• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paris seeks a 3rd HC in 3 years...

Started by x14113, May 23, 2018, 08:22:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

x14113

...after Bryan Hutson has left for Elkins.

beach bum

Talent is dropping way off at Paris the coming seasons.... Just a case of getting out while the gettin is good. I feel sorry for the kids there in the program because the last coach was pushed out for him only to have him bail now for Elkins one year after pushing out the previous coach. Now the kids will be seeing a 3rd face in 3 years.

hoghelmet14

Quote from: beach bum on May 23, 2018, 08:49:17 pm
Talent is dropping way off at Paris the coming seasons.... Just a case of getting out while the gettin is good. I feel sorry for the kids there in the program because the last coach was pushed out for him only to have him bail now for Elkins one year after pushing out the previous coach. Now the kids will be seeing a 3rd face in 3 years.

Everything you just said is incorrect....

beach bum

7AFball

Quote from: hoghelmet14 on May 23, 2018, 10:54:24 pm
Hoghelmet: Agree with your assessment of Mr. Bum's comment and a 1+ for you.
   The previous HC was not pushed out, he was reassigned by the administration for reasons not to be divulged on FF. Coach H was asked to return to be HC since the Paris assistants asked for him to be put back in the HC spot. The other coach mentioned decided to leave despite having no salary lowering, just being put in a teaching reassignment. Paris is a nice place to live but Coach H decided to be near his elderly parents if possible and it happened. The ADG article referenced that today.
    Shakeups happen on school sports staffs all over the state in all classifications every year. Look at this year's HC changes on the that FF page, no less than 30 NEW HC positions this year and still 3-4 openings. Each HC change had reasons for their quests. Comments on FF from those who have no clue on behind the scenes happenings, are usually from those stirring up things for the sake of just making adverse comments. Mr. Bum .... think before you comment on things you have no personal knowledge about!
   Happy Memorial Day to all.   :-*

AirWarren

beach bum

May 24, 2018, 03:22:09 pm #6 Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:40:39 pm by beach bum
Quote from: hoghelmet14 on May 23, 2018, 10:54:24 pm

-This is in fact Paris's 3rd coach in 3 years beginning with the next hire

-yes the talent is dropping off in Paris. They are losing their good RB... and their QB was the best athlete in the conference outside of Flanagan last year. No one else in the conference was an athlete on the caliber of those two in Flanagan and Paris's QB. Anyone who has watched 2A-4A ball knows you don't replace an athlete like that every year in the smaller classifications. Coaches know when to strategically leave based upon talent or lack there of in the coming years. That isn't new to any coach. So it appears he is getting out before they drop out of the playoff picture the coming years and won't be able to get a job when Paris's results in the win column drop off. Again, its what a lot of coaches do to leave at the right time for them career wise.

-He essentially left coaching, became AD, and hires himself again right?? That must be nice to hire yourself instead of looking at outside applicants or assistants who would be willing to stay long term and not bail one year later. That I hope you can clarify if he was not the AD and essentially just hired himself. No school with any professionalism or tradition would allow that to happen. They would have checks and balances.

-And yes in fact it is sad the kids will see a 3rd coach in 3 years. How do you expect to keep a program stable with roster numbers and kids excited when the kids see a revolving door at coach

- I know you guys from Paris probably know him and have a connection or at least an aquaintance so its hard to not take it personal. But to an unbiased outsider its a little funny to see a guy hire himself after quitting the job once before only to leave one year later and leave the kids high and dry when they could have just hired an in house assistant, coordinator, or take outside interviews. Then they wouldn't be in this position today. They would have a coach working on his 2nd year in the program and not a 3rd guy in 3 years ahead this fall. This is why Paris is the program it is and why their neighbors down Hwy 22 to the west are light years ahead of them. Charleston is ran professionally & more forward thinking and has more stable leadership on a yearly basis and with long term planning

-Again, you are more than welcome to clarify for us all if he did not hire himself when he was AD this last time, and if he had not once before been the coach before becoming AD only now to head to another position in NWA. I'll retract everything I said and apologize if that is not the case

beach bum

May 24, 2018, 03:39:10 pm #7 Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:48:20 pm by beach bum
Quote from: 7AFball on May 24, 2018, 08:17:04 am
Hoghelmet: Agree with your assessment of Mr. Bum's comment and a 1+ for you.
   The previous HC was not pushed out, he was reassigned by the administration for reasons not to be divulged on FF. Coach H was asked to return to be HC since the Paris assistants asked for him to be put back in the HC spot. The other coach mentioned decided to leave despite having no salary lowering, just being put in a teaching reassignment. Paris is a nice place to live but Coach H decided to be near his elderly parents if possible and it happened. The ADG article referenced that today.
    Shakeups happen on school sports staffs all over the state in all classifications every year. Look at this year's HC changes on the that FF page, no less than 30 NEW HC positions this year and still 3-4 openings. Each HC change had reasons for their quests. Comments on FF from those who have no clue on behind the scenes happenings, are usually from those stirring up things for the sake of just making adverse comments. Mr. Bum .... think before you comment on things you have no personal knowledge about!
   Happy Memorial Day to all.   :-*

You are also more than welcome to clarify if he did not hire himself this last time at Paris when he was AD instead of taking outside interviews for a guy who could have intentions to stay long term cause that is what it appears is that he just hired himself cause the assistants wanted that? I am more than happy to retract my statements and apologize if that did not happen and get rid of my comments if it is not true.  Just seems a little weird.

RTF

I love social media boards. Gives everyone a chance to talk about stuff they know nothing about, but yet, act like they do!

+1 to beach bum for falling into that category.   Congratz!

Truthfully

Quote from: RTF on May 24, 2018, 04:20:54 pm
I love social media boards. Gives everyone a chance to talk about stuff they know nothing about, but yet, act like they do!

+1 to beach bum for falling into that category.   Congratz!
Agree with you. His questions have already been answered but guess he can not read or did not read. Sure has a lot of time on his hands to make so many posts in the 5 or so years he has posted on FF. Posts all hours of the day, so guess retired.

ADs don't hire themselves BUT can be appointed by the administration such as the Board and including the Superintendent to be placed in a position formerly held and petitioned to do by assistants who had been under a HC for years. They preferred a known entity rather than starting with a fresh, unknown HC.. I have been a strong female supporter of Paris athletics and will continue to honor what the BOARD and Administration says, excluding the ADs personal opinion on a matter if that's what they desire to do. The AD does not run the show, the ADMINISTRATION does. I am too sick to attend games any longer but sure keep in touch through friends, school staff members and such ... 
Truthfully....

beach bum

May 24, 2018, 05:21:40 pm #10 Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:48:44 pm by beach bum
I am happy I riled the Paris posters..... And 7ABall thinks he clarified it however he did not.

-If he went to Elkins to be close to family why in the Waldron coaching board does it say he applied there too? Is that poster wrong cause Waldron is no where near Elkins?? Again, sounds like he just wanted out of Paris. It is good for him he did end up near family after all though

- Also, if the previous coach was reassigned from coaching to only his teaching duties for such a terrible reason it should not be divulged on fearless why is he still even allowed around the kids in a teaching manner, but no coaching?? That starts to seem a little fishy when your immediate boss is the one who takes over for you

-And so Paris apparently does not have one asistant with ambitions of becoming a head coach that they all asked for him to come back? What school has zero assistants with no ambition to move up the ladder especially when their HC gets reassigned and the program needs stability. That's the perfect time for an assistant to come in. It sounds like maybe some assistants probably did not want to make their immediate boss upset by applying. If not that is really bad to be filled with coaches with no ambition to ever move up the ladder. That sounds like stagnation at its finest.

-If none of you guys at Paris don't see anything weird about this whole constant coaching cycle at your school, it only cofirms why a program just down the highway is light years beyond your program. You are so blinded by being personally involved in this situation you don't see it. I am starting to wonder who is worse at hiring practices? Paris or Waldron who just hired a 1-9 coach with one year of experience at a 2A school. Even a poster in the Waldron board claims he got the job over Hutson at Waldron. All I pointed out was this is a unique and weird situation because it is and some people don't seem to like that.

gameoflife

Wow! A little heated debate is always nice.  I will say that it seems a bit wierd the way it all came about.  Have to believe that BH had some idea that he didn't intend to stick around for much longer.  Perhaps a different coach would have provided long term stability?  Hard on a program to be changing coaches  that often.

beach bum

May 24, 2018, 07:28:02 pm #12 Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:31:14 pm by beach bum
Quote from: gameoflife on May 24, 2018, 07:04:38 pm
Wow! A little heated debate is always nice.  I will say that it seems a bit wierd the way it all came about.  Have to believe that BH had some idea that he didn't intend to stick around for much longer.  Perhaps a different coach would have provided long term stability?  Hard on a program to be changing coaches  that often.

All I was saying was that if this same scenario went on at a school I was invested in I would be questioning the people in charge of making decisions with the program.... And 7ABall thinks he clarified things but his points had too many flaws in his reasoning in which I pointed out. If the people angry at my posts are conditioned to the point to think that this level of dysfunction in their program is normal then that explains why their program is what it is historically.

hoghelmet14

Beach Bum.....

the reasons you stated are just not what happened.... I know exactly what happened.... your facts are simply incorrect.....

that said... I enjoy reading your post.... best wishes for you and your team next season......

Truthfully

Quote from: hoghelmet14 on May 24, 2018, 11:44:13 pm
Beach Bum.....

the reasons you stated are just not what happened.... I know exactly what happened.... your facts are simply incorrect.....
1+ Hoghelmet... 
  You do know Paris "politics" and have been a strong fan supporter of Paris' administration for many, many years.
  FF posters value the content in your posts. Thank you.

Trojanbird

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even though sometimes it is only based on observation!

Eagle boss

When are they going to start the interview process and anyone heard any names that have applied?

athletic supporter

I love that Hutson showed his commitment to his "home" by getting the former coach reassigned then staying one year himself until something "better" came open. I don't necessarily blame him. It's the way things are done today. Commitment is a thing of the past. I would bet in 2 years when Elkins loses their QB and move into the 1-4A, he will be on the move again.

Brian G

Tyler Clark has been named Head Coach at Paris.  He comes from Marion where he was an assistant coach.

eaglefrown

Quote from: athletic supporter on May 27, 2018, 08:47:52 am
I love that Hutson showed his commitment to his "home" by getting the former coach reassigned then staying one year himself until something "better" came open. I don't necessarily blame him. It's the way things are done today. Commitment is a thing of the past. I would bet in 2 years when Elkins loses their QB and move into the 1-4A, he will be on the move again.

Same thoughts I had.

Truthfully

Quote from: eaglefrown on June 08, 2018, 12:02:47 am
Same thoughts I had.
Nice to see you post every few years or so (11 total posts), usually only on football game night scores.

Wonder if Paris' administration will hold true to their mandate put on the former coach several weeks ago of: (1) only having 3 assistants this year instead of the usual 4 used for many years, (2) having to teach 3 classes, not leaving as much time to be AD and attend to those duties. If the new coach is not AD, then whomever gets that "title" will have to be paid an additional stipend to their usual base salary, contrary to the money saving mindset that was implied almost 2 months ago. Remains to be seen if the Administration holds true to the "mandate" they put in place recently or backs off.

It is obvious that 2A schools often have only 3 assistants, but in 3A schools that can be a big hinderance with having to coach more athletes and stretch assistant duties way too much. Many 3A schools have 5 assistants, some with less enrollment than Paris. How can Paris improve talent and give individual attention when needed with only 3 assistants? Not good. Also not good if the HC has to teach 3-4 classes. If Eaglefrown will read more he will see that most programs go in cycles, winning and losing years; that is the nature of revolving, cyclical talent that Paris has always had. Gray Rock students have helped our athletic programs intermittantly over the years. The new HC will have a challenge, especially with only 3 assistants. . . .  Truthfully   ???

RTF

Quote from: Truthfully on June 08, 2018, 09:52:09 am
Nice to see you post every few years or so (11 total posts), usually only on football game night scores.

Wonder if Paris' administration will hold true to their mandate put on the former coach several weeks ago of: (1) only having 3 assistants this year instead of the usual 4 used for many years, (2) having to teach 3 classes, not leaving as much time to be AD and attend to those duties. If the new coach is not AD, then whomever gets that "title" will have to be paid an additional stipend to their usual base salary, contrary to the money saving mindset that was implied almost 2 months ago. Remains to be seen if the Administration holds true to the "mandate" they put in place recently or backs off.

It is obvious that 2A schools often have only 3 assistants, but in 3A schools that can be a big hinderance with having to coach more athletes and stretch assistant duties way too much. Many 3A schools have 5 assistants, some with less enrollment than Paris. How can Paris improve talent and give individual attention when needed with only 3 assistants? Not good. Also not good if the HC has to teach 3-4 classes. If Eaglefrown will read more he will see that most programs go in cycles, winning and losing years; that is the nature of revolving, cyclical talent that Paris has always had. Gray Rock students have helped our athletic programs intermittantly over the years. The new HC will have a challenge, especially with only 3 assistants. . . .  Truthfully   ???

Lol.... man! If Paris only knew that if they would have hired one more assistant then they would have won it all...........................smh

eaglefrown

Quote from: Truthfully on June 08, 2018, 09:52:09 am

I am glad my post count is important to you.

Here is what I know. Paris has never been better than the second round of the playoffs. The reason I know that is because I have lived in Paris my whole life.

Paris has a little bit of success every now and then but has never really been a threat to go all the way.

As for the statement about assistant coaches - I am not sure you really need more than 3 when you have as few students out. I remember in the late 70s/early 80s when there were 120+ out for football and maybe 5 or 6 assistants. Did not win any more back then either.

athletic supporter

Atkins only has 3 assistants on staff and they beat Paris on a regular basis plus they've been to the quarterfinals the last 2 seasons

Truthfully

Quote from: athletic supporter on June 08, 2018, 12:11:37 pm
Atkins only has 3 assistants on staff and they beat Paris on a regular basis plus they've been to the quarterfinals the last 2 seasons
Good point Athletic Supporter.  Points out that the main thing is enough players turning out for football to offset any significant injuries to the "key" players during the season, especially early in the year. Helps to have enuff to have a good second team to fill in as needed. Junior High "feeder system" is so important and often Paris has a fair turnout for Jr. High, but as the players get into Sr. High they lose the desire to practice hard or even play ball, and many have to work after school. The actual #of those who continue to play is about 1/3 of the Jr. High #.
I am a female and my son played for Paris MANY years ago. Now I am too medically compromised, and I have to keep in touch with friends in Paris and Charleston. No longer can attend games.  TU again for comment. Paris' talent has gone down the past two years and numbers out for ball stand at about 26 or so by the time the first game is played. Oh, to have 35 out and weather the storm of injuries and those who quit. LOL
Truthfully

Truthfully

Quote from: eaglefrown on June 08, 2018, 11:15:33 am

Here is what I know. Paris has never been better than the second round of the playoffs. The reason I know that is because I have lived in Paris my whole life.

Paris has a little bit of success every now and then but has never really been a threat to go all the way.

As for the statement about assistant coaches - I am not sure you really need more than 3 when you have as few students out. I remember in the late 70s/early 80s when there were 120+ out for football and maybe 5 or 6 assistants. Did not win any more back then either.
Yep, the threat to go deep into the playoffs was during the years we had consecutive 8-8-9-10 game winning seasons in 2009-12 timeframe, were co-champs with Charleston, etc... Barton beating us at home was a killer but their defense stopped our great running back cold turkey that playoff night and their RBs were shifty and fast, something we had not seen much of that particular year.  Proves things go in cycles and "life goes on" as they say.
Truthfully :-\

RTF

Paris had some great teams in the 70's and 80's. Had a few in the 90's to. Heck, they went undefeated once in the 60's. I know this is irrelevant now but Paris does have historical success. It has just been a long time.

But even with me saying this. They have been fairly competitive it seems, which is a good thing.

Truthfully

Quote from: eaglefrown on June 08, 2018, 11:15:33 am
Correction for your comment. Paris in 2012 did get into THIRD round, winning their first two playoff games. Played 13 games that year! So they were better than just a second round team that year. Never say never!! LOL  ;D

Truthfully

Quote from: RTF on June 08, 2018, 01:10:12 pm
Paris had some great teams in the 70's and 80's. Had a few in the 90's to. Heck, they went undefeated once in the 60's. I know this is irrelevant now but Paris does have historical success. It has just been a long time.

But even with me saying this. They have been fairly competitive it seems, which is a good thing.
Good and 1+ for you.
Wish the extra assistance of 1-2 players moving in each year from west of us near the Ft. Smith area would have happened. Many families want to live close to Metro Ft. Smith but not in Ft. Smith proper. Not enuff potential for their sons to be starters and good players until perhaps their Senior year in sports. But in outlying areas those players can start sooner and "show up" as better athletes sooner.

Unfortunately, coming on eastward to Paris is just too long a drive to work each day in Ft. Smith. I pity Lavaca a bit, since they have been bypassed a lot from "move-in" situations. Charleston has been a good compromise for many families, close to work and giving their children a chance to be significant within the student population during their later school years.

athletic supporter

Quote from: Truthfully on June 08, 2018, 12:52:57 pm
Good point Athletic Supporter.  Points out that the main thing is enough players turning out for football to offset any significant injuries to the "key" players during the season, especially early in the year. Helps to have enuff to have a good second team to fill in as needed. Junior High "feeder system" is so important and often Paris has a fair turnout for Jr. High, but as the players get into Sr. High they lose the desire to practice hard or even play ball, and many have to work after school. The actual #of those who continue to play is about 1/3 of the Jr. High #.
I am a female and my son played for Paris MANY years ago. Now I am too medically compromised, and I have to keep in touch with friends in Paris and Charleston. No longer can attend games.  TU again for comment. Paris' talent has gone down the past two years and numbers out for ball stand at about 26 or so by the time the first game is played. Oh, to have 35 out and weather the storm of injuries and those who quit. LOL
Truthfully

My son graduated from Atkins this year and they never had 30 players on the team. My point was a school with less than 4 assistant coaches can be successful unlike what you said above

fbhound

Quote from: athletic supporter on June 08, 2018, 03:43:16 pm
My son graduated from Atkins this year and they never had 30 players on the team. My point was a school with less than 4 assistant coaches can be successful unlike what you said above
I think the jest of what she was saying is that schools differ in many ways based on talent they draw from. If team A and team P have an equal # of 30 students out for football but team A has yearly groups of more talented athletes than team P to start with, then team A can get by with 3 assistants, but team P just might need 4 assistants to help less talented student athletes get more attention and guidance to make themselves more competitive during a particular year. Atkins seems to have a good enough tradition and desire by their 30 players to get by with 3 assistants only.

Atkins may be more fortunate, and more power to them. But there are 47 other schools in 3A that just MIGHT need one more assistant to fully give their players a better chance at winning and learning the game of football. That MAY be why MANY school administrators give their 3A team 4 or even 5 assistants. More power to those school admins and coaches for seeing a need AND acting on it. To each his own, and it's ultimately based on money being available and appropriated properly. I do know more wins means more concession profits and less money the school has to come up with administratively. But, I am sure you know that. Right? LOL

x14113

Quote from: Truthfully on June 08, 2018, 01:26:21 pm
Charleston has been a good compromise for many families, close to work and giving their children a chance to be significant within the student population during their later school years.

Current trends, however, tell a different story.

Charleston's population has fallen about 17% from its peak during the '00s.  The school district enrollment hasn't been as affected, but it's also slowly trending down of late.

Only Greenwood seems to be benefitting from the FS commuters market; most towns farther out are bleeding folks to varying degrees.

athletic supporter

Let me see if I understand this.

Team P has 26 players
Team P has a head coach and 3 assistant coaches
1+3=4, correct?

Now, 26/4=6.5

Each coach would be responsible for working with 6.5 players. If they struggle with that then maybe, just MAYBE, they need to find another profession.

friscokid

In the early 1980s Paris was a AAA school, the equivalent of today's 5A. That means its enrollment was probably above 400. Paris' city population is virtually the same as it was in 1980. Where did the kids go? I guess families moved out as jobs dried up.

Truthfully

Quote from: friscokid on June 09, 2018, 12:44:30 pm
In the early 1980s Paris was a AAA school, the equivalent of today's 5A. That means its enrollment was probably above 400. Paris' city population is virtually the same as it was in 1980. Where did the kids go? I guess families moved out as jobs dried up.

1st thru 12 grade was close to 1000 students in 1983, that's about 85 per class, or 42 or so boys. So 10-12 grades would be about 125 boys and if 1/3 went out for football, then that's close to 40 out for football... back 35 years ago. Paris population has shifted but the enrollment currently puts Paris in the upper 1/3 of 3A, far above Charleston. Still, the trouble getting athletes to go out for football depends on newer considerations compared to the early 80s or so. More demanding girlfriends, working after school, lack of interest in working hard at conditioning for sports, personality issues, etc etc.. Paris used to have 40-45 out for football every year and that dwindled down to 35-40 in recent years and then 26-33 or so in the past 3-4 years.

Bottom line is we are seeing this in ALL division classifications. Does not hurt 7A schools who drop from 110 down to 80-90 or 6A schools who might still see 70-80 out for football. Easier to weather the injury problems and seldom a player going "both ways". 2A - 4A  have been hurt the most and "it is what it is" this day in time, 35 years later. A key in small towns is the lack of Little League ball and PeeWee ball like years ago. Now the kid's first athlete experience might be Junior High! And even those numbers are down.. TOO MANY distractions like cellphones, video games and the electronic devices galore. The youth today are probably more self opinionated and adult acting more than ever before. Being forced to grow up too quickly, some of us think.
Truthfully   :(

gameoflife

I think the problem is not as much how many kids a coach has to work with but how many position areas need coaching.  Teams with fewer coaches sometimes have problems with not having enough position coaches for all that need work. QB, RB, OL, WR/ DL, LB, DB is kind of minimum.   Any less is really hard to get the kids enough reps in their positions training.  Many teams also want to seperate TE's from WR and OL,  CB and Safeties, ISLB and OSLB. The more coaches the better you can work a player.

athletic supporter

How many teams below 7A level have 7 coaches? That was the minimum number, correct?

gameoflife

minimum would be 4 offense and 3 defense, but some folks break up into more position groups if they have enough coaches.  So, kids get more reps in their technique work if they don't have to be paired with other positions all the time.  Like QB doing tech work, if he has to work with RB's all the time because you only have 3 offensive coaches.  Harder to do  individual technique work.

athletic supporter

Again...how many schools can afford 7 coaches? I don't know any 5A or lower schools that have that many coaches

Mtnman0148

Clark will change the culture and expectations with Paris football. He is a winner on and off the field and will push the kids to to do the same. He has coached under some good ones, Bo Hembree being one of them, and is a good football coach. I look forward to seeing how he will turn this program around.

gameoflife

Anybody got a coaching history on Clark?

athletic supporter

Quote from: Mtnman0148 on July 12, 2018, 07:08:22 am
Clark will change the culture and expectations with Paris football. He is a winner on and off the field and will push the kids to to do the same. He has coached under some good ones, Bo Hembree being one of them, and is a good football coach. I look forward to seeing how he will turn this program around.

Can he recruit as good as Bo?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: athletic supporter on June 08, 2018, 10:49:07 pm

Team P has 26 players
1+3=4, correct?

Now, 26/4=6.5

Each coach would be responsible for working with 6.5 players. If they struggle with that then maybe, just MAYBE, they need to find another profession.
Saw a picture of a t-ball all star team from Monticello that had 4 coaches. Two things wrong with that.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: athletic supporter on June 08, 2018, 10:49:07 pm

Team P has 26 players
1+3=4, correct?

Teams don't evenly divide players into positions, more OL and DL than say QB's.  Also teams of 6 coaches that split into Offense and Defense only have 3 coaches on each side of ball which to me seems not to be sufficient.

Now, 26/4=6.5

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas