• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wahls (OBU)

Started by OPoraquê, March 18, 2013, 06:50:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

March 18, 2013, 06:50:35 pm Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:04:38 pm by OPoraquê
In some states (at the hs level, but humor me) categories as music and drama are treated with the same level of recognition in interscholastic activities as athletics.

With that in mind, it was interesting to see Ouachita Baptist set a state record for first place finishes in last month's historic Arkansas NATS competition, which seems to be the intercollegiate equivalent of the NCAA for voice/solo musical theatre competition.  What's fascinating is that it's everyone against everyone in those competitions.  OBU (or any other Arkansas college/university) vs. any Arkansas college/university that fields an entry.  U of A's been there the past few years...saw every DI school except them listed on the finalists this year.  What I meant by "historic" was that the number of both students and teachers at the intercollegiate level was the highest ever for this competition, so OBU wasn't just dominating a small field.

Last school year, OBU tied with the U. of Southern Mississippi in the NATS Southern region competition for most first place finishers.  There are some good small colleges as well, but every D-I school in that region (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi) save Tulane has represented in that competition in recent years.  This also after an OBU graduate from last school year won the first ever NATS Musical Theatre national competition and took second place in the Lotte Lenya voice competition...facing off against singers from pretty much everywhere.  (Not to be outdone, it was just announced that an OBU trombonist from instrumental was the only undergrad among three finalists in a national trombone competition.)

I know you'd said OBU and HSU (sadly) were having issues with music.  Sad that OBU doesn't have an orchestra.  But...they've made a few good accomplishments recently vs. the regional "big boys".  With Arkansas taking on a gradual more prominent place in the American visual art world I'm curious to see what may happen in the arts elsewhere.  (Don't get me wrong, Arkansas won't be Texas...might not even be Louisiana.  But high school arts are really getting a boost in NW Arkansas and probably so in LR, too.  Hope some of the high school kids stick around.)

Lions84

OBU is working hard to build a Great Music and Voice Program.  We are looking at OBU because they got a good Panio program for my daughter.

sevenof400

Quote from: Lions84 on April 04, 2013, 12:09:54 pm
OBU is working hard to build a Great Music and Voice Program.  We are looking at OBU because they got a good Panio program for my daughter.

Pi-ani??
Po-ani??
Po-tatoe??
Po-tah-toe??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas