• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

Oh it's not hard to show proof of job searches.  So he's just drawing a million per year unemployment benifits?

LRRandy

Quote from: Valleysports on December 30, 2017, 06:05:59 pm
Oh it's not hard to show proof of job searches.  So he's just drawing a million per year unemployment benifits?
say valley, what's going on with your mighty sec this bowl season? Record of 1-3 to start while the slow plodding B1G has started 5-0. You been sitting at home waving your sec pennant?

bdubyab60

Did you really expect Mizzou and Kentucky to win bowl games.

cuckoobird

I bet the Big 10 doesn't win one playoff game

LRRandy

December 30, 2017, 08:26:57 pm #1554 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:30:04 pm by LRRandy
Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2017, 07:59:40 pm
I bet the Big 10 doesn't win one playoff game
hang your hat on that because they have clearly become the best conference. This will be the post season that causes the sec to totally lose any benefit of the doubt. The sec has more playoff participants than bowl wins and when they both lose Monday the demise will be complete.

LRRandy

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 30, 2017, 07:54:50 pm
Did you really expect Mizzou and Kentucky to win bowl games.
funny how time and results change perception isn't it. Used to be sec and bowl games meant expected domination. Now sec fans don't even expect wins.

cuckoobird

The big ten is the 3rd best conference.

bdubyab60

Funny how beating PAC 12 teams makes BiG 10 fans think their conference is any better.

Two years ago the SEC sucked in bowl games. Last year decent if I remember correctly. If the Hogs hadn't of choked away another win it would have been better.

Maybe if Wisconsin could figure out how to beat Ohio State and if Ohio State could figure someway to beat every team on their weak schedule and not lose by 75 to an unranked team it might change ones perception of that conference.

The committee and the rankings folks will pay zero attention. It will be the same ole same ole until someone knocks off one of the big boys. Every SEC team losing will not effect anyone's perception of Bama and Georgia if they are still killing teams next year. Just like beating USC has no bearing on what Ohio State will do next year.

Bowl games are just money grabs now

LRRandy

December 31, 2017, 06:35:36 am #1558 Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:13:47 am by LRRandy
Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 30, 2017, 10:32:18 pm
Funny how beating PAC 12 teams makes BiG 10 fans think their conference is any better.

Two years ago the SEC sucked in bowl games. Last year decent if I remember correctly. If the Hogs hadn't of choked away another win it would have been better.

Maybe if Wisconsin could figure out how to beat Ohio State and if Ohio State could figure someway to beat every team on their weak schedule and not lose by 75 to an unranked team it might change ones perception of that conference.

The committee and the rankings folks will pay zero attention. It will be the same ole same ole until someone knocks off one of the big boys. Every SEC team losing will not effect anyone's perception of Bama and Georgia if they are still killing teams next year. Just like beating USC has no bearing on what Ohio State will do next year.

Bowl games are just money grabs now
so much fail in your post.

No what's funny is the pac12 showing in the bowl season diminishes the B1G bowl dominance but the sec falling on its face makes bowls just money grabs. The three New Year 6 games that were won came against the 8th, 10th, and 11th ranked teams. The 8th ranked team is a conference champion and got dominated by THE Ohio State university. The same people that anointed Alabama ( undeserved) and Georgia (deserved) into the playoffs are the same people that ranked the B1G opponents so high. You can't have it both ways but yet your position conflicts itself at every turn.

The sec has several games to salvage the bowl season. (Of course the games are only money grabs right). A few wins, particularly on Monday can make the early game losses less meaningful. More losses, particularly on Monday will highlight what has been becoming apparent for several seasons now. The sec is just another conference in the yearly race for who's best, not the dominant conference it had been.

If you want to talk about weak schedules look at Alabamas not tOhio States. Wins against 3 top ten teams with victories over a 13 win team, two teams that won 11 games ( one being a conference champ) and their fourth best win came against a 10 win team. What was Bama's fourth best win? Mercer?

bdubyab60

Quote from: LRRandy on December 31, 2017, 06:35:36 am
so much fail in your post.

No what's funny is the pac12 showing in the bowl season diminishes the B1G bowl dominance but the sec falling on its face makes bowls just money grabs. The three New Year 6 games that were won came against the 8th, 10th, and 11th ranked teams. The 8th ranked team is a conference champion and got dominated by THE Ohio State university. The same people that anointed Alabama ( undeserved) and Georgia (deserved) into the playoffs are the same people that ranked the B1G opponents so high. You can't have it both ways but yet your position conflicts itself at every turn.

The sec has several games to salvage the bowl season. (Of course the games are only money grabs right). A few wins, particularly on Monday can make the early game losses less meaningful. More losses, particularly on Monday will highlight what has been becoming apparent for several seasons now. The sec is just another conference in the yearly race for who's best, not the dominant conference it had been.

If you want to talk about weak schedules look at Alabamas not tOhio States. Wins against 3 top ten teams with victories over a 13 win team, two teams that won 11 games ( one being a conference champ) and their fourth best win came against a 10 win team. What was Bama's fourth best win? Mercer?
You know th PAC 12 is weak despite their rankings. My main point is these Bowl results will have absolutely no effect on next year. As you would say when the SEC was actually the best the BIG10 is overrated. Yes Wisconsin was ranked high, but everyone new they were weak. They hadn't beat anybody until last night.

You know what Bama didn't do. That was get blown out by Iowa. This playoff system will be just as bad as voting for a champion here in a few years if it already isn't. The goal post keeps moving to get in to the darn thing

I'm all for doing away with the pre season rankings and letting conference champs settle and having a couple at large bids. Because this is what happens, Ohio State gets its good class, OU, GA and so on with top tiered programs. Pre-season rankings come out and every other team in America has a mountain to climb to get anywhere.

If Arkansas, Ole Miss or MSU had been 12-1 but without a Conference title out of the SEC. each one of those teams wouldn't have made the playoff and Ohio State would have been in over them. The blue blood would go over any of those no matter schedule.

That's what you are upset about. Is you hope that all the SEC teams lose. Then next year somehow the way the BIG10 performed in bowl games will have more weight next year. I think what works better is the name of the school.

The bowl games have become just a football game to watch to me. I watch them because I like football. This is just where I'm at. But I sure don't expect teams that Arkansas could almost beat to win their bowl games.

But I don't think that next year the committee is gonna look back and say the SEC went 0-8 or whatever in bowl games. Then keep Bama or GA out of a playoff if they lose one close game next year.

Just seems to me all of these conferences are top heavy, kind of like 2A football. Then the rest of these bowl games are whichever team wants to win. I mean it does seem hard for a team to get fired up for the Tapax Chicken Stop Pizza Bowl.

And there is no fail in that post. It's the truth. Swing it how you want. At least Ohio State has a chance every year to make the playoff before a game is even played. Just like several other teams. As a matter of fact I bet the pre-season rankings will have you guys pretty high, top 4. Start the playoff day one

LRRandy

For the most part I agree with you that this years bowl results have no bearing on next year as far as individual teams go and how a team will preform next year. You gotta think though that the Clemson blowout in last years playoff was in the back of the committees mind. The inexplicable blowout loss to Iowa gave the committee and easy way out,  putting Bama in was the path of least resistance. If that Iowa loss would have been by 3 instead of 31 (gulp!) I wonder what they would have done. Bowls matter. To the teams playing them, to their fan bases, and yes to the overall perception of the conference they play in. Eye test is part of the talking points the selection committee uses. Even though it is supposed to be about what a team has done solely in that season the perception of the conference (who they play) is effected by the previous seasons bowl results. Let's say the sec wins 2 of the 5 remaining bowl games to finish 3-6 for the bowl season. How will the conference be viewed after that result than if the finish winning 4 of the 5 with a national championship. Eager to watch the games Monday to see if the relative weakness of the sec has made Georgia and Alabamas record a mirage or if they are actually strong football teams.

bdubyab60

I don't expect Bama to beat Clemson. GA and OU could go either way

LRRandy

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 31, 2017, 11:10:08 am
I don't expect Bama to beat Clemson. GA and OU could go either way
that's right where I'm at. If Georgia keeps Mayfield on the bench by controlling the clock and running the ball they should win. If not, it should be OU. Should be a good game to watch.

bdubyab60

Quote from: LRRandy on December 31, 2017, 09:22:59 am
For the most part I agree with you that this years bowl results have no bearing on next year as far as individual teams go and how a team will preform next year. You gotta think though that the Clemson blowout in last years playoff was in the back of the committees mind. The inexplicable blowout loss to Iowa gave the committee and easy way out,  putting Bama in was the path of least resistance. If that Iowa loss would have been by 3 instead of 31 (gulp!) I wonder what they would have done. Bowls matter. To the teams playing them, to their fan bases, and yes to the overall perception of the conference they play in. Eye test is part of the talking points the selection committee uses. Even though it is supposed to be about what a team has done solely in that season the perception of the conference (who they play) is effected by the previous seasons bowl results. Let's say the sec wins 2 of the 5 remaining bowl games to finish 3-6 for the bowl season. How will the conference be viewed after that result than if the finish winning 4 of the 5 with a national championship. Eager to watch the games Monday to see if the relative weakness of the sec has made Georgia and Alabamas record a mirage or if they are actually strong football teams.
If Ohio State had of smoked Wisconsin I think they would have gotten in.

I just don't think if Bama loses to the #1 team in the country that it's that big of a deal. I haven't looked at the lines but most are picking them to lose. So this game in no way effects what will happen to Bama next year. OU is probably favored over GA.

The conference will probably be and probably already is being viewed as it was two years ago when it seemed like every SEC team lost in their bowl games and the ones they won they were expected too.

If Bama goes 12-1 next year, even without a conference championship they will be in the discussion again. Any name team finishing at the top of their conference will. Just think of how consistent Wisconsin has been. 13-1 and once they lost to Ohio State they were done. But if that was Bama they probably get in. That's not the perception of the conference but of Bama.

bdubyab60

Quote from: LRRandy on December 31, 2017, 11:25:37 am
that's right where I'm at. If Georgia keeps Mayfield on the bench by controlling the clock and running the ball they should win. If not, it should be OU. Should be a good game to watch.
Should be some good games

sportsguy80

Wow Ga pulled it out. Starting to think it may be an all sec national championship game...

RZback

Bama took Clemson in dominating fashion. 

bleudog

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on January 30, 2018, 08:13:18 pm
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/bielema-razorback-foundation-agree-to-11935-million-buyout/946095572

If he is smart he won't take another job those 3 years and concentrate on his health... He honestly started to worry me the last 2 years for his mental and physical well being. He was looking rough by the end.

footballfan-tastic

He's a big guy, hard on the body with all the hours and stress.

OB11

Quote from: beach bum on January 30, 2018, 08:32:45 pm
If he is smart he won't take another job those 3 years and concentrate on his health... He honestly started to worry me the last 2 years for his mental and physical well being. He was looking rough by the end.

I saw a Tweet that said he was making like $450 an hour or something ridiculous like that for not being the head coach at Arkansas. That's insane.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: OB11 on January 31, 2018, 09:43:59 am
I saw a Tweet that said he was making like $450 an hour or something ridiculous like that for not being the head coach at Arkansas. That's insane.

Its what college coaching has developed into.  Most all HC's and now many assistants get a buyout clause.  I hear Saban doesn't have a buyout. 

OB11

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 31, 2018, 09:47:09 am
Its what college coaching has developed into.  Most all HC's and now many assistants get a buyout clause.  I hear Saban doesn't have a buyout.

You can't blame them! I wouldn't mind making generational money for not doing my job.

footballfan-tastic

Oh I don't blame the coaches, I blame the university's for bad management of funds.  A lot of that money comes from booster foundations but it is still a shame.

OB11

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 31, 2018, 09:51:43 am
Oh I don't blame the coaches, I blame the university's for bad management of funds.  A lot of that money comes from booster foundations but it is still a shame.

You're 100% correct. University's have been making bad deals for a long time. It's crazy that institutions with so many resources and "smart" people making decisions enter into these kinds of agreements. But once a precedent has been set, everyone else better follow along or get left behind. Now places like Arkansas are paying for it. Literally.

footballfan-tastic

I wonder just how many of the decision makers are actually money managers?  It doesn't seem like many of them know much about fiscal discipline. This seems to be true of colleges and universities as well as public school systems.

Valleysports

Quote from: LRRandy on December 30, 2017, 06:11:54 pm
say valley, what's going on with your mighty sec this bowl season? Record of 1-3 to start while the slow plodding B1G has started 5-0. You been sitting at home waving your sec pennant?

Yes I enjoyed the Playoffs and SEC National Championship.  Just not into the Consolation Bowls /  Participation Awards.  Congratulations on beating the team you beat, in that bowl. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas