• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playing games after season is over?

Started by QPWFB, June 15, 2011, 03:50:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

QPWFB

I read in the local paper this week that two area high school baseball teams got together and played a baseball game. Now what I'm wondering is, can they do this? I mean isn't the season over, district, regional and state has all passed. School is not even in right now? The paper called it "an extended baseball season". If you can do this in baseball can it be done in other sports?

True Fan

From the AAA handbook,

Article II, Section 8, Rule 5;

D. The AAA takes NO JURISDICTION over the following events.
1. Events that are not sanctioned and occur during the summer or extended holiday period for individuals or groups that are school sponsored that do not adversely affect the eligibility of involved students.

It's no different than 7 on 7, or team camps.

QPWFB

I understand about camps and 7 on 7. This was a game, it would be like if two high school football teams got together this Friday night, full pads , full uniforms, band playing, fans in the stands and played each other.
    To me it just seemed odd that teams would be allowed to play a real high school baseball game after the season has ended?

Busman

AAA rules for seasons are pretty plain - once you are eliminated from further playoff or state tournament advancement, your season is over.  I would suspect, while the organizers may have called it two high school teams playing, it actually was not sanctioned by either high school.

True Fan

It's just summer ball. If you have a coach willing to do it on their own time, it will make a team better.

QPWFB

I wasn't there, I just read the paper. I do know the article was about a high school baseball game featuring Greers Ferry Westside against Conway Christain High school at GFWS baseball field and they were wearing there school uniforms. The game was played Tuesday June 7th and they played a varsity and a jv game. Maybe their coaches weren't there, maybe it wasn't school sanctioned, IDK?
   My point is, if it's ok to do this, then why isn't it done in other sports? Can we have football games in late December? I'm not trying to cause trouble for the two schools involved, I just never heard of two high school teams being able to play a AAA sanctioned sport after the season was over? http://www.thesuntimes.com/sports/x1725642161/Conway-Christian-rips-West-Side

Valleysports

June 16, 2011, 10:31:41 am #6 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:25:43 pm by Valleysports
Yes the extended season actually has games schedule and etc... Gives next years teams a chance to play before season starts - would be too cold to try this in January.  Football does the 7 on 7 and team camps, in the same manner.  Softball does it some also - but girls might not show.  :D

QPWFB

Ok thanks, I had never heard of" extended season" for high school sports. Thank you.

blue4hire

Quote from: QPWFB on June 16, 2011, 12:24:32 pm
Ok thanks, I had never heard of" extended season" for high school sports. Thank you.
It's the straw that is currently breaking American Legion's back.

ricepig

Lots of high schools do it, they usually register as USSSA teams and play other extended high school teams or travel/showcase teams. I've not seen a team use it's school uniforms, but I guess it's possible. Catholic and Benton call themselves the Arknasas Rockets and Panthers, while Conway and Jonesboro are the Rockies and Jackals. You can actually start right after your season ends as long as you do not use your high school coaches. Jonesboro hires young men out of college who played ball and want to get their foot in the door in coaching. The same principal is used on the area legion teams to a degree.

4.1forty

So u can't use your hs coach to coach your hs extended team?...wudnt u b missing a key component?

Brian G

Fearless Friday Handbook

Page 4 Sections IV Paragraph 1 Line 2:

Do not talk on this forum in textspeak

ricepig

Yes, you can use your high school coach. But you can't play before school ends, and he can't coach during dead period. At Jonesboro, the baseball coach acts like the GM, moving kids from the 16 year old team(JV) to the 17 year old team(Varsity). He also let's the hired coaches know his preferences on players and their positions, who to pitch, and where to bat them. He'll attend most of the games, but it let's him have some family time too.

Busman

There is a new move to bring AAU football to Arkansas See Sports 360 this month).  Will be interesting to see how that works out!

Brian G

There is already a thread on it discussing this very topic in the MMQB forum.

ricefarmer

what is AAU fb?  or how will it work and when?  just curious

Kezac51

Looks like the 2 coaches found one of the loopholes.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas