• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball Season is a WEEK away! Any goog early season matchups?

Started by Reddie20, February 19, 2019, 10:52:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddie20

Some tourneys start next week and I'm just wondering if there any good first round games? Just glad baseball season is here!

sevenof400

I think a more pressing concern is will the weather cooperate this year or will there be a plethora of rain (or worse) outs?

Head Lion

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 19, 2019, 12:21:51 pm
I think a more pressing concern is will the weather cooperate this year or will there be a plethora of rain (or worse) outs?
No doubt, I think Manila goes to Marion & GCT both the first week of March.

sevenof400

As saturated as the ground is at present, given the rain falling today we will need a good week of dry weather to let things get back to normal.  I know some fields are designed to take a lot of water - but we passed a lot several days ago. 

CageMonsterNWA

My favorite opening day matchup is Fayetteville vs. Shilo Christian.  That's in the PBR Arkansas Premier tournament.  That evening, the tournament will will produce some more great matchups, with Greenwood facing the winner of Van Buren and Booneville and Robinson getting the winner of Watson Chapel vs. DeWitt.

Wheres your Defense

Reddie20

IMO I believe schools should start putting back money from fundraisers and other things to help out their baseball and softball programs.  If you think about it, those are the only sports that get cancelled because of rain.  If they would put back so much every year after about 6 to 7 years, they would be able to afford to turf the infields of the baseball & softball fields.  Outfield will be sloppy but playable if the infields get muddy the games get cancelled.  I know it cost a pretty penny but making an investment for the future=less rain outs but like I said its just my opinion.

Head Lion

Quote from: Reddie20 on February 20, 2019, 10:20:12 am
IMO I believe schools should start putting back money from fundraisers and other things to help out their baseball and softball programs.  If you think about it, those are the only sports that get cancelled because of rain.  If they would put back so much every year after about 6 to 7 years, they would be able to afford to turf the infields of the baseball & softball fields.  Outfield will be sloppy but playable if the infields get muddy the games get cancelled.  I know it cost a pretty penny but making an investment for the future=less rain outs but like I said its just my opinion.
or at least tarps like we have done 🤷🏼‍♂️

ricepig

Quote from: Head Lion on February 20, 2019, 06:54:26 pm
or at least tarps like we have done 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, a $7500 tarp is a lot cheaper than a $200k infield.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2019, 07:38:55 am
Yeah, a $7500 tarp is a lot cheaper than a $200k infield.

Putting on and pulling a tarp 100's of times over a high school career builds character and toughness. Haha

Reddie20

I didn't mind putting on and pulling off the tarp when I played.  I just hated missing games because the water got under the tarp somehow and still messed up the whole infield.  My junior year at Henderson State, we played 8 home games all season long because it rained so much that spring (World Series Semi-Finalist Season).  My senior we got the all-turf field and we hardly ever missed a game or practice because of rain.  I understand it cost a pretty good amount of money but getting a turf infield would be worth it in the future.  You could host more tourneys, use it for camps and most importantly not miss practice/games.  I know teams have missed a lot of practice time this year so the first couple of weeks will be a challenge for everybody, I just hate that softball and baseball are the only sports that get cancelled because of it being too wet or raining. 

Money Statistics of Grass and Turf infields

Grass:
Base Preparation $150,000
Materials: $2.75 per sq ft. =222,000
Maintenance: $20,000 x 10 years = $200,000
Total: $570,000
Scheduling Possibilities: 25 hours x 25 weeks x 10 years= 6,250 hours
Average Cost Per Hour of Use $91.20

Turf:
Base Preparation: $320,000
Materials: $4.75 per sq ft.= $380,000
Maintenance: $5,000 x 10 years= $50,000
Total: $750,000
Scheduling Possibilities: 68 hours x 44 weeks x 10 years= 29,920 hours
Average Cost Per Hour of Use: $25.07

T-Bone

Turf questions:

Is it a mandate to spray the turf on baseball fields like I believe they have to on football fields due to cuts, etc.?

If you are built in a low area with possible floods or live in an area where it rains very often and hard, how often do you have to place the rubber (?) due to floating?

CageMonsterNWA

Great comparison, Reddie.  Where did the numbers come from?

ricepig

Quote from: Reddie20 on February 21, 2019, 02:39:06 pm
I didn't mind putting on and pulling off the tarp when I played.  I just hated missing games because the water got under the tarp somehow and still messed up the whole infield.  My junior year at Henderson State, we played 8 home games all season long because it rained so much that spring (World Series Semi-Finalist Season).  My senior we got the all-turf field and we hardly ever missed a game or practice because of rain.  I understand it cost a pretty good amount of money but getting a turf infield would be worth it in the future.  You could host more tourneys, use it for camps and most importantly not miss practice/games.  I know teams have missed a lot of practice time this year so the first couple of weeks will be a challenge for everybody, I just hate that softball and baseball are the only sports that get cancelled because of it being too wet or raining. 

Grass:

Turf:

Looks like it came off a turf manufacturers site, lol. I agree if one is starting from scratch, that turf will be a better deal for your money, however, most school districts don't have the money to install a turf field, much less infield only. I promise you, they don't spend $20,000/yr on field maintenance either.

Reddie20

MajorLeaguer

Quote from: Reddie20 on February 21, 2019, 02:39:06 pm
I d idn't mind putting on and pulling off the tarp when I played.  I just hated missing games because the water got under the tarp somehow and still messed up the whole infield. 

Grass:

Turf:

So what school district is playing high school baseball 44 weeks a year??  This won't pass any AD or school board when HS baseball only lasts 10 weeks

sevenof400

Quote from: MajorLeaguer on February 24, 2019, 10:49:41 pm
So what school district is playing high school baseball 44 weeks a year??  This won't pass any AD or school board when HS baseball only lasts 10 weeks

To be fair, I think the point being made is the turf field could be used for other activities or sports. 
Football practices (7th / 8th grade perhaps), soccer, other sports could use the artificial turf field throughout the year.   

Eagle076

Des Arc and PW meet in Des Arc tomorrow. Looking foward to it!

OB11

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 25, 2019, 09:50:49 am
To be fair, I think the point being made is the turf field could be used for other activities or sports. 
Football practices (7th / 8th grade perhaps), soccer, other sports could use the artificial turf field throughout the year.   

I think in order for a school to turf their baseball/softball fields it would have to come with the stipulation that other activities will take place on it as well.

Most baseball coaches are dictatorial with who they let on their field and when. Especially if they are the ones maintaining it. Having turf would take a lot off of their plates and allow other teams space to practice without the fear of ruining the field.

Reyno

Quote from: MajorLeaguer on February 24, 2019, 10:49:41 pm
It passes for football. They only play 10 weeks, while  only hosting 1 game a week at times. Obviously excluding the playoffs.

Gravelbar

What about doing like UCA and just have the infield turf?  I still think having dirt around home and the bases works better....my kid slid into 3rd last year at UCA and said he thought he had tore his rear...lol   I guess you'd call that turf butt...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas