• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-3 Scores 18/19 Season

Started by cannon, December 10, 2018, 08:09:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Livewire

J12, I think LRRandy has it right. Westside will get Mills in Regional. IN THE FINALS!

J12

Quote from: Livewire on February 07, 2019, 09:54:36 am
J12, I think LRRandy has it right. Westside will get Mills in Regional. IN THE FINALS!

We'll see. I hope we can get there and see.

Former, Coach Jacobs

If the district tourneys fall exactly how the current standings are then there are going to be some great match-ups in the regional tourney.

1(4A-5) Mills
4(4A-3) Brookland

2(4A-3) Blytheville
3(4A-5) E-Stem

1(4A-3) Westside
4(4A-5) Forrest City

2(4A-5) McClellan
3(4A-3) Valley View

Blytheville vs. E-Stem/McClellan would be a great game.

It will be a fight to stay out of that 4 hole to avoid Mills. I could see something crazy happening in the district tourney up at Pokey.

J12

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on February 07, 2019, 10:38:51 am
If the district tourneys fall exactly how the current standings are then there are going to be some great match-ups in the regional tourney.

1(4A-5) Mills
4(4A-3) Brookland

2(4A-3) Blytheville
3(4A-5) E-Stem

1(4A-3) Westside
4(4A-5) Forrest City

2(4A-5) McClellan
3(4A-3) Valley View

It will be a fight to stay out of that 4 hole to avoid Mills. I could see something crazy happening in the district tourney up at Pokey.

Just when Valley View thought they were out of 5A...

cannon

Quote from: J12 on February 07, 2019, 10:45:20 am
Just when Valley View thought they were out of 5A...

Yup, getting smoked by McClellan is something we're quite accustomed to.  Historically, it's been at the state level, but I'm sure our boys can adjust to getting their butts whipped at regionals just as efficiently as we have gotten em whipped at state in the past.  And that's IF we get there to see that butt whoopin.   ;D

J12

Quote from: cannon on February 07, 2019, 11:35:21 am
Yup, getting smoked by McClellan is something we're quite accustomed to.  Historically, it's been at the state level, but I'm sure our boys can adjust to getting their butts whipped at regionals just as efficiently as we have gotten em whipped at state in the past.  And that's IF we get there to see that butt whoopin.   ;D

Valley View is good.

Look, I'm not Randy smart, but I know when I see a good team. 6'7 kid stays out foul trouble and you shoot it like they do, then all bets are off. Like Westside, valley view seems to have a method of "defense optional". Which hurts when you need actual stops in close games.   

cannon

Quote from: J12 on February 07, 2019, 11:41:58 am
Valley View is good.

Look, I'm not Randy smart, but I know when I see a good team. 6'7 kid stays out foul trouble and you shoot it like they do, then all bets are off. Like Westside, valley view seems to have a method of "defense optional". Which hurts when you need actual stops in close games.

That kid (CJ) is absolutely key to staying in the big games.  He's long enough to force players to alter shots in the paint, and that ultimately gets in their heads enough to make them miss shots that they'd make 90% of the time.  When he started the season, you could hear the mumble from fans in the stands everytime he stepped on the court.  He was weak, slow, and one step out of rhythm on every play.  Everybody was hacked at Manchester for putting him in.  But over the season, his timing has rapidly improved, he's getting a little stronger, and he's playing with a lot more confidence. 

And you're right, they're definitely NOT good at stopping runs or controlling pace.  The first half of the season they had an "offense optional" method that they employed, as well, which gets you beat by teams like Beebe.  They're young and don't have the experience that most of our better teams have had, but they've improved by leaps and bounds as the season has progressed.  Nonetheless, historically, they play well at the district level, but when they get to the state level, the only soft drink they're packing is choke-a-cola.  I've never seen em get out of the first round. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Girls
Marmaduke 64
Brookland 83
F

J12

Riverview - 10
Westside - 23

1Q

J12

Riverview - 27
Westside - 40

1H

J12

Riverview - 42
Westside - 77

Final

Runnin With The Pack

Quote from: cannon on February 07, 2019, 11:35:21 am
Yup, getting smoked by McClellan is something we're quite accustomed to.

When is the last time VV & McClellan met in basketball?

cannon

February 10, 2019, 12:21:58 pm #262 Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:31:33 pm by cannon
Quote from: Runnin With The Pack on February 09, 2019, 10:48:24 am
   When is the last time VV & McClellan met in basketball?

I think it was last season, but i honestly can't say. I think when Gorton/Horne were playing, we lost out in the first round once to them and once to Fair. But don't read too much into that, because I haven't followed them that closely.  My point was, they're pretty well acclimated to getting their collective butts whipped outside the district.

cannon

Quote from: cannon on February 10, 2019, 12:21:58 pm
I think it was last season, but i honestly can't say. I think when Gorton/Horne were playing, we lost out in the first round once to them and once to Fair. But don't read too much into that, because I haven't followed them that closely.  My point was, they're pretty well acclimated to getting their collective butts whipped outside the district.

;D. Looking back, I can't even find that matchup, so I was clearly babbling about something I know nothing about. I'd swear I remember our boys getting smoked by them, but I'm positive they got whipped by JA Fair and Watson Chappell, so let me amend that post to say: doesn't matter which central Arkansas team it was, Valley View historically gets dropped like a sack of dirty laundry in the first round.

Better?

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: cannon on February 10, 2019, 12:43:27 pm
;D. Looking back, I can't even find that matchup, so I was clearly babbling about something I know nothing about. I'd swear I remember our boys getting smoked by them, but I'm positive they got whipped by JA Fair and Watson Chappell, so let me amend that post to say: doesn't matter which central Arkansas team it was, Valley View historically gets dropped like a sack of dirty laundry in the first round.

Better?

Last year Fair smoked them in the first round. In 2016 they beat Chapel in the first round and then lost to Mills in the 2nd round. That was Gorton/Horn's senior season I believe.

cannon

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on February 10, 2019, 12:52:58 pm
Last year Fair smoked them in the first round. In 2016 they beat Chapel in the first round and then lost to Mills in the 2nd round. That was Gorton/Horn's senior season I believe.

See. Can't take anything I type here with anything more than a grain of salt.

Runnin With The Pack

Quote from: cannon on February 10, 2019, 02:57:39 pm
See. Can't take anything I type here with anything more than a grain of salt.

I can assure you that VV and McClellan haven't played in the past 4 seasons...

cannon

February 11, 2019, 09:21:18 am #267 Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:39:04 am by cannon
Quote from: Runnin With The Pack on February 10, 2019, 10:53:20 pm
   I can assure you that VV and McClellan haven't played in the past 4 seasons...

I see. I thought that they had. I was clearly wrong, which makes at least three times that's happened in my life. I'm thinking football, maybe?  Either way, I was clearly talking out of the side of my mouth. I've followed the girls fairly closely in the post season, but not so much with the boys.

J12

February 11, 2019, 10:12:25 pm #268 Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:14:23 pm by J12
District quarterfinals are now set.

5.Southside vs  4.Brookland
7.Highland vs 3.Valley View

J12

Southside - 16
Brookland - 21

1H

J12

Southside - 27
Brookland - 32

3Q

J12

Brookland wins.

They get Westside Thursday. After that, their last game of the season will be against LR Mills next week.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: J12 on February 12, 2019, 06:38:14 pm
Brookland wins.

They get Westside Thursday. After that, their last game of the season will be against LR Mills next week.

Who knows, in post season anything can happen!!

J12

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on February 12, 2019, 06:53:36 pm
Who knows, in post season anything can happen!!

Possibly. I do think Westside was somewhat embarrassed after losing at home to Brookland. 

I would be surprised to not see Westside come out with a lot of intensity Thursday.

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: J12 on February 12, 2019, 06:38:14 pm
Brookland wins.

You have an unhealthy obsession with Brookland. Haha

J12

Valley View closes it out last night. 3-4A will send their top 4 teams to the regional.

Good chance the best postseason basketball will be played next week in Highland!

Hatchet

Quote from: J12 on February 12, 2019, 07:01:17 pm
Possibly. I do think Westside was somewhat embarrassed after losing at home to Brookland. 

I would be surprised to not see Westside come out with a lot of intensity Thursday.
Better watch out Bobby will have his boy toy Brad Davidson officating

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on February 07, 2019, 10:38:51 am

1(4A-5) Mills
4(4A-3) Brookland

2(4A-3) Blytheville
3(4A-5) E-Stem

1(4A-3) Westside
4(4A-5) Forrest City

2(4A-5) McClellan
3(4A-3) Valley View

If it actually falls this way...This is going to be interesting!! 4 Get to dance and come down here to Magnolia, Do you all see any possible upsets???

J12

Quote from: Hatchet on February 14, 2019, 08:49:49 am

Hahaha. You're saying this like we don't already know that.

J12

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on February 14, 2019, 09:20:22 am
If it actually falls this way...This is going to be interesting!! 4 Get to dance and come down here to Magnolia, Do you all see any possible upsets???

If Valley View can beat Blytheville, I think they'll beat E Stem. 

VV started off slow, but have good guard play, 2 good shooters, and a big kid (6'7) that if he stays out of trouble changes the way they can defend the other team.

Of all the teams in our district - they're playing the best at this moment.

Livewire

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on February 14, 2019, 09:20:22 am
Brookland will NOT beat Mills. Unlikely that FC would beat Westside. VV big man will have to stay out of foul trouble for them to win. Not gonna speculate on the Blytheville game.
At this level not sure any of these games would be considered an upset.

J12

February 14, 2019, 06:32:01 pm #281 Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:55:33 pm by J12
That was fun. Brookland and Mills should be a great game.

J12

Quote from: Hatchet on February 14, 2019, 08:49:49 am

Officiating wasn't bad. Not much to disagree about when you're up 30.

Hatchet

where are all the Brookland posters

J12

Quote from: Hatchet on February 14, 2019, 07:06:01 pm

Still singing their alma mater at Westside if I'd have to guess.

cannon

Brookland just played terrible. I was super disappointed. Drove an hour to watch a shootout and it turned out to be a slaughter. I hope VV's boys don't get it handed to them in this one. Could certainly happen.

cannon

VV looks scared. This is going to be a beat down.

J12

Just when I touted Valley View they're out here getting throttled.

cannon

Quote from: J12 on February 14, 2019, 08:48:43 pm
Just when I touted Valley View they're out here getting throttled.

Youth showing through. Down 18 at the half. Don't see them coming back from that. I hope they'll claw their way back in well enough to at least make it a respectable game. I have not been entertained in Pocahontas this evening.

J12

Quote from: cannon on February 14, 2019, 09:07:33 pm
Youth showing through. Down 18 at the half. Don't see them coming back from that. I hope they'll claw their way back in well enough to at least make it a respectable game. I have not been entertained in Pocahontas this evening.

I had a great time.

cannon

Quote from: J12 on February 14, 2019, 09:10:53 pm
I had a great time.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I bet. But seriously, if I don't have a kid on the team, I'd rather see our school team lose one in double OT than win one by 40. I have a short attention span.

whsbballfan

As for the Westside/Brookland matchup last night, I don't think anybody saw that wide of a margin coming.  I will say, I truly hope Brookland represents the conference well in next week's match up with Mills in the regional.  It will be a tall task but I can honestly say,  I'm pulling for the upset.  As for last nights game,  Brookland definitely got out schemed.  With that being said,  the Westside players most definitely had extra motivation after their loss at home to Brookland a few weeks earlier.  Those boys took note of how Coach Gross stormed to mid court on their home floor and stuck his chest out for the world to see while his assistant jumped on his back.  I understand his passion and would  never question his basketball mind,  but you would think he would act like he's been there before, as we all know he has a state championship on his resume.  Hopefully he learned a lesson last night and noticed the opposing bench's demeanor after that beatdown.  I will further state I can understand the players and students acting  this way to a certain extent, but for the head coach/ AD to do that was quite disrespectfull. 

J12

Quote from: whsbballfan on February 15, 2019, 12:40:42 pm
As for the Westside/Brookland matchup last night, I don't think anybody saw that wide of a margin coming.  I will say, I truly hope Brookland represents the conference well in next week's match up with Mills in the regional.  It will be a tall task but I can honestly say,  I'm pulling for the upset.  As for last nights game,  Brookland definitely got out schemed.  With that being said,  the Westside players most definitely had extra motivation after their loss at home to Brookland a few weeks earlier.  Those boys took note of how Coach Gross stormed to mid court on their home floor and stuck his chest out for the world to see while his assistant jumped on his back.  I understand his passion and would  never question his basketball mind,  but you would think he would act like he's been there before, as we all know he has a state championship on his resume.  Hopefully he learned a lesson last night and noticed the opposing bench's demeanor after that beatdown.  I will further state I can understand the players and students acting  this way to a certain extent, but for the head coach/ AD to do that was quite disrespectfull.

Gotta give him a break, first time he beat Westside in 4 years.

We have the fiasco last year in district where they intentionally fouled Felts 3 times, while getting beat by 40.

His assistant coach last year, the wonderful Bill Taylor, talked trash to Felts on the bench.  Multiple games. Then apologized after the games.

Then this year, during the one and only win against Westside, you witnessed an athletic trainer yelling and staring down opposing team players.

To your point, it's the so called adults who displayed the worst behavior of all, not the kids. The talent on his teams the last 2 years have been been top 10 in the state, the coaching hasn't.

whsbballfan

Once again,  I have never questioned his coaching abilities.  His kids are hard nosed and they play hard.  My point alluded to his disrespect for the other team.  I will point out that he also patted himself on the back after their victory at Westside in the Jonesboro Sun touting "his system."  That was a direct shot at those that gripe at his style of play.  Funny how no quotes were in the paper today of him boasting about that same system. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Hatchet on February 14, 2019, 07:06:01 pm

Still here , couldn't make the game because of work,  but it sounds like Westside played great!
Congrats to Westside!

MDXPHD

Good grief these westside fans are annoying. They gossip more than Junior high girls. We get it - you don't like Brookland or their coaches. I pull for NE teams but I'd love for you guys to lose early so we don't have to hear about it the rest of the year.

J12

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 16, 2019, 07:48:00 am
Good grief these westside fans are annoying. They gossip more than Junior high girls. We get it - you don't like Brookland or their coaches. I pull for NE teams but I'd love for you guys to lose early so we don't have to hear about it the rest of the year.

Haters hate.

J12

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 16, 2019, 07:48:00 am

What's gossip? 

There's certain responsibilities you carry as a HC.  You don't tell your players that I guess "they don't hate them enough" reffering to Westside. Then go out and execute a game plan that has nothing to do with basketball, but trying to injure a kid that's playing at the next level or make him mad enough by being so cheap that he retaletes.

There wasn't an apology made by Bobby Gross for it either.

You want to stand up for that and make Westside folks out to be petty? Fine. It's a game and usually good competition between all schools. But you have that happen last year and you don't have a clue obviously.

Go read  my other posts. Nothing but compliments for Valley View & Nettleton. Coach Swift has a great team. 

MDXPHD

J12

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas