• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So how did Kelley's vaunted strategy of not punting and onside kicking work out?

Started by Dudeness, November 25, 2012, 12:26:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pantherblue

I grew up around PA so know all about them.  Never give any of it a second thought.

Coach Kelley is doing it the right way (hard work).  And it seems like people want to throw excuses at his success.
In non-conference he takes on anyone.  And makes NO excuse if his team does not win.
He is a Great Coach and an even better man, husband and dad.

P.F.G.

Lionheart88

Quote from: #5 on November 26, 2012, 07:32:50 pm
Who?...  Public schools are close enough in proximity that a kid has choices, especially, if a School has "Magnet" in front of it's name.  In that case the school district will provide transportation.  In other situations, has the AAA done away with "school of choice"?  Where a student can attend anywhere they want, as long s they provide their own transportation?
School choice was a lot more restrictive than that, and last I heard was struck down back in may or so.  The rest of your post might hold in Pulaski County, but in the large majority of the state a kid goes to the school they live in the district of, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

You must not have read the post about El Dorado and Hot Springs and the Garland County area. These are just two.  If I wanted to stir the pot, Fort Smith Southside, Greenwood and Bentonville.  If you think that Pulaski Academy is not under a AAA "microscope" you're a fool.

Lionheart88

I have a hard time believing folks can just transfer to LHHS without moving to the district.  As for El Dorado, encouraging folks to come live in your district is vastly different from not having a district.  Most parents look at the pros and cons of area school districts when they decide where to live.  It's why I grew up in White Hall when mom was a Chapel grad teaching at Robey, and dad was a Dollarway grad.  El Dorado can't have kids that live in other districts come play for them, they're still dependent on the parents ability to pull up roots and relocate, which is hardly easy in this economy.  It's far easier to change schools when a kids parents don't have to worry about selling one house and buying another.

pantherblue

There is enough money floating sround the student parking lot at PA to own the AAA.   LOL

Wonderdog

Quote from: Dudeness on November 25, 2012, 03:59:35 pm
My theory is that Kelley's strategy works because his teams are more talented than their opponents 95% of the time. Against an equal or superior opponent, his glorious system will get mixed results at best.

In particular I'm referring to his refusal to punt even when deep in his own territory with 10+ yards to go. It's incredibly cocky and only works when your team is clearly better than your opponent.
agreed and +1

Wonderdog

Quote from: gatecrasher on November 25, 2012, 07:37:42 pm
Considering Kevin Kelley wins at about a 90% clip, and has two state championships to his credit, his system works.

He went 10-3 in a rebuilding year. Just sayin.
this may be the first time i have ever given you a clap partycrasher

Wonderdog

Quote from: boaz34 on November 25, 2012, 07:49:44 pm
P.A. Got beat by a better team Friday night. I can tell there is not a better coach in Arkansas then Kevin Kelley. What's funny is that you all can get on here and say that he recruit, but you can not prove it. That's really sad that people can not just give the man and his staff credit for being great coaches. Them boys work very hard in Temps during the summer that some of you would say its crazy, because that is what you have to do to contend for a state championship. Batesville,  is a great team, good luck to them and also good luck to CF. Kevin Kelley is a great Man a lot of people don't like him, but that is OK you have to give him respect that is due to him. He had 6 kids that signed D1 scholarship last year, and still made to the semifinal this year. Pulaski Academy got the best Head Coach in the state and coaching staff. So just keep on bad mouthing P.A. IT just proves that you want to be part of a great Tradition...He teaches them Boys how to be men and how to be responsible for there actions, so all of you people that thinks he is a Bad person, get to know the man first. Not just what you see on Friday nights.  Good luck to both teams.
i think rick jones surpasses kevin kelley easily. and trust me i am the furthest thing from being a greenwood fan. but it is a fact

Wonderdog

P.A. Got beat by a better team Friday night. I can tell there is not a better coach in Arkansas then Kevin Kelley. What's funny is that you all can get on here and say that he recruit, but you can not prove it. That's really sad that people can not just give the man and his staff credit for being great coaches. Them boys work very hard in Temps during the summer that some of you would say its crazy, because that is what you have to do to contend for a state championship. Batesville,  is a great team, good luck to them and also good luck to CF. Kevin Kelley is a great Man a lot of people don't like him, but that is OK you have to give him respect that is due to him. He had 6 kids that signed D1 scholarship last year, and still made to the semifinal this year. Pulaski Academy got the best Head Coach in the state and coaching staff. So just keep on bad mouthing P.A. IT just proves that you want to be part of a great Tradition...He teaches them Boys how to be men and how to be responsible for there actions, so all of you people that thinks he is a Bad person, get to know the man first. Not just what you see on Friday nights.  Good luck to both teams.
in response to this insight in its entirety, i do not think that people have any kind of personal issue with kelley as a person. or as a coach for that matter. i certainly dont. he wins football games with his team. that is what he is supposed to do and he does just that. however, i do believe private institutions recruit. i do not know for a fact that they do, but i think it happens. kelley may be one of the greatest men to educate young men in arkansas in quite some time. he is not judged based off of peoples thoughts on the recruiting process, after all regardless of whether he recruits or not he gets young men to the next level, and that is one thing that i definately do admire. for the record i am not a PA at all. i am against the whole private school thing.

User870

I don't think it's that bad of a strategy.  Especially against Batesville.  If he punts from his own 10 yard line, Batesville gets the ball at roughly the 50?  The chances of Batesville scoring with the way they were playing from the 50 are almost as good as they would be from the 10.  You may not agree, but that's my thought.  So, yes, going for it on 4th down to try to keep the drive alive isn't that bad.  Plus, if they score in a couple plays from 10 yards out then it doesn't eat off near as much of the clock as a 8 play 50 yard drive that would  end with the same result.  Now, if you have a great defense, this theory gets thrown away.  But PA doesn't.

gatecrasher

I was the one who miscounted Kelley's state titles.

My bad....

Oh....if you're saying El Dorado recruits, prove it. The El Dorado Promise doesn't fall into that category.

McClellanLion

Quote from: The Future on November 26, 2012, 01:52:20 pm
Quote from: #5 on November 26, 2012, 01:12:45 pm
Coach Kelley ha won THREE State Champuonships (2003, 2008 & 2011).  He has been in the Semi-Finals eight of his ten years as the Head Coach of the Bruins.  I'm not sure how many times he has been to the Championship game and lost.  The ONLY Banners that hag in the Gym are State Championships.  I know without a doubt he builds Great Men, Husbands & Fathers

Sounds like a great guy. Maybe if you ask him, he could give you a dictionary or lessons on how to type. Seriously though. Were you just so excited to get out your post that you didn't look to see what you put? Or is that how they teach 'Murican English at PA? LOL

While we are correcting people for grammar mistakes " Seriously though. " is not a sentence. It should be Seriously though, were you ....
"If the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If the facts are against you, argue grammar."

Wonderdog

Quote from: pantherblue on November 26, 2012, 08:51:26 pm
There is enough money floating sround the student parking lot at PA to own the AAA.   LOL
mean, but funny lol

Wonderdog

Quote from: User870 on November 26, 2012, 10:11:36 pm
I don't think it's that bad of a strategy.  Especially against Batesville.  If he punts from his own 10 yard line, Batesville gets the ball at roughly the 50?  The chances of Batesville scoring with the way they were playing from the 50 are almost as good as they would be from the 10.  You may not agree, but that's my thought.  So, yes, going for it on 4th down to try to keep the drive alive isn't that bad.  Plus, if they score in a couple plays from 10 yards out then it doesn't eat off near as much of the clock as a 8 play 50 yard drive that would  end with the same result.  Now, if you have a great defense, this theory gets thrown away.  But PA doesn't.
interesting thought process...i agree. if a team is tearing it up on offense, then why put if you are inside your own ten with a high powered offense? however, if the defense was going strong just as user870 said, then you may have a different story

The fact that Coach Kelley's teams have had many D1 players is s testimony to his expectations in the classroom as well as the weight room and football field.  His commitment to his players to give them every opportunity possible.  On the other hand, Many successful coaches like to say "I won with no D1 players."  On multiple occasions Coach Kelley has talked to U of A coaches on behalf of two players (Def. Back, D. Winston and QB, T. Wilson).  That is two that I know about that tell you what kind of man Pulaski Academy has in Coach Kelley.

johnharrison

Quote from: Lionheart88 on November 26, 2012, 08:49:55 pm
I have a hard time believing folks can just transfer to LHHS without moving to the district.  As for El Dorado, encouraging folks to come live in your district is vastly different from not having a district.  Most parents look at the pros and cons of area school districts when they decide where to live.  It's why I grew up in White Hall when mom was a Chapel grad teaching at Robey, and dad was a Dollarway grad.  El Dorado can't have kids that live in other districts come play for them, they're still dependent on the parents ability to pull up roots and relocate, which is hardly easy in this economy.  It's far easier to change schools when a kids parents don't have to worry about selling one house and buying another.

One example.  A senior baseball player for Dierks practiced with the team all year and on Monday.  Tuesday he "moved" to a mobile home in the Nashville school district.  Played Wednesday for the Scrappers.  Won a State Championship.  "Moved" back to Dierks 8 weeks later.

Recruiting (inappropriate transfers) happens on a regular basis in public schools.  Their advantage is that they don't have to say, "Oh, you need to write US a check for $12,000". 

Yes, not punting works better when you are the better team.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: Lionheart88 on November 26, 2012, 07:14:33 pm
No one's paying for a kid's family to move into a school district.  That's just silly.  That's why you don't hear much talk of public schools recruiting.  Acting like no one has ever had help going to PA because someone thought they showed promise in a sport, any sport, is just as silly.  Even if Kelly isn't out making phone calls to promising young middle schoolers, PA takes applications.  You're telling me no one's ever said, or even thought, "Hey, this kid has talent, make sure his application goes through"?  That stuff happens anywhere applications are being taken.  More promising folks (whether it's athletics, academics, who they're related to, whatever) gets bumped ahead of people who, but for that one characteristic, would have had an equal shot.

Also, the reason people don't talk about LRCA, CAC, Catholic/Mount St. Mary's etc is that this is the football section.  Scroll down to the soccer pages and see how that changes.
That's basically what I was trying to say. +1

C-Mac 73

Quote from: RD on November 26, 2012, 07:40:31 pm
Quote from: C-Mac 73 on November 26, 2012, 02:55:54 pm
And THE Padre... forgot about him  ;D
hey hey, not feeling the love here.
And RD... Sorry I forgot you  ;)
Okay, so I like three people from Greenwood. The rest are all bad.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on November 26, 2012, 09:48:56 pm
i think rick jones surpasses kevin kelley easily. and trust me i am the furthest thing from being a greenwood fan. but it is a fact
I agree with that.

C-Mac 73

#5 no disrespect intended at all by this, but just wondering... are you like Coach Kelley's son or something? You seem to really like the guy. Are you a PA fan?

User870

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on November 27, 2012, 08:34:51 am

That's way too many.  Just because RD said something you don't have to lie to him C-Mac.

C-Mac 73

Quote from: User870 on November 27, 2012, 09:02:59 am
Quote from: C-Mac 73 on November 27, 2012, 08:34:51 am

That's way too many.  Just because RD said something you don't have to lie to him C-Mac.
Ah, he seems like a decent guy. Lol

RD™

C-Mac 73

CIA

I used to play that strategy on Madden football before Kelly did at PA.  I always said they would fire me as a coach in a hurry if I tried that in real life.  In Madden you could always press "exit game" when things got out of control.  There was no reset button Friday.  A better team beats the "system" most of the time. "System" players dont pan out for the most part in college.  College "system" players dont pan out in the NFL for the most part.  I agree that superior talent allows a "system" to work.  If you have superior talent you can run just about any offense you want and be succesful. 
I understand he has to be married to his system.  If he changes for a game or situation then it loses its credibility.  Win or lose I respect his committment.  If he doesnt committ how can he expect his kids to buy in?

Mojorama

Quote from: johnharrison on November 27, 2012, 08:11:42 am

Recruiting (inappropriate transfers) happens on a regular basis in public schools.  Their advantage is that they don't have to say, "Oh, you need to write US a check for $12,000". 

Exactly. Who has an extra $1000 a month laying around for tuition so their kid can play football at PA? I gladly pay that for the academics since my kid wants to be a scientist but if it were about football, I'd just drive a really nice car instead. A really really nice car.

pantherblue

Quote from: Mojorama on November 29, 2012, 11:43:51 am

Exactly. Who has an extra $1000 a month laying around for tuition so their kid can play football at PA? I gladly pay that for the academics since my kid wants to be a scientist but if it were about football, I'd just drive a really nice car instead. A really really nice car.

If your kid was really good at football, you could still be driving that really really nice car while he's playing at PA.....

boaz34

TTofGreenwood

Quote from: #5 on November 26, 2012, 08:40:43 pm
You must not have read the post about El Dorado and Hot Springs and the Garland County area. These are just two.  If I wanted to stir the pot, Fort Smith Southside, Greenwood and Bentonville.  If you think that Pulaski Academy is not under a AAA "microscope" you're a fool.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! We don't recruit, we just don't count most of our students!   ;D

photographer

Quote from: pantherblue on November 29, 2012, 11:52:37 am
Quote from: Mojorama on November 29, 2012, 11:43:51 am

If your kid was really good at football, you could still be driving that really really nice car while he's playing at PA.....

Nope I would send him to North Little Rock

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas