• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-2A Picks Week 10

Started by stuck in between, October 28, 2018, 09:23:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stuck in between

Once again I went 3-4 last week seems as though I have had trouble all year picking the close games. With a huge matchup taking place in Foreman's swamp this upcoming Friday night maybe I'll get that one right. Just as that one will determine the #1 seed there will be another good game to decide the 5th seed. Here is a quick rundown of where the 7-2A sits going into the last week.

Dierks - Has two conference wins will play Murfreesboro at home winner will have three wins and will get the 5th seed.

Foreman- Has 5 conference victories. Will play Gurdon at home. Winner will get the #1 seed loser will get the #2 (if Foreman looses and both Mount Ida and Mineral wins all will have two losses, but Mineral will drop out due to tie breaker points and Foreman has head to head over Ida)

Gurdon - 6 conference wins another win at Foreman gives them the outright conference title along with the #1 seed. A loss will give them a share of the title and the #2 seed. Due to head to head competition.

Lafayette County - win or lose to Mount Ida they are out of playoff contention

Mineral Springs - 4 conference wins. Regardless of their outcome with Spring Hill the Hornets have the 4 seed sewed up. If Ida stumbles against L.C. and Mineral wins they will get the three due to having one more conference victory than Ida.

Mount Ida - 4 conference wins. A win against Lafayette County puts them at the three spot. A loss and a Mineral win puts them at the four. If both them and Mineral lose Mount Ida gets the three die to head to head.

Murfreesboro - 2 conference wins. As stated above. If they beat Dierks they get the five seed if they lose Dierks gets it.

Spring Hill - 0 conference wins. The outcome of their game with Mineral Springs is irrelevant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Easy games first:
Mount Ida Vs. Lafayette County - For the first time since 2014 the Lions are not king of the 7-2A. As talented and disciplined as the Lions are they really missed the play of their previous two year's O- line. They were still able to run over most, but struggled against the more physical teams. Their defense has still been tough to score on having given up only 7.9 points per game. The Cougars are one game away from the hard wood and are probably as interested in making the bus ride to Mount Ida as I am with the latest season of Dancing With The Stars. I do not think L.C. will be physical enough to stop the dive. The biggest question is will LaGrange play. That will determine the margin of victory. This one shouldn't be much of a cat fight. Mount Ida by 21.

Mineral @ Spring Hill - The Hornets are as hot as anyone right now. Having won 4 in a row by scoring over 50 points in 3 out of those wins including knocking off #1 ranked Foreman. The Bears have struggled on both sides of the ball this year. With one lone win against Genoa. I think the Hornets cruise to a easy victory. M.S. by 30.

Murfreesboro @ Dierks - I'm not sure there is a winner in this game. The loser starts basketball while the winner gets to make a cross state trip to more than likely get mercy ruled the following week. I suppose for whichever team that wins a trip to the playoffs would be a much needed shot in the arm and could help rejuvenate a program that saw it's worst season in years last in 2017. The Rattlers did not look bad on offense last week. I can see where their schemes could give a team with equal talent the fits. Their biggest problem is defense or lack thereof having given up an average of 54 points in their 6 losses. The Outlaws have managed to win 2 of their last 3 and should have some confidence building. Having averaged 41 points in those two games they have had no trouble finding the end zone. This isn't good news for the Smurf's Swiss cheese defense. This is a huge rivalry game that could go either way. Since I must pick a winner I will go with the Rattlers by 1. Don't bet your house on that prediction.

Foreman Vs. Gurdon - After two dismal years in 3-A the Go-Devils have returned and picked up where they left off in the 7-2A. One loss to class 4-A Haskell is the only blemish on otherwise a perfect record. Pulling off a win and holding Mount Ida to a season low six points has garnished the respect of many in the 2-A community. The Gators pitched their 5th shutout of the season last Friday against Murfreesboro and have only allowed 27 points in their last 7 games. While Gurdon is playing with a chip on their shoulders Foreman will be out to prove when healthy you would be hard pressed to find a better team. Both teams and coaching staffs know what is riding on this one. While I am not sure every player on the Gator's team is 100% I believe that the ones who are will be too much for the Go-Devils. Playing in the swamp never hurts. Taking the Gators in a 4th quarter victory by 6.

IdaLions

oh it hurts to not see Mount Ida win conference! Great teams in the 7-2A this year. Hopefully Lagrange isn't to banged up. Mount Ida is going through a lot right now and I don't see them being in the playoffs for long. Hope that Foreman, Gurdon, Mineral, and Smurfs/Dierks can show out!

72aDaddy

HORNET-MAN

I agree with all of them..Except I'm taking Gurdon by 7

BLUEBLOOD

Here's my attempt at picking week 10

Dierks by 3 over Murfreesboro.  I'm well aware that the road team generally prevails in this rivalry, but I think the Outlaws have gotten much better at taking care of the football and play a style that eats up the clock.  Murfreesboro runs an offense that is feast or famine.  The Outlaws moved up a couple of freshmen that will help keep fresh legs in the game.  If the Rattlers can have success in the passing game, they could definitely blow my prediction.

MI over Laf County by as many as they want.  Probably won't run the score up, but will try to rest their key players to get ready for a deep playoff run.

MS over Springhill by as many as they want.  The Bears don't have the horses.  Bears will be playing basketball on Monday.

Foreman vs Gurdon:  for all the marbles.  It will be tough for Gurdon to get a win on the road at the home of the defending state champs.  However, Gurdon matches up better than any other team in 7-2A with the Gators IMO.  They are physical up front and have the speed to match up on the back end.  Batey will once again be the fastest kid on the field, but not by the margin he is in most other weeks.  I expect this to be a barn-burner, but I think the Gators win at home by 2.

Final Standings in 7-2A if I'm correct:

1.  Foreman
2.  Gurdon
3.  MI
4.  MS
5.  Dierks

panther07

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on October 29, 2018, 09:14:05 am
Here's my attempt at picking week 10

Dierks by 3 over Murfreesboro.  I'm well aware that the road team generally prevails in this rivalry, but I think the Outlaws have gotten much better at taking care of the football and play a style that eats up the clock.  Murfreesboro runs an offense that is feast or famine.  The Outlaws moved up a couple of freshmen that will help keep fresh legs in the game.  If the Rattlers can have success in the passing game, they could definitely blow my prediction.

MI over Laf County by as many as they want.  Probably won't run the score up, but will try to rest their key players to get ready for a deep playoff run.

MS over Springhill by as many as they want.  The Bears don't have the horses.  Bears will be playing basketball on Monday.

Foreman vs Gurdon:  for all the marbles.  It will be tough for Gurdon to get a win on the road at the home of the defending state champs.  However, Gurdon matches up better than any other team in 7-2A with the Gators IMO.  They are physical up front and have the speed to match up on the back end.  Batey will once again be the fastest kid on the field, but not by the margin he is in most other weeks.  I expect this to be a barn-burner, but I think the Gators win at home by 2.

Final Standings in 7-2A if I'm correct:

1.  Foreman
2.  Gurdon
3.  MI
4.  MS
5.  Dierks

Crazy how far Murfreesboro and Dierks have fallen.

72aDaddy

Quote from: panther07 on October 29, 2018, 11:18:38 am
Dierks, yes. But they will be back to at least competing. That community is too prideful not to. Murfreesboro, not really. That football program has been in a downward special going on decades.

panther07

Quote from: 72aDaddy on October 29, 2018, 11:47:22 am
Dierks, yes. But they will be back to at least competing. That community is too prideful not to. Murfreesboro, not really. That football program has been in a downward special going on decades.

I think you're off track there a bit. Decades, meaning plural, is so so so far from true. They ran the 7a west in the 90's. They were bad from from 2002 until 2006. 2007-2011, they were really good. Won the league in 2009 I believe. 2008 they were a top 3 team in the state. I don't think what you're saying is true regarding Murfreesboro and the last several decades.

72aDaddy

Quote from: panther07 on October 29, 2018, 11:50:02 am
I think you're off track there a bit. Decades, meaning plural, is so so so far from true. They ran the 7a west in the 90's. They were bad from from 2002 until 2006. 2007-2011, they were really good. Won the league in 2009 I believe. 2008 they were a top 3 team in the state. I don't think what you're saying is true regarding Murfreesboro and the last several decades.
They have had blips of success over the last 20 years, for sure. Thr trajectory of the program over that time frame has been downward IMO.

Ole Man River

Well OMR was 4-0 last week and 10-1 on the year.  This week it's all or nothing week.  Mineral Springs vs Spring Hill——the Hornets by 28.  Mt. Ida vs L.C.——the Lions by 27.  Murfressboro vs Dierks—— the Outlaws by 2.  The 7-2A Game of the Week.  Gurdon vs Foreman—— the Gators by 4.  OMR OUT

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: panther07 on October 29, 2018, 11:18:38 am

I'm a Dierks fan, but I'm not defensive about your statement:  I agree with you they are both down right now.  My point is that I think if you do your research on MOST 2a & 3a programs, you will find that it is very cyclical.  7-2A teams are no different.  Yes Dierks & Murfreesboro are down, but 2 years ago they played in week 10 and the Rattlers knocked Dierks out of a conference championship.  It is not that often that both programs are down at the same time but it happens.

IdaLions

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on October 29, 2018, 02:01:10 pm
I'm a Dierks fan, but I'm not defensive about your statement:  I agree with you they are both down right now.  My point is that I think if you do your research on MOST 2a & 3a programs, you will find that it is very cyclical.  7-2A teams are no different.  Yes Dierks & Murfreesboro are down, but 2 years ago they played in week 10 and the Rattlers knocked Dierks out of a conference championship.  It is not that often that both programs are down at the same time but it happens.

That was a crazy game, honestly Mount Ida can thank the Smurfs for the 1 seed in 2016. They somehow went on to beat Foreman and Dierks in week 9 and week 10

BLUEBLOOD

Well Thursday games went as I predicted. 

The Dierks/Murf game was closer than the final score.  The real difference in the game was Dierks' ability to hold the ball.  They controlled the clock and kept the Murf defense on the field for 75% of the game.  Neither team gave up and it lived up to the rivalry game that many predicted. 

MI and MS both won easily and are ready for the playoffs.  MS has to be the strongest 4 seed in the bracket with weapons all over the field.

Should be a big showdown in Little River county tonight.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas