• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HS Girls Scrimmaging Boys

Started by imactownballa_10, January 03, 2008, 02:39:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

imactownballa_10

is it legal for a hs girls team to scrimmage in practice against a group of boys? because ive heard of several places doing it and ive heard that its isnt legal..

msballer

Illegal..what is illegal about it...most successful womens programs in college do it (Duke, Tennessee, Rutgers, etc.).. To be the best you have to play against better opponents. NOTHING ILLEGAL about scrimmaging boys.

parpar

And, not only that, it's not illegal for girls to play on the boys team - but they can only play on one, not both the boys and the girls team.

imactownballa_10

well see thats what i thought but we have been told that we would be turned in to the AAA if our team did that..
i dont see why we cant though. it would just make arkansas girls hs bball that much better.

Forrest City H

If Conway girls can still field a team year after year with their recruiting nonsense that goes, then your team will surely be ok practicing against boys. 

Quite Frankly

It used to be common practice for younger boys teams to practice against older girls.  It's sort of lost favor.

You might be confused with college.  The NCAA has recently begin to ban the practice of college girls teams having a rec boys team as practice comp.  It's been standard for years, but now they say it's degrading to women.

Maybe that's the confusion.  Because that is real in college.  Nothing as far as AAA that I know of.

razorback5

I know of a few high school girl's teams in Arkansas that scrimmage against guys.

Quite Frankly

It does happen.  Often cause there are not enough decent players on some second sstrings.

I know of cases where the hs girls scrimmage the jh boys.

motivate

We scrimmage sr. girls vs. jr. boys a lot before season starts. Just because the second string has such a drop off in talent.

imactownballa_10

i wish we could..
but our AD has problems with basketball. football rules at our school. basketball has a cockroach infested gym. how nice.

parpar

I think you see it a lot in HS soccer.  Numbers at some schools tend to dictate that there aren't enough girls to field two teams, so they scrimmage against the jv.

CoachJ

When I was in high school, during pre-season practices we would always scrimmage against our girls teams.  It really helped both teams, as coaches would run offenses and defenses the other team was having trouble with.  I think it's a good idea to do this. 

Also, a couple of years ago I was on a team that would scrimmage against our local college's girls basketball team and they have since stopped having us come in and play.  Or maybe they just stopped tell me about it  ;D

philgoodallday

Our jh boys team scrimmaged against the sr girls team back in the early 90s.  It was good for both teams.  Girls rely more on fundamentals, which teaches the boys good defense.  The boys' use of athleticism caused the girls to use their aggressive nature.  The girls can get pretty rough, especially when the boys play defense a little too close for their liking!  Hey, I was a boy, so what can I say?

Quite Frankly

philgoodallday

nwahog

Quote from: Quite Frankly on January 03, 2008, 05:41:48 pm
It used to be common practice for younger boys teams to practice against older girls.  It's sort of lost favor.

You might be confused with college.  The NCAA has recently begin to ban the practice of college girls teams having a rec boys team as practice comp.  It's been standard for years, but now they say it's degrading to women.

Maybe that's the confusion.  Because that is real in college.  Nothing as far as AAA that I know of.

I know the U of A has a rec boys team.  It is required that the guys on the team played high school ball, and I believe there is a try out process.

jorpar

why can a girl be on a boys team but a boy cannot be on a girls?

ilikebasketball

if a boy was on a girls team he could score like 30 pts a game easy. girls are just weaker than boys.. but that rule is for a school if they dont have enough girls to have a team..

philgoodallday

You find me a girl who has the speed, agility, quickness, hops and shot to be on the boys' team, and I'll take her.  No sexism intended.

jorpar

the point of discussion is why can a girl play on a boys team but a boy cannot play on a girls team?   

parpar

That's one of those mysteries of life, jopar, like the foul pole and bifocal contacts.  You just have to accept some things.

Back semi- on topic, I saw something in the news where the DIII NCAA schools are limiting the use of male practice squads and/or eliminating them alltogether against the girls teams.  Did anyone else see that recently?

Quite Frankly

Quote from: parpar on January 23, 2008, 04:22:43 pm
That's one of those mysteries of life, jopar, like the foul pole and bifocal contacts.  You just have to accept some things.

Back semi- on topic, I saw something in the news where the DIII NCAA schools are limiting the use of male practice squads and/or eliminating them alltogether against the girls teams.  Did anyone else see that recently?

See reply #5

jorpar

Boys need to play boys and girls need to play girls. If girls think they need to play on boys teams than boys need to be able to play on girls teams. Lets stop kidding ourselves. On a physical standpoint girls do not need to try and compete with boys. No contest. Get past it. Girls cannot compete physically. Why is it even up for ANY discussion.

Quite Frankly

ilikebasketball

Quote from: jorpar on January 23, 2008, 06:37:29 pm
Boys need to play boys and girls need to play girls. If girls think they need to play on boys teams than boys need to be able to play on girls teams. Lets stop kidding ourselves. On a physical standpoint girls do not need to try and compete with boys. No contest. Get past it. Girls cannot compete physically. Why is it even up for ANY discussion.
the point of this isn't about boys playing on girls teams or girls playing on boys teams. it's about a hs girls team scrimmaging, in practice, a group of boys.

parpar

"jorpar and parpar? "

No relation.

AB™

They do it at Rogers.  The sophomore boys scrimmage against the varsity girls team, and more times than not got their but whooped.  Prettty funny at times actually.

phoenix0923

Guy-Perkins is no stranger to this... the girls and boys scrimmage together (with local alumni most of the time) pick-up style almost every Sunday and have done so for probably two decades now... maybe that's why the women are consistently strong year after year... if you can take what the boys are throwin' at ya, then smaller opponents shouldn't be a problem!

HGaluminTN

Quote from: Coach J. on January 04, 2008, 11:23:53 pm
When I was in high school, during pre-season practices we would always scrimmage against our girls teams.  It really helped both teams, as coaches would run offenses and defenses the other team was having trouble with.  I think it's a good idea to do this. 

Also, a couple of years ago I was on a team that would scrimmage against our local college's girls basketball team and they have since stopped having us come in and play.  Or maybe they just stopped tell me about it  ;D
If it is a D1 team, then the men's team that they scrimmage against has to meet all eligibility requirements as if they were playing against other universities.  Pat Summitt for years has used men to practice with the Lady Vols.  Last year one of the Knoxville stations did a story on the guys who practice and the NCAA regulates right down to how many pair of shorts and practice jerseys the guys have.  And now they are phasing the guys out altogether.

jwhite2004_ath

There are no violations with AAA for girls playing against boys. As far as college goes, there are no violations either. The boys that they play against must follow NCAA eligibility rules though.

Quite Frankly

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2007/03/22/71220

Most girls teams are having to do away with the formal boys squads they practice against.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas