• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 teams

Started by AverageJo24, October 19, 2018, 11:52:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arkansasprepfootball

Posted something similar on Dermott thread on 2A board - unless concrete rules on participation are put in place for the next cycle, 8-man will become nothing but teams who can't compete in 11-man.

Where are these schools that were supposedly going to start football and play 8-man?  Frankly, I don't think they exist.  The start-up costs of 8-man and 11-man are virtually identical.  Still need field, equipment, staff, etc.  I do not see any current basketball-only program adding football at 8-man level.

I do know there is a push from some - coaches/admin/etc. - to move to 6-man instead of 8-man.  If it is truly about low participation, that would be a better move.

tmycjy

Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on March 10, 2019, 10:33:56 am
Posted something similar on Dermott thread on 2A board - unless concrete rules on participation are put in place for the next cycle, 8-man will become nothing but teams who can't compete in 11-man.

Where are these schools that were supposedly going to start football and play 8-man?  Frankly, I don't think they exist.  The start-up costs of 8-man and 11-man are virtually identical.  Still need field, equipment, staff, etc.  I do not see any current basketball-only program adding football at 8-man level.

I do know there is a push from some - coaches/admin/etc. - to move to 6-man instead of 8-man.  If it is truly about low participation, that would be a better move.

now that my point I been saying all a long

airitout

Is there anywhere on the AAA site for 8 man football?  Maxpreps?

Brian G

Heard Brinkley went 8 man.

Mulerider4Life

Jwolf12

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on June 03, 2019, 11:37:10 am
Article please?

From Lonoke County Sports Report on May 24:
"The Carlisle-Lonoke football game has been moved to Week 0, according to Carlisle coach Caleb Shock. The date for the game is Aug. 30 at Fred C. Hardke Field.
Carlisle had lost a home game against Brinkley in Week 9 because of the Tigers choosing to play 8-man football this season.
With the Carlisle-Lonoke game being moved to Week 0, the Bison were able to schedule Johnson County Westside in Week 1, the second game of the season.
Carlisle will have four home games and six road games.
Home games including Lonoke on Aug. 30 against Lonoke, Sept. 6 against Westside, Oct. 4 against Des Arc and Oct. 11 vs. Marvell.
Road games include: Sept. 13 at DeWitt, Sept. 20 at Baptist Prep, Sept. 27 at Hazen, Oct. 18 at Marianna, Oct. 25 at Clarendon and Nov. 8 a Earle.
The Bison will be idle Nov. 1."

https://www.facebook.com/1510173709203097/posts/2455148441372281?sfns=mo

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Jwolf12 on June 03, 2019, 01:19:24 pm
From Lonoke County Sports Report on May 24:
"The Carlisle-Lonoke football game has been moved to Week 0, according to Carlisle coach Caleb Shock. The date for the game is Aug. 30 at Fred C. Hardke Field.
Carlisle had lost a home game against Brinkley in Week 9 because of the Tigers choosing to play 8-man football this season.
With the Carlisle-Lonoke game being moved to Week 0, the Bison were able to schedule Johnson County Westside in Week 1, the second game of the season.
Carlisle will have four home games and six road games.
Home games including Lonoke on Aug. 30 against Lonoke, Sept. 6 against Westside, Oct. 4 against Des Arc and Oct. 11 vs. Marvell.
Road games include: Sept. 13 at DeWitt, Sept. 20 at Baptist Prep, Sept. 27 at Hazen, Oct. 18 at Marianna, Oct. 25 at Clarendon and Nov. 8 a Earle.
The Bison will be idle Nov. 1."

https://www.facebook.com/1510173709203097/posts/2455148441372281?sfns=mo

That's better, still not a direct article, but I will take it.

Jwolf12

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on June 04, 2019, 12:51:54 pm
That's better, still not a direct article, but I will take it.

I've found this too but that's all I've seen on it
http://www.clevelandcountyherald.com/2019/05/29/three-more-to-play-8-man-football/

HorseFeathers

Jeremy Muck tweeted yesterday that Brinkley Trinity Christian and Western Yell will play 8 man football in 2019

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Would the small private schools in big cities ever play 8-man? Like Haas Hall and the Arts Academy.

Hogman2018

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 06, 2019, 01:57:25 pm
Jeremy Muck tweeted yesterday that Brinkley Trinity Christian and Western Yell will play 8 man football in 2019
Does anyone know where Trinity will play their games?

Hogman2018

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hogman2018 on June 08, 2019, 08:58:23 pm
It still doesn't say where they will play!

They don't have a field and are still in talks with multiple sites in Texarkana

BLamb44

There is a huge difference between numbers and quality of numbers. I've seen some 8-man teams with 20+ , but most have less than 20. Woodlawn has a very good class but only 15-18 players. They usually only have 4-6 come to summer workouts because of jobs. If you try to play Junction City with 15 players and only 8 true starters, what happens? That goes for playing basically anyone in 8-2A. All the teams that have committed to 8-man have done everything in their power to stay in 11-man. I used to think it wasn't real football but all you have to do is go watch a game, and you'll realize too, that's it's still football. Blocking, tackling, running and throwing. It's just condensed into a 40 yard wide field. It's a fun game to watch. If you can play, you can play. As far as those 1A baseball/basketball only schools are concerned, it would be worth the startup money to at least make it an option. Football makes money. As they say on Field Of Dreams, "if you build it, they will come."

BLamb44

Great discussion guys. The 1A schools have been approached and told exactly what they would need to start a football program. About $15,000. They would make that money back quickly but they're very hesitant on spending that kind of money up front. And you're right, most the 1A schools don't want to give up their basketball time. It's a shame to see tradition rich programs fall on hard times due to enrollment or money but 8-man football can keep things going. The fans love it and I know the boys enjoy playing teams that are comparable size and numbers wise. I think 8-man is here to stay but it would sure be great for all those teams (and you know who you are) that are on the fence to just jump on in... the water feels great!

OB11

Quote from: BLamb44 on July 23, 2019, 05:17:43 pm
Great discussion guys. The 1A schools have been approached and told exactly what they would need to start a football program. About $15,000. They would make that money back quickly but they're very hesitant on spending that kind of money up front. And you're right, most the 1A schools don't want to give up their basketball time. It's a shame to see tradition rich programs fall on hard times due to enrollment or money but 8-man football can keep things going. The fans love it and I know the boys enjoy playing teams that are comparable size and numbers wise. I think 8-man is here to stay but it would sure be great for all those teams (and you know who you are) that are on the fence to just jump on in... the water feels great!

Where is the $15,000 coming from? And what would that go towards to start a program? Seems like a low number to start up a program.

jbtiger73

there are plenty of grants and loans out there for football startup programs. also, fundraisers, and donations can also help. just have to take the time to do the research.

OB11

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 29, 2019, 06:17:10 pm
there are plenty of grants and loans out there for football startup programs. also, fundraisers, and donations can also help. just have to take the time to do the research.

I was questioning where the number came from. Why $15K? I'm sure there are plenty of places out there to get the money to start up a program.

Missco

A simple solution to help football would be no basketball for all schools until fb is over. That might get a few schools to start football.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Missco on July 29, 2019, 09:34:57 pm
A simple solution to help football would be no basketball for all schools until fb is over. That might get a few schools to start football.

Why punish the schools who just play basketball? Just to try and force them to start football? That's pretty crappy.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: fann07 on July 30, 2019, 07:21:13 am
Why punish the schools who just play basketball? Just to try and force them to start football? That's pretty crappy.

Yeah and what about the kids that may have a chance to play college basketball? They only play basketball and want to focus on that.

OB11

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on July 30, 2019, 07:47:54 am
Yeah and what about the kids that may have a chance to play college basketball? They only play basketball and want to focus on that.

There are plenty of kids that have played college basketball that attended schools that play football. No one would be forcing the kid to play football.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: OB11 on July 30, 2019, 10:00:20 am
There are plenty of kids that have played college basketball that attended schools that play football. No one would be forcing the kid to play football.

Correct, I am just saying we don't need to move basketball at all.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on July 30, 2019, 10:11:12 am
Correct, I am just saying we don't need to move basketball at all.

I agree

MomaLion

Quote from: fann07 on July 30, 2019, 07:21:13 am

Why punish the kids who only play basketball in a football school by making them wait to play?  Why punish kids who play both football and basketball by making them wait and then the basketball only schools get the advantage of earlier practice.  In my opinion the start time for basketball should be the same regardless of football.  Either everyone starts late or everyone starts early.

BLamb44

I totally agree about basketball. There should be a statewide starting date for basketball. As long as there is an advantage to not play football, why would you try to start it up. Forget about how much money would be generated by having football. It makes money. People will come. The $15,000 was an estimate from AAA.

Sweet Feet

I hope more small schools and 1A schools form 8-man teams. It hurts to see that there are so many schools with kids who want to play some kind of football but can't.

jbtiger73

What's sad is, is that we're having success at the 8 man level. But the school and community are giving our AD/Head Coach a bunch of crap about going to 8 man in the first place. The complete disrespect is sickening to me as a former player there. At the time of the decision, we only had around 12 or 13 players. By the time practice started back in August, we had right at 20. By that time, we had made the commitment. And the other teams on the schedule were notified, so that they could make other game arrangements. I'm still behind our team, and the coaches. The atmosphere around the team is as high as it's been since I was playing back in the late 90's and early 2000's. But the community and school needs to get their heads out of their butts, and recognize this.

MomaLion

Nobody likes change.  I guess they'd rather see a struggling full team rather than a dominate 8 man squad.  Nevermind that the kids are safer for not having to always play both ways and risk injury.

Mulerider4Life

Do we have an updated list of teams?

HorseFeathers

Same as last year with 2 new additions..

Brinkley
Wyc
Augusta
Decatur
Arkansas christian
Trinity Christian
Episcopal
Woodlawn
Hermitage

Seen some were playing SW Christian out of Little Rock too

jbtiger73

I noticed that Decatur plays 8 man schools in Oklahoma and Missouri. I really hope it gets sanctioned very soon though. AAA is piddling around on this issue. But what else is new with them.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: jbtiger73 on September 23, 2019, 06:52:49 pm
I noticed that Decatur plays 8 man schools in Oklahoma and Missouri. I really hope it gets sanctioned very soon though. AAA is piddling around on this issue. But what else is new with them.

Think they're may be a minimum, it's a sport y'all don't care about, but they drug their feet on soccer in the mid-late 90's....and I think the schools formed their own league and held competitive tournaments and may have declared state champs

MomaLion

Does AAA get a percentage of the gate in 8 man?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: MomaLion on September 24, 2019, 04:31:16 am
Does AAA get a percentage of the gate in 8 man?

I would expect so. If 8-man is regulated by the AAA.

HorseFeathers

Well they don't sanction it so, do they actually recognize it?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 24, 2019, 10:06:52 am
Well they don't sanction it so, do they actually recognize it?

They may be able to pull in a little bit of money then.

jbtiger73

The officials work for the AAA as well, right? I know they have their own organization, the AOA. So, they probably work independently when it comes to 8 man.

HorseFeathers

I'm sure the schools can still have their agreements with local assignors....

Not only that, I'd assume jsut be AAA registered doesn't mean you can only do sanctioned events?

WildcatTater

How is Episcopal doing this year? Man I remember when Episcopal ran the 3A conference. LOL.

Sweet Feet

Can't wait to see the 1A schools get football

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas