• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difference between a P.A. Announcer and a Play-by-Play Broadcaster

Started by EagleNation, September 26, 2016, 08:14:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleNation

It seems that several schools, especially in the 5-2A, have P.A. announcers that do not know the difference between a Public Address announcer and a play-by-play broadcaster. A public address announcer is NOT supposed to talk during the play. The P.A. announcer should wait until the end of the play and give the name of the offensive player involved in the play, the defensive player involved in the play, the down and distance, and then be quiet until after the next play. Talking during the play is annoying, distracting, and at times gives an advantage to one team or another as the P.A. guy tells what is happening DURING the play. I wonder if the AAA has any rule against this. If they do not, I wish they would prohibit talking on the P.A. system during the play. 

Ventman

Play by play is for radio and tv. They should not be doing that over the loud speaker.

Rida4Life

there are a couple in the 8AA that are guilty here as well......
Hampton's guy and Strong's guy among others.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ventman on September 26, 2016, 08:48:42 am
Play by play is for radio and tv. They should not be doing that over the loud speaker.

But I need to know if the Offense is running a jet sweet to the left side, and if he doesn't scream Fumble...Then I'll never know what's going on!

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Rida4Life on September 26, 2016, 09:05:27 am

Strong's guy is BAD about it. Ours doesn't do that. He waits until after the play is over and announces who carried it/caught it. For so many yards gained/lost and what down it is.

dawgpound

Quote from: Rida4Life on September 26, 2016, 09:05:27 am
hamptons guy don't atleast not on purpose he does leave the mic on from time to time

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dawgpound on September 26, 2016, 07:32:41 pm
hamptons guy don't atleast not on purpose he does leave the mic on from time to time

I couldn hear him friday....sitting on yalls side lol

Lions84

This was discussed last hear on the Officals Forum and it against the rules.

bobthebuilder

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: EagleNation on September 26, 2016, 08:14:49 am
It seems that several schools, especially in the 5-2A, have P.A. announcers that do not know the difference between a Public Address announcer and a play-by-play broadcaster. A public address announcer is NOT supposed to talk during the play. The P.A. announcer should wait until the end of the play and give the name of the offensive player involved in the play, the defensive player involved in the play, the down and distance, and then be quiet until after the next play. Talking during the play is annoying, distracting, and at times gives an advantage to one team or another as the P.A. guy tells what is happening DURING the play. I wonder if the AAA has any rule against this. If they do not, I wish they would prohibit talking on the P.A. system during the play.

You are exactly correct. I have done PA for several years for basketball, and my job is to state the facts, NOT commentary, not play-by-play. And as much as possible, not during the play, although it is almost impossible to get finished  sometimes before the next play in basketball.  In football, it should be no problem.

Dayton Kitchens

Burson at Strong has always been one of the best.   Adding in some flamboyant commentary continually as well.

One of the opposing coaches down there at a game he lost told us once that even though he normally didn't like the announcer doing all the extra stuff that Burson was a joy to listen to.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas