• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

has football changed

Started by The_Preacher, February 16, 2007, 03:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Preacher

in your opinion, has football become more exciting or les than it was 15 years ago when the score would  hardly ever  be more than 28-????? Has the way it has become a more west coast spread. made the game  an offenive over defensive style. I like the way it is now  but do miss three plays and a cloud of dust  players  going both ways and that syle  ball

True Fan

February 16, 2007, 03:22:49 pm #1 Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:51:12 pm by True Fan
IMO, I think high school has become more of a game of the haves v the have not's. Whenever we have 2 evenly matched teams, there seems to be the lower scores and styles of old. Even with 2 high powered offences, the defence often shines in those games. Now we just see so many blowouts from teams who don't match up well. Different schools have different priorities. Some schools just have that much better talent. I want to watch a game where I don't know who is going to win. I prefer my team, but great games can go either way. I prefer the 3 yards and cloud of dust myself.

The_Preacher

so the game is the same or has it changed

True Fan

It has changed. You know it's different. With the media and internet, we have access to so much more. Sportscenter has given us all the highlights. Big plays are what the fans want. The rules have changed to game to promote more scoring. The defense has really had to improve to keep up.  Change is inevitable.

iamthemustangman

nah it ain changd nun cac still tha best

Real World

February 17, 2007, 08:22:08 am #5 Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:35:27 am by Tony Soprano
Quote from: iamthemustangman on February 17, 2007, 12:47:45 am
nah it ain changd nun cac still tha best
Wow is this some type of code?

It has changed! When has there ever been a 2-year long squabble over a multiplier? There are probably more teams now running some form of the spread than there were 2- years ago as well but yet some fear change and refuse too. Take my team (Booneville) for the last twenty years we have been one of the best teams in the state but what does our future hold if we can't change and adopt some of the spread ourselves? I feel we could be left behind

mudslog

Whatever happened to real football when you played in the dirt and mud?  Now, it is everyone's goal to get turf.  Next thing you know we will be playing with flags around our belts.   

Super Scrapper

Quote from: mudslog on February 17, 2007, 11:17:33 am
Whatever happened to real football when you played in the dirt and mud?  Now, it is everyone's goal to get turf.  Next thing you know we will be playing with flags around our belts.  

Read the post above yours...They still have what you call "Real Football" in Booneville!  Ask Tony...  He told us his opinion of it as well.....SS

Go Scrappers
;D

RD™

Maybe because, turf is a more cost efficient way of maintaining football fields. Schools like Greenwood will have at the most 5 School involved Football games in one week + 5 PitBull Non-School involved Football games, that's 10 games in one week. On a grassy field, in wet conditions, the field will be destroyed. Real football is still played on turf, in 15 years or so, I can see it being a mandate to have turf.

panthers_07

Some teams are use to playing the old style football. The old style will win some games but to unleash the full potential of ur teams' talent, some teams need to run the spread. Take Newport for example. They have probably the most talented group of backs and recievers in the state, but run the ball 80% of the time. If they play a good enough run defense to stop their run, you've pretty much shut down everything they do. They have to rely on 1 or 2 man routes which u can put 2 people on one guy and there is nothing at all they can do. The spread is becoming the norm in high school football.

RisonRacingFan

The game has changed,the players have changed,the coaches have changed,the fans have changed and the school boards have changed.

What I mean by that is this.

you have players who dont want to put out the effort it takes to win.You have coaches who are afraid to sit the boys who wont work on the bench because they are afraid it will tick a mommy or a daddy off and you have fans that think they know how everything should be ran.

I talked to a coach last season who said he couldn't get his kids to come to practice because they would get momma to call and say they had to babysit,but come game time they expected to play,or the school board stepped in and made the coach play them.

What happened to the day when if you didn't produce on the practice field then you didn't play on Friday night?What happened to you did good and showed guts and determination while on the scout team,so coach rewarded you with some game time or even a start?

It has gone away because coaches and school boards are afraid of offending a parent and the fans who think they know what is best for the team when in all reality they wouldn't know there were 4 quarters in a game unless they were told so by someone in the stands.

True Fan

Brutal honesty. I love it. +1

The_Preacher

RisonRacingFan

Thanks guys.Just calling it as I see it.

transplant

Programs like RT describes end up playing basketball during the playoffs.  I can assure you that what RT describes is not true everywhere.

I think the game is better.  With the addition of spring practice and 7 on 7 the quality of the game has improved.  There are still some dinosaur programs running around acting like they can keep doing it the same way they did 30 years ago but they are on the decline.  I believe coaching has improved, practice (both in the additional number of days and efficiency) has improved, weight training has improved and the players have improved.  10 - 15 years ago Arkansas had a terrible reputation for the quality of play.  That has changed.

Sensitive

"Three yards and a cloud of dust" results in "three and out" in most instances.

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: KILLER (aka...transplant) on February 17, 2007, 07:31:37 pm
Programs like RT describes end up playing basketball during the playoffs.  I can assure you that what RT describes is not true everywhere.

I think the game is better.  With the addition of spring practice and 7 on 7 the quality of the game has improved.  There are still some dinosaur programs running around acting like they can keep doing it the same way they did 30 years ago but they are on the decline.  I believe coaching has improved, practice (both in the additional number of days and efficiency) has improved, weight training has improved and the players have improved.  10 - 15 years ago Arkansas had a terrible reputation for the quality of play.  That has changed.

Well of course I wasnt talking about Championship caliber teams.They have the kids,coaches,parents,school board and fans who are DEDICATED to WINNING and they know what it takes to WIN...BUT if they dont watch it,they can allow themselves to fall into what I stated.In fact,the coach I was speaking of was from a 2A School which Rison played and defeated in the playoffs on the way to its State Championship in 2004.In 2005 that team didnt even win 4 games.That is how quick that school allowed themselves to fall victim to the situation I stated.

transplant

Amen to that...Parents jobs are to feed them well, encourage often....and stay away from the coach.

Sensitive

Quote from: KILLER (aka...transplant) on February 17, 2007, 07:46:22 pm
Amen to that...Parents jobs are to feed them well, encourage often....and stay away from the coach.
Are you suggesting that father doesn't know best?  There are some dads in S_ _ r   C_ _ y who would disagree with you.

transplant

February 17, 2007, 08:19:17 pm #19 Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 09:30:18 pm by KILLER (aka...transplant)
Please note the above (non) referenced teams record...regular season and playoff for the last 15 years.  There is a reason that most of us aren't coaches...we don't really know as much as we think we do.

and when I say WE I don't mean me...I mean all of YOU.

Super Scrapper

Quote from: KILLER (aka...transplant) on February 17, 2007, 08:19:17 pm
Please note the above (non) referenced teams record...regular season and playoff for the last 15 years.  There is a reason that most of us aren't coaches...we don't really know as much as we think we do.

and when I say WE I don't mean me...I mean all of YOU.

Hey, I really like that last part...It really does suit you....I wish you were as smart as you think you are......SS

Go Scrappers
;D

mudslog

Quote from: Vice President RD on February 17, 2007, 03:20:26 pm
Maybe because, turf is a more cost efficient way of maintaining football fields. Schools like Greenwood will have at the most 5 School involved Football games in one week + 5 PitBull Non-School involved Football games, that's 10 games in one week. On a grassy field, in wet conditions, the field will be destroyed. Real football is still played on turf, in 15 years or so, I can see it being a mandate to have turf.

Then I will start grooming my girls for being football players.   

LakeRat

Technically I think the game has changed a lot on the last several years. Overall it's become a lot more competative and complex at every position.

Kids are now learning stuff coached in high school in peewee leagues. High schools are running more college or pro type of programs on both sides of the ball. The game has become more complex at this level very rapidly.

All good IMO... more fun to watch high scoring intense games than old style pound it out football.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas