• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White Hall hosting Van Buren

Started by Lionheart88, September 03, 2014, 10:28:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionheart88

It'll be the first time in a long time that a top-classification team has come to Bulldog Stadium.  Ever, as far as I know, but I'm sure there's a game back there somewhere I don't know about.  Oughta be an interesting game.  A good 5A team loaded with seniors against a team that is two classes higher, but a bottom feeder in their division.  I'll go ahead and say that I know nothing at all about VB beside what their FF page says.  Anybody know them better?  Anybody have enough of a handle on both teams to make a comparison?  Hooten's has us by 2, so I'll take my alma mater at home, but that's as much my pro-White Hall bias and total ignorance of VB talking as it is any kind of informed opinion.  It's just been so long since we played a team that size or from up that way that I really don't know what to predict here.  Anybody else got any thoughts, predictions, rude remarks, etc?

WPWells

I like White Hall by a touchdown in this one

Tripod1

Check my post in the 7A thread.  Should be a competitive game.  VB will play hard and will be well coached.  Not sure they have enough weapons to come down and get a win. 

rona

Heard VB has had 5 or 6 Move Ins - All legal - and all will start. VB gone from maybe 1 win to I believe a 6-4 Team this year, including a win at White Hall.

Lionheart88

I was trying to find a program and missed the first score; VB elected to receive and when I walked in at the 11:00 mark they were up 7-0 about to kick it back to WH.

Lionheart88

September 05, 2014, 07:09:37 pm #5 Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:14:22 pm by Lionheart88
Kirk Baugh picked off at the 20, VB ball.

On 3rd & 9 VB throws a 56 yard TD pass, tries and fails the swinging gate on the XP.  13-0 VB at the 9:15 mark in the 1st.

Lionheart88

September 05, 2014, 07:22:30 pm #6 Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:26:04 pm by Lionheart88
I don't know what the heck kind of weird formation WH just ran, the QB was out wide and a WR took the snap, but he (SR Devin Buckner) ran it in for the TD.  13-7 VB leads with 7:34 left in the 1st quarter.

WH senior K Joseph Failla with a touchdown-saving horsecollar tackle on the ensuing kickoff.  Nice to have a kicker who ran in the state 4x100m as a sophomore.

Lionheart88

VB gets close to the goal line but then stalls and misses a FG.  WH ball on their own 20.....and then rushes for 30 on the first play.  Near the midfield strip now.

Lionheart88

Bulldog drive eventually stalls but Failla puts one through the uprights from 34 yards.  13-10 VB leads with 2:13 remaining in the 1st.

Lionheart88

VB punches it in as the 1st expires, but fails the 2 PT play.  They lead 19-10 after a quarter.

Lionheart88

White Hall tried a fake punt that came up just shy, VB took the short field and ran it in, settled for 1 this time.  They lead 26-10 with 10:22 remaining in the 2nd.

SECFOOTBALLFAN

Lionheart88

Bit of a comedy of errors the last few plays over here.  WH picks VB off in Pointer territory, turns it over on downs, then recovers a fumble (with late hit tacked on) even deeper in Pointer territory, but can only make 3 out of it.  VB leads 26-13 with 4:29 left in the half.

....oh, and now a block in the back on the ensuing kick backs VB up to their own 9.

Lionheart88

Pointers forced to punt but then the Bulldogs fumble it away.  Like I was saying, comedy of errors...

Lionheart88

Quote from: SECFOOTBALLFAN on September 05, 2014, 08:12:07 pm
White Hall sucks. Where's Ghost??
Not as bad as Chapel does, that's the most important thing.

Lionheart88

White Hall player down motionless on the turf for a while but he's up and headed to the sideline under his own power now.  On the same play, WH recovered another fumble, on their own 2 this time.  They've got 1:51 before the half to make something happen.

Lionheart88

After some early miscues, White Hall is really starting to find some holes in the VB defense.  Several double digit gains into the red zone on this drive.

SECFOOTBALLFAN

Quote from: Lionheart88 on September 05, 2014, 08:22:50 pm
Quote from: SECFOOTBALLFAN on September 05, 2014, 08:12:07 pm
White Hall sucks. Where's Ghost??
Not as bad as Chapel does, that's the most important thing.

Fine fine. You're right lately

I really think you should find a new bar to compare to....

Lionheart88

"Better than Chapel" is the baseline for an acceptable season.  If they beat us it was a bad year, I don't care what else happened.  If we beat them, then we can start to consider it possibly a good year and talk about other goals like making the playoffs, advancing in the playoffs, etc.

Lionheart88

Again out of the "Wild Dog" (as they're calling it in the pressbox) Buckner runs the ball in, Failla's kick is good, Bulldogs trail 26-20 with 11:24 remaining in the ballgame.

Lionheart88

VB slips a receiver behind coverage and he goes 45 yards for the score.  Pointers lead 34-20 after finally making a 2 point conversion.  9:26 in the game.

Lionheart88

White Hall scored late to make it 34-27, but the onside kick rolled a little too far and VB ran the clock out.

Lionheart88

Well, I enjoyed the game overall.  You could really see the size and strength of VB, they jumped out to an early 14-0 lead, but White Hall clawed their way back into it and, while they never quite tied it, they made a game of it.  Both teams had big momentum swings in their favor.  I felt like White Hall got out-played and out-physicaled, but Van Buren got out-coached.  White Hall really seemed to make better adjustments as the game went on, where VB was more reliant (from my biased POV anyway) on just muscling through.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas