• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mercy Rule

Started by DaOldRef, October 15, 2017, 08:34:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DaOldRef

I'm trying to find out what the rule is on the mercy rule is on football games.
I thought the rule was clock ran continually except timeout and injuries.
Please help. At the Maumelle vs Morrilton game the white hat stopped the clock cut on all first downs, pass incompletions and scores.

Jack1990

The clock will be stopped when: 
1) An official's time-out is called:
      a) when a first down is declared
      b) following a change of team possession
      c) to dry or change game ball
2) A charged time-out is called
3) At the end of a period
4) A score occurs

Rulesman

October 15, 2017, 09:49:54 pm #2 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:54:22 pm by Rulesman
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=152840.msg3511199#msg3511199

EDIT: Just noticed Jack1990 beat me to it. Sorry. Not trying to step on you.

To DaOldRef: Referee was correct on scores and 1st downs, but the clock does not stop on incomplete passes.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jack1990 on October 15, 2017, 08:42:58 pm
The clock will be stopped when: 
1) An official’s time-out is called:
      a) when a first down is declared
      b) following a change of team possession
      c) to dry or change game ball
2) A charged time-out is called
3) At the end of a period
4) A score occurs
Have you ever ran it this way when it wasn't the playoffs?

Jack1990

Quote from: Oldman on October 16, 2017, 01:11:34 pm
Have you ever ran it this way when it wasn't the playoffs?
No...not one time

nomorewhining

Im sure most coaches, whichever side of the rule they were on, would prefer to just let it run

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Is the sportsmanship timing rule mandatory?  What if one or more of the coaches don't agree to let it run?

Jack1990

October 17, 2017, 10:01:15 pm #7 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:05:35 pm by Jack1990
Don't believe it's an option since the word "will" is used in describing when the rule will be invoked. Otherwise it would say "may" be invoked. Just like the run rule in baseball.

Rulesman

Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on October 17, 2017, 08:51:20 pm
Is the sportsmanship timing rule mandatory?  What if one or more of the coaches don't agree to let it run?
in 2 words... "yes", and "tough."

High Voltage

Quote from: Rulesman on October 18, 2017, 03:24:11 am
in 2 words... "yes", and "tough."
Trust me, I have witnessed this rule administered in so many different ways. Most of the time it depends if the crew has a long drive and just wants to get out of there.

Adjudicator

I think most of us are guilty of not executing the sportsmanship timing rule properly.  When you have a 63-6 game everybody wants to get the heck out of there.  Had a coach (who was getting drilled) once call a timeout and said let the clock run! I can't confirm or deny if I granted his request!!  :-X

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Adjudicator on October 19, 2017, 08:53:40 am
I think most of us are guilty of not executing the sportsmanship timing rule properly.  When you have a 63-6 game everybody wants to get the heck out of there.  Had a coach (who was getting drilled) once call a timeout and said let the clock run! I can't confirm or deny if I granted his request!!  :-X
I've never seen either coach during the regular season not say let it run without stopping.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas