• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

American Legion Schedules

Started by zsparker93, May 25, 2016, 01:24:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zsparker93

Does anybody know where to find schedules for American Legion baseball? I checked arkansasamericanlegionbaseball.com but they don't have any posted.

RabidWolf

Texarkana Razorbacks have their on website with a full roster and schedule. They look very talented as always

TheSpecial

what region of the state are you located in?

zsparker93

BrianfromCarlisle

Sad that the Stuttgart Ricemen aren't fielding a team. Turning it into extended high school was apparently the death of the program. Go back to what it should be, which is a conglomeration of surrounding communities. Stupid decision by a coach who is now gone. Great job.!

OB11

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on June 04, 2016, 08:33:58 pm
Sad that the Stuttgart Ricemen aren't fielding a team. Turning it into extended high school was apparently the death of the program. Go back to what it should be, which is a conglomeration of surrounding communities. Stupid decision by a coach who is now gone. Great job.!

Legion is dying.  In NEA, legion is struggling to keep its head above water.  Just about every high school is now doing extended. 

ricepig

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on June 04, 2016, 08:33:58 pm

Stuttgart was the Ricemen, too? As far as extended high school baseball, Jonesboro has won 2 of the last 4 6A state championships since having the vast majority of their returning players play on it. They started their extended high school team 7 years ago.

2aball

Quote from: ricepig on June 04, 2016, 09:00:31 pm
Stuttgart was the Ricemen, too? As far as extended high school baseball, Jonesboro has won 2 of the last 4 6A state championships since having the vast majority of their returning players play on it. They started their extended high school team 7 years ago.

At the lower levels, extended league is just not there yet. The players that are good enough are still playing on travel teams because they just get more games in and get to see better opponents. So you are left with playing against a bunch of teams that just aren't very good.

I think a lot of this has to do with how football has basically taken over the summer now. Teams are starting 7 on 7 and team camps at the beginning of July. These schools have coaches coaching both sports, and they don't have the time or energy to do both football and baseball in July. So they get a few games in early June before they are ready to take a short break and start up football. It's not only the coaches though, but the fact that the majority of the team is going to be made up of players that play multiple sports. While you still have players playing multiple sports at the higher classifications too, it doesn't impact them as much because they also have more that might be baseball only.

ricepig

Quote from: 2aball on June 04, 2016, 09:41:34 pm
At the lower levels, extended league is just not there yet. The players that are good enough are still playing on travel teams because they just get more games in and get to see better opponents. So you are left with playing against a bunch of teams that just aren't very good.

I think a lot of this has to do with how football has basically taken over the summer now. Teams are starting 7 on 7 and team camps at the beginning of July. These schools have coaches coaching both sports, and they don't have the time or energy to do both football and baseball in July. So they get a few games in early June before they are ready to take a short break and start up football. It's not only the coaches though, but the fact that the majority of the team is going to be made up of players that play multiple sports. While you still have players playing multiple sports at the higher classifications too, it doesn't impact them as much because they also have more that might be baseball only.

Jonesboro plays the month of June and usually the first week of July. They hire someone, usually someone finishing college and wanting to get a start in coaching, to coach their extended team. There will be a player or two play on a travel/showcase team, but I've yet to see one play beyond the high school, they've just wasted mom and dad's money, lol. Usually it opens up the chance for someone else to play and show what he can do, builds depth. As far as baseball and football, it varies from year to year, but there can be from 5-6 who start on both teams, to around 3-4. It takes some cooperation between teams on scheduling camps and 7 on 7's, but the baseball team can play during the dead period as they aren't coached by the regular staff, and schedule to be off campus during those weeks.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2016, 07:30:42 am

Jonesboro plays the month of June and usually the first week of July. They hire someone, usually someone finishing college and wanting to get a start in coaching, to coach their extended team. There will be a player or two play on a travel/showcase team, but I've yet to see one play beyond the high school, they've just wasted mom and dad's money, lol. Usually it opens up the chance for someone else to play and show what he can do, builds depth. As far as baseball and football, it varies from year to year, but there can be from 5-6 who start on both teams, to around 3-4. It takes some cooperation between teams on scheduling camps and 7 on 7's, but the baseball team can play during the dead period as they aren't coached by the regular staff, and schedule to be off campus during those weeks.

Jonesboro is actually being coached this year by two of the high school coaches.  Will have to find someone to fill in for those two weeks. 

ricepig

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on June 05, 2016, 07:53:52 pm
Jonesboro is actually being coached this year by two of the high school coaches.  Will have to find someone to fill in for those two weeks.

Ok, I haven't watched them this summer, surprised at that.

NEA Razorback olfan

Paragould Glen Sain Ford sweeps Morrilton 8-4 /11-3

2aball

Quote from: ricepig on June 05, 2016, 07:30:42 am

I think them being able to hire someone really helps their situations out. A lot of the smaller classification schools don't even pay their high school coach to coach extended league, much less someone else. Most of the 1a, 2a, 3a, schools coaches are doing it for free just to get their boys some more playing time

ricepig

Quote from: 2aball on June 06, 2016, 01:09:53 pm
I think them being able to hire someone really helps their situations out. A lot of the smaller classification schools don't even pay their high school coach to coach extended league, much less someone else. Most of the 1a, 2a, 3a, schools coaches are doing it for free just to get their boys some more playing time

Well, as Oliver said, it appears a couple of the coaches are coaching it this season. They've usually hired some guys, frees up the coaches to have some family time, and let the kids have a different voice or approach on different strategies. Usually an assistant would take the younger team when they were in different tournaments. I've been away for a few years, I guess I'll be back in it with a 9th grader next year.

GHS_08

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on June 04, 2016, 08:42:27 pm
Legion is dying.  In NEA, legion is struggling to keep its head above water.  Just about every high school is now doing extended.

Blytheville legion has had a good turnout the last 3-4 years and they've been pretty competitive.

OB11

Quote from: GHS_08 on June 08, 2016, 05:53:26 pm
Blytheville legion has had a good turnout the last 3-4 years and they've been pretty competitive.

If Blytheville didn't have the legion program would any of the schools in that area have somewhere for their kids to play?  I know Burnside coaches the legion team...I imagine if he didn't he would do his own extended summer team. 

GHS_08

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on June 08, 2016, 08:30:32 pm
If Blytheville didn't have the legion program would any of the schools in that area have somewhere for their kids to play?  I know Burnside coaches the legion team...I imagine if he didn't he would do his own extended summer team.

They do both. They have kind of a summer league with all the area teams.

pioneers

Quote from: GHS_08 on June 08, 2016, 09:51:07 pm
They do both. They have kind of a summer league with all the area teams.
How is Blytheville doing this year?

Missco

June 09, 2016, 10:07:24 pm #18 Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:12:53 pm by Missco
I think they lost to Jackson Mo twice Sunday.

RedWolf275

Are the Marion Toppers a legion team? Riverside has one former and two current players playing for them.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: RedWolf275 on June 19, 2016, 09:36:20 am
Are the Marion Toppers a legion team? Riverside has one former and two current players playing for them.

I believe they are a showcase team

RedWolf275

Thanks for the info but I'm not sure what a showcase team is.

RabidWolf

They simply play in tournaments at college firlds in front of coaches fron multiple schools. The goaL is to get players in front of as many coaches as possible. There are no boundaries limiting where players come from.

GHS_08

Quote from: pioneers on June 09, 2016, 08:13:10 pm
How is Blytheville doing this year?

Beat Jonesboro 13-2 Wednesday.

OB11

Quote from: RedWolf275 on June 19, 2016, 09:36:20 am

They are not a legion team.  They have players from all over and play as a showcase team.  Their coach used to do West Memphis' legion team. 

BoxNOne

Marion Toppers are 15-2-1 after Redwolf Classic.

Hornet guy

Jonesboro Riceman beat the Marion Toppers 1-0 in 7 inning game . Toppers win the 5 inning game 12-3 .

WPWells

RabidWolf

I know legion has alot of talent state wide. Are there any really talented babe Ruth or dixie teams around?  Or have those faded so much that the talent ignores it?

TheSpecial

Fat City Classic @Nettleton
Jonesboro Jackals 3 Marion Ext. HS 1
Paragould Glen Sain Ford 5 Marion HS 1
Valley View Ext. 12 Armor Seed 7

OB11

Quote from: TheSpecial on June 22, 2016, 11:15:28 pm
Fat City Classic @Nettleton
Jonesboro Jackals 3 Marion Ext. HS 1
Paragould Glen Sain Ford 5 Marion HS 1
Valley View Ext. 12 Armor Seed 7

Teams in the Fat City Classic

Pool A: Nettleton, Valley View, Blytheville Legion, Walnut Ridge
Pool B: Jonesboro, Paragould Jr. Legion, Marion, Bald Knob

Each team will play the same seed from the other pool on Saturday.  So the 1 seeds from each pool will play for the championship at 5:30 with all other games happening earlier in the day.   

NEA Razorback olfan

Paragould Glen Sain Ford over Bald Knob 8-7 in 9 innings

PirateFan

Blytheville Casons are 3-0 in Zone play. They have beaten Paragould twice and Jonesboro. Paragould is a very much improved team from last year. They are really hitting the ball well. Both games with Paragould have been battles with the second game going 9 innings! They have several players returning from college this summer as does Blytheville. Blytheville still has a double header to make up with Mt. Home.

OB11

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on June 23, 2016, 08:53:24 pm
Paragould Glen Sain Ford over Bald Knob 8-7 in 9 innings

That was a really good game.  Bald Knob jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the top of the first.  Paragould made up a couple of runs later in the game and kept BK off the board.  Paragould won it on a walk off HBP if I remember correctly.

Hornet guy

Ricemen beat Kenett today 10-2 in Paragould tournament.

OB11

Jonesboro will play Valley View in the championship game of the Fat City Classic tomorrow at 5:30.  Both teams go 3-0 in pool play. 

NEA Razorback olfan

OB11

Final
Jonesboro 12
Valley View 2

Armor Seed Classic Championship Game

Hornet guy

Riceman lost to Marion Toppers tonight in semis at Paragould 11-3 .

2aball

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on June 19, 2016, 08:56:09 pm
They are not a legion team.  They have players from all over and play as a showcase team.  Their coach used to do West Memphis' legion team.

Their coach is a trip. Old school as it gets. He will pull off some tricky shady stuff too if you aren't watching lol. He loves a good double squeeze. If you are ever watching them and they have runners on 2nd and 3rd, watch the runner on 2nd. They will pull that double squeeze and the guy on 2nd will cut through the grass and never touch 3rd. Amazingly they never get caught.

OB11

Jonesboro Ricemen play the Jonesboro Jackals today at 5. 

Hornet guy

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

Jr Zone 2 tourney
Paragould Glen Sain Ford over Blytheville 5-4  to earn trip to State , play winner of loser bracket tomorrow at 4

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas