• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Softball Question (Did the Umpire handle this right?)

Started by doober3, May 05, 2014, 04:40:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

doober3

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs.  Ground ball hit towards second base, 2nd baseman scoops and throws to 1st but brings the 1st baseman off the bag.  1st baseman catches and throws home.  Catcher standing on the plate catches the ball and goes for the tag.  Before the tag could be clearly made the plate umpire calls the runner out.  (He assumed it was a force?)  The play continues and the catcher tags out the runner. 

Offensive coaches complain that it wasn't a force (it wasn't of course). 

Here is what the umpires ended up doing:  Runner at home is SAFE, runner going to 1st is SAFE and the other runner advanced to 3rd.  He said he had to call a "dead ball" at the point he called the runner out at home. 

I have no clue about Softball rules, but it seems to me that if you call a "dead ball" before a runner touches a base, shouldn't the runner be sent back to the previous base?

Any explanation would be appreciated and, for the record, I'm glad I wasn't the umpire!

minerjack

Get a lawyer out there.  He should be able to strike a deal and remember the rule book! haha

OB11

I could be totally wrong on this, but it seems that the "dead ball" call would mean it's a dead ball once the play is completed.  So technically since their was no force out, the runner would have been safe at home and all other runners safe.  Think ground rule double.  Ball goes over fence before runner gets to second, but the runner still gets second base.

Again, could be wrong in my thinking but this just makes sense to me.  I don't have the rule book in front of me to look it up. 

SantaHog

In the OP's original post he said concerning the play at the plate, "The play continues and the catcher tags out the runner".  If the catcher did tag out the runner, then the runner is out at home.

The runner on second should have been allowed to remain at third, unless the home plate umpire did actually call "dead ball" before the runner had obtained third.  This is because the defense had the opportunity to put the runner out during the play, but did not.

True Fan

Total screw up, no doubt. When an umpire makes a mistake, the best resolution favors neither team. Just from the details given, I would have;

Used "umpire judgement" to determine whether the if runner was tagged out legitimately or if she she had slowed up when the out was called.

If she was getting out either way, she's still out, the inning is over.

If I affected her running and possibly contributed to the tag, I Would declare the "dead ball" and return her to third.

I don't think that there is any way I would award home on the dead ball.

doober3

Quote from: True Fan on May 08, 2014, 10:01:49 am
Total screw up, no doubt. When an umpire makes a mistake, the best resolution favors neither team. Just from the details given, I would have;

Used "umpire judgement" to determine whether the if runner was tagged out legitimately or if she she had slowed up when the out was called.

If she was getting out either way, she's still out, the inning is over.

If I affected her running and possibly contributed to the tag, I Would declare the "dead ball" and return her to third.

I don't think that there is any way I would award home on the dead ball.
I'm almost positive that once the runner coming home was called out on the "force", everyone (including the umpire) considered the inning over.  I can't say whether or not he was watching the play continue. 

I agree that all other runners should be safe at all other bases, and luckily, the run did not win or lose the game for either team.  Both teams were in the dugouts when the umpire brought both teams back onto the field for the extra out.

Earl is my Hero!!

Rule 10, Section 2, Article 3, part M:

The plate umpire has authority to rectify any situation in which an umpire's decision that was reversed has placed either team in jeopardy

doober3

ANOTHER QUESTION:

I've heard many people say that sliding into home is required when there is a close play?  Is this correct? 

cuckoobird

In HS play you must avoid collision but sliding isnt required. I think anyway

True Fan

blue4hire

No division of baseball or softball has a rule at the national level requiring players to slide. If there is a "must slide rule" it is a local park rule at the youth level. Almost all the various rule sets have the terminology: player must slide or seek to avoid contact.

doober3

Busman

No such thing as a slide rule.  We use calculators now.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas