• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LR Central Open

Started by JohnBarleycorn, February 27, 2018, 01:36:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBarleycorn

Scooter announced retirement this AM.

Maynard G Krebs

AHS06

This is great news for Central.

AirWarren

Brad Bolding.....head up the road down 630???

Michiganhog

AirWarren

Quote from: Michiganhog on February 28, 2018, 12:46:53 pm
Why is this great news? 

Because. He was underachieving at LR Central.

Historical Arkansas coach, but possibly "tea dropping" during his time as HC when he went from catholic to central.

Michiganhog

Underachieving?

When he got there, there was 35 people in the program.  In 2012/2013 there were 195 players in the program.  They had lost 22 consecutive games prior to his arrival.  He orchestrated the 9th grade having a 10 game schedule and a conference to play in.  He led the charge to renovate the bathrooms, playing surface, visitors locker room, and weight room.  Won the first road playoff game in the LRSD since 1994.  Had to constantly keep players from transferring.  There are 12 players at a school in Pulaski County that transferred for greener pastures.  This is not under achieving, it is having to deal with 6 private school, suburban sprawl, facilities, and parents.  Get your facts straight

Michiganhog

Also got to work everyday at 7:00am and didn't leave most nights until 9 or 10.  Worked on Saturdays and sundays and 6 days a week in the summer working 12 months on a 10 month contract.  Doesn't sound much like "T" Dropping to me.  If you even know what that means.

Iknewthemwhen

Even if he was "T" dropping, so what?  That has no effect on his job performance, none. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Michiganhog on February 28, 2018, 02:29:04 pm
Underachieving?

When he got there, there was 35 people in the program.  In 2012/2013 there were 195 players in the program.  They had lost 22 consecutive games prior to his arrival.  He orchestrated the 9th grade having a 10 game schedule and a conference to play in.  He led the charge to renovate the bathrooms, playing surface, visitors locker room, and weight room.  Won the first road playoff game in the LRSD since 1994.  Had to constantly keep players from transferring.  There are 12 players at a school in Pulaski County that transferred for greener pastures.  This is not under achieving, it is having to deal with 6 private school, suburban sprawl, facilities, and parents.  Get your facts straight

Lol.

Man.

Opinions, everyone has one. Everyone just doesn't know how to take them. Geez, take it easy.

AirWarren

February 28, 2018, 03:22:28 pm #10 Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:26:31 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 28, 2018, 03:16:27 pm
Even if he was "T" dropping, so what?  That has no effect on his job performance, none. 

He was 32-54. In a school that should be a mirror image of NLR. A public school in LR that actually produces solid academics.

I dunno. Educators are known for taking "bridge to retirement jobs" especially when private school pay and retirement will never match that of a public school. Especially a 7a beast in central Ark.

Now. That's not a knock on anyone. I find it smart and if I was an educator you best believe I would make that kind of move.

Iknewthemwhen

From what I hear most retiree's are doing quite well on retirement, T drop and SSI.  Even if they are padding their retirement with T drop that doesn't have an adverse affect on the way they do their jobs and you left the impression that "T dropping" was a bad thing.

AirWarren

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 28, 2018, 03:29:47 pm
From what I hear most retiree's are doing quite well on retirement, T drop and SSI.  Even if they are padding their retirement with T drop that doesn't have an adverse affect on the way they do their jobs and you left the impression that "T dropping" was a bad thing.

No, trust me. I don't view it as a bad thing.

However, I stand by my opinion that LR Central has underachieved in 8 years. No reason it cannot do what NLR does. It ALSO fights the problems that all central Arkansas schools in Little Rock face and has been a contender for some time now.

Iknewthemwhen

Well, only time will tell if LRC can improve in a big way.  I'm not convinced.

4real

Numerous factors in LRC demise. Scooter was well connected, and that gave him a leash that lasted longer than most would have there.  He hadn't adapted to the modern urban kid. Understandable. Times change. Central needs someone who understands the times and the urban kid that can help them.  U of A also needs this hire to be good.

Someone has already called this. Gotta agree that if anyone can get players back at Central, it's gotta be the guy who got them from there in the first place...
Brad Bolding.
Best fundraiser and promoter in Arkansas high school sports.  Might screw up a key 4th quarter game management situation, but will get the players that he needs to compete and be in the picture of the play offs

thebigshot

Airwarren,

You seem like you know it, just apply for the job and we can see how well you can do. I love to see how well you can do compare to what Register has done in 43 years.

You should had listen to his press conference you would had gain something from it.

4real

Quote from: thebigshot on February 28, 2018, 09:55:41 pm
Airwarren,

You seem like you know it, just apply for the job and we can see how well you can do. I love to see how well you can do compare to what Register has done in 43 years.

You should had listen to his press conference you would had gain something from it.

Jeez, get your underwear settled. He ain't talking bout the last half century... he's talking about the last dozen years. Times change. If coaches don't, then they get changed out for one that does. Unfortunately that's reality. Unless parents start teaching discipline and hard work... and good luck with that...

AirWarren

Quote from: thebigshot on February 28, 2018, 09:55:41 pm
Airwarren,

Quit letting you're personal feelings get in the way here. This is no shot on him or his legacy as a high school coach. Everyone knows that he is one of the premiere names in high school coaching in this state.

However, forgive me if I think 32-54 is underachieving when right across the river NLR(who faces the same type of transfer issue, demographics, Private school) is flourishing, McClellan(who has FAR worse facilities than LR Central) is on the rise, and Joe T. Robinson is making strides as well. And if Coach Bolding stays at Parkview, look out. They will become competitive.

With LR Central's athlete base, there is no reason this school should not be competitive. Just need to find the right coach.

Michiganhog

Have you seen the facilities at NLR?  You cant compare NLR and Central.  They do not face the same transfer issues.  That is a very inaccurate statement.  They are the only school in town being fed by numerous middle schools.  When they were just dealing with NLR kids on their team, they weren't winning.  They branched out into the entire county a few years back and invested money in athletics.  This made kids want to come.  The LRSD is working to plug the holes but their is much damage.  It is apparent that you are comparing tradition with actual facts.  Kids don't care about tradition, they want apparel and flash.  The football budget for central is $4700 a year.  it is the same for every LRSD school. It is tough to run a 7A school on that kind of budget.  Plus LRSD coaches teach 6 classes. 

Mancho Hogo

Scooter is a great coach.  I'll be willing to bet any coach they hire will underachieve according to the fans there. 

Pat Swilling

LRC will land a good Coach.

AirWarren

Quote from: Michiganhog on March 01, 2018, 09:01:27 am
Have you seen the facilities at NLR?  You cant compare NLR and Central.  They do not face the same transfer issues.  That is a very inaccurate statement.  They are the only school in town being fed by numerous middle schools.  When they were just dealing with NLR kids on their team, they weren't winning.  They branched out into the entire county a few years back and invested money in athletics.  This made kids want to come.  The LRSD is working to plug the holes but their is much damage.  It is apparent that you are comparing tradition with actual facts.  Kids don't care about tradition, they want apparel and flash.  The football budget for central is $4700 a year.  it is the same for every LRSD school. It is tough to run a 7A school on that kind of budget.  Plus LRSD coaches teach 6 classes. 

Of course I have. NLR has great facilities and overall its a good public school for Central Arkansas.

How do you explain what Moody has done? There is no "apparel and flash" at that school. ZERO.

Michiganhog

Still comparing apples to oranges

AirWarren

Quote from: Michiganhog on March 01, 2018, 11:23:08 am
Still comparing apples to oranges

How so?

Both LRSD.
BOTH have a budget of 4700$ according to you.
One school has turf.
One had to play at a neutral site because their field was in bad shape.
Both deal and have dealt with flight.
Both fight the private schools.
Both fight other area public schools.
One is 5a(less talent pool).
One is 7a(more talent pool).

So, what's the difference?

Michiganhog

I understand what the perception of your facts are, but unfortunately they are two entirely different examples.  No big name coach is going to leave a position where they are not teaching to come to a situation where they are.  Central is a tough challenge and one that is not an easy fix.  It is going to require patience and a lot of understanding. 

francocat

Quote from: AirWarren on March 01, 2018, 11:30:32 am
How so?

Both LRSD.
One school has turf.

Not sure what you're saying with this comment: Are you still comparing NLR to Central?

Overdahill

Quote from: francocat on March 01, 2018, 04:16:22 pm
How so?

Both LRSD.
One school has turf.

Not sure what you're saying with this comment: Are you still comparing NLR to Central?

LR McClellan not NLR I think

AirWarren

Quote from: francocat on March 01, 2018, 04:16:22 pm
How so?

Both LRSD.
One school has turf.

McClellan vs Central.

Maynard G Krebs

Oh crap, I actually agree with AirWarren on something. 🤪

Bbencathcart

Brad Bolding will be hire as the next football coach heard from strong source

AirWarren

Quote from: Bbencathcart on March 01, 2018, 08:27:35 pm
Brad Bolding will be hire as the next football coach heard from strong source

Nailed it.

francocat

Personally, I hope Bolding does take the job. Although he might improve Central, the fun effect will be how he changes the free-rein recruiting advantage that NLR has enjoyed. But, I just don't see him having any credibility if he takes the Central job so soon after taking the Parkview job & I just can't see the LR School Board allowing it to happen.

Michiganhog

There is no school board on LR.  Also, I don't know who your source is but that is absolutely not true.  Stop spreading rumors.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: Michiganhog on March 02, 2018, 10:43:13 am
There is no school board on LR.  Also, I don't know who your source is but that is absolutely not true.  Stop spreading rumors.

What do you think a message board about high school football in March is for?

Da_CountiesFinest

March 02, 2018, 12:42:12 pm #34 Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:43:57 pm by Da_CountiesFinest
Quote from: Michiganhog on March 01, 2018, 02:45:28 pm
I understand what the perception of your facts are, but unfortunately they are two entirely different examples.  No big name coach is going to leave a position where they are not teaching to come to a situation where they are.  Central is a tough challenge and one that is not an easy fix.  It is going to require patience and a lot of understanding.

You act like Central is different than any other job.  Why has Moody had success?  He teaches just as many classes. Less tradition and alumni base.  He gets his kids from a much poorer side of town.  No game field this year.  Didn't make an excuse.  They won and were close to a state title. The LRSD has tailored made the district boundaries for Central to succeed.  Go look at those zones and tell me how they make sense.  Central has a HUGE alumni base who if used correctly could help generate financial gains for the program.   Stop making excuses for Register and the program.  There aren't any.  No one wants to hear about your facilities, your class schedule, your athletic budget or how kids have transferred to the "school in PCSSD".  Kids left because of Scooter and his staff.  Just like they went to Central because its "Central", but fact of the matter is for at least right now Central isn't "Central"

Bbencathcart

LRSD wanted Scooter to retire last year but he told them no. Bolding was promised that if he want to Parkview for year that he was basically going be the next coach for Central after this year

Michiganhog

Once again totally false.  I know now how ignorant people can really be to the way this process works.  I don't mean ignorant as a bad word, just complete lack of knowledge on situations.

OlGuyWicker

Who was the last State Champ Coach at Central and didn't they run him off just a few years after he won the state? 

thebigshot

Air-warren, you're an idiot. Stay off central topic please. Go pull weeds out of my garden.

AirWarren

March 05, 2018, 09:48:22 pm #39 Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:15:52 am by AirWarren
Quote from: thebigshot on March 05, 2018, 05:03:10 pm
Air-warren, you're an idiot. Stay off central topic please. Go pull weeds out of my garden.

Brave.

Forgive me if your coach's 32-54 record at a historically prominent football school is mediocre at best. AT BEST.

Da_CountiesFinest

Quote from: Michiganhog on March 03, 2018, 08:23:31 am
Once again totally false.  I know now how ignorant people can really be to the way this process works.  I don't mean ignorant as a bad word, just complete lack of knowledge on situations.

Please explain the "process" to us.  The process that Moody at McClellan has apparently figured out but Scooter never did the second go around in LRSD.  You complain about that they're not even close to the same job, and you're right.  Central is set up for success by the LRSD but hasn't had any in a LONG time.  You brag about him being there at 7AM and leaving late, but who cares. That's the life of a coach.  I understand that coaches shouldn't always be judged by their wins and losses.  But he averaged a game over .500 for his career.  Central wasn't in a good place when he took over, but it's not much better right now either.  Look forward to hearing about the "process".  Please don't speak on kids leaving either.  Central has been getting kids for years that don't live in their attendance zone. 

AirWarren

March 06, 2018, 11:11:56 am #41 Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:14:34 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Da_CountiesFinest on March 06, 2018, 09:39:22 am
Please explain the "process" to us.  The process that Moody at McClellan has apparently figured out but Scooter never did the second go around in LRSD.  You complain about that they're not even close to the same job, and you're right.  Central is set up for success by the LRSD but hasn't had any in a LONG time.  You brag about him being there at 7AM and leaving late, but who cares. That's the life of a coach.  I understand that coaches shouldn't always be judged by their wins and losses.  But he averaged a game over .500 for his career.  Central wasn't in a good place when he took over, but it's not much better right now either.  Look forward to hearing about the "process".  Please don't speak on kids leaving either.  Central has been getting kids for years that don't live in their attendance zone. 

According to greatschools.com, LR McCllellen ranks a 1/10 as a school. LR Central ranks 7/10.

All this disadvantage talk is hot garbage. And sounds more and more like excuses to me.

Little Rock is a challenging scenario. But it's being proven at a LRSD with LESS KIDS, LESS RESOURCES, and MORE EDUCATIONAL problems that it can be done under good leadership. And IF Bolding stays at PV, it will happen there too.

Da_CountiesFinest

Quote from: AirWarren on March 06, 2018, 11:11:56 am
According to greatschools.com, LR McCllellen ranks a 1/10 as a school. LR Central ranks 7/10.

All this disadvantage talk is hot garbage. And sounds more and more like excuses to me.

Little Rock is a challenging scenario. But it's being proven at a LRSD with LESS KIDS, LESS RESOURCES, and MORE EDUCATIONAL problems that it can be done under good leadership. And IF Bolding stays at PV, it will happen there too.

Agree with you 100%.  LRSD has set Central up to have many advantages.  If Bolding stays at Parkview it'll be just another school Central people can claim is taking all their players.  Kids didn't use to leave Central.  I wonder why they do now?  It'll be said it's for the "swag or to be cool".  How does Bolding get all that stuff at Parkview?  It's an LRSD school with that daunting $4700 budget.  It's called fundraising.  Sound like some coaches at Central need to get off their butt and get to work.  Times have changed.  Have to keep up with the Joneses. 

AirWarren

I hear there is a former Warren coach on that staff. Im sure Warren would happily take him back. Great coach. And from I have heard, great teacher.

Michiganhog

You have answered your question.  These aren't excuses.  They are facts.

francocat

I'm curious: If all this chatter is solid, why wouldn't Moody be a better fit than Bolding?

AirWarren

Quote from: francocat on March 06, 2018, 02:57:07 pm
I'm curious: If all this chatter is solid, why wouldn't Moody be a better fit than Bolding?

He may be.

Michiganhog

Moody is a great coach and has done great things. He would do great at Central but the academic expectations at Central are through the roof. The principal demands eligibility and the faculty and staff hold players to the grindstone. Moody develops his players from the 9th grade on.  Other schools in the county take players that have been coached for three years by someone else.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: Michiganhog on March 07, 2018, 08:16:44 am
Moody is a great coach and has done great things. He would do great at Central but the academic expectations at Central are through the roof. The principal demands eligibility and the faculty and staff hold players to the grindstone. Moody develops his players from the 9th grade on.  Other schools in the county take players that have been coached for three years by someone else.

So are you saying other schools in the county are playing ineligible players or that Central holds their kids to a higher standard than a 2.0? And lets calm down on the Moody developing kids from the 9th grade on. 3 of the starters on his team were at Fair as 9th graders.

Michiganhog

As far as kids that are transferring being ineligible yes but as far as grades I don't have a clue.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas