• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical Wire Question

Started by 4.1forty, August 01, 2014, 11:29:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

4.1forty

So my ceiling light just quit working in my living room in the house...

I've checked the bulb obviously, and even replaced light switch.  Still nothing....

so I tested the wires that I hooked the light switch to and they seem to very weak b/c the light on my tester barely lights up.   I tested the other outlets in my house and they all test with a BRIGHT light on my tester....

as you can tell I am not an electrician nor have much common sense when it comes to this stuff.....

any ideas?
thanks

ricepig

220, 221?? Sorry, couldn't help myself. My advice, call an electrician, though it does sound like the wiring to me.

cuckoobird

Quote from: 4.1forty on August 01, 2014, 11:29:21 am
So my ceiling light just quit working in my living room in the house...

I've checked the bulb obviously, and even replaced light switch.  Still nothing....

so I tested the wires that I hooked the light switch to and they seem to very weak b/c the light on my tester barely lights up.   I tested the other outlets in my house and they all test with a BRIGHT light on my tester....

as you can tell I am not an electrician nor have much common sense when it comes to this stuff.....

any ideas?
thanks
I would bet, that a wire has gotten loose from the switch or plug in that provides the power to your light but unless you know where the wire is connected I would take RP's advice and call an electrician . One more option may be to replace the breaker, sometimes they become weak.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: cuckoobird on August 01, 2014, 01:52:32 pm
One more option may be to replace the breaker, sometimes they become weak.

That's the best next option before you call the electrician.

I'd invest in a good, moderately-priced voltmeter if this continues to be a problem.

BillyJack™

4.1 , find you an electrician to look into. It sounds like you're using common sense to track the problem and in most cases that's cool, but not with house electrical. You could burn down your house or worst yet get yourself seriously hurt. If there's power to that switch but it's bleeding off somewhere you need to get it checked out. The simple fact that you're using a light tester instead of a VOM tells me you don't have the experience to mess with it.

Lions84

4.1forty

Quote from: Lions84 on August 25, 2014, 02:37:23 pm
Did you call an Electrician.
Not yet.  but will before I mess with it again.  thanks for the advice everyone.   

Jacketman65

Quote from: 4.1forty on September 01, 2014, 09:37:06 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on August 25, 2014, 02:37:23 pm
Did you call an Electrician.
Not yet.  but will before I mess with it again.  thanks for the advice everyone.
You do know that your place could burn down with this kind of problem!

AirWarren

Got my own issues. I called an electrician this morning. I have two outlets(one in the master, one in the garage) that have not worked since our last ice/snow storm. Anyone have any idea what it may be? I have reset the breaker a couple of times to those outlets but to no avail. Guess I am going to have to fork over the money for this guy to come fix it.

Lions84

Get the Electrician in there. If I was living near by I could take my volt meter and track it down.

cuckoobird

Quote from: AirWarren on September 02, 2014, 09:55:51 am
Got my own issues. I called an electrician this morning. I have two outlets(one in the master, one in the garage) that have not worked since our last ice/snow storm. Anyone have any idea what it may be? I have reset the breaker a couple of times to those outlets but to no avail. Guess I am going to have to fork over the money for this guy to come fix it.
sounds like you could have a similar problem. Most outlets are run in a series and when a wire comes loose it will deaden all outlets past the connection.

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 02, 2014, 10:46:04 am
sounds like you could have a similar problem. Most outlets are run in a series and when a wire comes loose it will deaden all outlets past the connection.

Quote from: Lions84 on September 02, 2014, 10:19:19 am
Get the Electrician in there. If I was living near by I could take my volt meter and track it down.

I called an electrician. So we will see. Hopefully they can get to our house today or sometime next week.

bleudog

September 02, 2014, 03:59:40 pm #12 Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:01:27 pm by bleudog

Garage outlets are usually GFCI (just like kitchens and baths).  Those can either be at the outlet or at the breaker.  I had a GFCI breaker in the box go bad on me once.  Replaced the breaker and all was well.

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on September 02, 2014, 03:59:40 pm

Garage outlets are usually GFCI (just like kitchens and baths).  Those can either be at the outlet or at the breaker.  I had a GFCI breaker in the box go bad on me once.  Replaced the breaker and all was well.

Yep, especially if you have a refrigerator you keep in your garage. I had one go out a few years ago, myself.

Lions84

Never put Freezers or Refrigerators on a GFI circuit they are too easy to trip and it will cost you hundreds of bucks in lost food.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas