• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billie football

Started by Rida4Life, December 11, 2018, 08:53:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rida4Life

December 11, 2018, 08:53:21 am Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:56:41 am by Rida4Life

How many coaches leave for greener pastures in Monto?

AirWarren

Rida4Life

No idea... just figured for a team that went 0 fer there would be some moving and shaking. 
Especially when you add the school board situation in the mix.
I could see coaches wanting out of that place left and right.

Rida4Life

Heard this morning that Coplin took an OC job in South Texas...... that's fast even for #billietempo.

heard things were bad between him and the players .... what's going to happen now?

SUGARTOWN

I find it ironic that last week we had a thread berating kids who chose to transfer as "quitters" and here we have a coach who bailed after one tough year.

No idea where they go from here, but it's going to take more than a year to get this program back on track.

AirWarren

March 26, 2019, 10:52:03 am #5 Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:54:33 am by AirWarren
Called that. Everyone knew that when he was hired:
1. Daddies get in the way of success in drew county.
2. This was a stepping stone for him.

Jimbo Morphis

FmrBillieFan

STUNNA

AirWarren

March 26, 2019, 03:00:14 pm #10 Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:05:40 pm by AirWarren
Nice resignation letter.

The cancelling of the "coplin show" on MLive was the first sign of demise.

Romeo

At this point, I would just hire Joe Clark. Bullhorns, bats and all. He's probably the only person that could fix that program.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 26, 2019, 06:08:07 pm
At this point, I would just hire Joe Clark. Bullhorns, bats and all. He's probably the only person that could fix that program.

Until you quit allowing "name" parents run amuck and quit allowing school board members to verbally assault jr high coaches.....good luck.

AirWarren

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 26, 2019, 10:28:48 am
I find it ironic that last week we had a thread berating kids who chose to transfer as "quitters" and here we have a coach who bailed after one tough year.

No idea where they go from here, but it's going to take more than a year to get this program back on track.

To your point. This shouldnt be left untouched.

What we had here was a mediocre coach who coaches little league ball in Texas who was hailed as some offensive genius in Texas while coaching in little league ball. His time in big time football in Texas was as an assistant. Unfortunately, his plight was based off coming into 8-4a and hammering the big dog. Well, the big dog beat the heck out of him and left the fan base empty from empty promises. So when the going gets tough, you tuck your tail and haul it back to Texas. A team like Monticello shouldn't go winless and average 8 points a game for a season. A team like Monticello shouldn't pay a salary plus "contract deals" to land a big time Texas coach just to come in and run it into the dirt. But it's well known that that community steps all over its own feet. Might as well shut the program down and play baseball only. Way to go coach, way to cut bail and run back to Texas.

The real question I have is. And it's quite possibly the biggest tragedy of all. But will the goats continue to wear that blue shrimp arse decal on the side of their helmet...?

Somewhere VP is laughing.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Surprised he stayed past Jan. 1 honestly. This is the reason government should be involved in education. Was paid to win and never happened. Money well spent.

Da Truff

Who would it take to turn Monticello back to what it once was?

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Da Truff on March 28, 2019, 09:43:55 am
Don't think its a "who" but more of a "what"...It always takes a blend of factors to get a program going, but I have always seen that these things are the must have ingredients:
1) Kids- first and for most, obviously it helps to have a group of kids with a mix of talent and toughness, but think it has to do more with a group that understands "we over me"
2) Administrations- got to have a admin that gets it, coaches put in a lot of extra work and hours, need to have a admin in place that know this and reward and help them...
3) Community- the community is what will drive a program up or down, to me this includes parents, teachers, businesses, alumni...they need to set a standard and hold it up
4) Coaches- some guys get a job and its just that a job, and the good great ones turn it into an extension of their family,...high school and jr. high kids need to know you care and that you are doing everything you can to help them succeed in sports, school, or Life...also need to understand what you have to work with and develop a plan to use what you have in the most effective way, not just what you have always done

From post on here and from the few people I know around that area it doesn't seem to be that way there in Billie land

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Da Truff on March 28, 2019, 09:43:55 am

Van Paschal

titan33

FmrBillieFan

I'm going to chime in once and then I'm done. I personally wish Coach Coplin nothing but the best.  The guy is a good coach, but it just wasn't a good match at Monticello.  The community and players never really got behind him.  But the biggest problem we have is that the players just have a losers mentality right now.  We've got to find a coach that can change that.  Participation is as low as I've ever seen and until we find some kids that want to put in the work to turn things around, its not going to improve anytime soon.  It's going to take several years to overcome last years zero win season, but hopefully we can find a coach to get the rebuild started. 

Dayton Kitchens

When Camden Fairview went to Monticello for a pre season game last season I got some pretty good feelings about the Billie fans, players, and all that.

Of course it might be that I have considerable good will toward Monticello having lived there in the past briefly and having a large number of extended family members there.   

The Ref

Are the numbers really down in the single digits?

AirWarren

Quote from: The Ref on March 29, 2019, 07:45:03 pm
Are the numbers really down in the single digits?

My word.

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: AirWarren on March 26, 2019, 06:31:03 pm
To your point. This shouldnt be left untouched.

What we had here was a mediocre coach who coaches little league ball in Texas who was hailed as some offensive genius in Texas while coaching in little league ball. His time in big time football in Texas was as an assistant. Unfortunately, his plight was based off coming into 8-4a and hammering the big dog. Well, the big dog beat the heck out of him and left the fan base empty from empty promises. So when the going gets tough, you tuck your tail and haul it back to Texas. A team like Monticello shouldn't go winless and average 8 points a game for a season. A team like Monticello shouldn't pay a salary plus "contract deals" to land a big time Texas coach just to come in and run it into the dirt. But it's well known that that community steps all over its own feet. Might as well shut the program down and play baseball only. Way to go coach, way to cut bail and run back to Texas.

The real question I have is. And it's quite possibly the biggest tragedy of all. But will the goats continue to wear that blue shrimp arse decal on the side of their helmet...?

Somewhere VP is laughing.

Coplin is very good football coach.  Very bright offensively.  It just did not work out.

Biggest issue a lot of these out of state coaches - especially Texas coaches - figure out is that nobody else views football the same way, handles coaches the same way, or has the same expectations that Texas schools do.  It is tremendous high school ball there from top to bottom because of the priority, right or wrong, that's placed on it.

Arkansas does not view it that way - not saying that is wrong.  Many of these guys can't transition.  Smackover an example, they had two straight one-and-done Texas coaches?

Very, very few "bad" coaches in the state these days.  Many, many bad situations - which Monticello is right now.

ea cat

Awful quiet in Billie Land.

Jimbo Morphis

$uPA@JaCkS

WHO MONTICELLO LOOKING AT TO TAKE OVER.........HAVE ANYBODY HEARD ANY NAMES YET

FmrBillieFan

Quote from: $uPA@JaCkS on April 15, 2019, 02:12:24 pm
Your grammar and punctuation are terrible.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: $uPA@JaCkS on April 15, 2019, 02:12:24 pm
What?

$uPA@JaCkS

FmrBillieFan

April 17, 2019, 11:15:24 am #30 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:18:35 am by FmrBillieFan
Promoting an assistant.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

An assistant that was there during the Davis era? I hope not or that should bring up questions if the Monticello school board is fiscally responsible throwing away $80,000ish on a stranger when they could have merely promoted.

Pat Swilling

For those that know Randy Harvey he is a great coach and a better man.  Good hire.

AirWarren

April 18, 2019, 08:44:30 am #33 Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:51:00 am by AirWarren
Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on April 18, 2019, 08:34:40 am
An assistant that was there during the Davis era? I hope not or that should bring up questions if the Monticello school board is fiscally responsible throwing away $80,000ish on a stranger when they could have merely promoted.

He rode into town on a white goat claiming to hammer Warren. Money is no problem to the thirsty "blue steel" folks.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: AirWarren on April 18, 2019, 08:44:30 am
He rode into town on a white goat claiming to hammer Warren. Money is no problem to the thirsty "blue steel" folks.
True story, I have more Billie fans than Jack fans as friends . The folks I know from Monticello are good,good people. Seems like it's school board problem because most of my buddies don't understand what the board does when they do it.

AirWarren

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on April 18, 2019, 09:06:21 am
True story, I have more Billie fans than Jack fans as friends . The folks I know from Monticello are good,good people. Seems like it's school board problem because most of my buddies don't understand what the board does when they do it.

It's always been an admin/school board/daddy issues over there. Most of which, people trying to keep 1994 alive and well.

Hopefully this promotion will bring some balance. But it's going to take a complete overhaul of school board/ideals to fix the blue folks' issues I'm afraid.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Pat Swilling on April 18, 2019, 08:40:06 am
For those that know Randy Harvey he is a great coach and a better man.  Good hire.
Did he coach at Star City at one time?

$uPA@JaCkS

Jimbo Morphis

FmrBillieFan

AirWarren

GotInfo?

Surprised by the hire.  Hopefully he will bring stability and better numbers.

Jimbo Morphis

$uPA@JaCkS

Reasoning being is that, he has been at Monticello for sometime now and he knows what the program really needs at the moment to rebuild. Monticello really needs a coach that cares for the kids and wants them to win. I think he will build a legacy and be a great coach, once he gets to rolling.

FmrBillieFan

Monticello will probably go 3-7 next year.  Sadly, that will be quite an improvement from last year.  I'll give the new coach a chance but I don't think he is the answer.  I've finally come to accept that Monticello will simply be a mediocre football program and nothing more.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: $uPA@JaCkS on April 29, 2019, 02:10:31 pm
Reasoning being is that, he has been at Monticello for sometime now and he knows what the program really needs at the moment to rebuild. Monticello really needs a coach that cares for the kids and wants them to win. I think he will build a legacy and be a great coach, once he gets to rolling.
Soooooooooo they guy who moved himself and his family from Texas didn't want them to win? Do you think whoever wants it the most wins games? Bigger they are the harder they fall?

FmrBillieFan

It's going to be hard for a guy that has been an assistant for 25 years to take over a program that didn't win a game last year and be successful.  Like I said, I wish him the best but I don't think it will work.  We've been down this road twice before hiring lifelong assistants and those didn't work out either.

Jimbo Morphis

And that one time you hired a coach and he won a state championship. Why did you run him off again?

FmrBillieFan

Quote from: Oldman on April 29, 2019, 04:58:13 pm
And that one time you hired a coach and he won a state championship. Why did you run him off again?
He did win a state championship in 2009.  But not because he is a great coach.  That team was loaded with talent.  You could have won a state title with that team.  We had a championship caliber team the year before and poor coaching cost us in the semifinals against Helena.  He was heck bent on his son making a game winning field goal in that 8-7 loss to Helena in 2008.  So, he wasn't a great coach in my opinion.  He was at the right place at the right time.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Billies also won the championship in the early '90's, 1994 I think. Some teams haven't ever even sniffed a championship game but the Billies have taken two.
Did Paschal win a title while he was at Barton?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas