had a salty team that year

Also unless I'm mistaken that's the same year they were the 4 or 5 seed in the 8 (number 1 and 2 in that conference played for it all) and they beat yalls conference champ (Hazen) in the first round

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Dr. Defense on August 10, 2016, 08:46:38 pm
Also unless I'm mistaken that's the same year they were the 4 or 5 seed in the 8 (number 1 and 2 in that conference played for it all) and they beat yalls conference champ (Hazen) in the first round

They beat hazen between the title year and the quarterfinal year.

I wasn't just talking about them losing to D.A., they lost to EVERY good team they played (j.c., Smackover, rison, Bearden and des arc)

Dr. Defense

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 10, 2016, 09:10:16 pm
They beat hazen between the title year and the quarterfinal year.

I wasn't just talking about them losing to D.A., they lost to EVERY good team they played (j.c., Smackover, rison, Bearden and des arc)

I understand what you're saying......my point is there was some talent on that team that helped Dixon out

Lionbro20

Not stand out talent, their line was just big, they gave him 1-2 seconds KD would have to break 3 tackles behind the line of scrimmage

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Lionbro20 on August 10, 2016, 09:19:50 pm
Not stand out talent, their line was just big, they gave him 1-2 seconds KD would have to break 3 tackles behind the line of scrimmage
Yes the line was huge

Randy

Quote from: Lionbro20 on August 10, 2016, 01:26:40 pm

He may do it, dont bet against it.

STUNNA

Dixon is a D1 running back.... Monta is a D1 athlete... hard to just compare them at  running back. Monta steps on the field 98% of the time and he is the best player at every skill position every night. What he has accomplished at Hermitage is insane. I just cant help but think of the offers he would already have if he made a smart move his freshman season.

Randy

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 10, 2016, 06:41:55 am
Can't add j.c. either, they are 3A now.  ;D

If, and that's a HUGE IF, Hampton some how won the state title, they would also be looking for a coach after that too.

Its not that  much that separates the best from the worst in 2a, v. other classifications, I think they will be at least a semi-finalist.. I don't know about the coaching, all they have to do is stay on the road, not ditch it..
I think the kid is just that good myself Mr. Eagle.

flawlessthoughts

Quote from: STUNNA on August 11, 2016, 08:25:26 am
Dixon is a D1 running back.... Monta is a D1 athlete... hard to just compare them at  running back. Monta steps on the field 98% of the time and he is the best player at every skill position every night. What he has accomplished at Hermitage is insane. I just cant help but think of the offers he would already have if he made a smart move his freshman season.
Monta is the best high school athlete I've witnessed with my own two and I had the pleasures off watching DMac, J Wright, G Child's, J Adams & Michael Dyer play high school ball. If he had played with a team that didn't depend on him so much for special teams, offensively & defensively he would be talked about as one of the best players to ever play high school ball in the state of Arkansas. The kid is that good. This season he will be playing with a team that won't depend on him scoring every touchdown and making every tackle to win. Should be interesting.

mtindian42

This guy is good... I thought he should of went to warren to play... But they probley have 10 Thomas on that team. So he went where he could be the man. Good luck to him. Still should of went and let bo coach him...jmo

STUNNA

Quote from: mtindian42 on August 11, 2016, 11:18:40 am
This guy is good... I thought he should of went to warren to play... But they probley have 10 Thomas on that team. So he went where he could be the man. Good luck to him. Still should of went and let bo coach him...jmo

bingo

flawlessthoughts

Quote from: mtindian42 on August 11, 2016, 11:18:40 am
Not true.. If this was true they would have 10 guys being recruited by D1 schools.

STUNNA

Quote from: flawlessthoughts on August 11, 2016, 02:03:47 pm
Not true.. If this was true they would have 10 guys being recruited by D1 schools.

Warren has kids that would do the same thing against 2a competition...lol

Lionbro20

Dixon was a D1 athlete also. He just fit way better a rb.. Dixon played every position he played excellent, thus why he's a great runner reciever and pass blocker... And continues to impress the NFL coaches

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: STUNNA on August 11, 2016, 03:10:41 pm
Warren has kids that would do the same thing against 2a competition...lol
plenty of kids

BigLion10

Quote from: flawlessthoughts on August 11, 2016, 09:18:41 am
Monta is the best high school athlete I've witnessed with my own two and I had the pleasures off watching DMac, J Wright, G Child's, J Adams & Michael Dyer play high school ball. If he had played with a team that didn't depend on him so much for special teams, offensively & defensively he would be talked about as one of the best players to ever play high school ball in the state of Arkansas. The kid is that good. This season he will be playing with a team that won't depend on him scoring every touchdown and making every tackle to win. Should be interesting.
Monta is a great player no doubt and will do great things in his future but McFadden and Dyer on levels by themselves out of that group you just named they were absolute monsters on the gridiron

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas