• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport at Atkins

Started by HOUND15, November 19, 2016, 08:02:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOUND15

I'm not sure where to start with this one. Great come from behind victory from the Hounds at HA last night. I don't know much about Atkins, but I do know the Hounds need to step it up on offense if they want to have any chance to get past Atkins.

SackAttack

Atkins playing veryvery well but the Dogs athleticism wins this one

Nomad1324

I'm pretty sure I was at the last Newport-Atkins game...2004 maybe???

Infamous

Quote from: Nomad1324 on November 19, 2016, 10:02:58 am
I'm pretty sure I was at the last Newport-Atkins game...2004 maybe???

Close. 2003.

I was there too.

biker_harley87

If Newport had not fumbled on the 3 yard line they would have won. The kid from Atkins that picked the ball up knew which way to go and go he did.

athletic supporter

He looked like Matt Jones running down the sideline

Heisman Pose

ChucktownTiger

Congrats to Atkins. I have to admit I didn't pick u guys but was rooting for ya. Y'all just keep fighting and pushing through. Good Luck!!!

Leo Marvin

If Newport's offense gets going, I think they win going away.  Defense is playing well!  Sophomore RB came in and gave them a spark in fourth quarter against Harding Academy.

Red Devil Dad

So what is the scoop on Newport? Run heavy? Pass heavy? Balanced?  I heard they have a good D.  Atkins will have to play better than they did in the first half against HHG. When the offense is clicking they are hard to stop but they weren't against HHG until the 4th.

Sports Guru

Infamous

Quote from: Red Devil Dad on November 20, 2016, 03:51:22 pm
So what is the scoop on Newport? Run heavy? Pass heavy? Balanced?  I heard they have a good D.  Atkins will have to play better than they did in the first half against HHG. When the offense is clicking they are hard to stop but they weren't against HHG until the 4th.

Newport is run-heavy with two 1,000 yard RBs and a third that's formidable. Although the QB has passed for over a 1,000 yards, he's only a sophomore so they'll lean on the ground game. The play calling gets too conservative at times.

Leo Marvin

Quote from: Red Devil Dad on November 20, 2016, 03:51:22 pm

Good defense.  Ball control offense.  Newport will play the field position game.  Sophomore RB gave spark in fourth quarter against Harding Academy.  It's a very young team with a good attitude and sportsmanship.  the offense will need to be better this week.

sprained ankle

Newport will compete very well in this game. Defense is really good and the offense can be good enough to win. But, no matter what the outcome is the Hounds have had a fantastic season winning 10 games after a 2-8 year in 2015. I tip my hat to the kids and coaching staff. GO HOUNDS!!!

Red Devil Dad

Atkins run defense has been solid all year.  This could be a test for them. Our Dline is smaller than some other schools we have played but they are very quick and strong. Our offense is pretty balanced, we will take what the defense gives us. This should be a great game and a good match up.

Paperman

Best wishes to the Greyhounds!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Paperman on November 23, 2016, 12:13:48 pm
Best wishes to the Greyhounds!
The "expert's [Hooten's, etc.] pick Atkins, but FFers seem to prefer Newport. Devils will have to play much better this week than they did at home against HHG or they will be bouncing a round ball come Monday.

Regardless, the winner of this game will likely become a delectable morsel next week to either a pack of hungry wolves or a horde of blood-sucking insects.

Red Devil Dad

You are very right, we did not play offense last week like we usually do.   Defense kept us in that game and the offense finally came around in the 4th.

Newport will definitely test our offense and defense. If we play like we are capable of we can win it, if not this will be a dog fight in the trenches.   

adaptedtigerfan

I'm taking Atkins in this one by 7

whippersnapper

I am thinking of driving down for this game. Would be nice to see some folks from Newport again. I say hounds by 6

pylon2pylon

Since I made a bunch of people mad by giving Harding a hard time, I'd like to take this opportunity to say, I was wrong. Newport didn't win by 18+. Harding scored 3 points on offense after a fumble in which they did not move the ball for the score. Newport's offense gave up a TD in the form of a pic. However, the offense rebounded by scoring when it mattered while harding continued to stall against the Hound defense. So while I may have been wrong in being harsh, I was also right in saying that Harding would have a hard time winning in the fashion they are use to.

Now, as far as my assessment goes with Atkins, I believe the last time Newport traveled to Atkins, there were 3 touchdowns called back (one after the extra point had been set up the ref decided there was a "hold" on previous play). Anyways, I believe this will be a tough one for both teams because there'll be 2 good defenses Friday night. I will say that if the devil's defense breaks down the first half, hounds may score a few times early. Whereas Newport's defense is solid for 4 quarters every week. Gonna be a great game! Hounds take this 21-16.

flow51

I'll take Newport by 7... 28-21?

SackAttack

sprained ankle

Game day. Glad my team is still in the hunt. Go HOUNDS

coltmom#10

Good luck, Newport! Get that win!

HOUND15

It's Gameday! Ready for the trip to Atkins tonight. Everybody be safe and .... GO HOUNDS!!

ISU7

Good luck Hounds. Represent 3-3A

KingFootball

Quote from: SackAttack on November 24, 2016, 03:47:17 pm
Newport by 1! 22-21
Do you really think it's gonna be that close?  Atkins is fortunate they are still playing this week.  Hounds roll em up by two scores.  Put it in the books. 

athletic supporter

Quote from: KingFootball on November 25, 2016, 12:19:12 pm
Do you really think it's gonna be that close?  Atkins is fortunate they are still playing this week.  Hounds roll em up by two scores.  Put it in the books. 

Fortunate to still be playing? Care to elaborate? We lost to the #1 team in 3A and to a playoff team from 4A.

BAMA#16

Apparently you don't keep up with high school football, the Red Devils are a very good team, I picked them to go as far as the semis.

The Dynasty

Newbie strikes again.

Coltfan2005

Come playoff time they just spring out of the wood work.

BAMA#16

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on November 25, 2016, 03:23:27 pm
Come playoff time they just spring out of the wood work.
I agree, good luck tonight. I've got y'all coming to Alumni field next week.

KingFootball

Fortunate you didn't go out last week.  We'll see when the game is over and you were never really in it. I'll give props to Charleston but other than that who else in that weak conference could even be considered. 

KingFootball

November 25, 2016, 04:19:38 pm #34 Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:22:45 pm by KingFootball
I agree Atkins is a better than decent team. But they beat an injured Paris team and Lamar who is the biggest disappointment in 3A.  The lack of quality opponents almost cost them last week. They better step it up if they want to stay close. 

KingFootball

Game turned out like I thought it would.  But nothing to hang your head about Atkins.  Heck of season for you young men.  Good luck to NP next week. Tough row to hoe for sure. 

Paperman

Congratulations Greyhounds

CoolBreeze

Congratulations to the Hounds. You'll have your work cut out for you next week against the Wolves.

ChucktownTiger

I just wanna say congrats to Atkins on a heck of a season and making it further than anyone thought. You guys were a blue collar, work horse type kinda team. We enjoyed playing you guys and wish you the best of luck next year. Way to represent the 4-3A. Congrats

Red Devil Dad

Thanks Chucktown wish we could have gotten a little further Newport was just the better team that night and I wish them well against Prescott.  Atkins should be pretty good again next year too.  We are losing some really good seniors but we have some talented Juniors and sophomores to take thier place.   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas