• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Harrison Golden Goblins

Started by Go Postal, August 04, 2014, 09:16:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

August 04, 2014, 09:16:59 pm Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:41:37 pm by Go Postal

I noticed that Hootens had the GOBS picked #3 in the West and #13 in the 5A conference for preseason.
I believe that maxpreps had the GOBS at #16 in the 5A conference for preseason.

Harrison strengths are Skilled Positions
Harrison weaknesses are OL

Goblins returning starters:
Offensive Starters   6
Defensive Starters   6
Starting Quarterback Returning > yes
Top Running Back Returning > no
Top Receiver Returning > yes
Top OL Returning > yes
Top Defender Returning > yes

This cycle and season starts in the West with Alma, Shiloh Christian and Huntsville gone, Farmington, Little Rock Christian Academy and Maumelle coming into the West.  Clarksville, Greenbrier, Morrilton and Vilonia are still in the West with Harrison.

Here is the non conference schedule and it is a Harrison "Old Rivalry" non conference schedule with now 6A teams...

Mountain Home:  Harrison leads the series 8-5-0
@ Siloam Springs:  Siloam Springs leads the series 6-5-0
Alma (2013 5A Semifinalist):  Alma leads the series 10-3-0

West Conference games...
Maumelle:  FIRST meeting of schools!
@ Little Rock Christian Academy:  Series TIED: 1-1-0
@ Morrilton (2013 5A State Champs):  Morrilton leads series, 7-6-0
Clarksville:  Harrison leads series, 3-2-0
Greenbrier:  Harrison leads series, 9-4-0
@ Vilonia:  Vilonia leads series, 8-4-0
Farmington:  Harrison leads series, 2-0-0

Mtn Home game will be at 7:30, all other games will be at 7:00 due to length of travel.  I'm not sure yet if GOBTV will be live streaming for those who could not make the games, but those high school kids did a good job last year for football and basketball seasons.

Your comments, insights and speculation are welcomed...

The Future

Harrison is on a steady rise. A steady slow one but still a rise. Almost like Wynne was/is.
Are they good enough this season to compete for conference? No. I played out the conference weeks and there's one game Harrison NEEDS to win to get into the playoffs. Vilonia. Harrison will beat Farmington, Maumelle, and Clarksville. Morrilton, Greenbrier, and LRC will be the top 3 seeds and will most likely be losses. A win against one or especially 2 of those 3 teams will only push Harrison up the seed ladder.
I also think Vilonia has the same luck against the other 6 teams. So with both Goblins and Eagles at 3-3 against the other teams,  the winner could very well be the 4th seed.
But as we all know, nothing is 100% in the West.

I think Harrison goes 4-3.
Worst case they just completely blow it and go 2-5 with Maumelle and Farmington being their 2 wins.
Best case they beat the trio of Maumelle, Farmington, and Clarksville. As well as Vilonia. And if the trio of Brier, Motown, and LRC all beat each other and Harrison upsets Morrilton (Brier and LRC will be losses), Harrison could maybe finish 5-2 3rd seed.

Go Postal

Two games last year that Harrison shouldn't have lost was to Greenbrier by 4 and Vilonia by 3 but did lose due to Goblin mistakes.  All three teams have seasoned since then and those games should be very interesting.

The Future

Quote from: Go Postal on August 04, 2014, 10:44:47 pm
Two games last year that Harrison shouldn't have lost was to Greenbrier by 4 and Vilonia by 3 but did lose due to Goblin mistakes.  All three teams have seasoned since then and those games should be very interesting.

Seasoned? Hmm. Seasoned Panther? Nahh. Seasoned Eagle?? Maybe.
Now seasoned Goblin sounds good! Haha. I remember one Greenwood pep rally before a Harrison game back in the Peacock days where we had some good ol Goblin stew. I'll tell ya, had that stuff been canned and sold, Goblins would be a endangered species!  :D

Go Postal

Of the preseason "rivalry" games,

I will enjoy watching my old alma mater, Mtn Home Bombers, to see how they are doing with their new coach and see if they go back to the wishbone or trying various spread, etc.  Rivalry since the dawn of Arkansas high school history.

Siloam Springs Panthers were always a "pain in the backside" when they were in our conference, in any sports.  Another great local rivalry.  I'm curious to see how they have evolved since they went to the 6A.

But one game that I will really enjoy seeing is in week 3.  Alma Airedales have been a great team to play against since our first meeting.  Always a tough game.  This game will help Goblin coaches to set the standard going into the 5A West conference season.  I will like to see BillyJack and the rest of the AiredaleNation once again.  Steve Perry, if you are going up to Branson, MO for a get-away, stop by this game and say hello.  We will have the Stage ready. ;)
(side note:  I heard today that the Lady Goblins will receive their 4th State Championship Rings for "That Sport That Shalt Not Be Mentioned In Alma That Sport That Shall Might Be Soon Mentioned In Alma" and cement the fact that Harrison is tied for 1st place with 10 Championships wins of all conferences since 1998 in that sport. ;D  This is a great accomplishment for our town.  I'm sorry my Airedale brethren, I had nothing to do with the timing of this event, but I did think that the timing was hilarious. ;) Anyway, back to football...)

Go Postal

Quote from: The Future on August 05, 2014, 09:04:13 pm

Now seasoned Goblin sounds good! Haha. I remember one Greenwood pep rally before a Harrison game back in the Peacock days where we had some good ol Goblin stew. I'll tell ya, had that stuff been canned and sold, Goblins would be a endangered species!  :D
Greenbrier Panthers, watch out this season, enjoy your 4 point win from last year.
Vilonia Eagles, I was very impressed with your sophomore stepping up or as I can remember from sevenof400's text, "Wow!  Freaking Sophomores".  Enjoy your 3 point win from last year.
Greenwood Bulldogs (when you were 5A West), yes, I did smell the barbecue, over the years, except in '08.  Hoped you guys washed up with...

The Future

Quote from: Go Postal on August 05, 2014, 09:27:25 pm

Greenbrier Panthers, watch out this season, enjoy your 4 point win from last year.
Vilonia Eagles, I was very impressed with your sophomore stepping up or as I can remember from sevenof400's text, "Wow!  Freaking Sophomores".  Enjoy your 3 point win from last year.
Greenwood Bulldogs (when you were 5A West), yes, I did smell the barbecue, over the years, except in '08.  Hoped you guys washed up with...

Ah I see yall still have Tommy Tice as the Goblin Soap spokesman/mascot  :D

Go Postal

That's funny!   But I think that you are right about Harbison and coaches leading the Goblins to be epic in the 5A West.  Slow but steady.  If I remember right, Tice's first year he did pretty good but he was called into the office and he thought that he was going to get kudos for turning this Goblin team around.  Instead he heard, "Son, if you want to keep this job, you have to beat the Bombers".  He was here for 29 years. ;)

The Future

Quote from: Go Postal on August 05, 2014, 09:46:55 pm
That's funny!   But I think that you are right about Harbison and coaches leading the Goblins to be epic in the 5A West.  Slow but steady.  If I remember right, Tice's first year he did pretty good but he was called into the office and he thought that he was going to get kudos for turning this Goblin team around.  Instead he heard, "Son, if you want to keep this job, you have to beat the Bombers".  He was here for 29 years. ;)

Sometimes even the great coaches need that "now listen, son" motivational speech lol. I imagine how many times Lunney or Jones or Vines heard that speech from people  :o

MoTownDog

Quote from: The Future on August 05, 2014, 09:34:36 pm
Quote from: Go Postal on August 05, 2014, 09:27:25 pm

Ah I see yall still have Tommy Tice as the Goblin Soap spokesman/mascot  :D

What about us?   Can we enjoy our 40 point win last year?

Go Postal

Of course, MoTownDog.  After that game, I knew that you guys would at least get in to the final four games.  Then we know what happened.  Great season Devil Dogs.  But you know that draws a bulls eye on your back as one of the teams that other teams have to beat to progress up the ladder.  Wish you the best of Luck this year.  I noticed that 3 of the Goblins "need to win" games this year are at Morrilton, LRCA and Vilonia.

(preseason football, but other Goblin Sports side note:  I noticed in the paper today that the Golden Goblins had a 3-peat golf tournament win against Bentonville, Fayetteville and all those other bigger schools. ;D  Nice.  Maybe pantherblue has been giving them lessons. ;)  Back to Football...)

MoTownDog

Quote from: Go Postal on August 08, 2014, 07:48:22 pm
Of course, MoTownDog.  After that game, I knew that you guys would at least get in to the final four games.  Then we know what happened.  Great season Devil Dogs.  But you know that draws a bulls eye on your back as one of the teams that other teams have to beat to progress up the ladder.  Wish you the best of Luck this year.  I noticed that 3 of the Goblins "need to win" games this year are at Morrilton, LRCA and Vilonia.

(preseason football, but other Goblin Sports side note:  I noticed in the paper today that the Golden Goblins had a 3-peat golf tournament win against Bentonville, Fayetteville and all those other bigger schools. ;D  Nice.  Maybe pantherblue has been giving them lessons. ;)  Back to Football...)

To be honest with you, I'm not real sure what we are going to have this year.  We lost a lot of key players and one of our really good linebackers is out with a knee injury.  I do know we will have a really good O-line and a really good running back.  We may just have to play keep-away this year like Batesville does.  We should be in the top 3 in our conference but really don't see us hanging with the big boys in post season.

Go Postal

(Goblin side note:  Saw in the paper today about the changes that will be happening in the 5A for sports other than football in 2016.  Not yet sure of what I think about this yet.
Also saw that Harrison Golden Goblins claimed the runner-up in a Golf tournament down in North Little Rock at The Greens followed by Collierville, TN, Maumelle, North Little Rock, Hot Springs Lakeside, Bryant, LRCA, and Russellville.  Congrats Conway for the win.  I guess that pantherblue is giving golf tips not only to Harrison, but also to Maumelle. ;D

Anyway, High School Soccer is over, World Cup is over, biding my time with any sports and waiting for American High School Football to start ;) ...)

Go Postal

Football will be starting soon.  Harrison will play their old rivals in the first 3 weeks, who are all now in the 6A. Mtn. Home, Siloam Springs and Alma.  The Goblins will start their season playing against their oldest local rival, the 6A Mountain Home Bombers (my old alma mater) on 9/5/14.  I'm guessing that this rivalry started back around 1929(?) in any sport back then.

(I know that the helmets have changed over the years, but the song remains the same)

I have seen how the Goblins have done so far in summer tournaments, pretty good.  I haven't checked with family in Baxter county on what the Bombers are doing yet.  I want to go to this game and be a fan of both.  I believe that Mtn. Home has a new coach this year and I'm curious to see what they will bring to the table against their old rivals.  I'm also curious to see what the Goblins can bring to the table this year.  Yes, I am getting first game jitters as a fan, especially since I'm a fan of both teams.

Comments and insights on this game are welcomed.

Drama Mama ™

My thoughts ? Show up, kick some bomber butt and leave . . . . . . yea........ that's my thoughts on it !  Short, sweet and simple thoughts ! But MY thoughts !  ;)  Kind of talking to yourself on here GP.  Just trying to help out a little  :)

Go Postal

InYoGrill

August 19, 2014, 09:30:09 pm #16 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:42:41 pm by InYoGrill
Quote from: Go Postal on August 19, 2014, 07:31:02 pm
Saw this in the paper, very interesting.

Here's the link...

http://harrisondaily.com/football_frenzy/a-west-will-sport-some-new-looks/article_2c5ae23e-25ac-11e4-8c09-0019bb2963f4.html

IYG from Vilonia will love this...

Yup!! 

How about some of this goblin?

InYoGrill

August 19, 2014, 09:33:30 pm #17 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:40:22 pm by InYoGrill
Come get some Goblin! I may be in the press box for that game. Maybe running the clock or scoreboard.  ;D

Go Postal

IYG, buddy, make sure you use the [ img ] [ /img ] insert photo tag from ff.  LOL!

Like this...

I know we are getting older and no worries, I won't tell pantherblue about this. ;)

Never mind, I see you corrected it. ;D

Go Postal

Quote from: InYoGrill on August 19, 2014, 09:33:30 pm
Come get some Goblin! I may be in the press box for that game. Maybe running the clock or scoreboard.  ;D

Shoot, the game is already lost. ;D

InYoGrill

Quote from: Go Postal on August 19, 2014, 10:01:55 pm
IYG, buddy, make sure you use the [ img ] [ /img ] insert photo tag from ff.  LOL!

Like this...

I know we are getting older and no worries, I won't tell pantherblue about this. ;)

Never mind, I see you corrected it. ;D

LOL! Took me a little bit to remember how to copy paste it. I was determined to remember. I can't let you one up me on here.  ;)

I'll fire up Blue soon and get his sorry panzie tail on here some.

pantherblue

Sept 2nd Greenbrier beats Beebe at War Memorial. Be there IYG!!

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on August 20, 2014, 11:01:29 pm
Sept 2nd Greenbrier beats Beebe at War Memorial. Be there IYG!!

Are you kidding? Get off that Mayflower water Blue. BB will be rubber stamp Briar on the forehead. Dead wing belly left and right will gas your panthers out by the 2nd half.  BB also has a great band every year. I know the  band director. Maybe I could get their tuba players to sit and play on both sides of your head. LOL!!

BB 45 Briar 24.

Go Postal

August 29, 2014, 10:30:28 pm #23 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:38:24 pm by Go Postal
Any scores or insights about the scimmage game tonight against our old local rival, now 4A Huntsville?

Anyway, we start the season, next week starting to play against local/semi local rival 6A teams.  Mtn Home (home), Siloam Springs (away) and Alma (home)  Nice.

Go Postal

Here is a Springfield, MO TV video review link on the Mtn. Home at Harrison game.

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/pages/19848896.php?

Great Job Goblins!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas