• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3rd Fort Smith School

Started by RBLtoHOG, August 29, 2014, 09:55:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RBLtoHOG

First let me introduce myself. I'm from Fort Smith and graduated from Southside in 2005 (hence the name, I went from a Rebel to a Hog... or at least that was the plan until I got hit by a semi and stayed here to go to UAFS). I've been living in Dallas the past 3 years but just moved back last weekend and plan on going to some games. Was a sophomore for the 2002 season when we beat Springdale to win State. Got a pretty sweet ring to show for it.

Anyways, there has been discussion for a while about a 3rd Fort Smith High School. Nothing is solid, it wouldn't be any time soon. A lot of people are against it, mostly stating financial reasons. The reasoning behind it is because of increasing enrollment and the fact that they are in talks to have Freshman at the high schools instead of Junior High.

Of course my concerns are football related. What kind of impact would this have on sports for SHS and NHS?

Are classifications dependent on school size or city size? Would we still compete in the 7A but with less talent to pull from or would we drop to a lower classification?

I would much prefer them just expand the current schools but was just curious on some other takes on what this would mean for the two current schools. 

Lionheart88

Classifications are determined via a 3-year average of 9-11th grade enrollment.  If the current enrollment of Southside and Northside (going off the latest numbers that determined classes for the current cycle) are added together and divided by three (that is, assuming an even distribution of the current population) each school would have 1057.78 students, good for plopping them right between Benton and El Dorado, which would be numbers 18-20, all among the larger schools in 6A.

wildcat_x-mgr

What would number three be called? Eastside or something?

Lionheart88

Seems like I heard Eastside or Westside in the last thread this topic was brought up in.  Don't remember which though.  They're an imaginative bunch, the good people of Fort Smith.  Oughta call it "Isaac Parker High", the teams could be the "Hangin' Judges".

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 29, 2014, 10:07:53 pm
Classifications are determined via a 3-year average of 9-11th grade enrollment.  If the current enrollment of Southside and Northside (going off the latest numbers that determined classes for the current cycle) are added together and divided by three (that is, assuming an even distribution of the current population) each school would have 1057.78 students, good for plopping them right between Benton and El Dorado, which would be numbers 18-20, all among the larger schools in 6A.

Cool thanks.

I wouldn't be too excited about that. I've enjoyed rivalries with Spingdale, Fayetteville, Bentonville, etc.

There are currently some teams in the 6A that we were in the same conference with back when I was there and the highest classification was 5A but still wouldn't be the same.

Lionheart88

Here a link to the most recent numbers, if you're interested: http://arkcda.org/temp/1416classifications.pdf

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on August 29, 2014, 10:24:13 pm
What would number three be called? Eastside or something?

I heard that and I heard some things going in a different direction to set them apart.

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 29, 2014, 10:34:47 pm
Seems like I heard Eastside or Westside in the last thread this topic was brought up in.  Don't remember which though.  They're an imaginative bunch, the good people of Fort Smith.  Oughta call it "Isaac Parker High", the teams could be the "Hangin' Judges".

I didn't realize there was already a thread on this topic. My bad.

Lionheart88

August 29, 2014, 10:43:17 pm #8 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:48:58 pm by Lionheart88
It's been months, no big deal.  It may not even have been about this, just that the topic came up as the thread wandered.

Edit: found it.  February, in a thread about a different topic:  http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=131898.msg2935879#msg2935879

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 29, 2014, 10:43:17 pm
It's been months, no big deal.  It may not even have been about this, just that the topic came up as the thread wandered.

Edit: found it.  February, in a thread about a different topic:  http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=131898.msg2935879#msg2935879

Gotcha. Thanks. I'm an admin for a Razorback MB so I know duplicate threads can get annoying.  ;D

Excited to be back in Arkansas and see some Arkansas HS games. Went to a few in the Dallas area and I'm not gonna lie... there were a few times I was scared for my life. ESPECIALLY if they had a stud on the team that was considering Arkansas (always wore my Razorback hat).

GuvHog

If that were to happen along with Bentonville splitting and the Jacksonville-North Pulaski Merger, there would be some big changes in the classifications.

Brian G

Lions84

That would be EPIC!!!

60Hog

Quote from: RBLtoHOG on August 29, 2014, 09:55:00 pm
First let me introduce myself. I'm from Fort Smith and graduated from Southside in 2005 (hence the name, I went from a Rebel to a Hog... or at least that was the plan until I got hit by a semi and stayed here to go to UAFS). I've been living in Dallas the past 3 years but just moved back last weekend and plan on going to some games. Was a sophomore for the 2002 season when we beat Springdale to win State. Got a pretty sweet ring to show for it.

Anyways, there has been discussion for a while about a 3rd Fort Smith High School. Nothing is solid, it wouldn't be any time soon. A lot of people are against it, mostly stating financial reasons. The reasoning behind it is because of increasing enrollment and the fact that they are in talks to have Freshman at the high schools instead of Junior High.

Of course my concerns are football related. What kind of impact would this have on sports for SHS and NHS?

Are classifications dependent on school size or city size? Would we still compete in the 7A but with less talent to pull from or would we drop to a lower classification?

I would much prefer them just expand the current schools but was just curious on some other takes on what this would mean for the two current schools.

Don't want to sound mean but can't believe that you think a school's classification may depend on city size.

Lions84

This would be great.

AirWarren

I thought Greenwood was the 3rd Fort Smith School.

phdefense

Quote from: AirWarren on October 21, 2014, 10:35:40 am
I thought Greenwood was the 3rd Fort Smith School.
They are, their district line goes into FS.

tmycjy

Hey u don't think it will be fort smith central

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas