• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking about becoming a Ref

Started by Gray lizard, January 21, 2019, 10:41:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

How much time and money is involved in getting licensed?  I have been thinking about signing up.  I am 53 and would need to get into a little better shape. I am in better shape than several I see, but would feel better if I could move more to be in proper area to see the game.  I would want to do basketball and might consider Football. I know it does not pay a lot, but money would not be the reason If I signed up. I would assume pay would cover your expenses.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 21, 2019, 10:41:00 am
How much time and money is involved in getting licensed?  I have been thinking about signing up.  I am 53 and would need to get into a little better shape. I am in better shape than several I see, but would feel better if I could move more to be in proper area to see the game.  I would want to do basketball and might consider Football. I know it does not pay a lot, but money would not be the reason If I signed up. I would assume pay would cover your expenses.
As long as you can take the criticism that comes with it go for it.We definitely have a shortage in refs

arreferee

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 21, 2019, 10:41:00 am

If you do it right, there is a lot more time involved than money.  I don't think there is a different registration fee for new officials, but I haven't been a new official in almost 25 years.  I think the renewal fee is around $50 if you sign up on time (it's more if you miss a deadline).  That information should be on http://www.ahsaa.org/.  Your best bet is to get in touch with an official in your area to help you get started.  If you don't know any, let me know where you are in the state and I'll see if I can put you in contact with someone close to you.

I'm not sure about the shortage in basketball, but there is definitely a shortage in football and it's getting worse as many of us are getting older.

football_referee

Basketball is short on officials as well,  and the pay will not cover your expenses.  I only do football and I spend some amount of time every week working on improving my skills and knowledge.  The closer I get to the season  the more time I spend working.  As Crew Chief I make sure my crew knows the weeks assignments, make arrangements on travel, contact Schools checking on venues, dressing rooms, checking for any special events.  Then if I have a crew member get sick or has to bow out due to any numbers of reasons then I have to find a replacement notified the Assigner and schools of the change.  Then most Friday nights travel 1-2 hours 1 way to be onsite by 5:00 PM for a 7:00 PM game. Games can last anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Then after game you are on site for 30 minutes getting dressed and discussing the game, then travel  back home All for $110.00 Then for me it starts all again for me on Saturday Morning and I do this in season from week 0 to the final playoff game.  One thing is for sure I do not do it for the money I do it for the love of the game.  I admit by Thanksgiving I am tired and wore out but when the final horn blows in December I am already missing it and looking forward to next season.

I am 50 y/o and I probably have 10 maybe 15 years left on the field depending on my health. We need young blood coming in and get trained to take our place           

blue4hire

Definitely no money for a Friday night football game. The football money is made on Mondays, Thursdays and peewee Saturdays.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas