• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now that we are getting close to the playoffs, how many teams could realistically win it all?

Started by Razorback Red, October 16, 2018, 12:12:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeberFan

WestTiger

I think NLR will get by Bryant tonight and be the favorite to win State.... However, a lot can happen in the playoffs and I don't think there is any team in the 7A right now that can't be beat in the playoffs.

footballfan-tastic

Rarely is there a team that can't be beat.  NLR keeps finding a way to win as they did tonight.  Some people just don't like to give credit.  The "they are not elite in my opinion" is just sour grapes.  You are correct you cannot stop them from enjoying their success and its a shame that it bothers you that they are just doing better than the NWA teams at this point of the season..  The hardest thing to do in sports is to compare teams from different years or decades, because there are so many factors involved.  Its a year to year thing and all that matters is that year. 

businesstron

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 26, 2018, 11:52:53 pm
Rarely is there a team that can't be beat.  NLR keeps finding a way to win as they did tonight.  Some people just don't like to give credit.  The "they are not elite in my opinion" is just sour grapes.  You are correct you cannot stop them from enjoying their success and its a shame that it bothers you that they are just doing better than the NWA teams at this point of the season..  The hardest thing to do in sports is to compare teams from different years or decades, because there are so many factors involved.  Its a year to year thing and all that matters is that year. 

Honestly looking at football the last 13 years if that had happen to any NLR team pre Jamie Mitchell they would've mailed it in and lost the game.    NLR this year and last year knows how to take a punch in the mouth and comeback and win the fight. 

Earlier this year they got down in the game against Booker T in the second half.   They calmly moved the ball down the field in the final seconds of the game and won.   Against Bentonville in the state final last year.  Bentonville went up by a couple of TDs early.  They fought their way back into the that game and won it. 

But a few things did change tonight.  NLR went from being in a class by themselves above everyone else to being in a semi crowded room.  If Bryant, Fatetteville, Bentonville or Bentonville West meets NLR anytime in the playoffs it's gonna be a game.  Against Booker T Washington NLR got torched through the air for 262 yards and that was against a QB starting his first game. 

Bryant would be the next best passing offense they have played this year and they struggled all game with it.  Bryant is also the most balanced team offensively they have played this year.   

Anyway if they try to play man on Jadon Jackson or Stuckey and the other guy at Fayetteville all game they gon give up points. 

It's gonna be a fun playoffs this year.

tj1987

Quote from: businesstron on October 26, 2018, 11:28:54 am
What makes you think they can't?   You've already proven you don't know what your talking about on this post once and actually a few times last year.  At this point it's kind of stupid to compare THIS years team to teams of the past that have already won a state title.  Especially in a thread that's talking specially about teams THIS year.   Your the only one making that comparison.

But back to NLR's QB.  That's a stupid argument.  Your basically saying all the teams of the past are better then this NLR team because they put more on their QB.  In that case Bentonville West should've beat Conway in the Playoffs last year and Fayetteville should've beat Bryant twice last year. 

You still ain't explained in detail what makes NLR's qb play sub par.   Everybody ain't gonna be QB centric like Fayetteville has been the last decade.
You throw around the word stupid a lot.  Careful.  Don't mention me again in this forum.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: businesstron on October 27, 2018, 04:48:40 am
Honestly looking at football the last 13 years if that had happen to any NLR team pre Jamie Mitchell they would've mailed it in and lost the game.    NLR this year and last year knows how to take a punch in the mouth and comeback and win the fight. 

Earlier this year they got down in the game against Booker T in the second half.   They calmly moved the ball down the field in the final seconds of the game and won.   Against Bentonville in the state final last year.  Bentonville went up by a couple of TDs early.  They fought their way back into the that game and won it. 

But a few things did change tonight.  NLR went from being in a class by themselves above everyone else to being in a semi crowded room.  If Bryant, Fatetteville, Bentonville or Bentonville West meets NLR anytime in the playoffs it's gonna be a game.  Against Booker T Washington NLR got torched through the air for 262 yards and that was against a QB starting his first game. 

Bryant would be the next best passing offense they have played this year and they struggled all game with it.  Bryant is also the most balanced team offensively they have played this year.   

Anyway if they try to play man on Jadon Jackson or Stuckey and the other guy at Fayetteville all game they gon give up points. 

I'll say this as far as being in a class by themselves.  They are still undefeated and until they are beaten they are in a class by themselves.  Could that change, well in football with two decent teams, it can.  But look at the stats.  NLR didn't start well, which is possibly their achilles heal, but after the first qtr and down 21-0 they won the game, by outscoring Bryant 34-7.  They had two TO's and a missed attempt at a fake punt which gave up field position.  I believe Bryant had 300 yds total, only 75 rushing, NLR around 470.  Those things like the BTW game are what make them a cut above right now.  Getting down, looking to be beaten and winding up with a win.IMO.

businesstron

Quote from: tj1987 on October 27, 2018, 08:35:19 am
You throw around the word stupid a lot.  Careful.  Don't mention me again in this forum.

tj1987
Now you just acting like a little baby.  Maybe you shouldn't post anymore if you can't handle having to defend your opinion.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: businesstron on October 27, 2018, 04:48:40 am

Yes, lets look at the aerial assault that Bryant put on the Wildcats.   Bryant threw for 220 yards and about 325 total yards for the game pass and rush.  Not bad passing yardage, of course as you pointed out Bryant is probably the second best passing team NLR has faced so you should expect them to get yardage. 
Oh wait, I do need to point out that of that 220 passing yards, 170 came during the 1st quarter on 7-11 passing. You remember the 1st quarter?  Yeah, Bryant had a very nice opening drive for a TD and  NLR came out a bit flat and had two turnovers and a missed attempt on a fake punt that gave the ball up to Bryant on a short field.  The result was a 21 - 0 lead by the start of the second quarter. 
After that, Bryant threw for 50 total yards on 5-16 for the rest of the night as NLR "struggled" to contain that passing game that finished 12 - 27 for the night..  They also lost the game because Bryants defense couldn't stop NLR in what turned into a 34-7 walloping the rest of the way. 
I'm not saying Bryant's not a good team, they are.  However, when you get a 21 pt lead you should win, when your offense has a great 1st qtr and then struggles, well, then I think its hard to say the opponent had a hard time containing the passing game (50 yds in 3 qtrs) and 12-27 total for the night.
Oh, and just to keep the record straight.  NLR threw for 190 yards and they are a running team with a sub par QB some say.  470 yds total offense.   

High Voltage

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 16, 2018, 12:12:41 pm
At the beginning of the season, I made a comment that it was a 5-team race this year: NLR, Bryant, Bville, West and FHS. 

I'll stick with those 5, but I am putting Conway in the mix as well as the 6th team.  They have a ton of interior size. 

I can't see anyone else in the West that can contend, but I could see an argument for NS.  They just haven't proved they can win in the playoffs in several years. 

Here is my attempt to rank in order these 7 teams on likelihood to hoist the trophy:

1.  NLR- clearly look like the team to beat
2.  West- players are getting better even without 3-yr starting QB.  He'll be back soon. 
3.  Fayetteville- Bowers close to healthy.  They need to figure out how to run the ball some. 
4.  Bryant- I'm reluctant to put them ahead of Bville, but will for now.  Talent is there, but have to win a big playoff game. 
5.  Bentonville- less talent on offense than normal, but still a solid D.  Always tough out in playoffs. 
6.  Conway- As long as they don't play NLR, I think they believe they can beat anyone else. 
7.  NS- Great to see them better this year.  I think they could knock off one of the teams I have above them come playoff time. 

Thoughts?  Agree / Disagree?
I think you nailed it. Conway and Bryant will tell alot this week as well as West vs. Bentonville. I think Northside is out of the mix though. They have tanked badly and so has Springdale. Southside couldn't win the 5A title so they are out. I wouldn't bet against Dawson in the playoffs. I think Fayetteville and the two Bentonville schools make it interesting.

footballfan-tastic

Some interesting analysis on what might happen in the playoffs and who might win. 
Well, for me it reminds me of the story of a pack of dogs chasing a large car down the street yapping at its tires.  The car stops, the dogs catch up and stop staring at the car,  the driver leans out and hollers at the dogs, "you caught it, now what are you going to do with it?"

For now at least every one of the dogs that caught the car haven't been able to do much with it. 
We will see if it changes in the playoffs.

Football is mostly about the better team winning more often than not and NLR looks to be the better team at this point, so I'm putting my money on the Wildcats to win it all.

Rob Van Winkle

NLR is without a doubt the team to beat. They will have to have an off night, and someone will have to play perfect in order for them to lose. But you never know what can happen on any given Friday night, weather can play a factor as well as it turns colder in November.

businesstron

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 29, 2018, 12:14:57 am
Yes, lets look at the aerial assault that Bryant put on the Wildcats.   Bryant threw for 220 yards and about 325 total yards for the game pass and rush.  Not bad passing yardage, of course as you pointed out Bryant is probably the second best passing team NLR has faced so you should expect them to get yardage. 
Oh wait, I do need to point out that of that 220 passing yards, 170 came during the 1st quarter on 7-11 passing. You remember the 1st quarter?  Yeah, Bryant had a very nice opening drive for a TD and  NLR came out a bit flat and had two turnovers and a missed attempt on a fake punt that gave the ball up to Bryant on a short field.  The result was a 21 - 0 lead by the start of the second quarter. 
After that, Bryant threw for 50 total yards on 5-16 for the rest of the night as NLR "struggled" to contain that passing game that finished 12 - 27 for the night..  They also lost the game because Bryants defense couldn't stop NLR in what turned into a 34-7 walloping the rest of the way. 
I'm not saying Bryant's not a good team, they are.  However, when you get a 21 pt lead you should win, when your offense has a great 1st qtr and then struggles, well, then I think its hard to say the opponent had a hard time containing the passing game (50 yds in 3 qtrs) and 12-27 total for the night.
Oh, and just to keep the record straight.  NLR threw for 190 yards and they are a running team with a sub par QB some say.  470 yds total offense.   

Yeah I'd call that a struggle.   They adjusted a little bit but Bryant threw 3 td passes on them.  Bryant has more balance than Fayetteville or West but West and Fayetteville have better passing attacks overall.

The fact that they have played either team this year or atleast a team somewhat comparable to them gives Fayetteville and West a chance.    NLR still ahead of the pack... I think the pack is a little closer to them than most people think. 

I think this game was more of Bryant playing good then it was of NLR taking a quarter or 2 off.

DaBeezzx7

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: businesstron on October 29, 2018, 05:20:45 pm
Yeah I'd call that a struggle.   They adjusted a little bit but Bryant threw 3 td passes on them.  Bryant has more balance than Fayetteville or West but West and Fayetteville have better passing attacks overall.

The fact that they have played either team this year or atleast a team somewhat comparable to them gives Fayetteville and West a chance.    NLR still ahead of the pack... I think the pack is a little closer to them than most people think. 

I think this game was more of Bryant playing good then it was of NLR taking a quarter or 2 off.

You can call it whatever you like but the struggle ended after the 1st qtr. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas