• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1A-2S District Tournament

Started by ZacAttack, February 12, 2017, 12:15:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttack

February 12, 2017, 12:15:27 pm Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:15:20 pm by ZacAttack
From the Westside High website:

Monday's Games
SG: 4:00 p.m. #5 Timbo vs. #8 Shirley
SB: 5:15 p.m. #5 Midland vs. #8 Rural Special
SG: 6:30 p.m. #6 South Side vs. #7 Bradford
SB: 7:45 p.m. #6 South Side vs. #7 Bradford

Tuesday's Games
SG: 4:00 p.m. #4 Midland vs #5 Timbo/#8 Shirley winner
SB: 5:15 p.m. #4 Westside vs #5 Midland/#8 Rural Special winner
SG: 6:30 p.m. #3 Westside vs #6 South Side/#7 Bradford winner
SB: 7:45 p.m. #3 Timbo vs #6 South Side/#7 Bradford winner

Thursday's Games
SG: 4:00 p.m. #1 Rural Special vs winner of #4 Midland vs #5 Timbo/#8 Shirley
SB: 5:15 p.m. #1 Shirley vs winner of #4 Westside vs #5 Midland/#8 Rural Special
SG: 6:30 p.m. #2 Concord vs winner of #3 Westside vs #6 South Side/#7 Bradford
SB: 7:45 p.m. #2 Concord vs winner of #3 Timbo vs #6 South Side/#7 Bradford

Saturday's Championship Games
Girls Finals at 5:00 PM
Boys Finals at 6:30 PM

ZacAttack

I believe the most interesting and entertaining First Round game will be Monday night's finale, #6 Southside vs #7 Bradford.  Both teams had some 9th graders that will probably move up and contribute, so whoever does the best job of getting the new players to gell with the older players will probably win.  Will that be enough to win the next round's game versus Timbo?  I doubt it, but it may make it just a little bit more interesting.

On the girl's side, Shirley, Rural Special, and Concord had some good 9th graders, but I doubt any from Rural Special or Concord will add much to the two top ranked girls teams.  But Shirley's girls should add some depth to their bench, but will it be enough to beat Timbo? 

HoopMan

Quote from: ZacAttack on February 12, 2017, 01:42:33 pm
I believe the most interesting and entertaining First Round game will be Monday night's finale, #6 Southside vs #7 Bradford.  Both teams had some 9th graders that will probably move up and contribute, so whoever does the best job of getting the new players to gell with the older players will probably win.  Will that be enough to win the next round's game versus Timbo?  I doubt it, but it may make it just a little bit more interesting.

On the girl's side, Shirley, Rural Special, and Concord had some good 9th graders, but I doubt any from Rural Special or Concord will add much to the two top ranked girls teams.  But Shirley's girls should add some depth to their bench, but will it be enough to beat Timbo?

I think it's possible that Shirley's girls could beat Timbo with the help from the 9th graders. Me and my wife watched Shirley and concord girls in the jr high district finals and it was a great game. Concord ended up winning by 1 but Shirley has 2 good guards and a pretty decent big girl. Not sure if they're 9th graders or not though. Also, will the finals be on Friday or Saturday? Thanks

ballmember

Finals are Saturday for District 2S.  What is interesting is district at Mt Vernon Enola ; their semifinals will be on Wednesday and finals on Friday.  Don't know how district 2S is deciding third place team, don't show a bracket.      Can watch all of 2S and then catch semifinals-wednesday and finals-friday at MVE.   3rd place starts at 4pm on Friday with 4 games.   Several tough teams at MVE.  both boys and especially girls .   

FaceInTheCrowd

In District, 3rd place is normally based on head to head during the regular season.  Pretty smart to have their finals on Friday night so that they can go scout for Regionals on Saturday night. 

ZacAttack

Quote from: FaceInTheCrowd on February 12, 2017, 05:17:51 pm
Pretty smart to have their finals on Friday night so that they can go scout for Regionals on Saturday night.
I would bet the 2 conferences got together and planned it that way.  Or atleast 1 of them had a schedule and planned their games on off days.  I think the real winner is the fans in the area; if you are willing to drive a little bit, you can catch some competitive games all week!

HoopMan

Quote from: ZacAttack on February 12, 2017, 06:15:18 pm
I would bet the 2 conferences got together and planned it that way.  Or atleast 1 of them had a schedule and planned their games on off days.  I think the real winner is the fans in the area; if you are willing to drive a little bit, you can catch some competitive games all week!

I agree!

riccoar

South Side boy's coach is a GREAT one.  Also, is the tall kid that played JH playing up or was he not a 9th grader yet?

BannerMountainMan

I talked to the Senior girls and even though they are like 2-22 they are ready to go after Timbo with all these 9th graders moving up, it's probably not likely for a win but you know anything can happen.

ZacAttack

Monday's District Tournament Games at Westside High School in Greers Ferry.
The admission gate opens an hour before the first game. Admission is $4 for adults, $3 for students. AAA passes are accepted.

SG: 4:00 p.m. #5 Timbo vs. #8 Shirley
SB: 5:15 p.m. #5 Midland vs. #8 Rural Special
SG: 6:30 p.m. #6 South Side vs. #7 Bradford

HoopMan

Quote from: riccoar on February 13, 2017, 06:27:11 am
South Side boy's coach is a GREAT one.  Also, is the tall kid that played JH playing up or was he not a 9th grader yet?

I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that this kid will be SPECIAL one of these days. I seen him play once this year and the talent and potential that the kid has is unbelievable!

riccoar

Quote from: HoopMan on February 13, 2017, 09:16:39 am
I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that this kid will be SPECIAL one of these days. I seen him play once this year and the talent and potential that the kid has is unbelievable!
Love his awareness around the basket down low.  Defensive beast on shot blocking.

Bigleague

Was your junior boys really good?   

Bigleague

HoopMan

Quote from: Bigleague on February 13, 2017, 11:03:51 am
Bee branch!!

Played in the district finals against Concord and lost by 10. They will be a fun group to watch through the years.

riccoar

Quote from: Bigleague on February 13, 2017, 11:03:51 am
Bee branch!!
Not my team.  Saw them play Westside.  SSBB coach is a former college coach and knows the game.  I would say WS had more talent than SSBB, but coaching closed the gap and SSBB nearly beat them.

HoopMan

Quote from: riccoar on February 13, 2017, 11:51:13 am
Not my team.  Saw them play Westside.  SSBB coach is a former college coach and knows the game.  I would say WS had more talent than SSBB, but coaching closed the gap and SSBB nearly beat them.

Is he really? Where did he coach at?

FaceInTheCrowd

Isn't Tim Smith coaching the boys at Southside?  I'm not sure that he's been a college coach.  I think he was the coach at Southside several years ago and then got into administration.  I heard that after Ty Glover left they didn't find another coach that they wanted to hire, so Tim stepped in. 

BannerMountainMan

Shirley up 15-6 after 1, 9th graders scoring about 10 of that

BannerMountainMan

32-15 Shirley at half! 9th graders on fire!!

HoopMan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 13, 2017, 04:35:47 pm
32-15 Shirley at half! 9th graders on fire!!

I'm honestly not surprised by this. I was just telling some friends the other day that I thought Shirley had a real chance.

BannerMountainMan

February 13, 2017, 05:00:19 pm #22 Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:10:45 pm by BannerMountainMan
Eggar screws up again leaves two best players in the 3rd quarter with 4 fouls and already fouled out now, Shirley up 43-24 starting 4th

BannerMountainMan

Shirley won 49-25, Eggar and Big Tigers big and bad senior girls got whooped by a 2-28 Devils team!

BasketballNeverStops

BasketballNeverStops

Halftime
Bee Branch-34
Bradford-13

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on February 13, 2017, 07:37:17 pm
Final
Midland-57
Rural Special-56

Heard that Bradford came back late and hit some free throws to complete the deal with little time left. 

BasketballNeverStops

February 13, 2017, 08:27:34 pm #27 Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:31:29 pm by BasketballNeverStops
Final
Girls
Bee Branch-58
Bradford-34

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 13, 2017, 05:19:18 pm
Shirley won 49-25, Eggar and Big Tigers big and bad senior girls got whooped by a 2-28 Devils team!
Whaaaat???? SHIRLEY"S senior girls beat Timbo by 20? I bet the native Tigers are boiling mad! Its a good thing there aint no MamaTiger on here. That loud grinding noise yall are hearing are the wheels falling off the Timbo train! Oh well what did ol Sack tell yall about pressure and young coaches and teams! Timbo train derailed!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: SackAttack on February 13, 2017, 09:31:08 pm
Whaaaat???? SHIRLEY"S senior girls beat Timbo by 20? I bet the native Tigers are boiling mad! Its a good thing there aint no MamaTiger on here. That loud grinding noise yall are hearing are the wheels falling off the Timbo train! Oh well what did ol Sack tell yall about pressure and young coaches and teams! Timbo train derailed!
9th graders scored about 30 of the 49 and yes the Timbo fans sat on the same side as us and it was not pretty at all, they all wanted to strangle the coach it sounded like cause he gave up at halftime...

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 13, 2017, 09:33:14 pm
9th graders scored about 30 of the 49 and yes the Timbo fans sat on the same side as us and it was not pretty at all, they all wanted to strangle the coach it sounded like cause he gave up at halftime...
What were they saying?? I couldnt make it tonight. sounds like there w ere some really good games for first rounders!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: SackAttack on February 13, 2017, 09:44:14 pm
What were they saying?? I couldnt make it tonight. sounds like there w ere some really good games for first rounders!
i can't repeat some of the things, he had his two best girls in (no. 30, no.31) in the game in the 3rd quarter with both 4 fouls and they were all yelling take them out and on back to back possessions they both fouled out, this is right after halftime.

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 13, 2017, 09:49:04 pm
i can't repeat some of the things, he had his two best girls in (no. 30, no.31) in the game in the 3rd quarter with both 4 fouls and they were all yelling take them out and on back to back possessions they both fouled out, this is right after halftime.
Thats the same thing they were doing the night I watched them play yall. Some serious grumbling for sure. Lots of folks up there dont think he knows what he is doing. At least thats what I got from the senior boys parents anyway. Cant speak for the others !Felt like the guy that was there last year was the one who had really done all the work coaching wise. Jones I believe was his name. Best players in the game with 4 fouls early in the third doesnt sound like he had a good grasp on the management aspect of the game!

ZacAttack

February 13, 2017, 11:35:54 pm #33 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:07:57 am by ZacAttack
Monday's Game Results
SG: 4:00 p.m. #5 Timbo 25 - #8 Shirley 49
SB: 5:15 p.m. #5 Midland 57 - #8 Rural Special 56
SG: 6:30 p.m. #6 South Side 58 - #7 Bradford 34

Tuesday's Games
SG: 4:00 p.m. #4 Midland vs #8 Shirley
SB: 5:15 p.m. #4 Westside vs #5 Midland
SG: 6:30 p.m. #3 Westside vs #6 South Side
SB: 7:45 p.m. #3 Timbo vs #6 South Side

HoopMan

thebigtiger

Quote from: SackAttack on February 13, 2017, 09:53:58 pm
Thats the same thing they were doing the night I watched them play yall. Some serious grumbling for sure. Lots of folks up there dont think he knows what he is doing. At least thats what I got from the senior boys parents anyway. Cant speak for the others !Felt like the guy that was there last year was the one who had really done all the work coaching wise. Jones I believe was his name. Best players in the game with 4 fouls early in the third doesnt sound like he had a good grasp on the management aspect of the game!
Sack I do not value your opinion at all!  Let me tell everyone something here!  If the fans would be behind the coach like they were earlier in the year things might have went a little bit different.  All the constant griping and screaming at the kids and the coach prob doesn't help any situation.  Refs haven't liked our coach since the start because he is young.  It's all good though we have the 2nd best Sr Boys team in this tournament should've been the #2 seed but obviously coaches are against us too.  Like I've said before everyone is against us!  We are here to prove a point and we will!
Fired up Coach Edgar, fired up players and fired up fans!
Don't count us out just yet!

BannerMountainMan

Rise and shine! We are ready to get that upset over Midland!! Senior boys are pumped for the game tonight as we cheer on the night Lady Blue Devils! Never been excited for one of their games!!

riccoar

Quote from: FaceInTheCrowd on February 13, 2017, 01:15:39 pm
Isn't Tim Smith coaching the boys at Southside?  I'm not sure that he's been a college coach.  I think he was the coach at Southside several years ago and then got into administration.  I heard that after Ty Glover left they didn't find another coach that they wanted to hire, so Tim stepped in.
Tim was an assistant coach under Eric Bozeman at Henderson State University.

riccoar

Quote from: HoopMan on February 13, 2017, 01:11:43 pm
Is he really? Where did he coach at?
Assistant coach at Henderson State University in the mid 90's.  I want to say he was associate head or the equivalent under Bozeman.  He knows his basketball and is definitely an asset.

Mr. Pappagiorgio

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 14, 2017, 07:34:57 am
Rise and shine! We are ready to get that upset over Midland!! Senior boys are pumped for the game tonight as we cheer on the night Lady Blue Devils! Never been excited for one of their games!!
How is Midland this year? How did ya'll do against them during season?

SackAttack

Quote from: thebigtiger on February 14, 2017, 07:22:22 am
Sack I do not value your opinion at all!  Let me tell everyone something here!  If the fans would be behind the coach like they were earlier in the year things might have went a little bit different.  All the constant griping and screaming at the kids and the coach prob doesn't help any situation.  Refs haven't liked our coach since the start because he is young.  It's all good though we have the 2nd best Sr Boys team in this tournament should've been the #2 seed but obviously coaches are against us too.  Like I've said before everyone is against us!  We are here to prove a point and we will!
Mr. Tig early on I was on your side but pressure seemed to get in the way. Its part of a grueling learning process. Pride and strong opinions wont win you many of us casual fans. In my opinion it is very hard to hold others accountable when you dont hold your self accountable first. Cant be blaming others(coaches refs fans and your own players) for your own rookie mistakes of preparation and game management. Im reminded of that old Depression Era song. Dig A Little Deeper
Maybe youve heard it. Chorus-----
Dig a Little Deeper In the Well Son
Dig a Little Deeper IN The Well
When Things Get Tough And Things Get Hard
Ya Gotta Dig A Little Deeper In The Well

HoopMan

Quote from: thebigtiger on February 14, 2017, 07:22:22 am

uhhhh... that's not how that works buddy. good try

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Mr. Pappagiorgio on February 14, 2017, 09:30:04 am
lost to em by 30, but we also lost to Timbo by 30 both times we played em and we beat them bad, whole different team now, remember 4 9th graders started last night

ZacAttack

February 14, 2017, 10:22:41 am #44 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:49:54 am by ZacAttack
Quote from: Mr. Pappagiorgio on February 14, 2017, 09:30:04 am
Looking on MaxPreps, Midland won at Shirley by 20, then won at home by 40.  Saw the Blue Devils beat Timbo last night and was amazed how well the freshmen played.  Especially after the collapse in the Jr District championship against Concord on Saturday.  Not sure what kind of effect the 9th grades will have tonight, but I would guess the game will be closer than the previous two.

Banner, I believe you have some incorrect info.  The 9th graders didn't start, BUT they came in very early in the game.  And Timbo only beat Shirley by 10 in the previous game, so yesterday's win was that surprising.  But 25 point victory was impressive!

bball2015

Are the 1A-2S district tournament games being lived streamed by chance?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: ZacAttack on February 14, 2017, 10:22:41 am
Looking on MaxPreps, Midland won at Shirley by 20, then won at home by 40.  Saw the Blue Devils beat Timbo last night and was amazed how well the freshmen played.  Especially after the collapse in the Jr District championship against Concord on Saturday.  Not sure what kind of effect the 9th grades will have tonight, but I would guess the game will be closer than the previous two.

Banner, I believe you have some incorrect info.  The 9th graders didn't start, BUT they came in very early in the game.  And Timbo only beat Shirley by 10 in the previous game, so yesterday's win was that surprising.  But 25 point victory was impressive!
got mixed up, we lose to everybody by 30 sooo

BannerMountainMan

SackAttack

News  flash!! Sack is in the house. Top row Popcorn and coke--Check
House shoes--check yes I said house shoes
Chewing tobacco--check
Nobody sitting in front of me--check
Make America Great Again ball cap ---check.
Lets play ball. And Ill most likely go have a smoke or two with the Timbo fans at halftime. Should be interesting!! Does everybody in Timbo smoke unfiltered?? Hope the rest of the games are entertaining. First one was not!

BannerChaser95

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 14, 2017, 05:33:18 pm
Shirley lost by 12 to Midland
Means they're out and midland quailifies for regionals correct? Is that with all games tonight?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas