• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Decatur Head Count

Started by Brian G, August 03, 2016, 07:28:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Media reports they have just 8 players out for football.

beach bum

August 03, 2016, 07:31:34 pm #1 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:37:34 pm by beach bum
That is really sad, but does not surprise me coming from Decatur. I hope they can get another 7 or 8 to come once school starts. You would think they would realistically need 15 or 16 bodies to navigate a season. That is going to throw a wrench in the 4-2A teams even more if they don't field a team because Union Christian bailed after they had committed to the 2016-2018 classification cycle which put them on the schedule for the other teams. Now, Decatur may make it 2 weeks that teams will lose out on. The last time I drove through that town I was amazed thinking in my mind how the town has the feel of being so isolated and back in time, but is only 11 miles from Centerton/Bentonville.

Brian G

AD says they need 20.  That seems pretty tough.

Brian G

Quote from: beach bum on August 03, 2016, 07:31:34 pm
The last time I drove through that town I was amazed thinking in my mind how the town has the feel of being so isolated and back in time, but is only 11 miles from Centerton/Bentonville.

Gentry and Gravette on each side of them.  Each growing.

x14113

Quote from: beach bum on August 03, 2016, 07:31:34 pm
...I was amazed thinking in my mind how the town has the feel of being so isolated and back in time...

That effect isn't just visual--it's social, too.

For instance, check out the old 1AA FB conference that was around during my last year in high school.

Cedarville (3A)
Decatur
Elkins (3A)
Greenland (3A)
Mountainburg
Pea Ridge (4A)
Shiloh (4A)

As you can see, five of those seven schools are now in a higher class, with only the Dragons remaining for company.

Even worse, a scan through the ADMs for previous cycles will reveal that Decatur's enrollment has been stagnant for the last decade and a half, even as neighboring schools continue growing.

Will NWA's perpetual boom ever reach this neck of the woods?

Hornet4ever

Hm.... This is odd. Decatur has always had a tough time with success, but has usually had enough numbers. (22-23) at the most. This would be no good for the 4-2A. After losing UCA it will just put another nock in the conference.

purpleswag

How many more of these teams do we need to see struggle to field teams before the AAA will institute an 8 man league?

There are plenty of teams to make it workable and we might see some 1A schools pick up football

stuck in between

Quote from: purpleswag on August 04, 2016, 06:26:50 am
How many more of these teams do we need to see struggle to field teams before the AAA will institute an 8 man league?

There are plenty of teams to make it workable and we might see some 1A schools pick up football

+1

HorseFeathers

Quote from: purpleswag on August 04, 2016, 06:26:50 am

have any schools actually shown interest?

Brian G

The proximity of the schools is the problem. In this case, who would Decatur play?  FS Christian is the only possibility within miles.

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on August 04, 2016, 05:53:46 pm
The proximity of the schools is the problem. In this case, who would Decatur play?  FS Christian is the only possibility within miles.

That is what goes on in Oklahoma and you hit a good point there. From my understanding is they have four conferences in 8 man football and they travel pretty far for conference games. I went to college with a couple guys that had played 8 man football in high school and I remember them saying they traveled far for games. That isn't a big deal to bigger schools, but could cause problems for the smallest schools.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 04, 2016, 06:23:53 pm
That is what goes on in Oklahoma and you hit a good point there. From my understanding is they have four conferences in 8 man football and they travel pretty far for conference games. I went to college with a couple guys that had played 8 man football in high school and I remember them saying they traveled far for games. That isn't a big deal to bigger schools, but could cause problems for the smallest schools.

Decatur was already traveling 3 hours to play football in conference games with Hector.

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 04, 2016, 06:36:25 pm
Decatur was already traveling 3 hours to play football in conference games with Hector.

That is very true. Them being the only 2A school tucked in the NWA area hurts them too. Mountainburg is even 1.5 hours on a bus and that is their closest opponent.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 04, 2016, 07:18:47 pm
That is very true. Them being the only 2A school tucked in the NWA area hurts them too. Mountainburg is even 1.5 hours on a bus and that is their closest opponent.

Basketball conference is only slightly better with the trip to eureka springs being 1 hr  15 minutes....

I've always wondered why Decatur hasn't been touched by the NWA explosion

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: B.G. on August 03, 2016, 07:48:31 pm
AD says they need 20.  That seems pretty tough.

Doesn't make sense.  You can put together a viable team with as few as 16 if they are dedicated and self disciplined

the green moose

For 8 man football, you'd wanna look for schools like Alpena, Kingston, and St. Paul to step up and join. Which could be very realistic if the AAA supported the idea. Isn't there some sort of liberal arts school in Genry? Maybe find 8-10 guys there who would wanna play.

sevenof400

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 04, 2016, 04:59:41 pm
have any schools actually shown interest?

It would be hard to show interest until the AAA steps forward in an official capacity to judge the interest in 8 man football.  This is where AAA could show some leadership on an issue for a change.

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 07, 2016, 07:36:21 am
It would be hard to show interest until the AAA steps forward in an official capacity to judge the interest in 8 man football.  This is where AAA could show some leadership on an issue for a change.

Exactly - would cost little money and involve little time to survey membership on adding 8 man football.  Hope they make an effort to do so, regardless of outcome.

purpleswag

Quote from: B.G. on August 04, 2016, 05:53:46 pm

I think this is where the 1a schools come into the equation.

Brian G

I don't necessarily disagree but I don't put it on the AAA to create what essentially is a new sport(for them).  It's got to originate from member schools.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: B.G. on August 07, 2016, 11:42:57 am
I don't necessarily disagree but I don't put it on the AAA to create what essentially is a new sport(for them).  It's got to originate from member schools.

I dont think many understand this....soccer started out as a sort of school sponsored club sport in the early to mid 90's....and look where it's at now..

Brian G

Heard they had 21 now and expecting to get to 23.

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on August 15, 2016, 05:12:05 pm
Heard they had 21 now and expecting to get to 23.

That is great news for the rest of the 4-2A. That would have been awful having to miss another potential week of play for the other seven schools. Kudos to those 21 and hopefully 23 kids at Decatur who are going to keep the season alive it looks like.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas