• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball 2017-2018

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 27, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldoghistorian

Had a chance to get a double bye in the conference tournament, but didn't get it done at Mizzou the other night! Hopefully we've got a postseason run in us!!

cuckoobird

Guys this is as good as we will ever be under Anderson.

beach bum

Dustin Thomas kicked off the team.... He couldn't even make it three more weeks. You really worry about a guy like that's future in life past basketball. I hope this is something he can correct moving forward in life after basketball.

bdubyab60

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 05, 2018, 09:03:34 pm
But we have made the tourney 3 out of 4 years now

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on March 05, 2018, 09:53:36 pm
Dustin Thomas kicked off the team.... He couldn't even make it three more weeks. You really worry about a guy like that's future in life past basketball. I hope this is something he can correct moving forward in life after basketball.
Addition by subtraction

beach bum

March 06, 2018, 10:55:36 am #355 Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:58:21 am by beach bum
It is being revealed in early February Thomas was issued a citation by Fayetteville PD for possessing a small amount of marijuana... I imagine had this been his first occurrence of discipline issues he would still be on the team with a slap on the wrist. This is an impact of being in the dog house ever since the Beard/Jacorey Williams deal when he was with them. It appears Beard out of those 3 guys is the only one who will make it through the program. Cook went through a similar situation and seems to have barely made it out of that. I respect that about MA. He will give guys second chances, but they get put on a tight leash. I think we can all say this instance alone for Thomas isn't that big of a deal. However, the guy has to be smarter than that when on his final straw. I hear guys talk about the NFL combine drug test. Really, when they fail a drug test its not a big deal. What that really amounts to is an intelligence test because you know the test is coming and still fail or it is a red flag for bigger substance issues cause you can't put it down for your most important moment in your life up to that point. Thomas literally couldn't wait until April and he would be free to do as he pleased moving forward after that.

bulldoghistorian

We get South Carolina in our 1st game in the SEC tournament tomorrow night at 8:00.

bulldoghistorian

Get a shot at Florida tomorrow night!

bdubyab60

Glad Barford made a couple big plays down the stretch. That one was getting scary

sportsguy80

Free throws!!! There would have been a big chance of losing this game if we didn't shoot that well. Amazing how we find ways to win and lose. I've noticed that we beat ourselves in almost all our losses rather than teams flat out dominating us. Makes you wonder how many more wins we would have if we were more consistent. Nevertheless big win over a tough SC team in a very competitive tournament.

WPWells

Barford's 25-footer was awesome.

AirWarren

Quote from: WPWells on March 09, 2018, 08:17:11 am
Barford's 25-footer was awesome.

Sure was. South Carolina has been a scrappy team all year.

Redwolves8526

Why does their offense get so stagnet with towards the end of the game? Those big shots from Barford saved the Hogs. I thought they played a decent game, but goodness why all the iso towards the end of the shot clock with 5 mins left to go?

AirWarren

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on March 09, 2018, 09:35:26 am
Why does their offense get so stagnet with towards the end of the game? Those big shots from Barford saved the Hogs. I thought they played a decent game, but goodness why all the iso towards the end of the shot clock with 5 mins left to go?

They get comfortable and complacent too early.

sportsguy80

Quote from: AirWarren on March 09, 2018, 10:14:49 am
They get comfortable and complacent too early.
One of the announcers made a good point about us standing around when Gafford is in the game. When we get more movement it frees up him or makes a one on one matchup. Hopefully we can play better since the first game is under our belt but Florida is gonna be another tough task.

sportsguy80

Another huge win. Next up the vols...

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: sportsguy80 on March 09, 2018, 11:15:11 pm
Another huge win. Next up the vols...
First win over Florida since 2013! WPS!!!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: cuckoobird on March 05, 2018, 09:03:34 pm
how do you even know? Lol what a dummy

bdubyab60

Good to get that IF monkey of our back

WPWells

Just bought tickets to today's game! Wooo Pig!

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on March 10, 2018, 08:47:20 am
Just bought tickets to today's game! Wooo Pig!

Have fun!!!! ... I have every other weekend off and am not free today or I'd be headed up there. I can only hope we end up in Wichita or Dallas next week so I can go. Nashville would be nice for you next weekend if we go there.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 10, 2018, 08:19:36 am
Good to get that IF monkey of our back

Florida had definitely owned us. We finally stopped their penetration game and they looked lost without the drive and dish game for them. That was awesome to see us totally get a team out of sorts offensively like we did to Florida.

beach bum

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 09, 2018, 11:59:38 pm

I don't know why anybody would be all over MA at all like he is. It's so much harder in basketball than football to be a top 25 level program simply off numbers and dynamics of programs. It's easier for mid majors to be better in basketball year after year and there are 350 Division I basketball programs to about 130 in football. Hence, why I say top 25 in basketball means more than football. MA has had us there 3 of the last 4 years. I don't think people remember we had like half the team ineligible when he got here lol. And some selfish as crap players he dumped. MA has character too.... It'l be a sad day if he ever does fail cause there is so much to like about him.

cuckoobird

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 09, 2018, 11:59:38 pm
I bet you wish they would have played all year like they did against Florida. That's the biggest sign of a good coach, consistency. It's been 7 years and we are still jekyl and hide. Most of you guys don't remember what it was like to be a winning program but I still do. Anderson is mediocre at best just like bert was.

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: beach bum on March 10, 2018, 10:27:10 am
Florida had definitely owned us. We finally stopped their penetration game and they looked lost without the drive and dish game for them. That was awesome to see us totally get a team out of sorts offensively like we did to Florida.
Hope we can do the same today against the Vols, and tomorrow against UK!!!

bulldoghistorian

I'm afraid this one could get ugly! :( the Vols can't miss!

cuckoobird

bdubyab60

DerekOxford

6 seed. Give us Dallas or Wichita.

sportsguy80

Wow a 7 seed in Detroit while Florida gets a 6 seed at Dallas in the same bracket...

bdubyab60

About where we all figured a 6 or a 7.

Go play and win no excuses.

sportsguy80

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 11, 2018, 06:09:33 pm
About where we all figured a 6 or a 7.

Go play and win no excuses.
There's always an excuse whether we like or not. I just love how they just about made all the SEC teams travel the furthest. Last year's success ruffled some feathers I supposed.

bdubyab60

Quote from: sportsguy80 on March 11, 2018, 06:23:24 pm
There's always an excuse whether we like or not. I just love how they just about made all the SEC teams travel the furthest. Last year's success ruffled some feathers I supposed.
Like I said. Go play go win. No excuses. Dont wanna here about bad draws. Folks should be saying that about us.

People are actually liking that we lost yesterday. Helps us rest for the tourney, really. When does the tourney start. I'm sure if we had played and won today we would have plenty of rest and possibly a better seed.

Sweet 16 is  my minimum expectations.

beach bum

A lot of my friends are complaining and I have no idea why.... We are in BY FAR THE EASIEST REGION. Don't get me wrong the locations of the games are not ideal but look at the other regions. I am so glad we didn't draw some of the other 1-3 seeds in the other regions. If Gafford stays out of foul trouble we'll do just fine.

beach bum

WPWells are you going to Detroit? I know you have said your better half is from Michigan and thought maybe you would make a trip out of us landing in Detroit.

beach bum

If we can make it to the Final 4 by a miracle I will be buying tickets as a 30th birthday present to myself since it will be on my birthday.... Go Hogs  8)

sportsguy80

I like our chances. We just have to stick to what got us here. I wanted to make a Dallas or Wichita trip but I'll take playing any day first than being able to attend.

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on March 11, 2018, 09:03:02 pm
WPWells are you going to Detroit? I know you have said your better half is from Michigan and thought maybe you would make a trip out of us landing in Detroit.

Probably not this time around. I think this weekend was enough basketball for her plus the whole time off thing.

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on March 11, 2018, 09:34:15 pm
Probably not this time around. I think this weekend was enough basketball for her plus the whole time off thing.

I definitely understand... I'll have to get real clever with time off from work if I want to go see us play the coming weeks.

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on March 11, 2018, 09:17:50 pm
I like our chances. We just have to stick to what got us here. I wanted to make a Dallas or Wichita trip but I'll take playing any day first than being able to attend.

Whoever we lose to I don't want it to be because we didn't play well. If we lose I want to know they gave it all they had. I am sure these seniors want to deliver a sweet 16 at least.

bleudog

thebigman3

If Arkansas can get past Butler.. I think we can take down Purdue. Their almost known for getting beat early and I would love to be the team that did it.

cuckoobird

Cabotfan

WPWells

Fought back from down 21-2 early. Now within 1. I love this fight!

sportsguy80

Doesn't look good. Might be the first SEC team to go down...

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: sportsguy80 on March 16, 2018, 03:50:08 pm
Doesn't look good. Might be the first SEC team to go down...
No it doesn't! Embarrassing if that happens, and especially if we're only one to lose in the 1st round!

sportsguy80

March 16, 2018, 04:27:13 pm #397 Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:40:07 pm by sportsguy80
Quote from: bulldoghistorian on March 16, 2018, 04:05:16 pm
No it doesn't! Embarrassing if that happens, and especially if we're only one to lose in the 1st round!
Yup. It's really hard to win when you start out down 21-2. Inconsistency has been our theme all year. We would have played a short handed Purdue team on Sunday. Oh well on to next year.

AirWarren

Booo.

We ought to be shamed.

Gafford. Not ready. Period. He was a zero factor.

cuckoobird

Sad thing is, this is the best we'll be under Anderson

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas