• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legal High School Football Field random thoughts.

Started by Coach Jones, November 30, 2016, 09:31:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Jones

The high school state championships will be played at WMS as usual.  This is a college field and the goal posts are considerably closer together than a high school post.  Just a thought.

If the game comes down to the wire, and lets say Charleston lines up to kick the game winning FG with one second left vs Prescott and hits the left upright and falls no good:  Obviously if the game was played on a high school goal post the kick would have been good, but in this case it would change the outcome of the game.  Would the losing team have a case since the AAA did not provide a legal HS field to play the State Championship game to change the named champion?

Of course I understand that both teams play under the same circumstances so its fair.  But shouldn't a HS state championship be played on a HS legal field?

Just a random off season thought.

RZback

That's a thought.  Here's another.  Why not play all games on neutral fields?  Eliminate any advantages you can and let the best team win.

nastynice

Your hypothetical example has happen before. Probably several times. Warren missed their first PAT in 2013, forcing them to go for and come up short on the 2 pt conversion on the next td. I can't remember how bad the PAT was missed though.

Wherever the championships are played, it needs to be in a special place for the kids.

Home field stays in playoffs, but the semi final games need to be neutral sites.

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on November 30, 2016, 09:37:56 am
That's a thought.  Here's another.  Why not play all games on neutral fields?  Eliminate any advantages you can and let the best team win.

10-0 teams deserve to play at home against 4-6 teams in the first round and 8-3 teams in the 2nd round..... You reward winning. When two teams are 1 seeds I tend to agree. In 4A, Prairie Grove and Warren are both undefeated one seeds. Maybe meet in Russellville or Conway? But I think you have to reward teams for what they did in the regular season. Playoff atmospheres are so fun for the host school and Arkansas is just small enough that travel doesn't hurt the same as in a Montana or Wyoming where you certainly have to do neutral sites.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Coach Jones on November 30, 2016, 09:31:13 am
The high school state championships will be played at WMS as usual.  This is a college field and the goal posts are considerably closer together than a high school post.  Just a thought.

If the game comes down to the wire, and lets say Charleston lines up to kick the game winning FG with one second left vs Prescott and hits the left upright and falls no good:  Obviously if the game was played on a high school goal post the kick would have been good, but in this case it would change the outcome of the game.  Would the losing team have a case since the AAA did not provide a legal HS field to play the State Championship game to change the named champion?

Of course I understand that both teams play under the same circumstances so its fair.  But shouldn't a HS state championship be played on a HS legal field?

Take a look at most goal posts, especially in the lower classifications.  Many are not regulation goal posts.

beach bum

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on November 30, 2016, 10:37:00 am
Take a look at most goal posts, especially in the lower classifications.  Many are not regulation goal posts.

That's funny cause its true, the place I watch most games now it is actually too wide. Its so wide it looks ridiculous.

RZback

Quote from: beach bum on November 30, 2016, 10:21:42 am
10-0 teams deserve to play at home against 4-6 teams in the first round and 8-3 teams in the 2nd round..... You reward winning. When two teams are 1 seeds I tend to agree. In 4A, Prairie Grove and Warren are both undefeated one seeds. Maybe meet in Russellville or Conway? But I think you have to reward teams for what they did in the regular season. Playoff atmospheres are so fun for the host school and Arkansas is just small enough that travel doesn't hurt the same as in a Montana or Wyoming where you certainly have to do neutral sites.

That's one opinion.  They do get rewarded with a #1 seed and an easier opponent.  I believe Texas does neutral sites, and that's pretty good football. One side of the state to the other can be be 6 hours or more counting stops.  I'd say that has an impact.  My reason for neutral is eliminating so much travel and giving both schools an equal shot from the venue standpoint.  But that's just another opinion.

RZback

That's one opinion.  They do get rewarded with a #1 seed and an easier opponent.  I believe Texas does neutral sites, and that's pretty good football. One side of the state to the other can be be 6 hours or more counting stops.  I'd say that has an impact.  My reason for neutral is eliminating so much travel and giving both schools an equal shot from the venue standpoint.  But that's just another opinion.

KingFootball

November 30, 2016, 12:19:41 pm #8 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:21:32 pm by KingFootball

If it comes down to Charleston vs Prescott, this scenario will never happen Coach. Charleston will be two or three scores in the lead.  They'll be in victory formation.  Now say Charleston plays the worst game of their lives Friday allowing GR to squeak by.  This would be the only way the Beavers make it to WM.  If the Tigers hand them the game.  Then your scenario could play out. Because GR would be playing from behind all night long. And I could see them missing a FG to lose in true Beaver fashion. Although it wouldn't be the goal posts fault.  The officials had it in for them I'm sure. 

SR30

How bout we just forget playing every championship game in every classification. Then send all trophies and all rings to charleston because according to them no team in any conference belongs on the field with them. I'm pretty sure they think they could beat Fayetteville by at least 34 points... that's it, cancel it all, forget all championship games, Charleston is the best Hs football team in the history of the world. 

reddiefoozball

Quote from: KingFootball on November 30, 2016, 12:19:41 pm
If it comes down to Charleston vs Prescott, this scenario will never happen Coach. Charleston will be two or three scores in the lead.  They'll be in victory formation.  Now say Charleston plays the worst game of their lives Friday allowing GR to squeak by.  This would be the only way the Beavers make it to WM.  If the Tigers hand them the game.  Then your scenario could play out. Because GR would be playing from behind all night long. And I could see them missing a FG to lose in true Beaver fashion. Although it wouldn't be the goal posts fault.  The officials had it in for them I'm sure.

what size beaver shirt should i bring you to Little Rock?

Dr. Defense

Which is why when I was coaching and we played in WMS we went for 2 each time

beach bum

Quote from: SR30 on November 30, 2016, 12:44:15 pm
How bout we just forget playing every championship game in every classification. Then send all trophies and all rings to charleston because according to them no team in any conference belongs on the field with them. I'm pretty sure they think they could beat Fayetteville by at least 34 points... that's it, cancel it all, forget all championship games, Charleston is the best Hs football team in the history of the world.

This is 100% true and the best thing I have seen you post before. You on the Tiger train too?

GBattack

Great post!! Glad you came around... lol.

freethrow

"I believe Texas does neutral sites, and that's pretty good football."

Texas has procedures in place to allow the two schools to determine for themselves the day and location of the game.

Many choose neutral sites by agreement. I have seen two schools propose different neutral sites, then a coin flip determines.

Same if they want to flip for home fields.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: freethrow on November 30, 2016, 03:55:48 pm
"I believe Texas does neutral sites, and that's pretty good football."

Texas has procedures in place to allow the two schools to determine for themselves the day and location of the game.

Many choose neutral sites by agreement. I have seen two schools propose different neutral sites, then a coin flip determines.

Same if they want to flip for home fields.

I remember one of the years Mcgehee won state the playoffs were at a neutral site. When did Arkansas stop this? Really helps on travel.

Dayton Kitchens

If I recall correctly this   very thing cost Carlisle a state title back in the 1990s.

Not much you can do about it though given both schools are fully aware of the differences going in to the game

Lineman

Quote from: Oldman on November 30, 2016, 04:00:56 pm
I remember one of the years Mcgehee won state the playoffs were at a neutral site. When did Arkansas stop this? Really helps on travel.
What really helps on travel is home field advantage. It's nice only driving 5 minutes to the field.

blueandwhite

Neutral fields are a great ides, especially when there is a 5 hour one way bus trip for one of the teams. But if you use a neutral field, whose responsible for all the things that go into a football game. Like who runs the clock, who provides the chain gangs, who runs the concession stands, who makes sure the gates are unlocked and the field is marked. You see there is more to a football game than just the two teams on the fiels

CoolBreeze

Why?

That could simply be a reward for a weak schedule. An 8-3 team could very well be much stronger than an undefeated team from a weak conference who played mediocre to weak 2A schools in the non-conference schedule.

KingFootball

KingFootball

I'm not a big Tiger fan, I just know the superior team when I see it.  And Friday I'll get to see this team in person.   The last time I watched Charleston in person was when they shedded the GR defense in the first half at WMS.  It was over after that.  I figure this game will be much the same.  But the Queen and I can't pass up such hometown hospitality as Adapteds shuttle service and preferred seating.  Fancy Schmancy in my book. 
I disagree with just crowning the Tigers and calling them champs.  I do enjoy watching someone taken to the woodshed.

beach bum

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 30, 2016, 04:47:01 pm
Why?

That could simply be a reward for a weak schedule. An 8-3 team could very well be much stronger than an undefeated team from a weak conference who played mediocre to weak 2A schools in the non-conference schedule.

I don't know anything about that weak conference issue.... The conference I follow does not have that issue. It has 3 of the 4 remaining semifinal teams.

Rulesman

Kick it down the middle and there's not a problem. Nobody complains when Hooten's games are played there, or at Razorback Stadium, or UCA, ASU, Henderson or any other college field. I've not heard Catholic High complain, either, and ALL of their home games are played there. And while I don't have my books handy, I believe there's a caveat that covers the situation to permit the college posts.

beach bum

Quote from: Rulesman on November 30, 2016, 06:43:47 pm
Kick it down the middle and there's not a problem.

Did you have selective vision when watching small classification football? Watching PAT's in 2A-4A can be like pulling teeth out.... Soccer is not popular enough yet in the south for a kid to come over in the fall and have a decent kicker at each school.

papaeagle

Agree coach.  Don't think many have thought of that in the past here on FF. Maybe Wadie Moore can get that changed at the AAA office before he retires soon ... See today's Ark Gazette about the AAA administrative changes coming up.
PapaE

OLDSCHOOL82

In regards to previous posts regarding neutral fields and travel distance.  Champions win at home and on the road.  Distance and neutrality just help set up excuses.

CapnObvious

beach bum

November 30, 2016, 08:11:54 pm #28 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:15:23 pm by beach bum
I mainly like it for the atmosphere.... It wouldn't be the same at a neutral field. Think if Charleston and Glen Rose were playing in Conway? It's going to be great in Charleston Friday. You would get a more even number of fans obviously at a neutral site though but the shear turn out sometimes for the home side it was makes it so fun. It will be the same this Friday at the game I am attending. It is the same when a team is lucky enough to host district, regionals, or state in basketball and they are in the tournament. When the host teams plays in basketball postseason it makes for the best atmospheres. That is an apples to oranges comparison, but the atmosphere is the same.

Rulesman

Quote from: beach bum on November 30, 2016, 06:53:22 pm
Did you have selective vision when watching small classification football?

It's called coaching. Those who can't coach a player to kick a ball 20 yards find excuses.

Wildcat_Booster

All 6A teams I have seen played use College regulation goal posts. So not all schools have the wide ones. FYI

ISU7

No cause both teams goal post are the same on the field. Smh 😱😷😎

thabeast428

Ha Jc won a state title by a last second field goal so guess if the kicker is good enough it shouldn't matter. Plus why even bring this up? lol it's just getting them prepared for the next level

Longfellow

Quote from: thabeast428 on December 01, 2016, 06:15:21 am
Ha Jc won a state title by a last second field goal so guess if the kicker is good enough it shouldn't matter. Plus why even bring this up? lol it's just getting them prepared for the next level
Why bring it up? It's a valid question. And preparing kids for the next level? It's not like every kid who kicks a PAT in 3A football is going to kick in college

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: thabeast428 on December 01, 2016, 06:15:21 am
Sigh, can't have a conversation without saying Junction City. THEY ARE PLAYING BASKETBALL. Goals are 10' just like in college.

thabeast428

Well considering not many teams have good kickers so ones that do will probably go play college ball, old man are u just jealous or something? If u don't wanna see Jc in conversations then don't get on here

CoolBreeze

December 01, 2016, 12:57:42 pm #36 Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:06:31 pm by CoolBreeze
Quote from: beach bum on November 30, 2016, 06:33:41 pm
I don't know anything about that weak conference issue.... The conference I follow does not have that issue. It has 3 of the 4 remaining semifinal teams.
Really? I though Newport was from the 3-3A and Charleston from the 4-3A.

Lineman

Lions84

Quote from: RZback on November 30, 2016, 10:53:10 am

Yes we do neutral sites !

athletic supporter

Did anyone else find it amusing who started this topic? Not much chance of you getting there at your present school coach. I would think you would be more worried about who to hire to get the cow patties off the field before the games

Ventman

Quote from: nastynice on November 30, 2016, 10:16:57 am
Your hypothetical example has happen before. Probably several times. Warren missed their first PAT in 2013, forcing them to go for and come up short on the 2 pt conversion on the next td. I can't remember how bad the PAT was missed though.

Wherever the championships are played, it needs to be in a special place for the kids.

Home field stays in playoffs, but the semi final games need to be neutral sites.
I agree the semis should be at a neutral sight.

WilderKat

Skip Baymore

Great thought.  And War Memorial is Way more a high school stadium now than college.  One Razorback game a year that probably wont last much longer?  I'm not sure how many other college games are played there.  Not many, whatever the number.  WMS is a great place for the state championship with its capacity and central location.  It should prob. have high school goal posts installed as regular and move the college ones in, in the few cases when a college game is actually played there now.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Skip Baymore on December 10, 2016, 12:12:11 am

Great thought.  And War Memorial is Way more a high school stadium now than college.  One Razorback game a year that probably wont last much longer?  I'm not sure how many other college games are played there.  Not many, whatever the number.  WMS is a great place for the state championship with its capacity and central location.  It should prob. have high school goal posts installed as regular and move the college ones in, in the few cases when a college game is actually played there now.
You make a lot of sense, Skip. If only someone in authority would listen.

bleudog

December 10, 2016, 04:42:42 pm #44 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:33:52 am by bleudog

Junction lost the 2006 state championship 20-19.  JC missed their first PAT (I can't remember if it would have been good with wider uprights or not).  Went for two after the next TD and failed.  Went for PAT after the third TD and made it (the third JC TD was made in the second quarter while JC had a lead).

Aren't there high school teams that regularly use WMS.  I don't understand why WMS doesn't have goal posts like the ones on the El Dorado field.  Those uprights are designed to slide in and out of the crossbar.  They are set to the wide width for the El Dorado games and slid closer together for the annual Murphy USA Boomtown classic games (Great American Conference)

Coach Jones

The posts have been a huge factor in all the games.

Rulesman

Quote from: Coach Jones on December 10, 2016, 07:29:15 pm
The posts have been a huge factor in all the games.
Every team played with the same posts. Teach 'em to kick it straight and it's not a problem. 

Made

Has this ever been brought up before on here.....I been around these parts for 10 years or so now and can't ever remember this being brought up.

bleudog

CoolBreeze

Quote from: bleudog on December 11, 2016, 06:08:37 pm

I remember playing a game back not long after I graduated from Bedrock High where we tried to flip a paper triangle through goalposts exactly like that. I've long since forgotten what we called that game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas