• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offsetting Fouls?

Started by ABC™, October 04, 2017, 07:48:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC™

Here's a situation I saw last week. A player for Team A tackled a player from Team B after the whistle and was flagged. Team B's player reacts and gets a flag. Both dead ball unsportsmanlike fouls I assume. The end result was Team A was not penalized, the flag was picked up and ignored. No signal for waiving it off or anything. Team B was then penalized for the unsportsmanlike foul for the retalliation and the player was ejected because it was his 2nd unsportsmanlike foul. Shouldn't the initial foul on Team A also be enforced which would offset the fouls?

Also from that same game, does the head coach have to call timeout to get an explanation? And is the referee required to give an explanation to the coach if asked?

Rulesman

Quote from: ABC™ on October 04, 2017, 07:48:14 pm
Here's a situation I saw last week. A player for Team A tackled a player from Team B after the whistle and was flagged. Team B's player reacts and gets a flag. Both dead ball unsportsmanlike fouls I assume. The end result was Team A was not penalized, the flag was picked up and ignored. No signal for waiving it off or anything. Team B was then penalized for the unsportsmanlike foul for the retalliation and the player was ejected because it was his 2nd unsportsmanlike foul. Shouldn't the initial foul on Team A also be enforced which would offset the fouls?

Also from that same game, does the head coach have to call timeout to get an explanation? And is the referee required to give an explanation to the coach if asked?
From your description, both are 15 yard dead ball fouls and the yardage would offset. However, since it is the B player's 2nd UNS, he has disqualified himself from the rest of the game. That part is enforced. (My question to you is why would a Team A player (Team A normally refers to the offense) tackle a player on defense?

The head coach would be required to call a time out only to discuss MISAPPLICATION OF A RULE. If he is right, the time out is not charged to his allotment. He doesn't get that privilege if he calls time out to complain about the call. If he does, the time out is charged to his team and the Referee is not required to explain what was called, although there are some who dig themselves a hole by trying.

ABC™

October 04, 2017, 09:59:59 pm #2 Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:06:05 pm by ABC™
My mistake. Referred to the teams backwards.

Thanks for the answer.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas