• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AR Gatorade Player of the Year--Best players in state at each position. (Boys)

Started by Soccerhog, April 19, 2012, 10:29:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GenesisGuzman16

Quote from: User870 on May 02, 2012, 11:43:04 am
42 is the record for boys? It was Will ferguson from JHS I think...

The record for girls is 63 I believe..Hatcher from CAC two years ago..

Well Matthew Emrich for El Dorado had 32 last year. I don't know whether that was for Conference/State or in season. Regardless, that is a lot of goals for one player!

mightymustangs1

Quote from: GenesisGuzman16 on May 02, 2012, 09:40:51 pm
Quote from: User870 on May 02, 2012, 11:43:04 am
42 is the record for boys? It was Will ferguson from JHS I think...

The record for girls is 63 I believe..Hatcher from CAC two years ago..

Well Matthew Emrich for El Dorado had 32 last year. I don't know whether that was for Conference/State or in season. Regardless, that is a lot of goals for one player!
So far this season Dylan Sherrill for CAC has 30 goals through 16 games.

Theoldman

Hey y'all a previous post recognizes Hunter Webber as key to LR Central's success. I would add to those comments that so much of what Hunter does to positively affect his team goes unnoticed such as his positioning in the box. He is outstanding at closing off angles and snuffing out opponents opportunities before they become scoring chances. I have been following Central soccer for a few years and have seen Hunter develop these abilities over 4 years playing on teams loaded with quality talent such as his freshman and junior years and other teams with younger guys playing key defensive positions as the team this year. This type of prowess comes with thousands of hours of independent work. I believe that these abilities that go unnoticed to most of us are exactly the things that the D1 college coaches see in him.

unitedkid5

onetime

one mans opinion, by far the two best soccers players in the state will not be playing this friday. watching Jack O'Conner last friday and saturday  demonstrated to me that he was by far the best field player in the state. he controlled his whole team, and he definately made all the other guys on his team better. off the field, i have only spoken with the young man on a few occasion, but everytime i have, i walk away impressed with his composure, and his class. he is an example of a student athlete and a model young man on and off the field. Scoring goals, is only one part of the game, and that is where from a field perspective, Jack stands above everyone else i have seen discussed, he is the complete player.
Hunter Weber is along the same lines for Keeper. He definately makes all the other players on his team better, and he leads by example both on and off the field. i have had the opportunity to watch Hunter play for seveal years, and he is the type of player that exemplifies the student athlete. Actually, i believe it is Hunter's actions when he is not surrounded by the best players that show how truely good this young man is!
Sportsmanship, Class, Dedication, Humble, and above all the Team Player. All those traits that are overlooked far too often in todays athlete's, in addition to the stellar game time performences both of theses young men have shown over thier highschool and club soccer careers, is  why in opinion they deserve to be named co-player of the year.

offside

unitedkid5

jack o connor is not better than nelson..
imo hes not even the best player on his team..
brian flores is better than him

the best player in the state is wesley carson

SirSoccer

^ agreed, Wesley Carson is the best player i've seen in the state.  Better than anyone that graduated last year too.

Sportsaholic94

Anyone else think its weird they chose a kid not playing in college over 3 D1 commits.? To me, playing in college takes much more dedication, skill, and determination

sevenof400

Quote from: SirSoccer on May 15, 2012, 11:32:51 am
^ agreed, Wesley Carson is the best player i've seen in the state.  Better than anyone that graduated last year too. 

Hmmmm. 

Futbalfan

I agree with everyone making a case for Wes, Hunter, and Jack. Any of those guys would have been deserving of the honor. However, let's not short change Nelson, When it comes to technical ability he is the best. Not as much of a goal scoring threat as Wes but more technical (IMO). The other things that everyone has to consider are the off the field work Nelson does in with the community and local youth soccer programs, the grades, the things opposing coaches are saying about him etc. Nelson, is as deserving as anyone and if you all had a chance to sit down and speak with him I think you would feel the same way about his character and personality as you do about these other great players. On a side note, I believe Nelson will be playing college ball soon. I just think he has some hurdles that these other players don't have in order to find the right fit.

arksoc

My bet is that no one doing the selection has even seen ANY of these players play, so I'm not sure it's really worth debating. They're all quality players. But a "B average" qualifies as "academic excellence." Hmmmmm is right.

Futbalfan

I still dont think some of you get it. While a B average is not the best out there I think its pretty good for someone who didn't speak english at 11 years old. Learning a new language and taking a regular class load at the same time. So a B average is pretty good. Imagine being thrown into a classroom in China when you were in 5th grade and ending up fluent and maintaining a B average all through high school. Its pretty good.

arksoc

Quote from: Futbalfan on May 15, 2012, 01:03:49 pm
I still dont think some of you get it. While a B average is not the best out there I think its pretty good for someone who didn't speak english at 11 years old. Learning a new language and taking a regular class load at the same time. So a B average is pretty good. Imagine being thrown into a classroom in China when you were in 5th grade and ending up fluent and maintaining a B average all through high school. Its pretty good.

I think you've just made my point. If the standard was "academic pretty goodness in the face of obstacles" then it he might knock it out of the park. But that's not the stated standard. Taking nothing away from what all this young man may have overcome, let's just be honest about where the bar is apparently set for their definition of academic "excellence."

Futbalfan

Quote from: arksoc on May 15, 2012, 01:41:08 pm
Quote from: Futbalfan on May 15, 2012, 01:03:49 pm

I think you've just made my point. If the standard was "academic pretty goodness in the face of obstacles" then it he might knock it out of the park. But that's not the stated standard. Taking nothing away from what all this young man may have overcome, let's just be honest about where the bar is apparently set for their definition of academic "excellence."
Just find it sad that Only one person decided to Congratulate the winner who was able to stand up to the scrutiny of the Gatorade panel and win the award. Instead most peoples first reaction was to try to tear the kid down and start back up talking about other players who didn't meet the panels criteria. He won, he was the best fit OVERALL for the award. Except that your guy didn't, congratulate the winner and move on. With that said I'm done commenting on this topic. Congrats Nelson.

sevenof400

Futbalfan,

I would have loved to have seen Nelson play this year but unfortunately, I did not have that opportunity.  It sounds like that is my loss - maybe I'll get lucky and see him play at the all star game. 

By the way, my hmmmm was in reference to SirSoccer's comment about Wesley Carlson being better than any player from last year.   

unitedkid5

sirsoccer may be right..
i play with nelson nd he is an amzing player .. hes our team leader..
but wesley carson is a stud.. he is soo important to his team .. anyone who seen the central game should realize this

Soccerhog

Landaverde is an excellent player. My guess is that as long as Springdale maintained their ranking of 13 and 40 in the country in the two polls with no other teams in the state sniffing the rankings no one else was going to be considered.
Another loss late season and drop off the national map for Springdale and other players enter the mix for consideration and jump to the top of the list at that point

unitedkid5

Sportsaholic94

Does anyone know where he's looking to play in college? Also, who does he play club for?

offside

Some fans may not be at the point in their understanding of the game to recognize how significant a player is to his/her team.

It's easy to pick out a prolific natural scorer and dub this person as the best player.  While Nelson may not score in bunches it might be that he is a critical playmaker, someone who has the uncanny knack to be the catalyst for a scoring play, someone who uses his skill to deliver a great assist, someone who has a high soccer IQ. 

While I haven't watched Nelson play this year I suspect he is crazy technical (great dribbler with a phenomenal touch).

For a professional comparison Nelson may be more like a David Silva or Tomas Rosicky.   Both can score but are usually quietly making amazing plays and just fine working in the shadow of the natural scorers.

Soccer_25

Quote from: SirSoccer on May 15, 2012, 11:32:51 am
I havent seen Wesley play but I did see Hidalgo from Cabot play last year and I would say he is one of the best that Arkansas has seen. But congrats to Nelson

B. Kirk

Pretty sad that the first thing most of you did instead of congratulating the kid was try to detract from him getting the award.

Know Nelson personally. He's a great kid and deserving of the honor.

SirSoccer

If i had a choice of hidalgo or carson every time it would be carson. 

fanofsiloam

Quote from: Sportsaholic94 on May 15, 2012, 11:46:46 am
Anyone else think its weird they chose a kid not playing in college over 3 D1 commits.? To me, playing in college takes much more dedication, skill, and determination

How about being picked over an All American?  Gusatvo Peraza from Siloam was chosen All-American and the only one out of the state this last year.  He didn't even make the top 4.  Can someone explain that to me?

sevenof400

As we discussed last year, one of the problems with the Gatorade Award is the nomination process itself.  I haven't looked but do we know who was nominated for the award?  It may be possible that Peraza wasn't even nominated.   

unitedkid5

i think there is a huge difference in competion that these players go against ..
for example peraza doesnt go against hard competition..
guys like nelson.. hayden .. and wes play against the best teams in arkansas

Soccerhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 15, 2012, 07:56:42 pm
As we discussed last year, one of the problems with the Gatorade Award is the nomination process itself.  I haven't looked but do we know who was nominated for the award?  It may be possible that Peraza wasn't even nominated.

Anyone may initially nominate a player for the award including the player himself. The more nominations for a player the more likely, initially, he'll be considered. Fairly late in the process the field is narrowed and the coach of each of those players  being considered and/or the player is asked to fill out "official" forms including, stats, grades etc. From that group the award winner is selected.
Here is a link provided earlier in this thread that basically has the list of "finalists" for this years award

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/player-of-the-year/post/_/id/7485/eye-on-poy-arkansas-boys-soccer

Sir Alex

Quote from: unitedkid5 on May 15, 2012, 11:50:38 pm
i think there is a huge difference in competion that these players go against ..
for example peraza doesnt go against hard competition..
guys like nelson.. hayden .. and wes play against the best teams in arkansas

Not exactly true.  Siloam Springs plays a tough schedule year in and year out which includes almost every 7A west team.  This year, they also played Catholic and Conway out of the 7A Central.  It does not match Springdale's schedule which include some good teams from Oklahoma, but those schools are the only difference (two games).  With their move to 6A next year, they will be playing in the 7A West conference so your schedule theory will be a mute point. 

unitedkid5

ok but did they have the same results as springdale .
they lost to pretty much every 7a team they faced

Insider

Quote from: unitedkid5 on May 16, 2012, 09:39:17 am

The award isn't based on wins and losses.  YOU stated that they didn't play a hard schedule.  Northside, Southside, Conway, Catholic, Fayetteville, Springdale, CAC, Har-Ber.  Your right that's not a difficult schedule at all.  It's truly a shame your from springdale, because you alone have many people disgusted with what is probably the best team in the state.  Please tell us your number so we can then pick your game apart and let you know all of your deficiencies.  Congrats to Nelson.  Those who know the least talk the most and show all the world how truly ignorant they are.  "nd" that's all I have to say about that.

Sir Alex

Quote from: unitedkid5 on May 16, 2012, 09:39:17 am

That was not the point you made.  You said their competition was not as strong.  Nelson has a much better group of players surrounding him as well.  My point is that Peraza is a very strong player and would be deserving to be in the top four as would a number of others. 

unitedkid5

so u would choose him over nelson .. hayden .. hunter .. wes or even logan
peraza is a good player i agree he deserves to be atleast nominated but in the top 4 is too much

cvlunrest7

Here's a couple of curve balls. The Fleming kid for NLR at forward. I had an NLR parent tell me he had 15 goals this year with absolutely no support on a terrible team against 7a central competition. Also they have a lil skinny kid in the back that I saw shutdown Heverling  in the central game. No speed, no strength that I could tell but Heverling made five or six runs right at him and he shut him down.

Neither will be considered simply because its a real bad team with no coaching.

I've seen the Sherrill kid from CAC play club ball and he's phenominal. But 5a is so top heavy I dont see him getting 30 goals in 7a.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas