• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach of the Year Finalists

Started by Wonderdog, December 08, 2013, 04:51:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your Coach of the Year pick?

Alma's Doug Loughridge
14 (31.8%)
Hope's Jay Turley
12 (27.3%)
Morrilton's Cody McNabb
18 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: December 13, 2013, 04:51:06 pm

Wonderdog

Who and why? All three have done an exceptional job this season. I would give it to Jay Turley. Coaches Poll in the preseason had Hope picked to finish 7th in 5A South. He certainly proved the coaches wrong. Loughridge did a fine job at Alma and so did McNabb at Morrilton.

AT

Loughridge led his team to the 5A West championship with Morrilton in the same conference and had to beat Morrilton @ Morrilton.

tmycjy

Im going with the Morrilton coach if they win the state tittle if Morrilton get the state runner up then I think it would be a toss up with the Morrilton coach and the Alma coach

MDXPHD

Quote from: tmycjy on December 08, 2013, 07:46:22 pm
Im going with the Morrilton coach if they win the state tittle if Morrilton get the state runner up then I think it would be a toss up with the Morrilton coach and the Alma coach

If Morrilton wins the championship, it's him.  Otherwise, Hopes coach has done way more than what anyone came close to expecting this season.

loyal fan

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2013, 07:22:51 am
Quote from: tmycjy on December 08, 2013, 07:46:22 pm
Agree +1

If Morrilton wins the championship, it's him.  Otherwise, Hopes coach has done way more than what anyone came close to expecting this season.

Intelligentsia

If what I understand to be the case; Alma coach came in without replacing the existing staff and still turned the program around; I would have to lean toward him, although all three have done an impressive job.

Hoghead

If Morrilton wins the 5A Title, I'd say McNab's done the best. The fact that no one in the West saw McNab and this team coming is crazy.
Turley pretty much did the same thing in Hope. 

RamAlum10

think about how bad hope has been in recent years though. to take a deflated program, like hope, and win conference, and give morrilton a nail biter.. i think turley has done a great job.

on the other hand alma had a great season, with a brand new coach, but their tradition is there more than hope. sure they only won 7-8 games the last 4 years, but thats leaps and bounds better than a 1, 2, 3, 4 win seasons that hope has had in the same time frame. 

in my eyes its comparable to what say chip kelly is doin at philly.  there was ground established there for him, with talent, and he came in and put in his system and found quick success, like coach loughridge has done.

hope on the other hand has just come out of nowhere. to keep a bunch of talented kids motivated to play at the high school level must have been hard. sure they had success in junior high, but when you see your varsity team becoming the laughing stock of 5A south, you might think "yea.. i think ill just play basketball"

with that being said, close call between turley and loughridge. both great seasons.

walkingguy72396

Just hand it to the guy whose team has the winning score Saturday. 

AT

Switch teams with McNabb and Loughridge. What do you think would happen?

RamAlum10

same position. both teams have stellar D, but morrilton has more to work with on offense as far as athletes go. i know alma beat morrilton in the reg season, but morrilton has been on a roll ever since. their qb picked up the pace and developed awareness. loughridge would have an athletic offense, and most likely be in the same position that mcnabb has put them in.

AT

Quote from: RamAlum10 on December 11, 2013, 12:47:27 am
same position. both teams have stellar D, but morrilton has more to work with on offense as far as athletes go. i know alma beat morrilton in the reg season, but morrilton has been on a roll ever since. their qb picked up the pace and developed awareness. loughridge would have an athletic offense, and most likely be in the same position that mcnabb has put them in.

But do you think McNabb would have had the Alma team in the state finals?

ahsalum

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 11, 2013, 03:07:33 am

I can answer that one.

No.

the voice

December 11, 2013, 08:57:49 am #14 Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:13:42 am by the voice
I dont think he would have morrilton there either if it was flipped, what Coach Mcnabb has done has took a couple years to build. Couldnt have been done in a few months, no offense to coach  loughridge , theyve both done a great job. Alma has much stronger recent history and tradition . They will be 6a next year,  Morrilton missed dropping to 4a by 2 students I was told. So theyve both done a good job as has the Hope coach.  So to me they are qualified. This kind of subject can cause lots hard feelings. Cast your vote , and even state your reasons, to start comparing these coaches is unfair and disrespectful to each of them , and I have no doubt they would all agree on that.

MDXPHD

Quote from: the voice on December 11, 2013, 08:57:49 am
I dont think he would have morrilton there either if it was flipped, what Coach Mcnabb has done has took a couple years to build. Couldnt have been done in a few months, no offense to coach  loughridge , theyve both done a great job. Alma has much stronger recent history and tradition . They will be 6a next year,  Morrilton missed dropping to 4a by 2 students I was told. So theyve both done a good job as has the Hope coach.  So to me they are qualified. This kind of subject can cause lots hard feelings. Cast your vote , and even state your reasons, to start comparing these coaches is unfair and disrespectful to each of them , and I have no doubt they would all agree on that.

http://eliteedgeas.com/files/ArkansasReclass14-16.pdf

AT

This kind of subject can cause lots hard feelings. Cast your vote , and even state your reasons, to start comparing these coaches is unfair and disrespectful to each of them , and I have no doubt they would all agree on that.

You have to compare them to state your reasons, though.

DogsWin7

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 11, 2013, 10:29:58 am

What does the reclassification have to do with this?       Part of the research team Mr. phD? :)

RamAlum10

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 11, 2013, 03:07:33 am
Quote from: RamAlum10 on December 11, 2013, 12:47:27 am

Depends on if Mcnabb's Alma team won the regular season game. I think Alma beats Hope with their D. Against Batesville? i think it would be the same type of game as was the one loughridge coached.

MDXPHD

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on December 11, 2013, 10:42:11 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 11, 2013, 10:29:58 am

What does the reclassification have to do with this?       Part of the research team Mr. phD? :)

He mentioned Morrilton slightly missing 4A. I thought I would give him some numbers. 

RamAlum10

missed it by 7 kids.. i dont see the big deal between 2 and 7. still VERY close to moving down to a classification that theyd have instant success in.

The Future

If McNabb and company gets it done at the Rock, Morrilton gets it.
If not, I'd give it to Alma

Devil Dog 17

No disrespect to Alma's coach, but I say it needs to go to one of the 2 coaches that are still playing FB right now.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 12, 2013, 12:55:11 pm
No disrespect to Alma's coach, but I say it needs to go to one of the 2 coaches that are still playing FB right now.
i guess you would give it to McNabb? since King is not a finalist. homer  ;D

C-Mac 73

I agree with a couple others that if MO wins state (lol) then McNabb gets it. If not, give it to Doug. I was impressed by Alma.

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 12, 2013, 03:35:46 pm
I agree with a couple others that if MO wins state (lol) then McNabb gets it. If not, give it to Doug. I was impressed by Alma.
[/quote

CMac, you were lol'g in your previous post , is it still funny?

C-Mac 73

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 15, 2013, 07:45:05 pm
Quote from: C-Mac 73 on December 12, 2013, 03:35:46 pm
[/quote

CMac, you were lol'g in your previous post , is it still funny?
Yes

Devil Dog 17

Congrats to Coach McNabb, 5A coach of the year!!

AT

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 17, 2013, 11:01:30 am
Congrats to Coach McNabb, 5A coach of the year!!

I think Loughridge and McNabb won co-coach of the year. Congrats to both!

Doggone

Youngsta71701

Has to go to Morrilton's coach. They are the 5A State Champs. With Hope's coach a close 2nd because no one expected them to be as good as they were.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas