• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Salt Bowl on

Started by Walter, March 30, 2018, 06:26:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

Mulerider4Life

Good deal. Glad they have it on a Saturday. Very curious where they will have this game if they close War Memorial Stadium.

Walter

Ok I'll bite. Who is considering closing WM and why?

Lumberjackfan1978

Don't think they are gonna close WM

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: SardisHog on April 02, 2018, 06:31:46 pm
Ok I'll bite. Who is considering closing WM and why?

Follow any news outlet. They are talking about the cost of to update it vs turning into a central park.

Mulerider4Life

Personally, I don't think they will close it. UALR will be getting a football team eventually. The Salt Bowl is played there. UAPB AND U of A use it. There is talk of more music being played there. I think the future looks bright. I guess the news reports more on speculation.

Walter

WM can survive without the hogs. It is a shame if they have to after it was such a big part of the hogs program.

friscokid

It's a chicken and egg deal with the Hogs. To entice them to play more there at WMS they need to expand it to 70K +. But they won't expand it as long as they barely draw half of that to a game.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: friscokid on April 04, 2018, 02:26:41 am
It's a chicken and egg deal with the Hogs. To entice them to play more there at WMS they need to expand it to 70K +. But they won't expand it as long as they barely draw half of that to a game.

I think you could see a future expanding of a small upper deck. I think parks and rec will really think hard on how it can be utilized. The population of Arkansas is growing and I feel like WM will be used for more outdoor concerts/music festivals. Just because the cost to rent is so much cheaper than Verizon.

Oldbadger

Hard to see the Hogs being a factor when the Salt Bowl draws more in attendance.  Perhaps a few more local high schools could play a game there. I could see maybe Conway/Cabot, or NLR/Central. I agree it is doubtful there will ever be a stadium expansion. As some others have mentioned, drawing different audiences is the way they will go. I also agree that it won't be closed. It would be nice if the Hogs would play an SEC opponent there, but they would lose too much money.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 12, 2018, 08:36:03 pm
Hard to see the Hogs being a factor when the Salt Bowl draws more in attendance.  Perhaps a few more local high schools could play a game there. I could see maybe Conway/Cabot, or NLR/Central. I agree it is doubtful there will ever be a stadium expansion. As some others have mentioned, drawing different audiences is the way they will go. I also agree that it won't be closed. It would be nice if the Hogs would play an SEC opponent there, but they would lose too much money.

Possible future UCA game there against A-State?

x14113

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 12, 2018, 08:36:03 pm
Perhaps a few more local high schools could play a game there. I could see maybe Conway/Cabot, or NLR/Central.

You'd have to work around Catholic High's home schedule to pull that off.

Unless the Rockets are committing to their own venue full-time?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: x14113 on May 15, 2018, 03:28:38 am
You'd have to work around Catholic High's home schedule to pull that off.

Unless the Rockets are committing to their own venue full-time?

Nahh Rockets don't have the seating available at their practice field. UCA would play on Saturday? Not Friday. I think you could see North Little Rock play some of their biggest games there if the sell out there home place. UALR will play there, its just a matter of time.

Oldbadger

Well, minutes ago Channel 7 said the Hogs and Mizzou will play at War Memorial every other year. Well, its a start, and good news. Should fill the stadium with that game.

Walter

It better or the games wont last out the length of the contract that they sign.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Oldbadger on May 16, 2018, 10:08:25 pm
Well, minutes ago Channel 7 said the Hogs and Mizzou will play at War Memorial every other year. Well, its a start, and good news. Should fill the stadium with that game.

I think you are right. I think they will fill that stadium for that game. I think the Ole Miss game will be good this year as well.

Lumberjackfan1978

If they play teams like that they will probably fill the stadium. Heck they wouldn't fill the stadium in Fayetteville with Alcorn state or sisters of the poor.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on June 12, 2018, 10:11:23 pm
If they play teams like that they will probably fill the stadium. Heck they wouldn't fill the stadium in Fayetteville with Alcorn state or sisters of the poor.

Really hope the XFL has a team here. I could see them having 20,000 in the stadium for that.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas