• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1a Boys State Favorite?

Started by Bulldog1234, December 03, 2018, 02:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D6Bound

But aren't you contradicting yourself with that? Wouldn't bigger schools want to stray away from the top tier 1A teams every year because those will be the ones who likely will beat them and embarrass them? You said two posts ago that bigger schools wouldn't want to risk being beat by a small school now you're saying they wouldn't want to play because it wouldn't be competitive and worth their time?

YSpanther

Quote from: D6Bound on December 18, 2018, 11:00:33 pm
But aren't you contradicting yourself with that? Wouldn't bigger schools want to stray away from the top tier 1A teams every year because those will be the ones who likely will beat them and embarrass them? You said two posts ago that bigger schools wouldn't want to risk being beat by a small school now you're saying they wouldn't want to play because it wouldn't be competitive and worth their time?
I was talking in general. Only the top tier 1A schools would offer a challenge.  For a newer school like who we were talking about, how is a larger school like a Bentonville going to know what they are capable of?  Unless they have a track record, who knows what to expect. The point is, it is all relative and depends on each school's situation. Some schools have a stellar football program but are woeful in basketball and vice versa. And just because a school is big, doesn't mean they are any good either.

It's one thing to be competitive and have a good game even if classifications are way lopsided.  But would a 6A school gain anything by playing Mt. Judea this year?  Only getting playing time for the end of the bench.  It would be a waste of time for the starters or getting tougher for postseason.

And that is the catch 22 for many small schools. After their conference schedules, they have to look at their projected team and then try and call around and get games scheduled and then try and decide how many tournaments to play too.  Some teams may think they are too tough, others may think they are just tough enough to be a trap game and respectfully decline. Making a schedule is an inexact science, and sometimes teams back out or don't field a team because the schools are so small.  To just assume that a team isn't trying to play anyone isn't exactly fair IMHO.

riccoar

ICC (1A) beat Pine Bluff (5A) this year.  A lot gets made about teams beating bigger classifications when really it shouldn't.  The higher classification just signifies that those schools have a much deeper pool of kids from which to build their teams.  Yes, traditionally, those bigger schools do dominate.  But ICC simply proves when you put the most talented 5 on the court and play hard nosed basketball, you can beat just about anyone.  Westside (1A) teams beat Heber Springs (4A) this year.  However, these bigger schools that also have football, don't have the best athletes always out of their bigger pools because of so many kids who dedicate to just one sport.  Back when I was in school, the top athletes played all the major sports, not just one.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Flobbito on December 14, 2018, 08:11:10 am
My .02:

Favorite-
ICC

next tier-
Dermott
The New School (still not entirely sold on these guys)

Second tier -
Timbo
Calico Rock
Nevada
and maybe Western Grove

Third tier -
A whole bunch of teams, and MVE because I'm a homer  ;D ;D

Just doing a little homework. And saw the Nevada-Dermott score. I'd atleast mention Kirby boys along with Dermott in tier 2. No "bad" losses at 16-4 with losses to 19-1 valley springs, Morrilton, Lake Hamilton, and Russellville. Not the strongest win schedule, but decent wins from what I'm seeing I'd atleast mention them near the tier 2.

FromTheBench

Quote from: Mr. Basketball on December 18, 2018, 10:53:44 pm
The Izard County Cougars improved to 18-2 on the season with a win over the Sloan Hendrix Greyhounds, 58-35, at Imboden in a game that was nowhere near as close as the score indicated. The Cougars were ahead 26-4 in the first quarter, 45-16 at the half, and 58-25 after three quarters. The Cougars didn't play starters after about the first half of the third quarter and emptied the bench while Sloan kept playing best player and a couple of other starters right up to the last minute. The final score didn't fool anybody at game. Complete domination by the Cougars

The final score says they won by 23... That's still pretty dominating fashion to win a game. Guess it's not really a blowout unless you completely demoralize a team by 50 or so.. No need to defend ICC, they are 18-2 and the 2 losses are VERY good ones to have on your record. Congrats to those young men and coach on a great season. Would love to go down to Hot Springs and watch them again.

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: YSpanther on December 18, 2018, 09:55:17 pm
Deer lost to YS tonight 64-46, but it was a close game until the beginning of the 4th.  So either they are good, or we are both mediocre.  Both possibilities.  They play hard and have pretty good shooters, but they lack size in a big way, which is what Yellville has.  I guess they thought they had to speed us up, so they pretty much pressed the whole game, which didn't cause too many turnovers on us, but sure piled up the fouls on them and tired them out by the 4th when we got a lot of open break away looks because of the press breaking down.  We also ran a gimmick box and one on their star shooter and frustrated him beyond belief.  He had lit us up for around 30 last time and I would be surprised if he had more than 10 tonight.  He was so frustrated that when he fouled out, he got a technical as a parting gift for what I assume was some choice words.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them at state.  Not in the semifinals, but at state.

I'm sure  Deer is really missing a couple of those big guys that graduated from last years 33-5 team. Looks like there are several good teams in 1A that could fit in the "tier 2".

Yellville and Deer most likely will meet up in the 2nd round of NAC tournament. The winner gets Valley in the semi-finals. 

YSpanther

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on December 19, 2018, 08:21:16 am
I'm sure  Deer is really missing a couple of those big guys that graduated from last years 33-5 team. Looks like there are several good teams in 1A that could fit in the "tier 2".

Yellville and Deer most likely will meet up in the 2nd round of NAC tournament. The winner gets Valley in the semi-finals.
Marshall has been playing a lot better as of late.  They are better than their seeding in my opinion.  If we have too much of a Christmas hangover we will be a one and done and not get Deer or Valley or anyone.  One game at a time. I heard that when they did their initial secret vote on seeding, one of these coaches in that tournament voted us a 11 seed.  I would like to know which local hater did that.  It dropped us at least an overall seed or 2 in the final bracket.  Bush league in my opinion.  We aren't as good as Valley or have as good a record as Bergman, but anyone that looks at that field and thinks that 10 of those teams are better than us, doesn't know basketball very good or is a bit of a hater.  ;D

Woodrow1

Quote from: FromTheBench on December 19, 2018, 08:02:30 am
The final score says they won by 23... That's still pretty dominating fashion to win a game. Guess it's not really a blowout unless you completely demoralize a team by 50 or so.. No need to defend ICC, they are 18-2 and the 2 losses are VERY good ones to have on your record. Congrats to those young men and coach on a great season. Would love to go down to Hot Springs and watch them again.

+1

Maynard Man

December 19, 2018, 10:17:55 am #58 Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:35:53 am by Maynard Man
 I think ICC is the favorite.

D6Bound

December 19, 2018, 10:35:19 am #59 Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:44:10 am by D6Bound
Quote from: YSpanther on December 19, 2018, 01:39:43 am
I was talking in general. Only the top tier 1A schools would offer a challenge.  For a newer school like who we were talking about, how is a larger school like a Bentonville going to know what they are capable of?  Unless they have a track record, who knows what to expect. The point is, it is all relative and depends on each school's situation. Some schools have a stellar football program but are woeful in basketball and vice versa. And just because a school is big, doesn't mean they are any good either.

It's one thing to be competitive and have a good game even if classifications are way lopsided.  But would a 6A school gain anything by playing Mt. Judea this year?  Only getting playing time for the end of the bench.  It would be a waste of time for the starters or getting tougher for postseason.

And that is the catch 22 for many small schools. After their conference schedules, they have to look at their projected team and then try and call around and get games scheduled and then try and decide how many tournaments to play too.  Some teams may think they are too tough, others may think they are just tough enough to be a trap game and respectfully decline. Making a schedule is an inexact science, and sometimes teams back out or don't field a team because the schools are so small.  To just assume that a team isn't trying to play anyone isn't exactly fair IMHO.
I feel like any 1A school could play against a powerhouse 2-4A school every season. And I'm not just talking about playing against big schools but just playing against GOOD competition even if it's a powerhouse 1A. But they are a brand new school so I will give them the benefit of the doubt on that. Anyways, this argument is spiraling more and more away from my original argument, which I think you and I agree on lol...which is  anybody who says The New School is the best team in 1A is wrong because they don't have a track record to prove it and unless they do play some legitimate competition and beat them then it's simply irrational and illogical to even say that.

Unless people are trolling which is another possibility 😂

YSpanther

Quote from: D6Bound on December 19, 2018, 10:35:19 am

Unless people are trolling which is another possibility 😂

I think a GOOD 1A team can play with most teams in 4A. Yellville is a good 2A team this year.  Not Great, not probably destined for any final trophies, but pretty good.  We came out flat and got our clock cleaned by Jonesboro Westside, a very good 4A team that went to the finals last year I believe.  They also played Deer in that tournament and beat them by about 15 or so, versus the 40 point beatdown we received.  We just beat Deer by 18 last night, after we finally got all our football guys back and got into midseason form a month later.  The one advantage that a lot of the 1A teams have that we really didn't touch on is that many of them do not play football and a lot of them don't play baseball, or at least not regularly and some don't do track.  All they do is build a cohesive team all year long with no other distractions. 

But either that poster was trolling us or he is a strong drinker of the kool-aid.  Or he has seen them play and sees talent despite the schedule proof that the rest of us expect to be taken seriously.

Flobbito

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on December 19, 2018, 07:30:19 am
Just doing a little homework. And saw the Nevada-Dermott score. I'd atleast mention Kirby boys along with Dermott in tier 2. No "bad" losses at 16-4 with losses to 19-1 valley springs, Morrilton, Lake Hamilton, and Russellville. Not the strongest win schedule, but decent wins from what I'm seeing I'd atleast mention them near the tier 2.

Solid point Kirby does deserve consideration. I'm in no way an authority on 1A boys basketball, just follow who is hot because my school is in 1A.

501 to 870

Unless ICC has a really bad night or a key injury
, they will win 1A. They are that good.

djyungstylez

Quote from: 501 to 870 on December 19, 2018, 09:44:19 pm
Unless ICC has a really bad night or a key injury
, they will win 1A. They are that good.

Dermott will beat them on a neutral floor.

beach bum

Quote from: djyungstylez on December 19, 2018, 10:10:23 pm

The New School could beat both those teams at their place.... So they easily will on a neutral floor.

biglion1985

I am just wondering who is New School

501 to 870

Quote from: djyungstylez on December 19, 2018, 10:10:23 pm
I saw the first game! Dermott is probably better now and will get better! But ICC is better since that game too! Good luck to Dermott and the New School!

Flobbito

Quote from: beach bum on December 19, 2018, 11:45:25 pm
The New School could beat both those teams at their place.... So they easily will on a neutral floor.

I have my doubts, but they will have their chance to prove me wrong.

beach bum

Quote from: biglion1985 on December 20, 2018, 03:51:57 am
I am just wondering who is New School

It's a private school in Fayetteville sandwiched in between Sunbridge and Township ..... Maybe like a 1/4 mile off College Ave. They have been about a couple decades, but just now are getting into athletics. They have Coach Ferrell as their coach who coached at West Fork for so many years.

beach bum

Quote from: Flobbito on December 20, 2018, 06:33:15 am
I have my doubts, but they will have their chance to prove me wrong.

I am kind of semi trolling.... They're really good, but just may be in that second tier more than likely. I work across the street from there, and know some faculty at the school so I kind of turned them into my 1A school to root for.

Moonshiner

Quote from: beach bum on December 20, 2018, 09:36:26 am
I am kind of semi trolling.... They're really good, but just may be in that second tier more than likely. I work across the street from there, and know some faculty at the school so I kind of turned them into my 1A school to root for.

They have some talent, and are well coached.  However, they aren't at the level of ICC. 

BadBoyBulldog

BallHawk225

Upset on Izard County in the state championship?

Mr. Basketball

I just heard Izard County's Justus Cooper, a junior, has received a scholarship offer from D1 South Alabama.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Mr. Basketball on December 20, 2018, 05:32:08 pm
I just heard Izard County's Justus Cooper, a junior, has received a scholarship offer from D1 South Alabama.
Accorning to ICC's Twitter page they've received the same information. Congratulations to the young man!!!

beach bum

Quote from: Mr. Basketball on December 20, 2018, 05:32:08 pm

Good offer to get.... I am sure there will be many more around that level to start offering too. I always enjoy seeing these small town kids get DI offers like that.

let-it-fly

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 20, 2018, 10:13:57 am
They have some talent, and are well coached.  However, they aren't at the level of ICC.
I have seen both of them play, and ICC would win.  New School does not have anyone that could match up with Cooper.  They do have a very good guard in Ammons.

Bluekatz12

Quote from: Woodrow1 on December 17, 2018, 02:12:33 pm
The Timbo Rattlers would finish 3rd or 4th in 1A-2 District.

Not too many people know the true mascot of Timbo.....rattlers!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Bluekatz12 on December 24, 2018, 09:02:28 pm

Can't believe that made it a week without being noticed 😂😂

Woodrow1

Quote from: Bluekatz12 on December 24, 2018, 09:02:28 pm

I thought everyone knew this....  ;D

Damanman3

Shouldn't County Line be in tier 2 or 3?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas