• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski academy 5-peat?

Started by PAguy2008, October 22, 2018, 09:29:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PAguy2008

Honestly, I think PA is going to win the 5 peat. What do you think?

DerekOxford

Yeah. Arkansas High and Harrison both have really good teams, but I don't think either of them have enough in the tank to take down PA.

Brian G

PA is headed for 10 in a row.  Just write it down.

incogneto

Quote from: B.G. on October 22, 2018, 09:36:46 pm
PA is headed for 10 in a row.  Just write it down.
You just did.

PA Bruin Fan

I'd say PA has a chance, but there are teams that can beat them.  The team needs to play more consistent. 

Overdahill

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on October 23, 2018, 06:27:23 am
I'd say PA has a chance, but there are teams that can beat them.  The team needs to play more consistent.

^^ Agree

Sasquatch71

I have a feeling that what is shaping up to be the State Semi Final should be the Final between PA and Harrison.  I think Harrison is good enough on D this year to not only hang with but also knock off PA.

Go Postal

Quote from: DerekOxford on October 22, 2018, 09:32:31 pm
Yeah. Arkansas High and Harrison both have really good teams, but I don't think either of them have enough in the tank to take down PA.
I was thinking the same thing about PA.  You know that both teams starters have only played half games mostly this year.  LOL

HeberFan

Quote from: Go Postal on October 23, 2018, 09:24:57 am
I was thinking the same thing about PA.  You know that both teams starters have only played half games mostly this year.  LOL

Yeah, so maybe both teams should pull their starters in the FIRST half, and get practice, playing late in the game?  Now that's some strategy.

Gravelbar

Why is PA still in 5A then if it's going to be 5 or 10 in a row?  Does this make sense to anyone?  Obviously, there is a problem with the classification when this happens for any team...I'm not downing PA at all, and I bet most players, coaches, and parents would agree there needs to be a classification tweak.  However, that subject has been beat into submission on here and across the state, but no one that can remedy the situation is listening.  It's getting old to all involved--except AAA.

HeberFan

Quote from: Gravelbar on October 23, 2018, 10:03:44 am
Why is PA still in 5A then if it's going to be 5 or 10 in a row?  Does this make sense to anyone?  Obviously, there is a problem with the classification when this happens for any team...I'm not downing PA at all, and I bet most players, coaches, and parents would agree there needs to be a classification tweak.  However, that subject has been beat into submission on here and across the state, but no one that can remedy the situation is listening.  It's getting old to all involved--except AAA.

Because, water boy, classification is mostly determined by the size of the student body. From what I understand, PA is actually playing a bit "up" based on student population. As far as "getting old" to win so much, guess people also used to say that about Arkansas' track program and currently say that about Alabama's football program. I think what you mean is that it gets old when your team doesn't win?

AHS06

Quote from: Go Postal on October 23, 2018, 09:24:57 am
I would say PA starters played the entire game against Parkway.  I don't believe Harrison has been tested this entire season looking at their schedule.

JessieP

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 10:09:12 am
Because, water boy, classification is mostly determined by the size of the student body. From what I understand, PA is actually playing a bit "up" based on student population. As far as "getting old" to win so much, guess people also used to say that about Arkansas' track program and currently say that about Alabama's football program. I think what you mean is that it gets old when your team doesn't win?

Two points you're missing here. First, Arkansas track and Alabama football are both champions at the highest level possible for college. They compete in Division 1. South Dakota State is a dynasty in D2 football. No one ever proclaims them the best football team in the Nation. Second, Classification is not solely based on student enrollment, some schools are moved up based on merit. Batesville is a 4A school, they have never had 5A numbers. I'm sure there are others.

To me the only question is why isn't PA moved up? They should be a 3A team based on enrollment. Why are they not a 6 or 7A team? While I have grown to appreciate their talents and give them all the credit in the world I wonder why they are content to have an asterisk (They play in a middle classification) placed next to their National standing? People say Kelley has had offers to jump to college but is happy where he is, there is nothing wrong with that. I often wonder why he doesn't want to take his revolutionary philosophy out for a spin? People point out that they have beaten 7A teams, that's a far cry from playing 7A teams every single week. PA has won 4 straight state championships but during that span they were never considered the best high school football team in Arkansas. Winning 5, 6 or even 10 in a row is great but why not win one where you are actually the best?

Go Postal

Quote from: AHS06 on October 23, 2018, 10:34:36 am
I would say PA starters played the entire game against Parkway.  I don't believe Harrison has been tested this entire season looking at their schedule.

I guess you could say the same thing about Texarkana in the South and Nettleton in the East too.  Not everyone can be in the almighty Central conference. ;)

MDXPHD

It's gotta suck to be a Heber fan. Are y'all still only good at pole vault?

AHS06

Quote from: Go Postal on October 23, 2018, 11:21:18 am

I guess you could say the same thing about Texarkana in the South and Nettleton in the East too.  Not everyone can be in the almighty Central conference. ;)
I don't proclaim the Central as almighty.  Harrison has not been tested and that's a fact.  Nothing against Harrison but they should play a quality opponent before knocking at PA's door.

Go Postal

Quote from: AHS06 on October 23, 2018, 11:47:03 am
I don't proclaim the Central as almighty.  Harrison has not been tested and that's a fact.  Nothing against Harrison but they should play a quality opponent before knocking at PA's door.
I would hate for PA to lose to a team that hasn't played a quality opponent yet.  The shame of it all. ;)

Gravelbar

Well "starter," for one if I were a Heber fan I don't think I would be "getting too cocky."  What has Heber ever won?  I can't recall anything much and I don't live that far from "Heber."  Let us know "starter" what accolades you've racked up.  Pole Vault?  Cool, now, I fully understand classification is based on enrollment in "public" schools....but PA is different in case you didn't know that "starter." 

Rocket23

October 23, 2018, 12:50:39 pm #19 Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:54:47 pm by Rocket23
Jesse,

I don't know where you got your numbers regarding Batesville's classification, but the Pioneers' enrollment put them solidly in the 5A.  For grades 9-11 during the latest classification cycle, Batesville's enrollment was 660 students.  That makes them the 16th biggest among the 32 5A schools.

PA's enrollment of 310 puts them near the bottom of 4A.

Little Rock Mills is the top 4A school with an enrollment of 497.

Until Arkansas does something like Colorado where it factors in athletic success and enrollment in sports classifications, it will always be like it is with certain schools going on streaks.  Most schools and fans oppose this method because it puts schools' different sports at different class levels.  Seems like there was a thread on here last year regarding classifications and an individual was very well versed in how Colorado did it.

Go Postal

October 23, 2018, 01:01:36 pm #20 Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:03:42 pm by Go Postal
This year the classification changed in all other sports, I believe either Magnolia or Batesville is the largest 4A school with the rest of us smaller schools behind them unless you're a private school and can play up to 5A.

HeberFan

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 23, 2018, 11:38:11 am
It's gotta suck to be a Heber fan. Are y'all still only good at pole vault?

More than that. And, it's great to be a Heber fan.

Rocket23

Postal,

that was taken from the AAA website for the 2018-2019 Two-year classification cycle.  I took a picture, but cannot figure out how to post on here.

You are thinking of non-football sports where the AAA did away with the 7A classification.  For basketball and all other sports besides football, there is not a class 7A.

Top 32 are 6A, next 32 are 5A, etc... 

HeberFan

Quote from: Gravelbar on October 23, 2018, 12:30:00 pm
Well "starter," for one if I were a Heber fan I don't think I would be "getting too cocky."  What has Heber ever won?  I can't recall anything much and I don't live that far from "Heber."  Let us know "starter" what accolades you've racked up.  Pole Vault?  Cool, now, I fully understand classification is based on enrollment in "public" schools....but PA is different in case you didn't know that "starter."

What has Heber ever won?  Long list, my friend. Bottom line is that PA wins with the smallest student population in Class 5A. Just being competitive would be an accomplishment. Why pick on someone's success?

Go Postal

October 23, 2018, 01:13:56 pm #24 Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:16:16 pm by Go Postal
I know.  Heaven forbid they take away 7A football and be like other States where 6A is the highest class, then they might HAVE to play PA.  LOL

Rocket23

It will be sad not to play Harrison in soccer this year.  I always looked forward to a hard-fought match. 

Gravelbar

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 01:11:39 pm
What has Heber ever won?  Long list, my friend. Bottom line is that PA wins with the smallest student population in Class 5A. Just being competitive would be an accomplishment. Why pick on someone's success?
Wait til AAA sends Batesville to 4A 'starter.'   Obviously, you haven't followed the PA threads over the past few years and figured out that success...Heber's success?  Really?  What's the long line of wins?  Wilburn? Concord?  Quitman?  You talking pole vault?  I think Batesville beat your pole vaulters the last couple of years too...so, what do you have?  Post it up for us.

HeberFan

Quote from: JessieP on October 23, 2018, 11:14:26 am
Two points you're missing here. First, Arkansas track and Alabama football are both champions at the highest level possible for college. They compete in Division 1. South Dakota State is a dynasty in D2 football. No one ever proclaims them the best football team in the Nation. Second, Classification is not solely based on student enrollment, some schools are moved up based on merit. Batesville is a 4A school, they have never had 5A numbers. I'm sure there are others.

To me the only question is why isn't PA moved up? They should be a 3A team based on enrollment. Why are they not a 6 or 7A team? While I have grown to appreciate their talents and give them all the credit in the world I wonder why they are content to have an asterisk (They play in a middle classification) placed next to their National standing? People say Kelley has had offers to jump to college but is happy where he is, there is nothing wrong with that. I often wonder why he doesn't want to take his revolutionary philosophy out for a spin? People point out that they have beaten 7A teams, that's a far cry from playing 7A teams every single week. PA has won 4 straight state championships but during that span they were never considered the best high school football team in Arkansas. Winning 5, 6 or even 10 in a row is great but why not win one where you are actually the best?

Who says PA hasn't been the best team in the state, regardless of classification? Never know what might have happened.  You seem to make a stronger argument that PA should move down in classification, just to make things fair. They're already playing "up" based on enrollment.  I don't see an asterisk by their name anywhere. Some people wouldn't be happy until PA played college competition.

JacketFan

All of this hoopla on here concerning PA, and what classification they should be in, and that they will 5 peat this year.  This question is for all posters that believe PA should be in a higher classification.  If they do win there 5th in a row, how do you explain to me how little ole PA with a mere 300 student enrollment beats someone like Texarkana with a 900 student enrollment?  Its called coaching people, and kids and parents going all in to make the program thrive and be successful.  Their success didn't happen overnight, it has been in the process for the last 20  years, and as long as they keep it going, and Kelley hangs around, they will always be successful.

JessieP

Quote from: Rocket23 on October 23, 2018, 12:50:39 pm
Jesse,

I don't know where you got your numbers regarding Batesville's classification, but the Pioneers' enrollment put them solidly in the 5A.  For grades 9-11 during the latest classification cycle, Batesville's enrollment was 660 students.  That makes them the 16th biggest among the 32 5A schools.

PA's enrollment of 310 puts them near the bottom of 4A.

Little Rock Mills is the top 4A school with an enrollment of 497.

Until Arkansas does something like Colorado where it factors in athletic success and enrollment in sports classifications, it will always be like it is with certain schools going on streaks.  Most schools and fans oppose this method because it puts schools' different sports at different class levels.  Seems like there was a thread on here last year regarding classifications and an individual was very well versed in how Colorado did it.

Your missing my point. PA is breaking no rules, none. My point was why don't they want to move up? Why not challenge yourself? The old cliches do have some relevance, If you want to be the best you must beat the best. There is no doubt in my mind that if PA wanted to move up the AAA would move them up. Paul Feinbaum  had a segment on ESPN last week where he was saying Alabama is sucking the air out of the room in college football. Attendance is down across the SEC. There is nothing that can be done about it but people get bored of dynasty's.

As far as classifications, To me it's like the AAA residence law, there is no rhyme or reason to it. It's like reading War and Piece with every 2nd sentence written in Latin and every 3rd written in Greek. That's why the Blytheville forfeits had me baffled. My thoughts were really? Your gonna enforce that rule on Monday for this school but not on Tuesday for that one? And please, Don't copy/paste the AAA rule book, we've all seen it and it's a joke. As far as I can tell the AAA is masters of selective prosecution. Every year Batesville has a player or 2 transfer up to Southside because the coaches didn't think they were the superstar their parents do. No one really cares but they don't move, they just transfer. So please don't tell me "The Classifications are based on..." or "Eligibility requires..." Because there is zero consistency to it.   

HeberFan

Quote from: JacketFan on October 23, 2018, 01:28:54 pm
All of this hoopla on here concerning PA, and what classification they should be in, and that they will 5 peat this year.  This question is for all posters that believe PA should be in a higher classification.  If they do win there 5th in a row, how do you explain to me how little ole PA with a mere 300 student enrollment beats someone like Texarkana with a 900 student enrollment?  Its called coaching people, and kids and parents going all in to make the program thrive and be successful.  Their success didn't happen overnight, it has been in the process for the last 20  years, and as long as they keep it going, and Kelley hangs around, they will always be successful.

A program doesn't improve by berating another program's success. If you don't like another team's success, figure out how to win yourself.

Reddie20

Maybe Arkansas should take notes from other states and how they treat their private schools.  I'm not 100% sure but I think Texas makes their private schools play in the highest classification if they want to compete against public schools in the playoffs.  If they compete in their own playoffs it is different.  So that would mean PA, LRCA, Shiloh and the other successful private schools would all have to play in 7A during the season and playoffs.  Like I said, I don't know that for a fact just something I have heard.  Also in Mississippi, they have their own playoffs for all private schools so just something to look into I guess.  I don't mind PA and those guys playing because I'm a fan of competition and competing at the highest level.  You earn a championship in any sport you play, its not given to you!

AT

To be fair, I'm actually wondering if PA would petition to move up to 6A or not. I'm not saying they have to, but at some point, I wonder if for their own competition sake if they would want to.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 23, 2018, 01:39:30 pm
To be fair, I'm actually wondering if PA would petition to move up to 6A or not. I'm not saying they have to, but at some point, I wonder if for their own competition sake if they would want to.

As I've said many times before, I wish they would.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JacketFan on October 23, 2018, 01:28:54 pm

It could also include things like no free or reduced lunches, no esl kids, lack of poverty stricken students, etc., etc. Socioeconomic factors play a HUGE role in it - so let's not leave those out. Not saying coaching, kids and parents going all in aren't just as important because they certainly are and PA has those, but they also have a plethora of other advantages that have been discussed in depth on other threads.

HeberFan

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 23, 2018, 01:39:30 pm

How about they petition to move to 3A or 4A, which is more fitting for their student population? Odd how people use winning against a program.

MDXPHD

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 01:43:50 pm
How about they petition to move to 3A or 4A, which is more fitting for their student population? Odd how people use winning against a program.

You are missing the point. PA would enjoy playing 6A ball if I had to guess. Kelley certainly isn't afraid of a challenge. I think he would love the media attention for playing up even higher than he already is.

You can view it however you want - but playing up can be seen just as much as a reward than as a punishment.

AT

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 01:43:50 pm

You're missing my point, PA is 4A enrollment first off. They only move up one classification based off of their numbers.

As for whether the rule is fair, countless evidence across the country shows that private schools have an advantage in athletics, if not in one sport or another, so I do believe the bump up one class rule is fair.

I'm not saying PA should be punished to move up, but rather wonder if they may WANT to move up.

Go Postal

Quote from: Rocket23 on October 23, 2018, 01:16:35 pm
It will be sad not to play Harrison in soccer this year.  I always looked forward to a hard-fought match.
Got to give the rest of the 5A boys and girls a chance to catch up getting State trophies.  Remember Harrison and Bentonville are still tied with the most and PA is in 2nd place.

HeberFan

This is a pointless debate.

Why doesn't Alabama play NFL teams for its non-conference schedule?

Why doesn't Kentucky play NBA teams in the pre-season?

Why doesn't Arkansas State's rugby team play New Zealand every year?

AT

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 01:52:45 pm

Because all of your analogies are false equivalencies and completely ridiculous.

HeberFan

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 23, 2018, 01:56:26 pm
Because all of your analogies are false equivalencies and completely ridiculous.

That's an unsubstantiated opinion.

MDXPHD

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 01:58:05 pm
That's an unsubstantiated opinion.

Ignorance is sad.

Nobody is suggesting that PA play up to D-2 football (although they might beat a team or two). They are suggesting that they could play up in a higher classification. As hard as it may be for you, could just a little logic be used? thanks.

JessieP

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 01:52:45 pm

Actually your response is comparing apples to wireless routers. Alabama is at the top of the college world, there is no up, 5A in high school has 2 "Ups".

Kentucky pays far less than the NBA but it's the same rationale as Alabama above.

What's Rugby?

Moving from 5A to 7A is the same ballgame.

HeberFan

Sure, they could play up. But why?

Most importantly, why do people outside the program care?

Feels like people want PA to play at a level where they start losing.

MDXPHD

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 02:01:46 pm
Sure, they could play up. But why?

Most importantly, why do people outside the program care?

Feels like people want PA to play at a level where they start losing.

I'm not certain they'd start losing...the suggestion comes from people who enjoy parity I think.

HeberFan

Quote from: JessieP on October 23, 2018, 02:01:20 pm
Actually your response is comparing apples to wireless routers. Alabama is at the top of the college world, there is no up, 5A in high school has 2 "Ups".

Kentucky pays far less than the NBA but it's the same rationale as Alabama above.

What's Rugby?

Moving from 5A to 7A is the same ballgame.

Alabama is at the top of the college football world, but, the NFL is a higher classification of football. The comparison is valid.

Kentucky has lots of soon-to-be pro players, so, facing an NBA team is just a higher classification of the same sport. The comparison is valid.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on October 23, 2018, 01:43:12 pm
As I've said many times before, I wish they would.

You have indeed, I have total respect for that view. I was not resorting back to my anti-PA day's, I was simply asking why would they not want to? There is nothing left to accomplish/prove in the 5A. It is not penalizing them for success, in fact it's rewarding them. When I say people get bored of dynasty's I wonder why PA isn't the most bored?

HeberFan

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 23, 2018, 02:02:56 pm
I'm not certain they'd start losing...the suggestion comes from people who enjoy parity I think.

Parity is fine for grade-school field days where everyone gets a ribbon.

HeberFan

Quote from: JessieP on October 23, 2018, 02:04:46 pm
You have indeed, I have total respect for that view. I was not resorting back to my anti-PA day's, I was simply asking why would they not want to? There is nothing left to accomplish/prove in the 5A. It is not penalizing them for success, in fact it's rewarding them. When I say people get bored of dynasty's I wonder why PA isn't the most bored?

Maybe because it's REALLY HARD to keep winning.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas