• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA is ranked 17th in the Nation

Started by PAguy2008, September 17, 2017, 09:08:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PAguy2008

According to maxpreps, PA is ranked 17th best team in the nation right behind Allen.

PA Dad

Quote from: PAguy2008 on September 17, 2017, 09:08:17 pm
According to maxpreps, PA is ranked 17th best team in the nation right behind Allen.

I love PA football, but that's ridiculous.  While PA is very good, and they might be in the top 150, there's no way they are the No. 17 team in the nation.

Deuceswild

I'm not a fan of MaxPreps rankings but let them enjoy it while they got it. They have owned the 5A and until that changes, all we can do is respect or hate on em. I got a ton of respect for how they utilize all resources available and they are changing the way the game is played. Good for them but big shoes always find a way to bring blisters. Just sayin.

Overdahill

September 18, 2017, 09:15:16 am #3 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:05:06 am by Overdahill
Quote from: PA Dad on September 17, 2017, 09:53:43 pm
I love PA football, but that's ridiculous.  While PA is very good, and they might be in the top 150, there's no way they are the No. 17 team in the nation.

I agree with you Dad. Much respect for PA football but you really need to play and compete with more top teams consistently to be ranked that high IMHO. I worked in Euless, Texas for over a decade and near Concord, CA for a year so i know what top 20 team looks like but we can still enjoy it while it lasts  :)

PS I do think we are way better than the Democrat- Gazette rankings and would beat most if not all of the Arkansas teams ranked ahead of us

Bigboy36

PA should be playing 6a or 7a ball right now and would probably still not lose so i can see why Max Preps gave them the rankings even though i think PA would lose to some of those teams in the top 25

bearbacker52

Quote from: PA Dad on September 17, 2017, 09:53:43 pm
out of my expert area, but when pa is ranked 17th nationally, is that across all classifications or just 5a?

Overdahill

Red Devil Alum

I love PA, but no way they are in that class. 1 game they MIGHT be able to stick with a true top 20 team, but no way could they do it consistently. I don't think people realize how small PA is, both in attendance and size of players.

Maynard G Krebs

Rob Van Winkle

This just helps the overall perception of HS football in Arkansas. 3 teams are ranked in the top 78.

Overdahill

Complete Biased PoV

Let's make sure we clarify, PA is ranked 17th in their computer poll not the human poll.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: Overdahill on September 18, 2017, 09:15:16 am
I agree with you Dad. Much respect for PA football but you really need to play and compete with more top teams consistently to be ranked that high IMHO. I worked in Euless, Texas for over a decade and near Concord, CA for a year so i know what top 20 team looks like but we can still enjoy it while it lasts  :)

PS I do think we are way better than the Democrat- Gazette rankings and would beat most if not all of the Arkansas teams ranked ahead of us

With the exception of maybe 5-7 teams, I think this would apply to anyone in the top 20.  It's hard to rank college teams, much less hundreds of high schools. 

Overdahill

September 18, 2017, 05:16:21 pm #13 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:22:13 pm by Overdahill
Not limited to 5-7 teams. There are big school conferences out there nationwide where the average team is probably ranked where the #2 team is Arkansas 5A is at and their top teams play even better teams in early NC play. there has been big time football going on nationwide for decades. PA has some players who can compete at that level; just not enough of them. Without checking I would venture to say that PA strength of opposition will be by far the lowest of anyone else in the top 25. A 4-peat is the ranking I would love to see at year-end  :)

Lefefe123#

The Best Team PA will ever have Past Present and Future..PA will never have this caliber of a football team.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Lefefe123# on September 18, 2017, 07:49:46 pm
The Best Team PA will ever have Past Present and Future..PA will never have this caliber of a football team.

You're too young to be drinking😜

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: Overdahill on September 18, 2017, 05:16:21 pm
Not limited to 5-7 teams. There are big school conferences out there nationwide where the average team is probably ranked where the #2 team is Arkansas 5A is at and their top teams play even better teams in early NC play. there has been big time football going on nationwide for decades. PA has some players who can compete at that level; just not enough of them. Without checking I would venture to say that PA strength of opposition will be by far the lowest of anyone else in the top 25. A 4-peat is the ranking I would love to see at year-end  :)

Yes, I am aware there has been, "big time football going on nationwide for decades".  I appreciate the informative yet concise statements.  Again, I'm not building a case that PA is really 17th in the nation, I just believe once you get past the top 5-7, the stats get fuzzy real quick.  As I look at the 16 teams ranked higher on Maxpreps, I can see 7, maybe 8, that either haven't played a top 20 team, or did and lost badly.  Additionally, PA was originally scheduled to play Evangel Christian, and they backed out late this summer when given a chance to play Allen, TX (which is a great opportunity and totally understandable). 

Overdahill

Yeah, it was too bad that the Evangel game slipped away but such is life

threepeoplematter

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on September 18, 2017, 04:22:23 pm
Let's make sure we clarify, PA is ranked 17th in their computer poll not the human poll.
I think it would be difficult to take a human poll of all high school football teams in the country as a whole, but I agree with your sentiment on computer rankings.

Marblehog

That is so dumb.  Yea PA is good but 17th in nation?  Come on.  Do they even have more than a couple D1 players?  And don't say the QB is one.

STBruin

Most people are missing the point...#17 on a National Poll, is good for Arkansas Football...just like playing teams out of state and winning is GOOD for Arkansas Football. Honestly do I think we are the #17 team in the nation, probably not, BUT Maxpreps has PA ranked there. So again, its good for Arkansas Football.

MDXPHD

Quote from: STBruin on September 20, 2017, 02:05:47 pm
Most people are missing the point...#17 on a National Poll, is good for Arkansas Football...just like playing teams out of state and winning is GOOD for Arkansas Football. Honestly do I think we are the #17 team in the nation, probably not, BUT Maxpreps has PA ranked there. So again, its good for Arkansas Football.

I think that may be your point...but a lot of people's point is that the ranking isn't correct.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 20, 2017, 03:25:36 pm
I think that may be your point...but a lot of people's point is that the ranking isn't correct.

I'm one who thinks the ranking is way too high.  But, STBruin's point is nevertheless valid.  Highly ranked teams from Arkansas is good for Arkansas.  I think I saw that three Arkansas teams are ranked in the top 100.  For a small state, that's very good.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on September 20, 2017, 07:49:46 pm
I'm one who thinks the ranking is way too high.  But, STBruin's point is nevertheless valid.  Highly ranked teams from Arkansas is good for Arkansas.  I think I saw that three Arkansas teams are ranked in the top 100.  For a small state, that's very good.

Totally agree. 17th is laughable, the Top 150 is not. 3 teams in the Top 100 is a great source of pride. A little perspective here, California has 42 million, Texas has 27 million, Florida has 19 million and Arkansas has 2.5 million. California has concerts that draw 600,000 people. There are high schools in CA, FL and TX that have 5,000 students. Arkansas can not compete. When someone tells me PA or Greenwood wouldn't make the Top 100 in California I tell them "I would hope not, if they did that would look pretty bad for California". 

Yellowcake

Here we go again with the PA hate. Guys, this poll is unquestionably accurate. The pollsters attend games nationwide and watch recorded games they don't attend. It is FACT that only 16 teams nationwide can beat us. And we'd mercy rule the remaining 1000's of teams. Come on. Facts are facts.

You know I am kidding. The poll is ridiculous as is the "ranking". It's something fun to talk about though. I don't think anyone at PA believes it is accurate.

If we are 16th, then Greenwood is 15th.

Marblehog

I personally don't think PA is 17th in the nation.  That being said it is very impressive that they even made the list.  It amazes me how many coaches all over the state actually think Kevin Kelly is a joke and dumb.  I've heard a coach who went 0-10 say it. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Marblehog on September 21, 2017, 08:38:30 am
I personally don't think PA is 17th in the nation.  That being said it is very impressive that they even made the list.  It amazes me how many coaches all over the state actually think Kevin Kelly is a joke and dumb.  I've heard a coach who went 0-10 say it. 

Well that's the pot calling the kettle black (no racist).  I don't think those would be my first choice of adjectives to describe a coach with 3 consecutive state titles.

Overdahill

Quote from: Marblehog on September 21, 2017, 08:38:30 am
I personally don't think PA is 17th in the nation.  That being said it is very impressive that they even made the list.  It amazes me how many coaches all over the state actually think Kevin Kelly is a joke and dumb. I've heard a coach who went 0-10 say it.

^^ which brings to mind the old adage "consider the source"  ::)

Marblehog

Quote from: Overdahill on September 21, 2017, 10:47:56 am
^^ which brings to mind the old adage "consider the source"  ::)
Exactly.  Only a moron would think Kelly isn't a good coach

BIGGOAT60

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas