• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A South

Started by mhfcharlesi, June 28, 2016, 07:45:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mhfcharlesi

I saw where Hootens has Chapel picked to finish first in conference..are there any other teams that may have a shot at the crown? I know Hope is bringing back a good core group on offense and that is really the only team I know about.

The Future

2015 Finish       2016 Coaches Poll
Hope                   Watson Chapel
Lakeside             Lakeside
Camden              Camden
Watson Chapel  Hope
Hot Springs        Hot Springs
De Queen            De Queen
Magnolia             Magnolia
White Hall           White Hall

Well it seems they just based their predictions on last year's finish, only switching Hope and Chapel.
Hope has went back and forth winning 10 games and losing in the semis in 2013 to winning only 3 games in 2014 then to winning 9 and making it to the second round last season. We'll see if they can continue the success.
Chapel meanwhile moved back down to 5A in 2009 winning 10 games and has decreased their wins each year since then. If both continue on their current tracks, both will be fighting for the 4th seed spot. But I don't have scoops or knowledge on whos returning and whos moving up so any Bobcat or Wildcat fan can fill me in on how they seem to be doing so far this offseason. Apparently both, according to the coaches, are gonna do pretty well.
Hot Springs and Lakeside both did well last season. Camden while not the championship caliber they use to be have still been playoff worthy contenders, but will this new coach continue that trend?
Magnolia is just there and whats been causing the rapid decline in White Hall? Won 9 games in 2011 and 2012 and 8 in 2013. Then suddenly only won 5 in 2014 before goose egging it last season.

While the playoff spots seem cloudy and 4 teams could finish in any order almost, I would have to say this season the West will claim its throne as the most interesting and crazy conference in terms of who finishes where. I know theres been good discussions in recent years whether its the West or the South.
A too early Future South postregular season finish:
Camden
Watson Chapel
Hope
Lakeside
Hot Springs
White Hall
DeQueen
Magnolia

Lionheart88

I can confidently state that White Hall will be better than last year.

Beardad

I don't understand Magnolia.  I don't understand Magnolia at all.  How are they having so little success?

GuvHog

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 28, 2016, 06:44:07 pm
I can confidently state that White Hall will be better than last year.

I don't doubt that one bit. The question is will they improve enough to make the playoffs? After going winless last year, that's a tall order. I see them finishing 5th in the 5A South.

The A-Team

Quote from: The Future on June 28, 2016, 02:51:22 pm
2015 Finish       2016 Coaches Poll
Hope                   Watson Chapel
Lakeside             Lakeside
Camden              Camden
Watson Chapel  Hope
Hot Springs        Hot Springs
De Queen            De Queen
Magnolia             Magnolia
White Hall           White Hall

Well it seems they just based their predictions on last year's finish, only switching Hope and Chapel.
Hope has went back and forth winning 10 games and losing in the semis in 2013 to winning only 3 games in 2014 then to winning 9 and making it to the second round last season. We'll see if they can continue the success.
Chapel meanwhile moved back down to 5A in 2009 winning 10 games and has decreased their wins each year since then. If both continue on their current tracks, both will be fighting for the 4th seed spot. But I don't have scoops or knowledge on whos returning and whos moving up so any Bobcat or Wildcat fan can fill me in on how they seem to be doing so far this offseason. Apparently both, according to the coaches, are gonna do pretty well.
Hot Springs and Lakeside both did well last season. Camden while not the championship caliber they use to be have still been playoff worthy contenders, but will this new coach continue that trend?
Magnolia is just there and whats been causing the rapid decline in White Hall? Won 9 games in 2011 and 2012 and 8 in 2013. Then suddenly only won 5 in 2014 before goose egging it last season.

While the playoff spots seem cloudy and 4 teams could finish in any order almost, I would have to say this season the West will claim its throne as the most interesting and crazy conference in terms of who finishes where. I know theres been good discussions in recent years whether its the West or the South.
A too early Future South postregular season finish:
Camden
Watson Chapel
Hope
Lakeside
Hot Springs
White Hall
DeQueen
Magnolia
[/Is Camden capable of winning the conference? Aren't they young this year? What's their skilled positions looking like? Especially at QB. I watched some of their spring game. But didn't really get to see much because of rain. ]

Hoghead2

The 5A South will be a free for all. But I see WC winning it. Hope, Camden Fairview and HSLS will rumble for the other spots. Hope returns Sr. Austin Stuber at Qb. He threw for over 3 thousand yards and 33 TDS last year. Hope will be decent this year, but both the O and D lines are questionable somewhat. One thing for sure Hope will score points.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 29, 2016, 08:51:26 pm
The 5A South will be a free for all. But I see WC winning it. Hope, Camden Fairview and HSLS will rumble for the other spots. Hope returns Sr. Austin Stuber at Qb. He threw for over 3 thousand yards and 33 TDS last year. Hope will be decent this year, but both the O and D lines are questionable somewhat. One thing for sure Hope will score points.

I've stated several times that I won't pick WC to beat Camden Fairview until they actually do it once and I stand by that. WC does return their true Dual Threat QB that gave both Hope and Lakeside fits last year so we'll see how it goes.

Hoghead2

The Qb for WC is a very versatile QB and athletic. How WC gave up 21 unanswered points to Hope in the last 3 minutes was unbelievable still to this day. They're due to win a 5A South title.  This should be their year.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 30, 2016, 09:09:41 pm
The Qb for WC is a very versatile QB and athletic. How WC gave up 21 unanswered points to Hope in the last 3 minutes was unbelievable still to this day. They're due to win a 5A South title.  This should be their year.

Yep, the poor defensive play by the Wildcats last year cost the DC his job. It will be interesting to see how much the Wildcat Defense will improve under the new DC.

LilBeastBIL

Quote from: Beardad on June 29, 2016, 12:04:40 pm
I don't understand Magnolia.  I don't understand Magnolia at all.  How are they having so little success?
I don't know but it will hurt your soul. I graduated from Magnolia in the mid 90s and they were a powerhouse. Oh how times have changed from the Tony McDonald days

Cardinalboi07

Quote from: LilBeastBIL on August 26, 2016, 11:10:07 am
I don't know but it will hurt your soul. I graduated from Magnolia in the mid 90s and they were a powerhouse. Oh how times have changed from the Tony McDonald days
Or the Marcus Rucker days in the early 2000's. I was young but I hated to see when our Cardinals would play them in non conference. It was always a hard hitting game

LilBeastBIL

It's odd for sure. It just completely fell off.

Overdahill

Quote from: LilBeastBIL on August 26, 2016, 11:10:07 am

Its hard to imagine that the talent pool has changed as dramatically as the results. My guess is that guys that used to play football are now playing other sports. Have the other sports teams improved? Are guys just playing basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis, golf, etc. that would have played football in the past?

GuvHog

August 26, 2016, 04:30:05 pm #14 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:28:00 pm by GuvHog
Watson Chapel will be at home for games against Hope and Lakeside so hopefully that will work in the Wildcats favor but they still have to travel to Camden to play Fairview and the Wildcats have not played well against those Cardinals since dropping down from the 6A South so we'll see how it goes. Color me cautiously optimistic.

RamFan06

Lakeside has road games at Chapel, Hope and Fairview this year. Will most likely be a challange to pull off 3 road wins with those 3 opponents but Lakeside is bringing back 19 seniors with most of the defense returning. The biggest spot to fill was at RB and Swanson looks like he will fill that role nicely. I look for Lakeside to challange for the conference again this season. I think we are looking at a virtual repeat of last season in the South with Lakeside, Hope and Chapel getting fhe 1,2 and 3 seed in some order.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas