• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surprise team...

Started by flow51, November 28, 2016, 08:18:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flow51

Who is your surprise team of 2016? A team that exceeded expectations or one that didn't quite live up to their expectations...

Carljung

Newport has exceeded most peoples expectations I would say, and imo Osceola, Smackover and Mcgehee were kinda let downs.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Carljung on November 28, 2016, 08:49:24 pm
Newport has exceeded most peoples expectations I would say, and imo Osceola, Smackover and Mcgehee were kinda let downs.
I agree.

OB11

Quote from: Carljung on November 28, 2016, 08:49:24 pm

Yep, pretty much spot on. I also think Centerpoint did better than most thought they would. I know some had them ranked high to begin the season, but I feel like they surprised some people.

Carljung

Quote from: OB11 on November 28, 2016, 09:06:41 pm
Yep, pretty much spot on. I also think Centerpoint did better than most thought they would. I know some had them ranked high to begin the season, but I feel like they surprised some people.
I agree with that... I think people in the 5-3A knew they were gonna be salty this year, but outside of that they probably surprised some folks.

KingFootball

I think Newport exceeded expectations and my biggest flop from all the preseason hype was Lamar.  The Hounds believed that they could make it this far but not many other saw it.  As far as Lamar.  From the team they had last year until they lost their QB and him returning this season.  They choked big time.  I also thought HA would do better than they did. 

Carljung

Quote from: KingFootball on November 28, 2016, 09:16:04 pm
I think Newport exceeded expectations and my biggest flop from all the preseason hype was Lamar.  The Hounds believed that they could make it this far but not many other saw it.  As far as Lamar.  From the team they had last year until they lost their QB and him returning this season.  They choked big time.  I also thought HA would do better than they did.
I forgot about Lamar, they were so irrelevant. Your are right on that, but I think all of Hardings hype was from folks that don't know football. You don't lose 5 linemen, a Qb and a coach and not miss a beat.

Paperman

I think Osceola was way off from their predicted finish! Episcopal Collegiate suffered a terrible collapse! I think Walnut Ridge surprised some teams. Not sure but I think Lamar might have fallen short of their projected finish! Newport and Cedar Ridge were better than I thought they would be!

SR30

I think HHG came out with high expectations with Coach Calley at the helm. They started off good then just fluttered. I do see them being a force next year.

Surprise team to me was JC. They stepped up in class and kept on rolling. However I would expect newport to be right where they are beings they stepped down in class.

Carljung

Quote from: SR30 on November 28, 2016, 09:43:23 pm
I think HHG came out with high expectations with Coach Calley at the helm. They started off good then just fluttered. I do see them being a force next year.

Surprise team to me was JC. They stepped up in class and kept on rolling. However I would expect newport to be right where they are beings they stepped down in class.
I disagree with the JC comment...They thought they would never skip a beat lol. They have been 3A in size for years and finally got put where they deserve. Their days of winning championships are over. They need to settle right on in there with smackover and battle for that 2, 3 and 4 seed from the 6 from here on...

CoolBreeze

November 28, 2016, 10:43:21 pm #10 Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:45:08 pm by CoolBreeze
Quote from: Carljung on November 28, 2016, 09:19:28 pm
I forgot about Lamar, they were so irrelevant. Your are right on that, but I think all of Hardings hype was from folks that don't know football. You don't lose 5 linemen, a Qb and a coach and not miss a beat.
You're right about HA. Plus, some were going on the fact that they won it all, last year.

Their failure to have a dominant team should have surprised no one.

In fact, they probably exceeded the expectations of those who knew the facts about this team. Especially considering their 1-3 start.

BAMA#16

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 28, 2016, 10:43:21 pm
You're right about HA. Plus, some were going on the fact that they won it all, last year.

Their failure to have a dominant team should have surprised no one.

In fact, they probably exceeded the expectations of those who knew the facts about this team. Especially considering their 1-3 start.
Didn't they lose their head coach also.

BAMA#16

The biggest disappointment would go to Lamar and Mt View #1 seed and can't get out of the first round.. Newport, Atkins, and Piggot were surprises this year.

Redbug Loyal

After losing many seniors last year, including all-state running back J. Gates, Fordyce wasn't expected to accomplish much. But they won their conference for the first time since '97.  Proud of this team and this group of seniors who stepped up and led.

OB11

I would throw Piggott in there as well as a surprise team for everyone outside of the 3.  First playoff win in like 60 something years? Big step in the right direction for a program that has struggled for a long time. 

CoolBreeze

Quote from: BAMA#16 on November 28, 2016, 10:51:09 pm
Didn't they lose their head coach also.
Pretty much the entire coaching staff.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: BAMA#16 on November 28, 2016, 11:02:18 pm
The biggest disappointment would go to Lamar and Mt View #1 seed and can't get out of the first round.. Newport, Atkins, and Piggot were surprises this year.
The thread is about surprises. Few people other than Jeffy from Mtn View were surprised at their loss to a 5-seed. Countless different posters stated over and over again that they were vastly overrated. The consensus on FF was that HHG would beat them in the first round.

jay nelvin

Quote from: OB11 on November 29, 2016, 10:12:49 am
I would throw Piggott in there as well as a surprise team for everyone outside of the 3.  First playoff win in like 60 something years? Big step in the right direction for a program that has struggled for a long time.
Piggott should be really good again next year.  Wouldn't surprise me if they make a deep run next fall.

OB11

Quote from: jay nelvin on November 29, 2016, 01:42:31 pm
Piggott should be really good again next year.  Wouldn't surprise me if they make a deep run next fall.

Their coach is doing a tremendous job. 

Paperman

If you have followed Piggott for a few years you would not be shocked by their success this season! It has been building for the last two years! Coach Harrell is doing a phenominal job! The kids and community are in love with football!  It has been fun to watch the
Mohawks evolve into a contender! Well coached they play to the final whistle,

CoolBreeze

How about Bald Knob? Did anyone apart from the Bulldog faithful expect them to have the year they had and go undefeated through the regular season?

strongandsteady

I expected them to make it further than the 2nd round

dragondad#1

OK Carl...tell me why you feel JC should have been in 3A.. if you think that JC won't right the ship and get back to winning you're nuts...we won't win them all but we will win 1 at least...JC is like every other team out there, we had a down year by our standards..but overall I think we did OK our first year...I'm proud of those young men... JC will be back ...you can count on it...

thabeast428

Jc will be there next year just wait and see

Carljung

Quote from: thabeast428 on November 29, 2016, 05:49:07 pm
Jc will be there next year just wait and see
Lol...sounds familiar, and easy to say in December.

thabeast428

I'm just stating the facts! Next year u can remind me if they don't

JC Guy

Quote from: Carljung on November 28, 2016, 10:26:45 pm
I disagree with the JC comment...They thought they would never skip a beat lol. They have been 3A in size for years and finally got put where they deserve. Their days of winning championships are over. They need to settle right on in there with smackover and battle for that 2, 3 and 4 seed from the 6 from here on...
So we had three kids to many to stay in 2A and we have had 3A numbers for years? It will really surprise me if JC is not at the top contending. A lot went on with this team this year that held them back. I don't see any teams like the back to back to back 2A champs of a few years back but they should be pretty salty if they get back to the JC way.

sprained ankle

Newport Greyhounds. 2-8 in 2015---11-2 in 2016 in the state playoff semi-finals.

thabeast428

That's impressive good luck to Newport the rest of the way

jacosportsfreak

It was really no surprise.  That group has always done well.

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 29, 2016, 04:03:14 pm
How about Bald Knob? Did anyone apart from the Bulldog faithful expect them to have the year they had and go undefeated through the regular season?

GrindTime

reddiefoozball

CoolBreeze

Boomer

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 30, 2016, 04:37:37 pm
Yeah, right. [sarcasm off]
yea after all I've heard this week, Nick Saban better be lucky they play in the SEC. They would shut them down too and probably knock Jalen Hurns out of the game in about a quarter. Hardest hitting defense ever known to mankind. I'd say thats a surprise for a team who got beat in the playoffs by smack last year!!   ;D

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Boomer on November 30, 2016, 04:44:37 pm
yea after all I've heard this week, Nick Saban better be lucky they play in the SEC. They would shut them down too and probably knock Jalen Hurns out of the game in about a quarter. Hardest hitting defense ever known to mankind. I'd say thats a surprise for a team who got beat in the playoffs by smack last year!!   ;D
Funny, I thought this was a different team. Did the Tigers get to keep the same team 2 years in a row? No wonder they've won so many championships. They keep the same players, year after year. LOL.

Monsta

Correct Me If I'm Wrong But Everyone said Jc Would Not Move Up And Be A Dominant Program And They Proved That No Matter What Class They Are In They Are Going To Win Games That's The Difference Between Teams and Programs Jc Has a program not a Team

Lineman

No, your correct. 8-4 is domination of the 3A. Well our boys have a semifinal game to prepare for this Friday, so we'll talk about this, um. . . . never!!

thabeast428

Only 2 of those losses were from 3a opponents. One in conference and other in 2nd round of playoffs that most said we wouldn't even make it to. But hear me now next year is a ways away but Jc will be like Jc use to be and we will see who can stop them then! Good luck to y'all in yalls semi

ISU7

Quote from: SR30 on November 28, 2016, 09:43:23 pm

Exactly right about JC. I don't know why some praise a team that was 2-8 last season in 4A. Dropped down to 3A loses their first game of the season to 4A Gosnell yep of course they got cheated. Lol. Just saying wouldn't you expected them to do much better dropping down, than a team moving up. JMO.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: thabeast428 on December 01, 2016, 05:31:11 am
Only 2 of those losses were from 3a opponents. One in conference and other in 2nd round of playoffs that most said we wouldn't even make it to. But hear me now next year is a ways away but Jc will be like Jc use to be and we will see who can stop them then! Good luck to y'all in yalls semi
I don't remember anyone ever saying Junction City wouldn't make the playoffs. The argument was dominating 3a because it was no different than 2a.

reddiefoozball

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 30, 2016, 04:37:37 pm
Yeah, right. [sarcasm off]

I'm just saying, you went 7-4 last year :/

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Oldman on December 01, 2016, 08:03:06 am
I don't remember anyone ever saying Junction City wouldn't make the playoffs. The argument was dominating 3a because it was no different than 2a.
And one of those losses that they keep trying to exclude since it was not to a 3A team was in fact to a 2A team. And yes, I know that it was a top 2A team that JC fans keep telling me would win 3A this year. But the point is that a loss to a lower class team should not be excluded from a discussion as to how good a 3A team was. Were it a loss to a good 4A or 5A team, that would be a different story.

dragondad#1

Cool breeze JC lost to england...you feel better... England is like the JC from past teams...not your typical 2A team... But you can take how you want...we did lose to the lions...

JC Guy

Quote from: dragondad#1 on December 01, 2016, 01:59:24 pm
Cool breeze JC lost to england...you feel better... England is like the JC from past teams...not your typical 2A team... But you can take how you want...we did lose to the lions...
Agreed. We lost because they lined up and hit us in the mouth. They had no answers for JC the first quarter then our kids eased off and the Lions made adjustments to what we were doing. Second half they came out and lined up and ran it down hill at us. I would have bet money I would have never witnessed a team running up the middle on a JC team like they did. They flat out beat us.

ISU7

Quote from: sprained ankle on November 30, 2016, 06:03:01 am
Newport Greyhounds. 2-8 in 2015---11-2 in 2016 in the state playoff semi-finals.
Both losses to Mississippi County Schools 😷😎

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas